Code of Conduct

Default In your opinion, is Versace Dreamer a scent a new 20 year old can wear today?

Hey guys

About to do a blind buy on this scent after hearing so many great things about it.
    The only thing holding me back is that it was created in 1996. I was wondering if the scent will smell dated now that its been well over a decade since its release.
    Will it smell good to other college students?

Thanks

Default Re: In your opinion, is Versace Dreamer a scent a new 20 year old can wear today?

Dreamer is a great scent but it's not for everybody. It's a bit feminine, for a guy. And you'll also have to reconcile how overpowering it can be during the first hour and how faint it can be during the rest of the drydown.

I rarely say this but Dreamer doesn't feel like a scent that came out in 1996, or any particular era. It feels timeless, existing beside any year. But it would've had to have been made in the 90's because I don't see anyone releasing a fragrance like this today.

It's perfectly wearable though. It's not dated in the sense that Polo or Aramis are.

Default Re: In your opinion, is Versace Dreamer a scent a new 20 year old can wear today?

I'm one of the biggest fans of blind-buying here (and due to my location and aversion to buying samples, I'm kinda forced to be).

Dreamer, however, is one of my biggest mistakes. It is pretty terrible.

The drydown is tolerable (and other people seem to like it) but it isn't anything special, and the opening is foul.

If you are going to blind buy it and wear it to class, apply it at least 30 mins before you are near another person, or they mightn't be near you for long.

EDIT - agree with Serene in that I don't think it's dated or smells that way.

I'm sure a 20 year old could wear this but I agree with my colleague above me in his assessment of this fragrance.

(2508)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Dreamer is amazing. I suppose it might be a bit harsh in the beginning for some people, but i personally love it! Not dated at all.

Is this whats considered old these days? 1996 not 1936.

If you like it, wear it. It's the credo of self-expression.

Many young people in their 20s feel compelled to fit in and be like others. In actuality, do you want to smell like thousands of other young men?

Places like Sephora happily pronounce their best sellers. Again, who wants to be like others?

The Dreamer is a wonderful scent with a clear aroma with just a touch of tobacco. Be happy and wear it!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Agree with Tim as well, not one of my favorites, and not one I wear very often. To be intellectually honest though, I have to admit that I've received about as many unsolicited compliments from females while wearing Dreamer as anything else. That's the only reason I haven't actually traded it away, despite being personally underwhelmed by it. YMMV.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If you like Iris & tobacco then of course..
    Great scent-FB Worthy

Go for it, it's a safe fragrance to wear and affordable. For me I've only gotten positive feedback from it. I started wearing this in my early 20's and the ladies loved it. It smells like fabric softener or cigarettes that's been sitting in a watery ashtray with a hint of floral. I get 6 hours of good projection and it lasts pretty much all day on skin for me.
    Thank you, deadidol

If you like it, go for it. I have The Dreamer and I like it. I'm in my 20's.
    (Formerly Jouho)

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    If you like it, go for it.
    Not sure how that helps a person considering a blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Not sure how that helps a person considering a blind buy.
    Lol!

It's not dated, but it's also not very good. The harsh tobacco opening is off putting.

Dependent

I love this scent. From what I remember its pretty good, a soft iris

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    If you like Iris & tobacco then of course..
    Great scent-FB Worthy
    +1

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

It's lovely, only the first 15-20 minutes have any off putting notes (IMO anyway) and how many people rush right out the door and into the masses within 15 mins of putting on a scent? The drydown is it's name, it does verge on "dreamy" I love this scent more and more the longer I have it and I don't say that about many scents - blind buy with no fear.

Definitely man! I'm 17 and I wear this occasionally. Because it is so unique, I don't think you can really put an age limit on this thing. However, I is a really strong scent and can be overpowering. So I would use only once and a while. Definitely not a signature fragrance.

The top of this fragrance which last around twenty minutes is really bright and off putting to many, but the dry down is really sweetens out. Overall a very nice romantic fragrance, though definitely not the most versatile. Would definitely recommend!

Unlike most people, I don't find the opening that bad. However, unlike most people, I don't find the drydown all that spectacular.

To me, it is a pretty decent fragrance all the way through. It is a little feminine, but I think it would be a pretty good blind buy overall for a 20 year old. It's not spectacular, but solid for the price. Nothing I felt bottle worthy for myself, but if I had bought a bottle I wouldn't be kicking myself.

Dougczar's Blind-Buy-Safety-O'Meter Rating: 7 / 10

I blindly bought the Dreamer when it was on sale in a local store. That was a mistake. I don't mind the opening, for me it smells just like black warm tea, nothing offensive or strong. Then it dries down to sweet tobacco smell that's pleasant enough for a while but after about 2 hours it starts irritating me a lot. To the point when I want to run to the shower and wash it off. Never had any cologne annoying me so much (except, maybe, for the original Issey Miyaki, can't stand that stuff).

No!!!
    I think nobody should wear Versace Dreamer: don't like it...!

Dreamer is a great scent, not dated at all. I love it and im 26yr old.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Whether some do or do not like Dreamer, it is a very nice frag. It does not smell close to any other readily available frag and, therefore, has a "uniqueness" factor. Nothing about it would make it too mature for a 20 year old, even today.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

So I bought the scent and wore it out on a date night, and am completely loving it.

It smells like nothing I've smelled before, mind you I'm still new to this game, and my date loved the smell herself. She mentioned how good I smelled 2-3 times that night, and said she was able to smell the fragrance at close proximity when we were saying goodbye, which was after 6 hours of lots of activities.

Made some good and bad memories in the same night, won't go into details lol, but am even considering making this my signature.
    The thing is I literally just bought my Mont Blanc Legend for a signature just days ago because of how it is supposed to smell like a more mature Fierce. The only problem is I feel like I'm starting to find the Legend to be rather ordinary, and am really liking the complexity behind the Dreamer. Its funny because I told myself that I would stick to just one fragrance hahah.

sure!

If you like it....Sure!

Glad you pulled the trigger and wound up enjoying it - I don't wear The Dreamer often, but when I do I'm surprised by how much I enjoy the dry down. I get excellent longevity. To your original question, regarding age-appropriateness, this scent strikes me as being more on the youthful side, easily wearable by 20-somethings.

Definitely yes- highly appropriate for this age group in my opinion.

Man, I wouldn't do it if I was 20.....it's definitely a polarizing love/hate scent and on any given day I'm on either side of the fence. Nice tobacco drydown, but a strong and harsh "old lady" floral element to it IMO.

Dreamer to me is a scent to have in your collection as a reference point as it gets mentioned on a regular basis.
    I don't mind it and it does get compliments. Thinking way back to 20, no man. I would not wear it at that age. You can if you want but I would be looking for something more fun, light, friendly, youthful, clean, etc. What that is I don't know but I don't think its Dreamer.
    Beauty is in the nose of the beholder.

If you wear lots of different scents, i can think of plenty of weirder niche scents than Dreamer to wear, which have heaps more praise in the reviews. In that respect, it could well be considered as a good buy for something very different. However, I know my nephews weren't enthused when they smelled Dreamer.

If you do blind buy, make sure you get it cheap. I've seen 100ml bottles at times going for just under $40. It's a love it or hate it scent, so don't expend much on a blind buy. I like it a lot for that amazing opening that does wonderous things to my nostrils and sinuses. That same opening gives others a headache (or so many claim). I also like the sharp smell of strong glue - there may be a correlation.
    Regards,
    Renato

Dude i am 25 and i am still wearing the dreamer ..