Code of Conduct

Default Why do you wear cologne?

When I first started collecting fragrances (right around two months ago), I had multiple people close to me ask; "Why the need for so many different fragrances?". And that made me wonder, why did I need so many different bottles? Am I trying to satisfy some sub-conscious odor-based memory or desire? Does a new smell make me feel like a new man? Do I need to really buy every variation of L'Homme? (That answer is an obvious yes). These are the questions that I have been thinking about as of recently, and I thought it'd be nice to gain some insight from the community.

I guess my question is, what is the draw of buying fragrances? Why the need for collections of 70+? And I do not mean that to be rhetorical. In the past two months I have increased my collection from 5 to 20, which has resulted in me having to recheck my intentions.

Now I know the obvious reasons that men wear fragrances; it makes us feel more confident, it boosts our sexual appeal, and men who actively wear frags typically have better hygiene practices then those who don't. So why so many? Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my current collection and I really like buying new ones, I'm just curious why you (the community) choose to collect.

If another member could thoroughly explain the reasons why they collect that would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Why do you wear cologne?

My only reason is because I am obsessed with smells. I don't know why, it started when I was very young. Not for any of the reasons listed above.

There are probably many reasons - but one wouldn't limit oneself to reading the same book over & over for the rest of one's days so why should fragrance be any different?

Simply because it gives me pleasure.

(2443)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Why do I wear cologne? Same answer as hednic - it gives me pleasure.

Why do I collect fragrances? To give me expertise and deeper understanding - things which also give me pleasure.

If you know somebody who only golfs every once in a while, but who may actually consider themselves a golfer, they probably have their own putter. Next step up, a few clubs. A "real" golfer almost surely has their own set of clubs. But somebody who totally embraces golf has multiple sets of clubs - old ones, new ones, maybe some for travel, some that they gave away to friends and relatives when they got new ones, etc., etc. They probably keep clubs in the trunk of their car, "just in case". They take golf vacations, and even when they are doing something else, visiting a course is probably on the agenda.

Gun owners - very similar. To actually be proficient (and safe) with firearms takes effort and practice, and that means not just a single putter, if you really want to know what you're doing. There are even people who are analogous to Guerlainophiles, who can tell you the history of, say, Winchester lever-action rifles between 1850 and 1920, with names of inventors, dates, patents, calibers, ranges, numbers manufactured, etc. Which ones are classics, which ones are oddities, who used what, and so on. They are often people who write books, or who write source material used by books. Different specialties, too, very analogous to our own cults. Modern, classic, mainstream and niche. It's all there.

Anime - comics - home brewing - woodworking - knitting - general fashion - it's all there. What I find fascinating is how much human knowledge gets passed through these obscure channels, out of the mainstream knowledge base. However, I'm still waiting for the Perfume Channel on cable.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    There are probably many reasons - but one wouldn't limit oneself to reading the same book over & over for the rest of one's days so why should fragrance be any different?
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

(2443)
    I like both of these answers. I see it as interesting and another way to express myself. It is also a part of my grooming and hygiene routine; I spend most of my days in three piece suits and around a lot of people, so I see a good fragrance as something as important as choosing the right tie or a polished pair of shoes with a well-tailored suit.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Basenotes
    I use to have maybe 10 but it's the Brotherhood here..
    Being able to give and receive knowledge from so many people worldwide..
    Always searching for the next big thing..

My 1st real love was Chanel Allure..
    Now we are buying stuff from Andy Tauer..
    We know what he does but the rest of the world has no clue!!

Art on the walls, plants in the garden, photos of travels, liqueurs in the cabinet. Perfumes are in that class of things we partake in not because we need them but purely because we enjoy them. Not everyone is compelled to collect, that's true, choosing instead to experience these things as they come across them happenstance. I subscribe to that notion for art and gardens and liquor but keep photos and perfumes close at hand. Pick and choose but rarely does a person appear to collect nothing, satisfied by their memories alone. I think, in a way, I'm envious of those people--I'd certainly be less weighted down by possessions if I were more like them! That said, some things bring me pleasure and I've gladly chosen to have them.

Collecting fragrances is decidedly less common but no less valid than collecting paintings or music.

This thread seems to be asking two different questions: The title asks why we wear perfume, but the body asks why we accumulate more than the average person. There's some overlap in the answers but insofar as you can argue one needs a perfume at all, it's much harder to argue one needs a lot of perfume. Suffice to say, I think many of us here abandoned ideas of necessity in justifying this pursuit a while ago!

Mood enhancement, creative expression, sex appeal.

No particular reason, it just make me happy for whole day.

