Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Dior Homme Eau for Men

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post

Yep....some guy at nstperfume.com and Riverwide agree. Guess that makes it unanimous. Or something. Attachment 26258
    Uh...where did I say it was "unanimous"? I merely posted a link to a review which I completely agreed with. No need to get so touchy. Perhaps it hit a nerve, did it?

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    I'm really anxious to try this one - seeing as I really like Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense and Dior Homme Cologne. Something in Dior Homme Sport rubs me the wrong way (the sportiness aka calone probably) and I haven't invested in a bottle yet, but I probably will just to have a full collection of them. As the full collection wish manifests, I can't help to be drawn to Dior Homme Eau as well. The only issue is the fact that I seem unable to sample or buy it in Europe. I've tried several tax free shops ranging from Italy to Switzerland to Norway - none have even heard of it yet - which is a shame.

Regarding the "ordinarity" of it - I'd say it's a good thing. I don't need all my fragrances to rear it's weirdly ugly or challenging head. Some times I just want to smell good, politely and without shouting about how crrrrrrrazy I am. It's as easy as that - and if Eau slightly resembles Bleu I'll probably be very happy.

Bottom line - thanks for all your reports on this fragrance. It looks to be a solid release. Yes, it is more of a marketing ploy than Dior Homme / Intense, but I still think I can identify with the fragrance and use it for those times I wish to smell pleasant without shouting.

You summed it up very well. It's not a game changer, but so what? Very nice scent regardless. Everyone won't like it. Wow...who would imagine that? Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    ... if Eau slightly resembles Bleu I'll probably be very happy.
    One thing that seems evident from the reviews of Dior Homme Eau, is that it garners the same polarizing opinions as Bleu de Chanel.

I think it's a very nice scent that garners compliments and is workplace appropriate and smells good.
    I dont want to smell like oud or incense everyday - this one hits the spot when I just want to smell good.

Tried this yesterday. It's the only Dior Homme flanker I don't like. It's not horrible but I just don't care for it. Smells a bit generic and cheap.

Personally I prefer DHI and DH by a mile.

Default Dior Homme Eau for Men

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post
    One thing that seems evident from the reviews of Dior Homme Eau, is that it garners the same polarizing opinions as Bleu de Chanel.
    BdC is a victim of its own popularity. Dior Homme Eau is a victim by having to follow in the footsteps of a line of excellent fragrances. Not sure It's worth going out of one's way to buy a bottle, but if one is looking for a fresh fragrance to wear I could see people smelling both of these and preferring this to BdC. Either way these are not going to be bottles that won't collect dust. Both are extremely versatile and non offensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by silentrich; 7th March 2014 at 03:12 AM.

Looking forward to future threads on BN regarding the magnificent qualities of vintage Bleu de Chanel and Dior Homme EFM. Not really kidding about that, either. If you're paying close attention you'll realize that both are high-quality, well thought out, even a little quirky. In fragranceland, those qualities rarely last beyond the first one or two releases. So to those who hate these fragrances: ha ha, it'll only get worse. To fans, and even semi-fans: buy now, while it's top-quality juice. These two currently are of very good vintage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Looking forward to future threads on BN regarding the magnificent qualities of vintage Bleu de Chanel and Dior Homme EFM. Not really kidding about that, either. If you're paying close attention you'll realize that both are high-quality, well thought out, even a little quirky. In fragranceland, those qualities rarely last beyond the first one or two releases. So to those who hate these fragrances: ha ha, it'll only get worse. To fans, and even semi-fans: buy now, while it's top-quality juice. These two currently are of very good vintage.
    I had not thought of that. Imagine BdC having to be toned down for the EU regs! Disturbing thought. I have a big bottle of BdC. Hmmmmmmmm.

Tried this tonight, finally. If I was to judge it on the first 10 minutes, I would have bought it on the spot. Loved that classic Dior Homme iris mixed in with the citrusy notes. Half an hour later, that gorgeous iris has pretty much disappeared and I'm left with something that brings to mind Allure Homme Sport, something that I'm not keen on at all. Very disappointed.

Mixed bag of opinions on this one! I still look forward to trying it when i get the chance...

Going off on a tangent for a minute, i gave my father a bottle of half used Dior Homme Sport a couple of years ago (original version). He liked it so much he just purchased a new bottle for his birthday. I was curious to see the difference, so we sprayed a little on his wrist.

I can notice a slight difference, its definitley less raw lemons, I cant notice the prominent ginger like before, and the overall feel is smoother, sweeter and creamier, rather than a straighforward citrus.
    Last edited by DMA; 7th March 2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Correction...

Noticed today that EfM has popped up at my local Boots and not at department stores! (for the benefit of readers over the water that's like giving the exclusive to Walgreens...). The juice? OK, but a bit too far down the inoffensive laundry route for me.

