Code of Conduct

Default Mens Facial Care suggestions.

Hey folks I'm looking for some suggestions for a few facial care products. I'm 30 and rather new to buying facial care and would love to hear from others what has worked for you or even what hasn't so i can avoid buying without getting a sampler first. I've slightly oily skin and not really any wrinkles and I don't get acne(if that helps with any suggestions).

Currently I use shisheido foaming cleanser. Seems to last forever and I like that there isn't a scent to the wash.
    - I'm looking for an exfoliant cleanser to use on occasion?

Moisturizer that I use is shisheido moisturizing emulsion for daily use. I find that it feels kind of thin/runny? I like it doesn't have a scent so it doesn't clash with any cologne I might be wearing.
    -I'm finding that as the day progress's I get a shine on my nose/forehead so I'd like to find something to help with that? biotherm t-pur is the only thing i've seen while walking through a dept store an they didn't have any samples available.

I use a bio-therm ultra-confort balm for after shaving. I had purchased after using a sampler, it just makes skin feel great too bad its scented.

Shaving cream I use proraso shave cream. Its cheap and hand down beats any gilette etc gel i've used previously.

Has anyone used any masks? and curious if you have to recommend.

Thanks in advance for any responses!
    John

Default Re: Mens Facial Care suggestions.

Exfoliant cleanser? Neutrogena or Biore make decent ones, no need to spend a ton of money.

If you're looking for a moisturizer or unscented aftershave balm, try Art of Shaving. Great stuff.

Shave cream? Proraso is tough to beat. (I'm guessing you;re using a shaving brush?) e^Shave is good, Truefitt & Hill is great, but expensive. Geo. F. Trumper makes good stuff, as does Taylor of Old Bond Street.

For masks? Just order a pound of green french clay and make your own with water. Or use a lavender or rose hydrosol to perk it up.
    - E.J.

Dependent

U should try m lotion from clinique, its very light and would help if ur skin gets the t zone shines

as for other facial products, my facial foam, toner lotion, scrub and mask are from methodeSwiss which can be found below. there is a sale going on and ive been using it for quite sometime already, good for slightly oily skin and great for t zone shine, only the moisturizer i prefer the m lotion that i mentioned earlier from clinique

http://web2.sasa.com/SasaWeb/eng/pro...tLineId=113574
    Last edited by MFJ; 5th April 2009 at 06:14 PM.

I have been partially converting my husband to the dandy's toilette! One of these days, I will get him to use a straight blade razor...

My husband swears by the Burt's Bees line of men's toiletries.

He has a very thick beard, which he shaves every day, and he has combination skin. The tube of cream aftershave is only about $7.00 USD and has a nice rosemary, bergamot scent. (This might not work if you are using other scent, but my husband does not wear scent to work.) For exfoliation, he uses the Gentle Buff Puff and Kiss My Face Olive bar soap. The olive soap is a great emollient and very inexpensive (about $3.50 USD a bar) ...unscented, too. (You can buy the chamomile, aloe or lavender varieties.)

He also uses that historical workhorse rosewater and glycerin for dry areas along with the Burt's. Rosewater and glycerin have been around for at least a century.

For actual shaving cream, he uses the pump dispenser Kiss My Face Shaving Cream in the unscented form. This is also about $7.00 USD for a large pump bottle. I used this for years, all the while urging him to try it (he was using Nivea canned shave gel), and one day--viola--he tried it an never looked back. He swears by it now.

Almond paste is also good for moisturising the hands. Sometimes good old cold cream will work, too. Cold cream has been around since the mid-19th century and originally had whale oil. The main ingredient should be beeswax. Now they use (thankfully) mineral oil or olive oil.
    Last edited by Primrose; 19th June 2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: add info typo
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I didn't bother for years but in my 40s I saw a documentary - there was a guy (in Central Park, I think) doing yoga. He could lift his leg straight up in the air parallel with his body - obviously very supple and healthy. He was 75. The interviewer asked him if there was anything he would have done differently to maintain himself and he just said 'I'd have taken better care of my skin'.

So - after a little exploration I settled on Aesop products (basic moisturiser) and I also like Perricone Face Care for Men - it's just (a) very dear, and (b) not popular enough for them to carry the Men's line here anymore. Why not grow old gracefully . . .
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 10th July 2009 at 10:10 AM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

The best exfoliating cleanser I've used is by Anthony Logistics. It's not cheap, but it's extremely effective and smells awesome. I use it once or twice a week at most, and it really helps my skin not suck as bad as it would normally

I usually keep it affordable and simple (this might shock fellow Basenoters) by using Avon products.