I don't. This just seemed to be a really fun forum filled with kind, creative and funny people so I just pretend so that I can be part of the community

Wearing perfume here is like how the Turkish have Hammams & the Chinese drink tea and the Egyptians smoke sheesha.

Just part of the culture.

I've been wearing perfume since as early as I can remember. 4 or 5 years old.

I'd always have a rotation of anywhere from 5 to 15 perfumes at any given time.

Its not a "its finished, you need to replenish'' culture.
    More of a "you're at the mall, so you swing by the perfume shop to see if they have anything new".

Now I harass perfumers to keep releasing perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I don't. This just seemed to be a really fun forum filled with kind, creative and funny people so I just pretend so that I can be part of the community
    I sort of knew it all along .
    Last edited by hedonist222; 2nd January 2014 at 06:20 PM.

for swap/sale:

A variety of reasons in my case: favorable personal memories, simply enjoying the scent and its individual notes, the need to both expand my scent wardrobe yet also put it to some use, the admiration, fascination, interest for a certain fragrance brand and also the tendency to publicly admit it, the additional personalizing of my outfit by means of fragrances etc.

I enjoy the variation of scents. The way these fragrances smell. Enhances my mood throughout the day, while being a hobby that is very enjoyable. Compliments from the ladies doesn't hurt either.

Because I bought into the notion, promoted by the kind people who will take my money and give me their toilet water, that it's more fashionable to smell of perfume than of primate.

This is an enjoyable thread because the answers to this seemingly obvious question are variable. I tend to agree most with lpp, hednic, and Tony T, and the answer from hedonist is interesting because of the cultural angle. My collection is small especially compared to some other BN members, but it is probably larger now than it was even one year ago. The short answer to this question is because it is satisfying to me.

Like there could be another f'ing reason ! I wear it because I like it ! It's an amazing smellable art that has no end. It's honest. I can always depend on it to make me feel a little better.

First and most important is that i enjoy the smells of my favourite scents myself. A signature scent to me is the same kind of feeling like a guitar for a guitarist (i think so), in the best case scenario it can be part of the wearer's person.

Secondly i connect the smells of my certain classic scents to the valuable memories from my past.
    Last edited by döfä91; 2nd January 2014 at 06:01 PM.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

For the Pure Excitement… And that unexpected whiff of sent in the afternoon… and no matter how bad the day is going…I tell myself damn you smell good!… and then I forge ahead in my conquest of the world

Certainly these:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    If one is feeling romantic / sporty / reflective - whatever - the scent can add an extra 5% like the icing on a cake. What also attracts me is the sheer simplicity of enjoying a good scent in a world that is more and more technological and fast-moving. There is also an element of navel-gazing, enjoying the luxury of spending a disproportionate amount of time contemplating ultimately irrelevant (to most people) questions.

I wear lots of different scents because I am a woman who loves variety. As to why scent, its just that I enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

(2443)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Why do I wear cologne? Same answer as hednic - it gives me pleasure.

I wear and collect for the pleasure, too.

As for the number of scents I wear and own, it's like having a wardrobe of different pieces of clothing. One does not wear the same clothes day in and day out, so why wear the same fragrance?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Here's Part 2 of a good doc that the BBC did.....Gives some of the reasons people wear cologne\perfume.....

I wear different colognes because I am curious and I want to compare one cologne to another. Do you guys have favorite cologne?

So my enemies and their sniffer dogs can't track me as easily.

For pleasure and to smell good.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's an amazing smellable art that has no end.
    +1

Wearing some fragrances have a way of catapulting me to a certain happy period in my past...it puts me in good mood.

I'm not sure why, but early in life I was fascinated with fragrances, usually the cheap stuff that your average guy wore in the 1970's. As I grew older, I noticed the powerful connection between the sense of smell and memories. That took me to Polo (and Proust). It reminded me of the forest where my family owns a cabin. Many great family memories are conjured up by that green bottle. From there, I became fascinated with just how many fragrances there are. When I discovered Basenotes, I realized that I was far from alone in my desire to delve much deeper into our collective passion (obsession?) for scents. For me, scent makes an already rich life even more memorable, similar to how the right spices make a favorite dish outstanding. Fragrance is the key to a whole new level of living. And ain't it nice?

Cuz i like to smell good

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I wear lots of different scents because I am a woman who loves variety. As to why scent, its just that I enjoy it.
    I totally agree! Do you have a favorite scent?

Because a simple spray is faster than a shower? ;-)
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Like cheese, pipe tobacco, cigars, kreteks, joss sticks, soy candles, essential oils, teas, coffees, single malt scotch, and craft beers... it's an available "spice in life" that I've enjoyed exploring.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Because I am a collector.

