Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default (2014) A New Year and a Fragrant Resolution

"Most people's goal on here is to push forward and expand their journey. ... I'm going to regress and go back to the roots."

Some background. I've been in this hobby since late 2011. Really actively pursued it in 2012, sampling upwards of 30 fragrances a month. Was also quite active in the first half of 2013 as well, but in recent months, I've laid back a bit. Been reading BN for a while, but started an account relatively recently.

So, 2014 is a new year. I was going through some tough times in 2011 and 2012, and I've been grateful for the fragrance community to help me get through it. But I think my mentality toward fragrances are slowly changing. I used to be a normal everyday person who felt cologne was something you spray once and forget about it the rest of the day. I then became a person who saw fragrance as one of the main parts of his life outside of school and work. Now I think I'm somewhere in between.

I don't think I'm ever going to forget the impact the fragrance journey can have on a person, but at the same time, I'm beginning to relate more with my former self (the average joe). I originally thought, for new years, I should think hard about what fragrance I'm going to wear. It's an important day and wearing a fitting fragrance is key. And I used to relate to many of the questions on here that said "I'm going to ____, what fragrance should I wear". Whether it's taking your grandmother to a wrestling match or going to a wedding, I found the answer to just be "ehhh.... whatever I feel like at the moment". Fragrances are marketed as and can be seen as thematic. You would wear a "dark" scent at night and a "bright" scent at day. Now, I just don't think so rigidly anymore. I don't think there are specific occasion scents at all. Dior Homme Intense isn't a romantic scent. 1 Million isn't a club scent. Acqua Di Gio isn't a party scent. I could wear them anywhere.

Most people's goal on here is to push forward and expand their journey. Nothing wrong with that. My new years resolution (as it pertains to fragrances) is the opposite. I'm going to regress and go back to the roots.

I know lots of people on here own 100+ scents. A lot of Youtubers try out new fragrances every week, some even commenting that they've neglected wearing their own collection because they wanted to review new things. I see that even with the 20 full bottle fragrances I own, half of them rarely get worn (like maybe once every 3 months). The fact that I have like 40 decants contributes to that.

I've tried hundreds of scents already. Plenty. And the more I tried, the more adjusted I became, and scents that would've knocked my socks off 2 years ago are "hmm... this is good" today. I'll probably still do some sampling in 2014 but my main focus is to revisit many of the old scents. Getting wrapped up in niche and all, it's so easy to underappreciate lots of good (though popular) designers like CK One and such. I used to view designer scents with admiration. Trying niche had certainly took some of the shine off them, but now I want to rewind the tape and go back in that direction. Not to invalidate all that I've done, but rather to add more grounding to what I've done.

So, my fragrance-related new years resolution. Instead of being focused on looking for more and more. I'm going to learn to appreciate what I have.

- Serene

Default Re: (2014) A New Year and a Fragrant Resolution

That's a good resolution. I hope to pull back just a little bit on the wild purchasing and shrink down some of my samples so I can wear fragrances that I already own just a little more. For example - my SotD today - it has been 1 year exactly since I last wore it. Seems a little odd to have a full bottle of something you wear once / year. But there are still so many I want... It's a tough balance to reach. Especially since my attitude about my collection goes back and forth with the tides.

I wonder if you will feel the same in a week (just your mood at the moment), or if this is more of a long term attitude shift.

Good luck either way!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not my mood for the moment. These thoughts have been cooking up for a while. I'd say ever since September of 2013, I've calmed down a bit on fragrances. Still, I'm way more fragrant than the average person. But way less fragrant than the average Basenoters.

For me, it's not about pulling back. But I guess more about slowing down and appreciating.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for writing, going to the roots for me means stop all the buying and enjoy what I had and actually I got more than I can wear for 3 lifetimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I am definately slowing down my purchasses this year and will enjoy what I have. And as much as I hate decants, there will be more of those than full bottles. Now that my collection has topped 100 bottles, how much more will I ever need? Yes, there are a couple on my radar, but the reality is that I have scents that cover very well the range of scent profiles I enjoy. This year I hope to get a couple more Amouage scents, ordering samples first, and then look for deals on a bottle or two. I will also be keeping my eye on Slumberhouse and maybe, just maybe get another Le Labo scent.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much sums up my thoughts and aims for the year as well. I now own somewhere in the region of 350 fragrances and that seems ridiculous. That's probably close to 30K spent in the past two years. When I think of what I could have bought with that, it makes me regret being so frivolous with fragrance purchases. However, I do see this as a hobby and every collection costs; when I look at the rubbish that friends splurge their cash on, it makes me look fairly sane! My wife also pointed out that I have copious options for each scent category and it's getting to a stage where I am almost duplicating fragrances (whether in actual scent similarity or occasion) for the sake of it; in addition, I'm just not getting the same kick that I used to when a package arrives, so it's time to put on the brakes, invest cash in other areas and enjoy the bottles on my shelves! Happy 2014 everyone!
    Last edited by The_Scentinel; 1st January 2014 at 06:07 PM.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Mamluk
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) Interlude Man
    4) Kouros (Vintage)
    5) Tobacco Vanille
    6) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    7) APOM Pour Homme
    8) Psychedelique [interchangeable with] Coromandel
    9) More than Words
    10) Millesime 1849

SereneGreen - you have a good sense of where you want to be now at this moment in your life fragrance wise. I admire that.

