Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: L'Eau d'Issey Flanker Thread

I don't even remember this stuff at all in the 90's or early 00's. Never heard of it until a year or two ago. I guess I just looked past it and never noticed it.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by p1trick View Post
    no love for the sport flanker ?
    I like the Sport and the Sport Mint. The latter smells like the cleanest possible cigarette to my nose.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Is one of the billion flankers an intense version or a parfum?
    No not really. You are better of catching a vintage bottle on eBay or something. The bottle should have lettering in 3 rows bunched together (first release). Later reformulations that are still strong include the boxes with a light blue band.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    As Slayerized said above the Fraiche version comes the closest but it is different due to to tweaks. It doesn't have the same feel and use of contrast as the original and is quite a bit simpler. Performance is great though.

Overall it smells more like a cousin to the original, you can see the resemblance from certain angles but there is also something else in the mix when looked at head on.

They've never made a true Intense (ie original but stronger) as there has always been some kind of tweaking going on. Given the popularity of the scent with the proto-dudebros of the 90s I'd doubt that any of what remains and finds its way to auction sites would've been stored correctly and thats after deciphering the very subtle visual clues as to the vintage. Would like to smell it again however just to see how it fares in my nostrils now compared to then.
    +1
    That EdT Fraiche is a work of art - almost like the hazy fog of the original was swapped with a sparkling coldness without being fizzy.
    I managed to snag a couple of vintage versions and yes, they are bombs compared to my singed nostrils. I remember my first encounter was in Calc 2 back in my college days. Dude walked in and the scent filled the room. Ofcourse I wanted to know what it was and promptly bought a bottle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    Dude walked in and the scent filled the room.
    Yep. But the way it did was something else as it wasn't ever thick, cloying or too much plus it didn't cause anosmia at all, just radiated olfactive goodness on all around you like you were some beatific saint of scent uplifting the peons with your perfumed presence. There was so much going on in this with its layers, subtleties, transitions and nuances so it represented a joyful adventure for my nascent nostrils with its novelty as I'd never encountered such complexity before as I'd been all about Chanel/CK previously.

In retrospect it was very much like an introduction to niche without even knowing what niche was as it was evident this was something different as the quality was on another level. As was the price as it was eyewateringly expensive back when it first dropped in the UK.

Definitely one of the first fragrances that I ever inhaled and thought "Wow, this is something special" as opposed to "This smells nice" and in many respects was the Aventus of its day as I've said because in a few years it went from no one smelling like it and everyone wanting to know what it was to becoming almost ubiquitous on the scene.

Is one of the billion flankers an intense version or a parfum?
    Yep. But the way it did was something else as it wasn't ever thick, cloying or too much plus it didn't cause anosmia at all, just radiated olfactive goodness on all around you like you were some beatific saint of scent uplifting the peons with your perfumed presence. There was so much going on in this with its layers, subtleties, transitions and nuances so it represented a joyful adventure for my nascent nostrils with its novelty as I'd never encountered such complexity before as I'd been all about Chanel/CK previously.

In retrospect it was very much like an introduction to niche without even knowing what niche was as it was evident this was something different as the quality was on another level. As was the price as it was eyewateringly expensive back when it first dropped in the UK.

Definitely one of the first fragrances that I ever inhaled and thought "Wow, this is something special" as opposed to "This smells nice" and in many respects was the Aventus of its day as I've said because in a few years it went from no one smelling like it and everyone wanting to know what it was to becoming almost ubiquitous on the scene.
    Couldn't have summed it up better! It certainly elevated its wearer to a lordship status Beatific saint is apt!
    I definitely got the "this is something special" effect as well.

Interestingly, another fragrance that did that for me is Polo Blue. Still one of my faves...but the effect is not quite the same.