For me, tasting a great wine isn't different from sniffing a great scent. It's an experience, a reward in itself. That they come in some many varieties means more pleasure for mouth and nose.

"To embellish an already Dandy Man"
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by joev View Post
    Because I am a collector.
    Interesting! How many did you collect so far?

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    "To embellish an already Dandy Man"
    Couldn't have said it any better

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    However, I'm still waiting for the Perfume Channel on cable.
    Ah smell-o-vision... 4K Ultra HD is here (and it is glorious) but smell-o-vision would be even better. ;-)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Because a simple spray is faster than a shower? ;-)
    Ewwwww, really?? I'd rather smell clean, than like bad BO covered up with expensive perfume. That's what the French used to do way back when, but I'd like to believe our basic hygiene standards have gone up a few notches since then in the civilized world.

Or another way of thinking about it - when you shower you create a clean canvas for the scent. If you reek of bad BO, that expensive Amouage or Dior or Chanel is not going to make that stench that much better or any more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post

Here's Part 2 of a good doc that the BBC did.....Gives some of the reasons people wear cologne\perfume.....
    Great post!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Why do I wear cologne/perfume... Hmmmm... The answer is both very simple, and very complex at the same time.

Here's the answer to the "simple" part (the "complex" is too long, it would take a book to fill to answer this question).

We as humans have 5 senses we enjoy: touch, sight, taste, hearing and smell. I intentionally listed 'smell' as the last one, to point out that no one ever questions people's responses to the other senses, yet smell is often perceived to be a little weird, off the wall, and even unnecessary by some. An average person understands "smell" and "perfume" only to the point that they don't want to smell bad, and applying cologne or perfume is what you "do" to smell agreeable or attractive to others. But there's so much more to it, at least to those who understand the sense of smell is just like the other four senses we were born with.

No one questions people when they enjoy tactile, three-dimensional art, or just the idea of handling things and touching things - or touching another human being and how much pleasure that can give (to both parties). No one questions people when they enjoy drawings or paintings. No one questions people when they enjoy various foods or wine or other cocktails. No one questions people when they enjoy music. Sure, tastes differ within these various "art forms", but we all universally understand that music is music, some you may like, some you may not, but others may have different opinion. Same with paintings, food, wine, etc. Even if you do not appreciate certain painting or painter, or certain wine or winery, you generally do not dismiss it altogether - there are other people who may like the things you do not. And it's perfectly OK and we all live with these understandings, mostly harmoniously, and carry on with our everyday lives, searching for the things that satisfy our senses at some level, and whether we call them art or pleasure - we enjoy them, seek them, collect them, etc. "Everyone has a hobby" is a saying, but hobbies related to these first four senses fall into the category that is generally widely accepted as normal, harmless, interesting, something you can share with others and involve others in some way to participate or just “come on over and enjoy” (food, wine, art, etc), don’t have to explain the “why” part, and even if they don’t “get” some of the more unconventional or edgy aspects of your hobby, they will at least not think you are crazy, just perhaps a little eccentric.

So why is the sense of smell any different? Or why should it be any different? My SO owns exactly one fragrance and wears this one fragrance any time of the year, any occasion, any outfit, because he likes it and that's all he has desire for. Thankfully it's a good one (Dior Fahrenheit) so he's "forgiven" (LOL!), but I've had many conversations with him as to why I have hundreds of bottles, countless samples and decants, and still keep buying more. One day it hit me and I gave him an answer he just couldn't refute, and I think it finally clicked for him. He loves music, but gets bored of listening to the same thing over and over again. He loves food, but will not go to the same restaurant more than twice a year because "we just went there the other day" and he's craving something else. He loves and collects wine, but there's only one winery he "collects" all vintages from (Shafer's), and likes variety of other wines (hence why we belong to over a dozen different wine clubs with monthly shipments). And he loves great art, mostly modern(ish), but doesn't care for Renaissance era artwork. So I told him my perfume collection is just like that - I love the sense of smell, I enjoy fragrances because every one of them is different, every one of them evokes different feeling, emotion, memory, and every one of them stimulates me at a different level. I don’t want to be bored with just one fragrance every day because my moods and feelings are different, and I much prefer to switch things around, or use different fragrances to stimulate different moods or feelings. It’s just like… food… wine… art… I get bored with the same scent if I wear it often - much like he doesn’t like the repetitiveness of the same restaurant, same wine, or same music.