Basenotes Institution

I can recommend Clarins skincare for men ( blue packaging ) . My husband uses it now ,after years of soap. That's saying something - he has rebought twice over now which he normally wouldn't do. The aftershave products are very good and not that expensive - quite good value considering how long they last.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Nivea CQ10. Very good moisturizer with built-in SPF15. Nice, pleasant odor that fades fast. Good for my 41 yr. old skin. The whole Nivea line is very solid and very affordable and lasts a long time. Body Wash, face wash, scrub, it's all good!

I love Clarins for Men (blue packaging), but it's a little pricey. In the economic times in which we live, I'll buy Nivea and save my disposable income for other goodies like cologne, clothes and watches!

Since this thread has been bumped ...

Quote Originally Posted by nephandi View Post

Hey folks I'm looking for some suggestions for a few facial care products.

I'm looking for an exfoliant cleanser to use on occasion?

Moisturizer that I use is ...kind of thin/runny? I'm finding that as the day progress's I get a shine on my nose/forehead so I'd like to find something to help with that?

Has anyone used any masks?

The exfoliant. As a reformed scrub user, my advice is don't do it. Using a scrub provides patchy results at best, and harms your skin at worst. Option 1. Use your current cleanser with a facial brush. Option 2. Use your current cleanser with a wash cloth. Option 3. Use an AHA product. (Option 4: option 1 or 2 as above, plus the AHA product).

Moisturiser. That afternoon shine is your oily skin. Instead of the Shiseido try Armani's Skin Minerals for Men (the regenerating cream and possibly the fortifying serum) or Clinique Skin Supplies for Men 'Age Defense Hydrator' or, at the money-saving end, L'Oreal Men Expert 24 Hour Hydrating Balm.

Masks. Any clay-based mask should be fine - especially as you don't seem to have any particular skin care concern. One with sulphur in it would be a bonus.

Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. If you're not doing that, everything else is a waste of time (and money).

Shisheido Men line is excellent. I currently use cleansing form, hydrating lotion for after shaving and Total Revitalizer cream from this line. Lancôme Men is excellent as well but I find a little pricy for me.

As for the mask, Clarins Extra-Firming Mask (not from men line) is excellent, your face looks instantly bright and healthy after the application. However, I’m not sure if it’s suit to the oily skin.

For cheap mask, try home-made mask, made of yogurt plus a little bit of honey and few drops of lemon juice. Not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. If you're not doing that, everything else is a waste of time (and money).
    Do we need it for daily use if not often directly exposed to the sunlight? I find it thick and greasy!

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    Do we need it (sunscreen) for daily use if not often directly exposed to the sunlight? I find it thick and greasy!
    Yes, use it every day. I'll acknowledge that when the UV index is low enough, you won't burn the skin; and that sun exposure has health benefits; but neither of those are reason not to use sunscreen.

Try a few to find a sunscreen that suits you. Many moisturisers already incorporate a sunscreen - for example the Clinique I referred to is SPF15.

None of the 'invisible zinc' products that I know of are "thick and greasy" so you might try them.

Outside of those I prefer Garnier's Ambre Solaire SPF 25 Men - however they've discontinued distribution in this country - you may have better luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Yes, use it every day. I'll acknowledge that when the UV index is low enough, you won't burn the skin; and that sun exposure has health benefits; but neither of those are reason not to use sunscreen.

Try a few to find a sunscreen that suits you. Many moisturisers already incorporate a sunscreen - for example the Clinique I referred to is SPF15.

None of the 'invisible zinc' products that I know of are "thick and greasy" so you might try them.

Outside of those I prefer Garnier's Ambre Solaire SPF 25 Men - however they've discontinued distribution in this country - you may have better luck.
    Thanks for your advice!

I like the Nivea exfoliant, it is cheap, you can pick it up anywhere, and it is extremely "gritty" which I like. I have tried a TON of other brands and the vast majority don't have enough grit for my taste, Zirh was probably the worst in this regard. I only use the exfoliant however prior to shaving to get a closer shave, your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by SirWill; 13th July 2009 at 02:37 PM.

Just thought I would update with what I've ended up using.

Shisheido foaming cleanser
    L'Oreal mens expert micro buff exfoliant
    Clarins line control eye balm
    Zirh Protect (This is the one I was looking for a good moisturizer as I have combination skin and my Tzone was giving me grief. I found Zirh to feel very heavy when out of the tube but it doesn't get shiney on any zones and leave my face feeling very soft. I also appreciate the SPF15 in the product.)
    Pure Minerals mudd mask.

The moisturizers I've tried previous to Zirh are as follows; Clarins, Biotherm, Baxter, Lancome, Shisheido, Bioderm, Neostrata, Hugo.

Besides Avon products, I recently discovered a new no-name brand but naturist face cream, allegedly based on honey and beeswax, which is quite suitable for my facial care, since, because I have a mixed skin type, it moderates oily excesses while hydrating the dried, damaged, irritated or reddish skin parts, leaving behind a smooth, yet not fatty or clogged sensation.