I have smelled:

1. L'Eau d'Issey
    3. L'Eau Bleue d'Issey
    18. L'Eau d'Issey Nuit
    27. L'Eau Majeure d'Issey

I own both 1. L'Eau d'Issey and 3. L'Eau Bleue d'Issey. I really like both of these quite a bit, but I have to admit that I like Bleue the most. The performance is quite good, and the scent profile is very enjoyable IMO. It's unlike anything else in my collection and i really enjoy the unique way it smells. This is an underrated fragrance IMO.

I had a tester of 18. L'Eau d'Issey Nuit and it is my favorite, as far as the smell/scent profile is concerned. My only quibble is that it doesn't perform as well as the first two.

I had my nose on 27. L'Eau Majeure d'Issey at Ulta one day, and I found it to be enjoyable, but I do not feel I can provide any type of summary, without having tried it more.

I think I saw the Blue at TJ Maxx today. But there are so many damn flankers, it could have been a different one. Was $25, I may go back and grab it.

I think I saw the Blue at TJ Maxx today. But there are so many damn flankers, it could have been a different one. Was $25, I may go back and grab it.
    Right?! That is why I started this thread and others like it. I remember when there were maybe 3 flankers tops, and that was a lot.
    I guess in 10 years there will be 50 flankers of L'Eau D'Issey considering Miyake releases up to 4 in the same year sometimes!!!!

If it is blue, then there are 2 version: blue and blue fresh. But then there is also Nuit Blue Astral so...
    If you get it, let us know what you think.

I went back and grabbed it. It was the Blue D'Issey Fraiche. I haven't tried it yet, though. Will report back.

It's ok, the Blue D'Issey Fraiche. Very basic blue scent. Doesn't last long at all.
    Pointless flanker, as I assume many of them are.

Freed from BN Institution

The flanker that was most memorable to me was the 2009 Summer Edition. It best resembled the original with a softer and more acquatic feel.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I think I'm done with Issey Miyake. I've only tried three of their scents but they're all boring and forgettable with near zero longevity.

I think I'm done with Issey Miyake. I've only tried three of their scents but they're all boring and forgettable with near zero longevity.
    I like the bleue fraiche - it is light but its a great summer scent. You might be experiencing some anosmia with it.

Cool Re: L'Eau d'Issey Flanker Thread

Yeah. You could be right, sir, but I don't think so. I sprayed it last night on my wrist, about three pumps. Didn't think much of it. I showered and later, before bed, I sprayed my wrist again. Still not jumping out at me.
    It hard for me to describe, but it's not a bad scent. The scent, however, does not stand out. Nor does it last. It's not bad but it's not doing anything. I don't really have any opinion on it, but since I have no opinion, it's ultimately a bad scent to me.
    And the other two that I tried were the same way.

Last thing I'd associate with L'Eau d'Issey frangrances would be "near zero longevity" and I own originals and a few flankers. If oversprayed one can easily suffocate a roomful of people, even with the summer ones that don't have alcohol and are supposed to be "fresher".

By the way, are Bleue and Majeure really considered flankers?

Cool Re: L'Eau d'Issey Flanker Thread

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    Last thing I'd associate with L'Eau d'Issey frangrances would be "near zero longevity" and I own originals and a few flankers. If oversprayed one can easily suffocate a roomful of people, even with the summer ones that don't have alcohol and are supposed to be "fresher".

By the way, are Bleue and Majeure really considered flankers?
    Is that because they're originals? I was hoping for some longevity but nothing. If it's there, it's just too weak. And bland.

Is that because they're originals? I was hoping for some longevity but nothing. If it's there, it's just too weak. And bland.
    Possibly, I have some older batches. But I also picked up Intense, Oceanic Expeditions and Yuzu in the last 3 years and they were anything but weak.

Which reminds me of an encounter I had with a lady in the grocery store a few months ago, she followed me and asked what was I wearing and I told her "ummm, it's Intense". To which she exclaimed in exasperation "damn right it's intense, but what's the name of it!!"

LOL, that's funny. Hopefully the Intense version performs. I've not tried the ones you mentioned, so perhaps it's just the ones I've worn.