Yes, ive seen the coming soon advertisment online at Boots. Even easier to test. Ill probally go and have a look in my local one next week...

Guys this one is VERY potent for me, (maybe because I use Palmer's CoCoa Butter) I sprayed 5 sprays and it overwhelmed multiple people around me. Be careful with the trigger on this one. It smells amazing to me, It's in my top 6 for sure. It is high quality juice- well its from the house of Dior so, DUH For me this sent has (SLIGHTLY) better longevity and projection than Dior Homme unfortunately because I like DH more lol . Guys, get your nose's on this it's very very very versitile. It's the Platinum Egoiest of Dior in my opinion.
    Last edited by lunchbox148; 8th March 2014 at 04:43 PM.
    Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox148 View Post
    Guys this one is VERY potent for me, (maybe because I use Palmer's CoCoa Butter) I sprayed 5 sprays and it overwhelmed multiple people around me. Be careful with the trigger on this one. It smells amazing to me, It's in my top 6 for sure. It is high quality juice- well its from the house of Dior so, DUH For me this sent has (SLIGHTLY) better longevity and projection than Dior Homme unfortunately because I like DH more lol . Guys, get your nose's on this it's very very very versitile. It's the Platinum Egoiest of Dior in my opinion.
    This one is also very strong on me, don't understand the issues with longevity others are having with it... Three sprays on one day overwhelmed my work place!

The longevity's great if you can tolerate it for that long. Like a man who talks for hours but never says anything of any worth.

Tried this in my local Boots today, considering some of a praise it's been getting I was really let down, it does indeed smell like dior homme for the first few minutes but then it smells to me like a mix of Franck Olivier 'sunrise' and Givenchy play intense. Both fragrances I have and find ok but starting to seem a bit synthetic to me now. It does indeed last a decent amount of time, but it's just a synthetic bleggh of a fragrance.

Considering this seems to be getting more praise than Fahrenheit parfum I'm kind of surprised as that is so much more superior in quality, and just a far better scent.

This one is much more pleasant than the niche heads realize. Someone else said it perfectly in another post..."sometimes you don't want to smell like oud, incense and animal ass (civet)...sometimes you just want to smell good"

I knew this one wouldn't be appealing to those who look down their snobby little nose at ones that don't cost hundreds (plural) of dollars, isn't a niche product with a difficult name to pronounce and almost impossible to remember, and is released by a well known designer, intended to be appreciated by the mainstream and that will sell very well.

Smelled this today, love it. Great scent for work and general occasions that's not boring. I'll echo the above that I have no desire to wear DHI-type scents to work (the majority of my scent use), so this will fit nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    BdC is a victim of its own popularity. Dior Homme Eau is a victim by having to follow in the footsteps of a line of excellent fragrances.
    EXACTLY. With DH / DHI / DHS, Dior set the bar so very high. Perhaps that's not a fair way to judge Dior Homme Eau, but it's hard not to compare it to Dior Homme since Dior Homme is so easy to find and buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cosgrove View Post
    The longevity's great if you can tolerate it for that long. Like a man who talks for hours but never says anything of any worth.
    You perfectly summed up my experience with it. Dior Homme Eau lasted for ages on my skin, but after the opening faded, it did absolutely nothing for me. At the 6 hour mark, I was glad to get home so I could wash it off.

I think DH, DHI and DHS are each fantastic. Really, top notch stuff. Each had a purpose. This one... I don't get it.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I think DH, DHI and DHS are each fantastic. Really, top notch stuff. Each had a purpose. This one... I don't get it.
    Really?

Weren't you the guy who was arguing with and chastising beyondthebox because he said it was "moronic" for someone to spend hundreds of dollars on a bottle of cologne? Not so much because it was HIS opinion of what HE would (or wouldn't) do...but because he was "JUDGING OTHERS"?

Beyondthebox: You can create whatever limits you want for yourself. If a $50 limit works for you, rock on. But I do hope you understand the difference between what you think works for you, and judging what is appropriate for someone else. I'm still shocked you'd think it's moronic for someone else to treat him or herself to expensive perfume. There's a huge difference between saying "I wouldn't buy ____" and saying "It's moronic to buy ____" The first statement is about you, and the second is about you judging someone else. We all own luxuries that someone else would find frivolous. When I first joined basenotes, I was blown away by how much perfume costs, and then I looked at my cable bill and thought "Holy cow. How much do I spend on this each month?" I cancelled cable because I'd rather have the money for other things. Two months of cable = one bottle of Amouage.
    So.....DH, DHI and DHS "work for you". That's great...glad to hear it. Even so, you don't "see the purpose" for this one (Eau for Men)...even though throughout these 5 pages, several people have said that they love it, have praised it, and have bought a bottle of it. And that includes people (like myself) who don't own, or may not care for any of the others that you mentioned previously.