I have been searching for a new product, found this stuff called Facelube. I got some and like it, but I hate ordering it off line, anyone know where I can buy it? Seen it in any stores?

Soap and water.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Retin-A every other night will control oil/acne, minimize pores as well as preserve elastane and collagen in the skin. The other days use a moisturiser that soothes and contains something like chamomile or aloe vera. I tend to use a moisturising face wash too.

I use a Palmer's cocoa butter wash and face lotion.

Clarins exfoliator is VERY good, a cut above all others I have tried.

A good moisturizing cleanser. Retin-A cream or gel and stick with it. A good Vit. C serum. A good moisturizer. A good broad spectrum sunscreen reapplied often.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Best anti aging product is sunscreen. Wear it everyday rain or shine.

Quote Originally Posted by MTB79 View Post
    Clarins exfoliator is VERY good, a cut above all others I have tried.
    Excellent stuff.

I'd recommend Every Man Jack products. You can't find in many stores but can get at Drugstore.com for a reasonable price. Nivea makes decent products at drugstore level price. On the higher end I'd recommend Jack Black and Menscience. Both have excellent lines.

Like was said above, get a cleanser and mild scrub. Use scrub 2 to 3 times per week. Menscience Cleanser and Scrub are both unscented and effective. Nivea's scrub is good too but is scented. Grab a facial moisturizer with SPF 15 or above and use during the day. Use a matte one, Jack Black's is very light and doesn't break me out. Also find one without SPF to wear at night.

If you want to spend a little more money I'd recommend a good serum to wear under moisturizer. One with vitamin c for daytime helps protect from sun. Lab Series and Menscience both have great options but are pricey. Tge best advice is to read up and test products for yourself. I started to get into taking care if my skin when I was about your age.

Although a bit on the pricey side, I'd recommend Menscience and Jack Black products. The Menscience Microfine Face Scrub is excellent, as is a the Scrub made by Urth. The Jack Black products are free of parabens, sulfates and other harmful chemicals.

I'd also consider getting a serum to apply under your moisturizer & sunscreen/sunblock.

Any suggestions on a sunscreen that doesn't cause facial breakouts? When I wear sunscreen it sometimes clogs my pores and causes acne, yuck!
    Looking to swap…look for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

Quote Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
    Any suggestions on a sunscreen that doesn't cause facial breakouts? When I wear sunscreen it sometimes clogs my pores and causes acne, yuck!
    I'd highly recommend the Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturizer with broad spectrum SPF 20. It has a matte finish and is loaded with antioxidants. I've always had problems with acne/oily skin and this is by far the 'thinnest' of all that I've used. Jack Black also has an SPF 45 sunblock with zinc oxide that I've used when spending excessive time outdoors.

On the cheaper side, I've had success with Nivea CoQ10 lotion, SPF 15 but it can be a little thick on the skin IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
    Personally I prefer physical sunscreen (contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) over chemical ones. Physical sunscreen tend to have a slight white cast for the first few minutes though. I like this one, texture is very light and doesn't break my oily face out.
    http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/prod...Impprod3060017

It is very similar to this http://www.sephora.com/uv-plus-hp-da...?skuId=1312958

I like the Claris one too. But it's very expensive and only has titanium dioxide

Due to my acne i like to use Neutrogena

Quote Originally Posted by VoltesV View Post
    Personally I prefer physical sunscreen (contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) over chemical ones. Physical sunscreen tend to have a slight white cast for the first few minutes though.
    I agree. I find physical sunscreens are lighter and more quickly absorbed. I usually use chemical sunscreens during the day but use the physical sunscreens when I plan to spend more time outside.

I really like the Nivea For Men UV Protector SPF 50 I got from Japan. Kinda pricey though and not bad. Other ones I use are:

*Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid Daily Sunblock SPF 50
    *L'Oreal Sublime Sun SPF 50 for Face
    *L'Oreal Ombrelle Complete SPF 60
    *L'Oreal Ideal Moisture Sensitive Skin Day Lotion SPF 25

My personal routine includes:

Anthony Logistics Deep Pore Cleansing Clay
    Kyoku Facial Scrub
    Men-U Face Wash
    Men-U Ultra concentrate matt moisturiser

Needless to say I would recommend each of them. My skin is normal to oily and they all help keeping it soft and dry enough.

I also used (and liked) Lancome Microdermabrasion Scrub and Shiseido Facial Cleanser (don't know the exact name).

My routine contains:

Bulldog for Men face wash
    St Ives apricot scrub
    Nivea Q10 Moisturiser
    Bluebeard's Revenge Shave Cream
    Nivea for men post shave balm

All these are pretty affordable and work quite well though looking at other stuff at the moment.