(2442)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iMac View Post
    Thanks for writing, going to the roots for me means stop all the buying and enjoy what I had and actually I got more than I can wear for 3 lifetimes.
    Same here. Going to try to stop purchasing until around November 2014. Basically to enjoy what I have for the next 10 months, then reward myself with the nice fragrance deals of November (Black Friday/Cyber Monday) and December (Christmas discounts).

Will try to hold off from even sampling, as once I sample a really nice fragrance, the urge to buy greatly increases.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really thank you all for the supportive comments, but I want to be clear on something.

I didn't mean to only talk about this on objective terms: X amount of fragrances, X amount of money.

But in more emotional, sentimental, qualitative terms. Like revisiting fragrances that you liked when you were younger but thought you outgrew once you discovered niche. Or spending more time with the fragrances in your collection that get less love.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    I really thank you all for the supportive comments, but I want to be clear on something.

I didn't mean to only talk about this on objective terms: X amount of fragrances, X amount of money.

But in more emotional, sentimental, qualitative terms. Like revisiting fragrances that you liked when you were younger but thought you outgrew once you discovered niche. Or spending more time with the fragrances in your collection that get less love.
    I understood that, but thought that I would give my own perspective and experience in the hopes of offering another viewpoint as you inspired me to write a short reply. I am just glad that others here are slowing down at the same time as me!
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Mamluk
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) Interlude Man
    4) Kouros (Vintage)
    5) Tobacco Vanille
    7) APOM Pour Homme
    9) More than Words
    10) Millesime 1849

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

There used to be a 'back of the wardrobe' thread here once - it's so easy to neglect the older ones.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    There used to be a 'back of the wardrobe' thread here once - it's so easy to neglect the older ones.
    What a great idea!
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Mamluk
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) Interlude Man
    4) Kouros (Vintage)
    5) Tobacco Vanille
    7) APOM Pour Homme
    9) More than Words
    10) Millesime 1849

I am finding more Basenoters are ressolving to 'pull it back' this year.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    I am finding more Basenoters are ressolving to 'pull it back' this year.
    I wonder when those of us with this resolve started this hobby. When I think about it, there have been some real masterpieces over the past two or three years that I have been into this, that could be part of the reason?
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Mamluk
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) Interlude Man
    4) Kouros (Vintage)
    5) Tobacco Vanille
    7) APOM Pour Homme
    9) More than Words
    10) Millesime 1849

I admire and respect your decision, but i'm planning to do the exact opposite.

Just make sure you don't get carried away when a new Creed or chanel or Tom ford private blend comes out and starts getting hype over here.
    I'm sure you're psychologically ready for that though
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Post Thanks / Like

It's always good to start such thread's for us, fragheads, so that we can think (again) about what we are doing...

For myself I don't know where this is heading to. I've slowed down the last 4 months but I've still bought new fragrances. I find it annoying that my collection is too large to really give my FB's the wearings they deserve.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    It's always good to start such thread's for us, fragheads, so that we can think (again) about what we are doing...

For myself I don't know where this is heading to. I've slowed down the last 4 months but I've still bought new fragrances. I find it annoying that my collection is too large to really give my FB's the wearings they deserve.
    Spot on. My feelings too.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Mamluk
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) Interlude Man
    4) Kouros (Vintage)
    5) Tobacco Vanille
    7) APOM Pour Homme
    9) More than Words
    10) Millesime 1849

Post Thanks / Like

I can't stop buying as it's my only hobby and I enjoy it immensely. As long as I can afford it, that is. That said, there's only two very big fish on my want list: the new Patou Pour Homme and Creed 1849. As I said in another thread, I am going to see how far into January I can go without buying a scent just for giggles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have taken big breaks, and they REALLY help. Wore one fragrance for a few months. Didn't buy any for about half a year. Breaking free is good. It helps put things in perspective. I didn't really know that I had the power to abandon all my fragrance until I came close to doing exactly that. So I encourage you to take that break. ENJOY fragrance like a regular Joe for a while - it's extremely healthy.

OP is noirdrakkar's new account. amirite?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I
    Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    I admire and respect your decision, but i'm planning to do the exact opposite.

Just make sure you don't get carried away when a new Creed or chanel or Tom ford private blend comes out and starts getting hype over here.
    I'm sure you're psychologically ready for that though
    Yeah. Lol. Im ready for a new creed. Worshipping aventus has lost its fun and royal oud isnt my type.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    Whose noirdrakkar?