Really?

You seem to have deviated from your "live and let live" mantra, from just a week ago:

Delving into niche perfume taught me the difference between good cheapies and trash because it made me realize there's an entire world of smells beyond what sells at the mall. Some people just want to smell good, and that's cool if it works for them. I want more. Yeah, I want to smell good, especially for a date, but I also want depth and richness that pleases me. I want complexity that fascinates me. I want a sensory experience.

For us Canadians, The Bay will be getting DHE in a few weeks it seems. Someone on one of the Facebook groups received it since one of the Bay's received shipment early.

I'm really eager to try this.

What a polarizing scent! It falls into the Bleu camp.

I feel a fragrance can smell "synthetic" and "generic" yet at the same time also smell *good*

Really?

Weren't you the guy who was arguing with and chastising beyondthebox because he said it was "moronic" for someone to spend hundreds of dollars on a bottle of cologne? Not so much because it was HIS opinion of what HE would (or wouldn't) do...but because he was "JUDGING OTHERS"?
    Absolutely. It's one thing to say "I don't value fragrance enough to ever spend more than $50." It's another to say "I consider it moronic to ever spend more than $50 on a fragrance." Absolutely. I don't judge the guy for only owning cheapies. I do stand up against snobbery, including reverse-snobbery. Here's the exact thread you're referring to.

So.....DH, DHI and DHS "work for you". That's great...glad to hear it. Even so, you don't "see the purpose" for this one (Eau for Men)...even though throughout these 5 pages, several people have said that they love it, have praised it, and have bought a bottle of it. And that includes people (like myself) who don't own, or may not care for any of the others that you mentioned previously.
    Oh, calm down. I said I don't see the purpose, and I stand by that. It's my opinion. If you read this thread, you'll find many who love it and many who don't. Apparently, it's a polarizing scent.

I said I don't see the purpose for this one, meaning, within the Dior Homme line.
    The original is Dior Homme.
    A sport flanker? Check.
    An intense flanker? Check.
    A cologne flanker? Check.
    I don't get where this Eau fits in. I think it's the weak link in the Dior Homme lineup. If you read this thread as well as other reviews, you'll find that others agree with me. And you'll find that some others don't. And that's fine. If you love it, wear it and enjoy. Sheesh.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 10th March 2014 at 07:25 AM.

Oh, calm down. I said I don't see the purpose, and I stand by that. It's my opinion. If you read this thread, you'll find many who love it and many who don't. Apparently, it's a polarizing scent.

I said I don't see the purpose for this one, meaning, within the Dior Homme line.

I think it's the weak link in the Dior Homme lineup. If you read this thread as well as other reviews, you'll find that others agree with me. And you'll find that some others don't. And that's fine. If you love it, wear it and enjoy. Sheesh.
    I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy in criticizing someone for making a judgment call regarding the amount of money that someone else spends....while thinking that it's perfectly fine to criticize others for the actual scent that they like and wear. In the end, you're still criticizing someone, when you were lecturing beyondthebox on how rude and offensive it is to judge people on the amount of money that they spend. Whether it's the amount on money that someone spends, or the fragrance that they like and wear, a critical judgment call and criticism towards someone is still being done.

There's no hypocrisy here. I said Dior set the bar ridiculously high with Dior Homme, DHI and DHS. I don't think this release measures up to that standard. That's not a criticism of you for liking this Eau. Personally, for me, it was a scrubber. So be it.

Above, you seemed to suggest that anyone who doesn't like this is a niche snob, yet my comment was about how good Dior's designer releases have been. And you attack?

I knew this one wouldn't be appealing to those who look down their snobby little nose at ones that don't cost hundreds (plural) of dollars, isn't a niche product with a difficult name to pronounce and almost impossible to remember, and is released by a well known designer, intended to be appreciated by the mainstream and that will sell very well.
    You seem to want to pick a fight with people in this thread.

There's no hypocrisy here. I said Dior set the bar ridiculously high with Dior Homme, DHI and DHS. I don't think this release measures up to that standard. That's not a criticism of you for liking this Eau. Personally, for me, it was a scrubber. So be it.

Above, you seemed to suggest that anyone who doesn't like this is a niche snob, yet my comment was about how good Dior's designer releases have been. And you attack?

You seem to want to pick a fight with people in this thread.
    Sportsfan is using a logical fallacy called a straw man or if your from the UK it's called an Aunt Sally. Look it up and you'll be amused.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Sportsfan is using a logical fallacy called a straw man or if your from the UK it's called an Aunt Sally. Look it up an you'll be amused.
    A straw man argument wouldn't use actual quotes from L'Homme Blanc Individuel...it would be twisting words and making stuff up. It operates under an assumption. I didn't do either or operate from such a pretext, because I used L'Homme Blanc Individuel's actual posts. His words are right there in print and I quoted them, I didn't alter or doctor anything. His posts are the best source of evidence towards the point that I'm making. If this was a court case, the prosecutor's job would have been made very easy by having a paper trail laid out like this.

