Code of Conduct

Default Gucci Pour Homme suggestion

Hey folks! My first post since basenotes lost my profile in its 'avatar' switch. Now, GPH 2 is one of my favourites and i am stocked with two large bottles of it. Yesterday when i was at the mall i was surprised to see GPH on sale! I have heard great things about Gucci Pour Homme but never could try it. The salesperson told me that they don't have a tester and i had to blind it buy if i wanted to. It is selling for $115 for the 3.4oz (100ml) bottle and i was told there are only three bottles left. Since i had planned my next buy to be DHI, i didn't know if i would do well in spending that much for GPH.

My question for you guys is, is $115 (100ml) a fair price for GPH? Is it a safe blind buy? For the record, i love spicy frags, but i have read somewhere that GPH is overrated and actually smells like Old spice. Please help me decide.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Gucci Pour Homme suggestion

Yes! Buy all.

It's not a safe blind buy. It's very woody, incensey, and smokey. I don't think it smells like Old spice at all. That said, it's a very polarizing scent. But it's highly sought after so even if you don't like it, others will be more than happy to take it off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    It's not a safe blind buy. It's very woody, incensey, and smokey. I don't think it smells like Old spice at all. That said, it's a very polarizing scent. But it's highly sought after so even if you don't like it, others will be more than happy to take it off your hands.
    This. If you want to get a general idea of what it smells like, get your nose on CdG 2 Man. They're not the same, but they're close enough for you to make a decision, IMO. And for what it's worth, GPH is a great fragrance.

I'm wearing it today. It smells nothing like Old Spice and yes, I think, it's a bit overrated. It's all about woods (pencil shavings) and incense with a little hint of vanilla and amber in the drydown. However, 115$ for 100 ml is a fair price, some would even consider it a great deal. I would order a sample first, smell and then come back (or not) to get a full bottle.

Whoa! All right, does it smell like Spicebomb at least? I am looking for a reference point here.

I would not classify GPH1 as a spicy scent at all. Woody and smoky - yes but not spicy.

Quote Originally Posted by DarshVader View Post
    Whoa! All right, does it smell like Spicebomb at least? I am looking for a reference point here.
    Not at all. As previously mentioned, it shares similarities with CdG 2Man. It also has something in common with Tommy Bahama original. To me, it's not very spicy at all, more of a dry wood and incense.

$115 is a fair price for a 100ml bottle (especially being that it's discontinued). Woods and incense. Great fragrance.

With all the notes listed in fragrantica, i figured it would be on the spicy side. I haven't tried CdG 2Man or Tommy Bahama. Guess I'll buy it, given the weight that's being thrown behind it. Thanks, folks. I sure hope the bottles aren't sold out by now!

With all the notes listed in fragrantica, i figured it would be on the spicy side. I haven't tried CdG 2Man or Tommy Bahama. Guess I'll buy it, given the weight that's being thrown behind it. Thanks, folks. I sure hope the bottles aren't sold out by now!
    If you don't like it, you should have no problem selling it! Big demand for GHP.

Hey folks!
    Hi!

My question for you guys is, is $115 (100ml) a fair price for GPH?
    Yes. I think so.

Is it a safe blind buy?
    No, not based on scent (but most love it, including myself), but it's safe because if you don't like it, you will certainly find buyers for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancio82 View Post
    I'm wearing it today. It smells nothing like Old Spice and yes, I think, it's a bit overrated. It's all about woods (pencil shavings) and incense with a little hint of vanilla and amber in the drydown. However, 115$ for 100 ml is a fair price, some would even consider it a great deal. I would order a sample first, smell and then come back (or not) to get a full bottle.
    Pencil Shavings! That is exactly what I get from GPH. I love GPHII and there was so much hype about GPHI that I got a sample and I was unimpressed. I guess the pencil shaving note is the cedar. Definitely not a blind buy.

$115 is definitely a fair price IMO for this scent.

(2497)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

When I said yes, do it, I had in mind what others have said. If you hate it, you should have no problem selling it for what you paid for it here, or trading it for something that costs at least that. I do not find it overrated, but even if it is, it is held in such regard that the price should go up a few bucks a year, or at least the fair price should catch up to what some folks are asking for on ebay. So, you are pretty safe for one, and even buying all. If you hate it and want to dump it, don't free shy about sending me a PM .

I agree with the similarities to Come des Garcons and Tommy Bahama. Though I find TB a bit more approachable and I prefer it.
    It's a good decision to buy it. It has a niche quality about it and if you give it time it might grow on you. It is also a great reference point for a fragrance centered on cedarwood.
    Together with RG PH and M7 it is part of the Tom Ford designer trilogy.)
    Last edited by Balthazar; 2nd January 2014 at 06:38 PM.

If you can get a sniff of Pierre Balmains Carbone, this will give you an idea of what GPH smells like.

(0005)

Dark. Some smoke, amber sweetness. Very seasonal IMO. A great scent, classy.
    You can get 2ml samples on ebay for like $5.
    Definitely worth a try.
    I pieced together around 3.5 ounces of this stuff for about $90.
    Not only in one bottle however.

The antithesis of Gucci Pour Homme II.
    Last edited by MegaMav; 2nd January 2014 at 08:55 PM.

It's a very special one... love it.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's 200 on Ebay now..
    if I were you I would get 2 bottles if I had the extra dough..

Odin 01 is similar but is weaker

Basenotes Plus

Yes, asking for 200, not clear if they are selling for that.

Get it. 1 bottle is enough. It's not safe to blind buy btw.
    I only wear this at special occasion.

Update. First of all i apologize for not posting what my decision finally was. I went ahead and bought it! Bought two bottles in all actually one 1.7oz and another 3.3oz. Have started to use the 1.7oz bottle and the frag has started to grow on me. Not a crowd pleaser by any measure, but i love it and it makes me feel confident in a strange way! That's good enough for me. Thanks for the suggestions folks.