Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb How do you buy, store and organize samples of perfume?

I like to order samples from someplace like LuckyScent. (I have no affiliation) the cool thing about that site is you can pick a scent type like; oriental, and all those frags come up. The code for free shipping is MUA. This is an addictive hobby! If you start to accumulate lots of stuff you may like to organize them I have mine in plastic sandwich bags with recipe cards for stability. Alphabetized by house. I found these storage boxes at Hobby Lobby for about $30.

Other places for samples include; Aedes, Hampton Court, The Posh Peasant, Surrender to Chance, The Perfumed Court, or specific perfume sites like; Ormonde Jayne, Ajne, Strange Invisible Perfumes, to name a few.

What are your favorite methods?

image.jpg

Default Re: How do you buy, store and organize samples of perfume?

Most of my samples are free from Nordstrom, Diptyque, or Chanel. I have purchased some from Luckyscent and The Perfumed Court. I purged my sample collection last year. I no longer have enough to require organizing so I just throw them in a small Jo Malone box. I used to group my samples in small plastic bags sorted by house.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have no real method of storing them..
    Mostly in tin cans from previous purchases like Curve and Blue Jeans

I am ashamed to say that mine are holed away in a couple of shoe boxes.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

Blog Entries

I've gotten way behind in sorting mine. But at least it's a start. I have several sacks of samples scattered about. I really hate it when I reorder a duplicate sample because I can't find something I already have. DOH!

Blog Entries

I "kinda" know where most of my samples are. A few are in well-known spots, and a few are "somewhere", but most are "probably" in one of about 6 places. I have one large drawer entirely devoted to samples - way too many!

PS - I *LOVE* your hardwood floor and rug. Very nice!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

PS - I *LOVE* your hardwood floor and rug. Very nice!
    Thank-you! I admit I was addicted TJMax for a while there and found some good stuff. (Perfume & rugs) I finally gave it up. I have way too much stuff! (Hoarder alert)

samples (1 of 1).jpg
    I don't have many samples (yet) but I keep them in these ammo boxes. Keeps them upright, so they're less prone to leaking.

Close to not at all. Never deliberately bought samples, most or even all of them were received as freebies and not being neither too many nor too expensive nor specifically chosen by me, did not bother much to specifically organize and/or store them in a certain way. Might have to however if and as soon their amount will rise and/or fragrances I clearly like will be included.

Basenotes Plus

I try to corral sample vials and the occasional mini in hanging jewelry holders- the kind that are fabric backed with plastic envelope sections.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Thank-you! I admit I was addicted TJMax for a while there and found some good stuff. (Perfume & rugs) I finally gave it up. I have way too much stuff! (Hoarder alert)
    I hear you! I saw a $600 mountaineering parka in Marshall's for $149, and I was actually making calls to see who needed the darn thing. Finding "the best" on sale for peanuts just seems to activate the hoarding instinct!!!

summer means fireflys

If you could see my samples, you would think I qualified for an episode of that hoarder TV show. It is a shame how unorganized my samples are ... I have got to get them under control!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I organize my samples and decants in boxes - i needed to do this when it reached a situation that i almost broke some decants that were inside my wardrobe and when i couldn't find more samples and discovered that some were leaking. I don't organize them through houses or notes, i just try to fit everything on the space that i have.

I have found a very nice box with tiny partitioins to the samples, so i could hold them up and avoid leakages. Today i don't know if it makes sense to me anymore, because i did it in the past when i had almost 600 samples - i wore half of it in 2013 and gave away a lot of the other half.

Here is a picture of all my samples and decants when i had a lot of samples.

10200764168616459.jpg

I love my samples. I just wish I'd kept more of them over the years for reference--even when I didn't like the scent. Whether purchasing them from LuckyScent (my primary source) or swapping them, I use what's called a "lipstick display case." Whether a 2-row or 3-row model (see pic below), each cell will hold upright two or three standard sample vials. (Actually, you can fit a 5mL atomizer on a cell.) The cool part is that you can have dozens of samples visible and available all at once. While I'm not currently sampling dozens--the number is more like 10--I keep this acrylic case virtually on top my desk for any number of pleasant olfactory distractions during the day. (Yes, I work from home.)

Lipstick display case.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by awayalonealong View Post
    I love my samples. I just wish I'd kept more of them over the years for reference--even when I didn't like the scent. Whether purchasing them from LuckyScent (my primary source) or swapping them, I use what's called a "lipstick display case." Whether a 2-row or 3-row model (see pic below), each cell will hold upright two or three standard sample vials. (Actually, you can fit a 5mL atomizer on a cell.) The cool part is that you can have dozens of samples visible and available all at once. While I'm not currently sampling dozens--the number is more like 10--I keep this acrylic case virtually on top my desk for any number of pleasant olfactory distractions during the day. (Yes, I work from home.)

Lipstick display case.jpg
    I also use the acrylic cosmetic stands. YOu can get them with varying cell sizes and counts. I have one that accommodates about 50 2.5mL atomizers. And another which accommodates about 30 larger 5 and 10mL atomizers.