And L'Homme Blanc Individuel....I'm not picking a fight, I'm simply pointing out how hypocritical and disingenuous it is for anyone to lecture others when they believe they are making a judgment call regarding a group of people....only to turn around and do the same thing towards another group of people. And when you or anyone else insults a product that people like and are coming forward in this thread saying that they like, you are essentially telling them that they are idiots (for liking it). Which is basically what beyondthebox did towards people who spend over a certain amount of money a bottle of cologne...which is what offended you and got you so upset in the first place.

Not sure what the topic of this thread is (was) as I don't have time to read it right now - please could someone read back & try to find it?

Thank you.

Sorry, lpp...didn't mean to get sidetracked or go off-topic. I apologize for my last couple of posts that headed in that direction. From now on, I will keep my comments focused on the product that is being discussed.

Thank you, SportsFan - hopefully everyone will do the same or check out some of the other current threads

I've tried it once and enjoyed it. I don't have Dior Homme Sport, so the citrus that's included in Eau is perfect for me as I already have and enjoy DH and DHI. I think for those who have DHS, this might be too close, but for those without, it could fill a 'need'.

Basenotes Junkie

I, for one, will be wearing DHE to work today - inspired somewhat by all the activity in this thread

Bought it the first weekend available in Houston, and am still loving it.

Just for grins, I'll report back tonight.

I happened to be in Macy's yesterday so I gave this a try.

FWIW, this is coming from someone who doesn't particularly like DH or DHI. I have not done much exploration of iris as a note so I don't yet know if I dislike iris in general, or just its rendition in DH in combination with the cocoa. Not only do I find it somewhat less than masculine on a test strip, but the "grandma's lipstick" scent gets a bit nasty on my skin, almost sour. I didn't really know what to expect of DHEFM but this thread gave me the general impression that it was different enough from its predecessors (for better or worse) that it would at least be interesting.

I just want to say that the name of this frag is ridiculous. Dior Homme Eau for Men, a spectacular marketing coup by the Department of Redundancy Department. Maybe they felt the repetition was necessary to convince people that this Dior Homme is the manly one. Should we anticipate a future release of Dior Homme Eau for Women?

It actually smells okay to me. The "Eau" part of the name is appropriate IMO, since it comes off as a slightly more watery fresh summer-wearable version of the original. Not an aquatic by any means, but in that direction from the original DH. The iris is still noticeable, but gone is the grandma's lipstick smell that turned me off of DH. I wore one generous spray on each wrist, and projection was pretty solid (couple of feet) for about 90 minutes, after which it seemed to drop off quickly along with the fading of the iris. After that, I totally get the comparison to Chanel Allure Homme Sport, and it smelled somewhat linear from the 90 minute point to becoming a skin scent around 4-5 hours, and it was gone to my nose around 9 hours. I also kept a test strip, and 36 hours after spraying it is still quite persistent on paper. IMO a spray to your clothes (which I didn't do) would be a good way to get a little longevity to last through a work day.

This flanker is more wearable for me, probably for similar reasons why some people who love DH and DHI may not like DHEFM. I won't be buying it because to me it's "just okay" and I can find better ways to spend $80 as I build my wardrobe. But it does smell fresh & clean, it's inoffensive, it's from a respected house, and its price will appeal to a wide audience. It will probably sell very well.

Dior Homme Eau for Women? Now there is an idea....

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    I, for one, will be wearing DHE to work today - inspired somewhat by all the activity in this thread

Bought it the first weekend available in Houston, and am still loving it.

Just for grins, I'll report back tonight.

Reporting back from today's wearing, with a little objective data.

7:40am: Applied 4 sprays, 2 on chest/undershirt, 1 each on both wrists, for a total of 4
    12:00pm: Lunch time check and I'm still getting a nice scent bubble that is noticeable as I move around
    3:15pm: Down to a skin scent on my exposed wrists, but still pretty hefty on my chest/shirt
    5:30pm: Have to put my nose right to my wrists to smell it, but shirt is still moderately strong

So, as far as wear performance, I got about 7:35, between application and the point I noticed DHE down to a skin scent on my wrists. On my shirt, it lasted within close-quarter range the business day, plus a bit. If I were going out for dinner, I would've hit one or two more sprays to freshen up.

All throughout, I thought the scent smelled pretty good to very good. It died down gracefully, with not bad spots during this wearing.

Have to pop into my local town now, going to be passing Boots so i shall see if they have this in stock, and if they do give myself a spray and see what its all about...