Freed from BN Institution

Possibly, I have some older batches. But I also picked up Intense, Oceanic Expeditions and Yuzu in the last 3 years and they were anything but weak.

Which reminds me of an encounter I had with a lady in the grocery store a few months ago, she followed me and asked what was I wearing and I told her "ummm, it's Intense". To which she exclaimed in exasperation "damn right it's intense, but what's the name of it!!"
    I had excellent silage and longevity with the original. My bottle was from 2010.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Banned

Is Intense any good? How does it compare to the original in terms of feel? Never tried it as the notes seemed totally different.

Is Intense any good? How does it compare to the original in terms of feel? Never tried it as the notes seemed totally different.
    IMO Intense is very good and is one of the best among flankers (I don't really count Bleue as a flanker). Comparing it to the original is like comparing AdG Profumo to original AdG - the DNA is undeniably there, but the overall impact is different. It is heavy on incense, smokier, darker and moodier and is a much more mature and versatile scent IMO. I think it confused a few people when it was first released because they expected intense to mean stronger (a lot of comments I read at the time of release were along the lines of "who the hell thought making an even stronger L'eau d'Issey would be a good idea??"), but in reality Intense took the fragrance into a whole new direction and ultimately was the forebearer of the Noir and Nuit flankers.

Banned

Nice one, thanks

IMO Intense is very good and is one of the best among flankers (I don't really count Bleue as a flanker). Comparing it to the original is like comparing AdG Profumo to original AdG - the DNA is undeniably there, but the overall impact is different. It is heavy on incense, smokier, darker and moodier and is a much more mature and versatile scent IMO. I think it confused a few people when it was first released because they expected intense to mean stronger (a lot of comments I read at the time of release were along the lines of "who the hell thought making an even stronger L'eau d'Issey would be a good idea??"), but in reality Intense took the fragrance into a whole new direction and ultimately was the forebearer of the Noir and Nuit flankers.
    I agree with this concerning the intense...took the fragrance in a completely new direction for sure and definitely the progenitors for all the darker scents that followed.

An excerpt from my review back in 2007:
    It starts out very dark and woody-herbaceous with a icy blue tingle...it does to your nose what chewing a cigar and toothpaste at the same time would do to your mouth.

Still a very relevant jus in the current landscape of fragrances.

Yeah. You could be right, sir, but I don't think so. I sprayed it last night on my wrist, about three pumps. Didn't think much of it. I showered and later, before bed, I sprayed my wrist again. Still not jumping out at me.
    It hard for me to describe, but it's not a bad scent. The scent, however, does not stand out. Nor does it last. It's not bad but it's not doing anything. I don't really have any opinion on it, but since I have no opinion, it's ultimately a bad scent to me.
    And the other two that I tried were the same way.
    I know what is happening: your nose is 'learning' the fragrance. Reminds me of the first time I tried Lancome Hypnose. I smelled barely anything. Some fragrance jump out immediately, some take a while. It's like the necessary paths to mapping this fragrance do not exist yet. It's the same reason why the same fragrance smells different to everyone smelling it. If the conditions were spot on when you tried it, it would jump out at you.

I suggest wearing it a couple of times then abandon it for months. Then go back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    I know what is happening: your nose is 'learning' the fragrance. Reminds me of the first time I tried Lancome Hypnose. I smelled barely anything. Some fragrance jump out immediately, some take a while. It's like the necessary paths to mapping this fragrance do not exist yet. It's the same reason why the same fragrance smells different to everyone smelling it. If the conditions were spot on when you tried it, it would jump out at you.

I suggest wearing it a couple of times then abandon it for months. Then go back to it.
    Sometimes, the blue or aquatic type colognes just don't work for me. The line of Polo Blue is the same way, almost. I can pick it up a little bit but it just doesn't seem to last on me. I feel like I'm wearing nothing. The Nautica scents, on the other hand, stay with me a while.