As for sources, there are many. Some provide samples in atomizers, but others deliver samples in vials. For the latter, i transfer scents from 1.0 and 0.7 mL vials, a la Lucky Scent, into cheap 2.5 mL plastic atomizers, which are also available online. Where I supply the atomizer, I also print an Avery label with the frag house and name on it.

Blog Entries

Default How do you buy, store and organize samples of perfume?

Wow, what a difference in storage techniques! Some of you are able to pare it down to the bare minimum and others can keep track of a huge amount of vials in boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't organized my whole collection, but I tend to get a lot of my samples in batches that are specific either to a house or a note I'm exploring. They often arrive in little organza bags and so I often keep them in those bags. I've abandoned, for the most part, the vial samples as I find vial sampling to be deceptive, so my need for storage for those will be diminishing as I go through the ones I have now and only order larger spray samples in the future.

Nice and organized Kumquat I keep mines labeled in a tin can.

I like the lipstick holder solution!
    Mine are currently squatting in a couple of carrier bags.

I have way too many of them to be as anal as some of these people. Seems faintly ridiculous. I drop or gently toss them into a variety of boxes. Looking for them isn't always fast but I've found it's a hell of a lot more fun because I'm always finding all kinds of amazing things I forgot I had. Nothing like the great surprise !
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd January 2014 at 03:20 PM.

I hear you! I saw a $600 mountaineering parka in Marshall's for $149, and I was actually making calls to see who needed the darn thing. Finding "the best" on sale for peanuts just seems to activate the hoarding instinct!!!
    I keep my samples in a nice cardboard box, like the ones from Chanel. A box nevertheless.

LOL! I also hunt the discounters and fine nice items of clothing and accessories. I even find nice housewares. I even bought an item of jewellery for about 60% off retail.

The best thing about saving is a lot of the savings are channeled in to more purchases, much of which is fragrance.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbeach View Post
    samples (1 of 1).jpg
    i don't have many samples (yet) but i keep them in these ammo boxes. Keeps them upright, so they're less prone to leaking.
    winner!

Yes - very neat!

Very tidy indeed and presents very nicely.
    (2526)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm gonna go looking for an ammo box for my perfume "cartridges". I like that idea!

I've been using bulk storage in clear crystal cube type boxes that are about 4" square in size. Got these at Hobby Lobby. Lately I have been trying to give my samples away though so they don't clutter the place up.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBeach View Post
    samples (1 of 1).jpg
    I don't have many samples (yet) but I keep them in these ammo boxes. Keeps them upright, so they're less prone to leaking.
    This is what I do too. I have several of these containers that hold 100 each, mine are blue. It makes finding the one you want so much easier and there isn't any leaking.

When I buy a bottle of something, I decant 5ml into an atomizer and label it. I put the remaining bottle in my basement (so it stays dark and cool). The atomizers of my full bottle fragrances then sit right along side of my samples in my storage drawers. I organize them by house - each section or drawer is dedicated to a house. I am now up to 7 storage drawers (and have vowed not to acquire any more!). Here is a photo of how it looks (taken about 18 months ago):

Blog Entries

WOW! Dougczar! That is beautiful! What kind of boxes are those? They look kind of like jewelry boxes. What do you do with samples of stuff you are currently trying or don't like? Do you ever save them for future reference?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    I am ashamed to say that mine are holed away in a couple of shoe boxes.
    Ha - finally someone else who's environmental friendly as I

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Here is a photo of how it looks (taken about 18 months ago):

Wish I had your patience dougczar - excellent!!!

WOW! Dougczar! That is beautiful! What kind of boxes are those? They look kind of like jewelry boxes. What do you do with samples of stuff you are currently trying or don't like? Do you ever save them for future reference?
    Thank you! Those are just plain old jewelry boxes (3 drawers that slide out with dividers and a top lid that lifts up). I bought 3 a long time ago thinking it would be more than enough. I now am up to 7 - and vowed not to buy any more! (the original 3 are shown) Needless to say, they now take up a large portion of my bathroom closet! But I am able to see / find everything in my collection quickly and easily. However, each time I bought another one, I rearranged the collection, so I had to re-learn where everything was. I had to put in a bookshelf in my closet to hold the other 4 drawers. So, it was a bit of a pain in the butt looking back, but hopefully I won't outgrow these!

For now, the samples I have and don't like are in the drawers too - but if I do begin to outgrow the drawers, I will have to get rid of the ones I don't like. The samples I do like become full-bottle purchases. The ones that are just ok, I slowly use up and get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Wish I had your patience dougczar - excellent!!!
    Thanks! It really doesn't take too much time - and it makes it easy having everything at my fingertips - samples and things I have full bottles of.

Great Dougczar! Just great! Thank's for sharing.