Just tried this in store. SAs out in force in Boots. First impression is of damp cardboard, glue sticks and bubble-bath. I've got a carded sample for sniffing later.

Tried this again today - still not impressed. But I want to be impressed. Its just too weak for me. I like the ingredients and the smell but need it all magnified X 5. I want more of the iris and more of the citrus.
    Unfortunately, at the same time , I sprayed Fahrenheit Parfum on the other arm. Homme Eau suddenly made Fahrenheit Parfum seem very much more interesting and complex when comparing one against the other all afternoon.

I'll have to give this one a sniff....But so far, havent been impressed with any of Dior's fragrances...not one...Im selling Dior homme becasue of that lipstick powdery thing going on...Not my cup of tea...

I would love to find a nice SUMMER fragrance preferably citrus that actually LASTS all day in the hot heat...I can't wear the incensy woodsy stuff here in Florida except perhaps at night...Clean and Fresh scents are good but so utterly boring...Still looking for that perfect panacea fragrance for the Summer....
    Looking for Byredo Pulp -

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    I'll have to give this one a sniff....But so far, havent been impressed with any of Dior's fragrances...not one...Im selling Dior homme becasue of that lipstick powdery thing going on...Not my cup of tea...

I would love to find a nice SUMMER fragrance preferably citrus that actually LASTS all day in the hot heat...I can't wear the incensy woodsy stuff here in Florida except perhaps at night...Clean and Fresh scents are good but so utterly boring...Still looking for that perfect panacea fragrance for the Summer....
    Citrus fragrances by nature will not last all day long. Probably the best I am aware of is Acqua Viva by Profumum.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Acqua di Parma Essenza is very clean, fresh, neroli/citrus throughout, and works great in heat (I'm in SoCal and our summers are 110-125F) and lasts a long time (10+ hours). Terre d'Hermes EDT is also great in the summer, with that citrus fruit smashed on hot rocks sort of vibe - and definitely lasts all day. TDC Sel de Vetiver and Heeley Sel Marin are also excellent in the summer - slightly different from citrus, but definitely have that hot summer vibe, and longevity is above average. I personally also like Tom Ford Grey Vetiver in the spring and summer - another one that lasts all day. If you can get your hands on Dior Vetiver (sadly discontinued) - this one works all day and does well in the heat. All these recommendations are definitely not boring, they all have distinct personalities, and are some of my all time favorites.

My 2 cents on Dior Homme Eau without having smelled it...

Yes, that's right, after a couple of months going back and forth between this (interesting) thread and the fragrance store, I finally decided (frustrated) to write to Dior about DH Eau. Still not available where I live (carribean), but I go to France at least once a year, so...

I was surprised by their answer : DHE will NOT be commercialised in France.

We're certainly more used to the other way around (Jules, DHI, Fahrenheit Parfum,...).

Is it the first time they release a masculine fragrance only for the USA (and UK) ? (it is absent on all the Dior online local sites except US & UK).

Why would they do that ?

(I'm only trying to guess here, so bear with me...please)

Perhaps Dior Homme (original) sales are still below their expectations on the US market...and Dior Homme Sport is a better seller here...

Then...I remembered a post I read here on BN :

And there's where the huge irony comes in. I've had Dior Homme, and sampled several times Dior Homme Sport, Dior Homme Cologne...pretty much all of them except Dior Homme Intense. And to me, this was the first one that I really liked enough to not only feel OK wearing it, but in actually wanting to own a bottle. I owned Dior Homme before, but sold my 95% full bottle of it, primarily because it was simply a bit too feminine/odd smelling for my taste (my tastes are considerably more mainstream, I realize that). But that's why they came out with this one and released it in America, where tastes in fragrances are a bit more mainstream....to satisfy another segment of the market. Interestingly enough, this is one I've actually received several compliments on while wearing.
    What do you guys think ? Are tastes in USA generally more "mainstream", more "safe" ?

Another thing I was wondering about : if it is in fact generally so...why NOT releasing it in France (and Europe...and the rest of the world too...) ?

Has Dior Homme Eau been deemed redundant in the Line (DHS, DHC...) for the rest of the world ?

Did Dior even presented it to focus groups (in France, Europe and other countries) for testing ?

Regards,
    LJD
    Last edited by LJD; 16th March 2014 at 11:42 PM.

This is Dior Homme with a big dose of synthetic woody amber. As a huge fan of Dior Homme, I'm disappointed by this. The opening is ok, but after that wears off, it's garbage.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    What do you guys think ?
    I think the explanation may be simpler than that conspiracy theory.

The name Dior Homme Eau for Men would simply not fly in France. It's something that must have originated from the Department of Redundancy Department. It works in the US (I guess) because few people speak French and general population doesn't realize "Homme" and "for Men" is... rather redundant. I have a feeling DHEFM was created purely for the North American market, hence why they didn't spend much time thinking the name idea all the way through, and why it wouldn't work in France even if they tried to sell it there.

