Code of Conduct

Default Portrait of a Lady... thoughts?

Hello, I've read through the reviews of PoaL and am intrigued, but am not able to seem to find a local sample of this. Nonetheless, what are your thoughts on the fragrance?

Sound Scents

Default Re: Portrait of a Lady... thoughts?

The perfect blend of raspberry jammy rose, spice and incense over a strong patchouli base that grows in intensity as time passes through the dry-down. The composition has seamless transitions between the spiced jammy rose open and early heart, and the patchouli led dry-down with absolutely outstanding performance. If you enjoy big jammy rose and patchouli fragrances this Ropion composed masterpiece is as good as it gets, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

What makes this fragrance better than most other similar scents is it's superior execution. It has a symphony of notes that have been carefully orchestrated to bring you a complex and enjoyable olfactory experience. Very well done!

It's quite distinctive: I recently smelt it on a passer-by (guy in his 20s) and there was no mistaking it.
    Lasts an age on skin, too.

I'm personally not the biggest fan of POAL because of the involvement of a thick rose note but if you're fine with it, there's really nothing better on the market.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I have sampled this many times and although I should like it based on the notes, I simply can not feel the love. Nicely done but something here is off putting for me and I don't know what it is. Yes, I was almost ready to buy it last summer at Barney's and at the last minute got something else. I think the best rose scent from Fredric Malle is Une Rose, which may be my next Malle scent.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Great scent - others are similar to this, but this one is probably the best in it's class.

However, go a bit easy with the trigger - this one jumps a LONG way.

I sampled it about 6 months ago and appeared to be a watered down version of my fave Black Aoud

It has the structure of a modern masculine woody amber overlaid with a beautiful rose. But the woody amber (I believe primarily ambroxan) is amped to the max, almost exhausting in its power. Yet the parts are well balanced. While I am usually not a fan of woody ambers, I do like and wear this one. I think that one's like or dislike may depend on one's reaction to said base (Une rose I think is also based on a masculine woody amber, but a different one).

cacio

I thinks it smells nice but I like others in his line much more.

(2355)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

It's a masterpiece! Fantastic longevity and projection-- it can be worn by either gender. It is a symphony of rose and dry patchouli.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    I sampled it about 6 months ago and appeared to be a watered down version of my fave Black Aoud
    Maybe not watered down, just a wanna be. Something doesn't work here. It's too linear and dull. Maybe it needs oak moss. Everything does.

Basenotes Junkie

Not a huge fan of POAL myself yet, but I keep testing it to see if I'll come around. The rose is so thick and powerful that I haven't been able to see myself actually wearing it. The knowledgeable noses that keep praising it make me wonder if I'm missing something special, and I have to admit that as a composition it's pretty brilliant. It doesn't lack in character or raw power, for sure.

Blog Entries

To me it feels like it would like to be a combination of 'Vintage Feminity du Bois' and 'Czcech and Speake no.88' (also vintage.) and wouldn't THAT be nice? But I just don't think it gets the job done.

"JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS OUT" "THEY DRAGGED ME BACK IN"

hello everyone:

I used to have a very large Cologne collection… but I was done with this… Then I experienced portrait of a Lady… Now I've been lurking on the board again… AN ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE!

Would love to find a 100 mL split with somebody… dragged me back in… LOL

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    The perfect blend of raspberry jammy rose, spice and incense over a strong patchouli base that grows in intensity as time passes through the dry-down. The composition has seamless transitions between the spiced jammy rose open and early heart, and the patchouli led dry-down with absolutely outstanding performance. If you enjoy big jammy rose and patchouli fragrances this Ropion composed masterpiece is as good as it gets, IMO.
    He said it perfectly. I would add. Its LOOONNGG.

Soooooooo strong..... 1 spray on the chest is all I can take. Some days, I don't mind it....others, I can't stand it.

Montale's Black Aoud is quite similar to it and is half the cost and smells better IMO.

I agree that Black Aoud is a similar rose-patchouli accord, and I like it better. There's a sandalwood or other woody note in POAL that reminds me of head-shop incense, and I just can't deal with it. The rose also gets "particulate" on me, as in almost powdery, and it's all just very, well, head-shop or old oriental antique shop or something. Very thick. Not my thing, but I do appreciate that it's well put-together from high-quality ingredients.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It is not to my liking at all..
    I sold my decant after 2 weaars

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Ropion composed masterpiece.
    <<<--- This & every word said with it...A grt composition.

Smell like a hairy hippy who refuses to bath for a very long time and use burn wood chips to cover his body odor. Not a lady in my book. It smells quite similar to the trendy Middle East inspired fragrances such as Rose Nacree du Desert by Guerlain or the Montales that have their Attar skeleton (there are many of them in Montale line up)

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I agree that Black Aoud is a similar rose-patchouli accord, and I like it better. There's a sandalwood or other woody note in POAL that reminds me of head-shop incense, and I just can't deal with it. The rose also gets "particulate" on me, as in almost powdery, and it's all just very, well, head-shop or old oriental antique shop or something. Very thick. Not my thing, but I do appreciate that it's well put-together from high-quality ingredients.
    Yes, its that fuzzy note in POAL and I cannot stand for it either and the drydown is powdery,

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I wish the rose element lasts a little longer. Like many from the line, it's well put together but somehow I just can't find the love for it. Something seems to be missing. Like a soul...