And that’s how I got my other half to *understand* that the sense of smell is important to me, and why. He may still not appreciate my collection the way I do, but at least at this point he has accepted that I will smell different almost every day, and now he (occasionally) comments on some aspects of the various perfumes and colognes I wear, whether a note he picked up on, or something triggered in his memory related to the scent, or sometimes he scares me and asks if what I’m wearing today is the same as I wore last Tuesday - because he remembered the scent somehow and wanted to see if he was right. I guess slowly but surely he’s learning that the sense of smell as far as triggering it via fragrance form is not as weird as he thought, and there are some aspects of it now that he can talk about and appreciate, without it being “weird.” He no longer says everything smells like CK One or Grey Flannel. ;-)

So to answer your question, OP, I wear fragrances because I enjoy the way they stimulate my fifth sense, and how they evoke memories or emotions, and how much pleasure they give me (and possibly others). I wear fragrances mostly for myself, but if someone around me appreciates the scent - it’s a bonus. I enjoy the sensations and emotions the other four senses give me, and the sense of smell is exactly the same, it just targets the fifth sense - and that is all. Living life to its fullest, enjoying ALL senses, not just 80% of what I was given.

I almost never wear cologne. I wear a fragrance every day. Because I want to.

cologne is light and not in your face 24/7 which, can be nice at times

you know i keep asking myself the same question every day
    why do i keep purchasing, chasing, sampling fragrances i thought maybe an obsession or a hobby i dunno i just love them and i wont stop having them

Part of my every day hygiene.

Basenotes Plus

I wear them because I like the way they smell on me. I don't wear much, and it's usually less than what I see many guys say they spray daily.

I have also always loved incense and scented candles as well. Lighting, mood, scent, color....all of that can make a subtle but important influence on my mood.

As someone who has done quite a few albums of ambient music, music for environments, almost "furniture music" as Satie would have termed it -- scent just goes along with my aesthetic and artistic temperament.

because it helps me "dress" like whoever i want to be in a day. it is a costume for the soul-and maybe a kind of a spell...

So many reasons. Why do we do anything really?

I guess the main reason. It helps keep me sane.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    This sums it up for me....to try and put it in my own words...it makes me feel.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

[QUOTE=döfä91;3032324]First and most important is that i enjoy the smells of my favourite scents myself. A signature scent to me is the same kind of feeling like a guitar for a guitarist (i think so), in the best case scenario it can be part of the wearer's person.

Secondly i connect the smells of my certain classic scents to the valuable memories from my past.[/QUOTE

This also...for me personally nothing quite gives me the feeling I get when I am making music. Certain scents also bring back vivid memories.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

To cover up my natural stench. Lol

I like smelling good, it's really that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    This sums it up for me....to try and put it in my own words...it makes me feel.
    Sums it up quite nicely.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles

The same reason I drive a nice car, wear nice clothes...I'm shallow.
    What coach Rob says determines what I spray

Wearing a fragrance is like wearing clothes - you need different scents for different occasions. No one wonders why we have more than one shirt and pair of pants, or one pair of shoes. It makes sense that we need multiples. Same with perfume. You need different fragrances for different occsations, moods, experiences.

Perfume is not a toothpaste - you finish a tube and you replenish with another one. After all, it is art and just like other forms of art it is collectible. Just ask an art lover why they collect paintings or spend millions on the originals: they'll stare at you in bewilderment and probably say "What do you mean why? Because it is art. Do you understand the concept of art?"

Speaking of art, fragrances are probably one of the cheapest and most accessible forms of art. Compare it to a painting - they start in the thousands and go into the millions. A really good fragrance can start into the tens and go into the hundreds (in rare cases into the thousands). It's a relatively cheap way to experience creativity, originality and be happy.
    http://ScentBound.com
    Exploring the Art of Smelling Good

"If a fragrance is too perfect or too pretty, it becomes boring. Fragrances – like people – have to have some kind of imperfection." - Frederic Malle

My previous answer was in jest. But this answer is not! I wear fragrances for all the reasons mentioned above. But I am surprised that nobody has mentioned wearing fragrance to armor myself. I work in a retail situation with all of the public...and some of the public has forgotten simple hygene. You know, certain boring things like bathing, washing clothes, brushing teeth, stuff like that. Add a layer of cigarette stench to unwashed clothes that is rain soaked and steeped in pee (we are talking homeless and hypster street trash) and you have an assault on the senses that lingers in the air and smells of an unclean monkey cage. I can't imagine being around some of these people if I could not pull the coller of my shirt over my nose and inhaling deeply once in a while.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I like smelling good and hate being bored. Pair the two together and you get the need to have more than a couple different fragrances. That said I don't need 70, I don't need 10, I just want to get as many as I can wine I can before they ban every worthwhile ingredient that makes a frag potent enough to smell past an hour. So I hoard! Lol

I wear cologne because I'm a bit obsessed with smells and I feel extra confident when I step out the house. I do it for me!