Perhaps because it smells just like a lady's purse they felt the need to tack on the words "For Men". People may get confused otherwise.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 17th March 2014 at 10:16 AM.

Blog Entries

My 2 cents on Dior Homme Eau without having smelled it...

Yes, that's right, after a couple of months going back and forth between this (interesting) thread and the fragrance store, I finally decided (frustrated) to write to Dior about DH Eau. Still not available where I live (carribean), but I go to France at least once a year, so...

We're certainly more used to the other way around (Jules, DHI, Fahrenheit Parfum,...).

Is it the first time they release a masculine fragrance only for the USA (and UK) ? (it is absent on all the Dior online local sites except US & UK).

Why would they do that ?

(I'm only trying to guess here, so bear with me...please)

Perhaps Dior Homme (original) sales are still below their expectations on the US market...and Dior Homme Sport is a better seller here...

Then...I remembered a post I read here on BN :

What do you guys think ? Are tastes in USA generally more "mainstream", more "safe" ?

Another thing I was wondering about : if it is in fact generally so...why NOT releasing it in France (and Europe...and the rest of the world too...) ?

Has Dior Homme Eau been deemed redundant in the Line (DHS, DHC...) for the rest of the world ?

Did Dior even presented it to focus groups (in France, Europe and other countries) for testing ?

Regards,
    LJD
    Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I think the explanation may be simpler than that conspiracy theory.

The name Dior Homme Eau for Men would simply not fly in France. It's something that must have originated from the Department of Redundancy Department. It works in the US (I guess) because few people speak French and general population doesn't realize "Homme" and "for Men" is... rather redundant. I have a feeling DHEFM was created purely for the North American market, hence why they didn't spend much time thinking the name idea all the way through, and why it wouldn't work in France even if they tried to sell it there.
    It's clear they didn't even name it properly for France, I agree. And that would indicate to me that they are not concerned with the French market (no pun intended).

This all makes sense. I like bolder, more "feminine", and richer fragrances. Even when you look at the sporty stuff, Dior Homme Sport takes the genre in a "Euro" direction.

I was in Macy's and immediately after trying DHEFM, I tried the new Karl Lagerfeld Men, which is also quite mainstream. Hands down, the KLM just won for me. Stronger, spicier, and a more natural fruit. I forgot about DHEFM instantly. That is how much they compromised Dior Homme.

I'm not saying it's BAD - I'm just saying it's not for me, and probably not for a lot of the guys who liked DH just fine.

We don't have to love everything Dior puts out. There are plenty of great things for all tastes. Right now, Dior Addict EDP, Dior Vetiver, and the various Fahrenheit fragrances are all thrilling me. I think I'm allowed to skip at least one Dior masculine and still be a fanboy!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Perhaps because it smells just like a ladies purse they felt the need to tack on the words "For Men". People may get confused otherwise.
    LMAO!

It's like testosterone shampoo and testosterone deodorant, or belt and suspenders. You can't be too manly about manly things!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    It's clear they didn't even name it properly for France, I agree. And that would indicate to me that they are not concerned with the French market (no pun intended).

This all makes sense. I like bolder, more "feminine", and richer fragrances. Even when you look at the sporty stuff, Dior Homme Sport takes the genre in a "Euro" direction.

I was in Macy's and immediately after trying DHEFM, I tried the new Karl Lagerfeld Men, which is also quite mainstream. Hands down, the KLM just won for me. Stronger, spicier, and a more natural fruit. I forgot about DHEFM instantly. That is how much they compromised Dior Homme.

I'm not saying it's BAD - I'm just saying it's not for me, and probably not for a lot of the guys who liked DH just fine.

We don't have to love everything Dior puts out. There are plenty of great things for all tastes. Right now, Dior Addict EDP, Dior Vetiver, and the various Fahrenheit fragrances are all thrilling me. I think I'm allowed to skip at least one Dior masculine and still be a fanboy!
    Well I really really love the Intense, the Sport (own 2012 version) and I just got the Original...(finally, just to check why some prefer it to the EdP). so perhaps I would not go crazy on the Eau...Not available to me anyway...

Redneck Perfumisto, I do have great news for you...I talked to the guys and they said you could keep your Dior Fanclub VIP Card...as long as you get Fahrenheit Parfum

Seriously, it's wonderful....and from your posts on the Fahrenheit Parfum thread and the idea I have from your taste...this is right up your alley.
    If Dior would work like Le Labo, I can clearly picture the bottle with your name on it
    I'll post (on the dedicated thread) more detailed impressions after I will have given it a couple of full wears.