I think your New Year's resolution is awesome. Mine is quite similar: each time I long for something new, I make an effort to rediscover the beauty of something I already have. I actually started my resolution a little over a week ago. In fact, I usually start my New Year's resolutions early, that way, I have a chance to figure out how realistic my resolution is before the new year even begins. I find that to be a great way of lowering the odds of failure.

Last week, I was dying to buy Tom Ford Extreme. Instead, I dug into my collection and rediscovered how great Al Rehab Silver is.

My other resolution is to exercise more, and that's going... uhm... ok
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I think your New Year's resolution is awesome. Mine is quite similar: each time I long for something new, I make an effort to rediscover the beauty of something I already have. I actually started my resolution a little over a week ago. In fact, I usually start my New Year's resolutions early, that way, I have a chance to figure out how realistic my resolution is before the new year even begins. I find that to be a great way of lowering the odds of failure.

Last week, I was dying to buy Tom Ford Extreme. Instead, I dug into my collection and rediscovered how great Al Rehab Silver is.

My other resolution is to exercise more, and that's going... uhm... ok
    My resolution is to keep being fat and I'm abiding by that very nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Serene for the rest of the journey, it is good to step off the wagon every once in a while
    and come back with a fresh mind

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    My resolution is to keep being fat and I'm abiding by that very nicely.
    lol welcome back and try not to get banned again

I hadn't purchased any fragrances for about 3 months, but broke down recently

2 out of the 3 were 'old school' though
    Yohji Homme
    L'ame d'un Heroes - Guerlain
    Bentley Intense

'I thought I was out -- but they pulled me back in again'

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome advice!
    I might try wearing the same one for several days.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep...Sounds like a plan to me!!! Enjoy I've already landed in obtaining my master pieces and thank GOD I'm satisfied..I have become extremely familiar with the notes that entice me , so what I do is get on a split (here and there)if truly enticed with specific interesting notes and obviously get a FB if personally find juice to be sublime...but I do fall back with all poise at hand every few months and just enjoy, enjoy and do more enjoying of my collection and buy Nada(Nothing,Zilch).....much success in your venture....Cheerios !!!
    Last edited by magnus611; 2nd January 2014 at 06:04 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents"

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    Really? I didn't make the connection. I always remember him typing everything in lower case.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Mamluk
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) Interlude Man
    4) Kouros (Vintage)
    5) Tobacco Vanille
    7) APOM Pour Homme
    9) More than Words
    10) Millesime 1849

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirNosebleed View Post
    Awesome advice!
    I might try wearing the same one for several days.
    yeah, i often do that. in a way, it's really enjoyable. to just slow down.

when you try to juggle 20 different fragrances, you dont really get too much of a feel for either of them individually. when i wear something for 4 days straight, i pick up an aspect of it each day that i never even knew was there.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I resolve to expand my fragrance collection because it's probably to small. Since it's possible that my parents generation is the last mortal generation I feel it's my duty to stock up for my infinite existence. The prices we pay now for masterpieces will be looked back on as the golden age of fragrance. The people that are shrinking their collection and depriving themselves of new purchases are making a huge mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    I resolve to expand my fragrance collection because it's probably to small. Since it's possible that my parents generation is the last mortal generation I feel it's my duty to stock up for my infinite existence. The prices we pay now for masterpieces will be looked back on as the golden age of fragrance. The people that are shrinking their collection and depriving themselves of new purchases are making a huge mistake.
    I hope your investments don't go bad in a few years...

Good luck with that.

Post Thanks / Like

How far are people with their resolutions?

I'm doing very well with mine. I haven't bought anything new yet this year, and I've rediscovered how much I enjoy some of what I have that I'd been overlooking. I may treat myself to a first fragrance purchase of the year in March.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Post Thanks / Like

I went over my Jananuary's budget slightly and need to behave this month

I agree about appreciating what you have. With my humble 30 bottle collection this is more than enough for me. I'm sure as the months go by I may start getting rid of a bottle here, a bottle there. I'll dwindle my collection most likely and stick with what I wear most because having bottles around that you never use is just a waste and I'm not one to hold bottles around just because they look good in my collection. In a way, I think as someone goes further into their fragrance journey, cutting back on the bottles you have is a sign of progression since what you'll have left are the fragrances you most admire and wear without the clutter and distraction of everything else.
    Last edited by Ronin; 5th February 2014 at 11:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought...NOTHING! So far, so good. Wait. I got a decant but I commited to that in 2013.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have been swapping/selling more than usual..
    No purchases so far this month!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't bought any FBs
    this year, but my decantshop.com addiction is alive and well. They've been having some kick b*** deals this month.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

I have cut back on the number of bottles, but not the money I spend. Quality, not quantity is my 2014 mantra.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still going on strong. My last purchase was in mid-December. Enjoying what I currently have and I do not regret my decision at all. My resolution is a bit easier because I still do get fragrance gifts on special occasions (such as Valentines Day) from my wife.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally didn't buy anything in 2014 yet...