They've taken over my desk! I'm now buying by house or genre and organizing in a lovely black tea box I found, or temporarily in plastic bubble bags or satchels. In one I'm collecting chypres, in another incense, in another roses. My Serge Lutens samples are lined up awaiting the rest. Not sure what I'll ultimately hold onto. I'm giving away or swapping those that make me sneeze or that I know I won't return to, which still leaves a lot.

I've gotten most of my samples from Lucky Scent, Surrender to Change, The Perfumed Court, The Decant Shop or the house itself. Thanks for listing those two others.

Desktop.jpg

I've gotten way behind in sorting mine. But at least it's a start. I have several sacks of samples scattered about. I really hate it when I reorder a duplicate sample because I can't find something I already have. DOH!
    I've done the same and on the old forum had begun to list my samples, but it seems unwieldy on this one. Can't group by house and such. Been thinking of making a spreadsheet.

Dougczar, great storage!
    Last edited by ScentFan; 4th January 2014 at 05:45 AM.

My samples are disposable.

I'll get it, transfer to atomizer, use it then decide if it's FBW.
    I've kept a few for reference though.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Palm Beach ​, you seem to have reached the inundation stage. I can relate!

samples (1 of 1).jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    This is what I do too. I have several of these containers that hold 100 each, mine are blue. It makes finding the one you want so much easier and there isn't any leaking.

Looking for storage for my current and future samples, which bore should I be looking at. Not sure which bore fits to which size atomizer. Thanks for any help you can give me

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    I also use the acrylic cosmetic stands. YOu can get them with varying cell sizes and counts. I have one that accommodates about 50 2.5mL atomizers. And another which accommodates about 30 larger 5 and 10mL atomizers.

As for sources, there are many. Some provide samples in atomizers, but others deliver samples in vials. For the latter, i transfer scents from 1.0 and 0.7 mL vials, a la Lucky Scent, into cheap 2.5 mL plastic atomizers, which are also available online. Where I supply the atomizer, I also print an Avery label with the frag house and name on it.
    Do you have recommendations on which one(s) to get from say Amazon? Thanks!

I keep mine in a dark closet.

Palm Beach, how did you get those pictures of my samples in those boxes?

I usually don't keep samples too long. If I like the fragrance enough to buy a bottle the sample gets used quickly otherwise I give them to others. I do have a little box I keep some samples in.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

---
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 12th May 2014 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    I usually don't keep samples too long. If I like the fragrance enough to buy a bottle the sample gets used quickly otherwise I give them to others. I do have a little box I keep some samples in.
    me,too!

Blog Entries

Originally, I thought we could also give examples of good places to source samples in this thread. I just ordered from the 'Posh Peasant' again. I am reminded what an easy experience it was. They do a good job, as I recall. Prices seem ok and it was so easy to pay with Pay Pal. Decent selection, although a few I wanted were sold out.

The Decant Shop also does a good job.

I like your original method Kumquat. Storing by house could be good. However, I am sometimes sampling by genre,,so that always work for me.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

+1 for decantshop, I use that site also for 5 ml backups of fragrances I don't want to buy. Must say also Perfumeshoppe's 5-samples kit for $20 shipped anywhere is a pretty good deal - especially for trying expensive frags.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Etro - Patchouly
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Hermès - Bel Ami (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

I've got the small samples in my lucky dip basket, which used to take up the bottom shelf of my perfume cupboard but now, since there is no room for it in the cupboard, it's in the bottom part of the dresser on the landing which has everything from power tools to CDs in it. I do need to find some way of making them easy to find individual samples though, so a filing system cannot be far away.

Larger samples, decants and minis are in a drawer at the bottom of my perfume cupboard, although that is now getting rather small.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Okay. That's awesome! I just found another use for my .40 S&W trays... Why didn't I think of that?

samples (1 of 1).jpg
    A single simple smile can change the world…

Fragrances owned, but not in the basenotes database:

Blue Escape - Avon
    Cuba Silver Blue - Parfums Des Champs
    In Red pour homme - Estelle Ewen
    Untouchable - Avon
    Version of - Jordache/Jean Philippe (Dollar Tree product. Multiple fragrances; most are not great copy attempts.)

I "kinda" know where most of my samples are. A few are in well-known spots, and a few are "somewhere", but most are "probably" in one of about 6 places. !
    Ok, I'm so glad that someone already said it, so I can feel a little less ashamed of myself! The ones coming from houses which I own at least one full bottle of, sit quietly near the FB. All the others are... well... they're somewhere home!
    Generally I swap my decants with friends, but sometimes I buy them online. Also, given the amount of money I spend on perfume, I receive many for free.

I changed a bit my view of samples, now I almost never keep them, and I made good use of a Tauer's tin can to throw in the ones to test, although it's already about to explode.

Don't need them to be too much organised obviously. I just separate the "whole brands' lines" from the rest of the samples.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Etro - Patchouly
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Hermès - Bel Ami (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Basenotes Plus

I am getting better about letting go of samples. Whenever i do a trade with someone, I usually add in a few samples from my bag full of them. Of course, I usually get some back from the other person - so the bag is diminishing slowly....
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....