Blog Entries

Well I really really love the Intense, the Sport (own 2012 version) and I just got the Original...(finally, just to check why some prefer it to the EdP). so perhaps I would not go crazy on the Eau...Not available to me anyway...
    I have that same trio - love 'em all. To me, the Sport is almost like a modern take on the old Eau de Cologne - I can almost spray with abandon. Great stuff!!!

Redneck Perfumisto, I do have great news for you...I talked to the guys and they said you could keep your Dior Fanclub VIP Card...as long as you get Fahrenheit Parfum
    Not a problem! Any club has to have standards! We can't have those ghastly Creed sample moochers or cross-boutiquing Guerlainistas getting cards - ridiculous! ( )

Seriously, it's wonderful....and from your posts on the Fahrenheit Parfum thread and the idea I have from your taste...this is right up your alley.
    If Dior would work like Le Labo, I can clearly picture the bottle with your name on it
    I'll post (on the dedicated thread) more detailed impressions after I will have given it a couple of full wears.
    I know I'm going to get it. Heck - Duty Free was invented so that I would buy that new flanker parfum!

Why would they do that ?

To answer your question....generally speaking....Yes.

There was a thread at Fragrantica where people were talking about "international TASTES" in fragrances....and the general consensus was that Europeans prefer more "smelly" things (and I don't mean that in a negative or insulting way) where as Americans prefer a more "clean" smell.

Generally, the top sellers in America are going to be the "natural, clean smelling" types that are generally lighter, etc. In Europe, fragrances that are heavier (i.e. - with incense, oud, etc.) and a bit louder are generally going to be more popular. That was the consensus in that thread, and judging from several members here and at Fragrantica's responses (considering what they like, and where they're located) I would have to say that's pretty accurate.

Also, if everyone is honest with themselves here.....they will have to admit that an overwhelming majority of male Basenotes members (and females as well, but we're talking about men here) have admitted on SEVERAL occasions....that they wear fragrances "FOR THEMSELVES ONLY". So.....taking that in to account...I would guess that the vast majority of men that are members here who wear fragrances don't even seek the approval of anyone else before they decide to buy what they wear. If anything, they may come to a forum like this and seek the approval of other men.....to see if it passes the "Is it OK?" test. Personally, I don't wear fragrances that other men approve of. I generally wear fragrances that women tend to like smelling on a man. And I'm not shy, so when I'm sampling a particular scent, I'll ask as many women as I can what they think of it. Women are pretty honest about this stuff...they'll flat out tell you if they don't like it. And I've had some tell me that they don't like Dior Homme original because they consider it to be a bit "feminine" smelling. And a lot of American women still prefer that a man smell like a man (more masculine). And in the case of Dior Homme Eau for Men...women that did not like Dior Homme (original), like this one. I never received random, unsolicited compliments from women the times that I wore Dior Homme (original)...but I do with Eau for Men. So yes...they are different, and wouldn't be redundant if someone who likes the original would like to consider adding this one as well.

You were right to ask this, LJD....but members referring to it as smelling like a "woman's purse" are generally along the lines of what I would expect from many forum members about stuff like this. Ironically the same member who said he thinks it smells like a woman's purse mentioned that he thinks "the opening is ok" but doesn't like the rest...and the opening is the part that is more "heavy iris/women's lipsticky". That only lasts for a few minutes, though, and as it settles down, it smells much more masculine that the original, which he prefers. So go figure.

Anyway....no "conspiracy theory" here....just a basic understanding of a solid business model. And understanding demographics and sales and what sells, and how businesses like to approach a particular market. And in America, Eau for Men will sell very well because of the type of clientele that they are trying to reach.

And to answer your question regarding Dior Homme.....Dior Homme (the original) is not available in Macy's.....or Dillard's.....or Nordstrom.....or Saks Fifth Avenue....or really any of the major department store chains. Sephora and Neiman Marcus (and there are very few Neiman Marcus stores in the US) are about the only major retailers that carry it....so obviously, it's not a huge seller or in huge demand. Otherwise, they wouldn't risk missing out on making a buck.
    Last edited by SportsFan; 17th March 2014 at 01:19 PM.

To answer your question....generally speaking....Yes.

There was a thread at Fragrantica where people were talking about "international TASTES" in fragrances....and the general consensus was that Europeans prefer more "smelly" things (and I don't mean that in a negative or insulting way) where as Americans prefer a more "clean" smell.

Generally, the top sellers in America are going to be the "natural, clean smelling" types that are generally lighter, etc. In Europe, fragrances that are heavier (i.e. - with incense, oud, etc.) and a bit louder are generally going to be more popular. That was the consensus in that thread, and judging from several members here and at Fragrantica's responses (considering what they like, and where they're located) I would have to say that's pretty accurate.