Malle's POAL (a misty and resinous rose/patchouli) is neither a sharp rosey centered fragrance nor a straight forward rose itself since a misty and dense fruity amber (spicy blackcurrant+ Red berries + amber itself + creamy incense) plays a role of co-protagonist enveloping the floral element (never typically earthy/grassy/botanical) and hints of incensey and woody "resinousity" in a denser art-deco voluptuous embrace while the floral element is more properly catchable in the final part of the trip. Anyway also at the end the rose is yet finally slightly "misty". I detect some Rosam's vibe (misty/resinous rose-patchouli) and in the HDP's one the rose element is effectively more central in the body of a less fruity but almost equally resinous aroma.

Wow, people either absolutely love it or hate it.

I picked up a sample at Barney's last night. From what spilled onto my fingers it lasted quite a while, and was strong in a feminine smell. I've yet to test it out as I tried Bvlgari Black and now trying Tobacco Vanille, but I may test PoaL tonight.

I tested it once at barney's on card and it was the one I kept sniffing the most afterwards. That rose was just so captivating.

I am yet to try this one

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    It has the structure of a modern masculine woody amber overlaid with a beautiful rose. But the woody amber (I believe primarily ambroxan) is amped to the max, almost exhausting in its power. Yet the parts are well balanced. While I am usually not a fan of woody ambers, I do like and wear this one. I think that one's like or dislike may depend on one's reaction to said base (Une rose I think is also based on a masculine woody amber, but a different one).

cacio
    Woody amber or ISO E SUPER , either one but there's too much in it for my liking. Same applies to Une Rose.

Also, the current formulation is very light on the patchouli whereas the earlier formulation has a lot of patchouli.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 4th January 2014 at 03:31 PM.

for swap/sale:

POAL is too feminine for me, but smells great on my wife. IMO one of the best feminine fragrances out there.

PoaL is awesome.

Rose d'Arabie which though not exactly the same, would be my fragrance of choice if I were forced to choose between the two.

Very feminine fragrance. People have mentioned Black aoud and yes it smells the same but not its too linear when compared to Black Aoud. Amouage Lyric man smells very rosy too. I guess I am done with the Rose based fragrances, sometimes they are too nauseating.

I love Portrait of a Lady for about ten minutes, after which I begin to find it all a bit too much. Is that the fault of the Iso E Super? It's like someone's turned up the volume.

Have you guys tried Rose 31? How does that compare?

This portrait is definitely of a beautiful lady walking in a Gourgeous garden garnishing many compliments...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by PungentPuncher View Post
    Have you guys tried Rose 31? How does that compare?
    Rose 31 is more of a peppery rose. The pepper and masala note takes over the rose note.

My thought is that the current issue is possibly a little ambitiously priced!

It's delightful. I wore it today for a wander round the better perfume counters in town and kept catching happy whiffs of myself. And another just now!
    Smelling good on a budget!

So I'm wearing this now. It's... lovely, to say the least. Classy. Elegant. Like slightly smoked wood with incense and roses. I can see wearing this with a vest and tie, or another elegant night out. I'm wearing it to work, and it doesn't seem to be too offensive, nor is it as feminine as I feared. I think the right kind of man can sport this!

Basenotes Plus

I remember enjoying POAL, but at the end it was just too feminine floral for me to pull off. Same with Carnal Flower which was also an awesome trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is fantastic! It reminds me of Czech & Speake initially but much softer and not quite as pungent. I get woods resin, incense, oh yeah and ROSE. It is very refined. Longevity and projection is fantastic and not that it matters, I always recieve a compliment whenever I wear it.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

really great composition i do not smell so much rose here but franckincense not so much feminine at all as someone stated but completely unisex ,i love it but very overpriced for what it offers ,expecially not big sillage and projection on a man skin

hi just sampled it, from my experience of middle easter attars, to me it has a similar kind of backbone, does not smell feminine at all to me, a macho man can definately pull this off easily does smell a little similar to montale black aoud

I'm in the hate camp. I received a decant of this in a trade a while back, haven't reached for it since...maybe I'll revisit in time, but not for now. There's something about it that rubs me the wrong way. The top notes are so pungent, earthy patch and florals...somewhat like I'm rolling around in the soil of a flower bed. Pass.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I'm in the hate camp. I received a decant of this in a trade a while back, haven't reached for it since...maybe I'll revisit in time, but not for now. There's something about it that rubs me the wrong way. The top notes are so pungent, earthy patch and florals...somewhat like I'm rolling around in the soil of a flower bed. Pass.
    I'm in the Chicago area too so if you ever want to get rid of it...

^ I don't find Le Labo's Vetiver 31 even in the same ballpark with Portrait.

Portrait is a masterpiece in my opinion. It's dry, has an amazing authentic rose. Excellent longevity as well.

I haven't really found anything similar to it. Some say the Heeley Hippie Rose is similar, I don't agree with that though.