Also, if everyone is honest with themselves here.....they will have to admit that an overwhelming majority of male Basenotes members (and females as well, but we're talking about men here) have admitted on SEVERAL occasions....that they wear fragrances "FOR THEMSELVES ONLY". So.....taking that in to account...I would guess that the vast majority of men that are members here who wear fragrances don't even seek the approval of anyone else before they decide to buy what they wear. If anything, they may come to a forum like this and seek the approval of other men.....to see if it passes the "Is it OK?" test. Personally, I don't wear fragrances that other men approve of. I generally wear fragrances that women tend to like smelling on a man. And I'm not shy, so when I'm sampling a particular scent, I'll ask as many women as I can what they think of it. Women are pretty honest about this stuff...they'll flat out tell you if they don't like it. And I've had some tell me that they don't like Dior Homme original because they consider it to be a bit "feminine" smelling. And a lot of American women still prefer that a man smell like a man (more masculine). And in the case of Dior Homme Eau for Men...women that did not like Dior Homme (original), like this one. I never received random, unsolicited compliments from women the times that I wore Dior Homme (original)...but I do with Eau for Men. So yes...they are different, and wouldn't be redundant if someone who likes the original would like to consider adding this one as well.

You were right to ask this, LJD....but members referring to it as smelling like a "woman's purse" are generally along the lines of what I would expect from many forum members about stuff like this. Ironically the same member who said he thinks it smells like a woman's purse mentioned that he thinks "the opening is ok" but doesn't like the rest...and the opening is the part that is more "heavy iris/women's lipsticky". That only lasts for a few minutes, though, and as it settles down, it smells much more masculine that the original, which he prefers. So go figure.

Anyway....no "conspiracy theory" here....just a basic understanding of a solid business model. And understanding demographics and sales and what sells, and how businesses like to approach a particular market. And in America, Eau for Men will sell very well because of the type of clientele that they are trying to reach.

And to answer your question regarding Dior Homme.....Dior Homme (the original) is not available in Macy's.....or Dillard's.....or Nordstrom.....or Saks Fifth Avenue....or really any of the major department store chains. Sephora and Neiman Marcus (and there are very few Neiman Marcus stores in the US) are about the only major retailers that carry it....so obviously, it's not a huge seller or in huge demand. Otherwise, they wouldn't risk missing out on making a buck.
    +1.

SportsFan, Thank you so much for your elaborate and interesting answer !!!

I will definitely look for the threads you're referring to, I am always interested to find out and learn more about cultural tastes differences...

Obviously, I was not expecting the average Joe to have such an open mind when compared to a fragrance aficionado
    Still, a Basenoter living in the USA has to adapt (at least in social settings such as the working place,etc...).

I had no idea you could not find Dior Homme in the major department store chains ! That alone says a lot...

At the end of the day, I am glad they released DH Eau ...First, because it will definitely find a clientele ...it already has, according to the enthusiasm of some on the thread...it will make a lot of people happy...which is always good !

Also, because I hope that for some, perhaps DH Eau will be the point of entry into Dior fragrances...and they just might get curious and try the other ones...

Again, thank you !

Regards,
    LJD

This finally got released this week at The Bay in Canada. It's a crushing personal disappointment.

(+) Excellent waifing projection. This projection will garner plenty of compliments, and I predict may compete with the best in that category in notoriety. This should be a mainstream hit. Dior quality ingredients.

(-) Overly synthetic 1/3 Windex, 2/3 Nautica Voyage opening, with a dry down reminiscent of the ambient potpourri found at Sephora boutiques. Might be slightly cloying in humid weather due to projection performance (TBD).

If your looking for a light summer cocoa in the same category/price-point, I prefer Armani Diamonds For Men ~ considering it's sparkling airy composition brings a little more character to the table, making it lighter for warmer weather.
    Last edited by Arij; 22nd March 2014 at 01:35 AM.

Wore this today and enjoyed it a lot. I can still smell it over 12 hours later, and my wife complimented me on it. Great buy for me...others may hate it!

It's become my go-to work scent. I'll be buying a large back
    up as I'm already halfway through the 50 ml.

Dior quality ingredients.

(-) Overly synthetic 1/3 Windex, 2/3 Nautica Voyage opening, with a dry down reminiscent of the ambient potpourri found at Sephora boutiques.
    Huh? Dior quality ingredients followed by overly synthetic? Which is it

Blog Entries

(-) Overly synthetic 1/3 Windex, 2/3 Nautica Voyage opening, with a dry down reminiscent of the ambient potpourri found at Sephora boutiques.
    Windex gets a lot of buzz on here - they need to do a sport version for auto glass!

Windex gets a lot of buzz on here - they need to do a sport version for auto glass!
    The sport Windex will clean glass in nano seconds

Sorry, but Safelite AutoGlass already sells their own glass cleaner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."