Code of Conduct
    queen of the universe

Cool Pianos and Perfumes

...or...the Scented Steinway.

As my vast fan base knows, my acquisition of a Steinway model L, the nearly six-foot grand in iconic satin ebony, is my personal dream come true. Months later, the love remains fresh, and connected to scent. Here's the story: One August morning I was running late, my son was running late, and I decided to drive him to his destination. I was donning my newly acquired and first FB of Chanel, the N 22 extrait, when my phone, sitting on the kitchen counter, rang. Carelessly I tried to grab it while holding the Chanel, spilling the Chanel all over the counter, about a fourth of its contents! I rub my wrists all over the counter so as not to lose any of this juice. Fast forward, having dropped off my son, I decide to drive down Euclid Av in East Cleveland to see what's doing at Bill Kap Piano. More fast forward, I play, we shmooze, and I'm at the bankhalf an hour later. An impulse purchase 30 years in the making, according to my tuner, and he's right. Somehow I think the spilt Chanel set this in motion.

P1030950.jpg
    Since then, I've made it a point to drop in on Mr Kap about every month or month and a half. This time I sat down to some of the many pianos in the showroom floor. Kap Piano, on a stretch of Euclid Av, Cleveland's main drag, that has seen better days, is a piano museum. His doors are unlocked and one can just wander in an play. This most recent visit, this week, had me thinking about sound and scent. No two pianos are alike, not even when they share a make and model. I came in and sat down at the 9 foot Steinway Model D that greets you on entering. It's big and iconic—it's Chanel N 5, recognizable and setting the standard. Another Steinway, the more diminutive Model M, beckons. She's vintage in a walnut case with real ivory keys. The serial number, six digits starting 202, places her in the 1920s. Despite needing a serious overhaul, the sheer sweetness of this one, and it's feathery touch says Mitsouko to me. Yes, a feminine piano. I play some more; a Knabe, the piano of the Met, is another Guerlain, the sensitive Liu. The well-mannered Kawai next to it, is clear and aquatic, tho I don't know aquatics well enough to name one; it is a masculine for sure, a mannerly masculine.

My piano, the Model L, is big in appearance and sound. The tail of the L is squared off rather than rounded, which makes for more soundboard area, particularly around the bass register, and the low notes on this baby don't quit. Sexy Best, or simply the Beast as I've named him, is a masculine piano. It could be Yatagan, or perhaps a vintage unisex, like my newest find, vintage Weil Noir, a leather that presages Germain Cellier. I'm not surprised I picked a masculine to play; an instrument can be an extension of oneself, or it can be one's other half. The Beast is my musical other half. It took fragrance for me to figure that out.

P1040067.jpg
    Last edited by jujy54; 3rd January 2014 at 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling—what else!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Default Re: Pianos and Perfumes

That's a great anecdote Jujy. I enjoyed reading it and how you told it with such conviction and passion.
    (2551)
    Last edited by hednic; 3rd January 2014 at 03:28 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for sharing this story - loved reading it and trying to picture myself watching this like a movie, unfolding one scene at a time.

Enjoy the Beast - it is a very nice piano indeed!

Basenotes Plus

A lovely tale, jujy54 - thanks for posting!

Jujy, love reading your story. What a special thing to have made a connection with.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Great story Jujy!

queen of the universe

Thank you for kind words, everyone. Where else but basenotes? I love that I'm "gotten" here.

Practicing, will put a up a video sometime soon.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thank You

Fantastic post, jujy. Most of the pianos in shops here are all new and pretty much the equivalent of nondescript department store aquatics, but I (predictably) love how you chose a Weil Noir to take home.

Now, I wonder what piece / composer / performer would be the musical equivalent of Noir?

Work on that video - would love to hear the Beast's bass notes!

queen of the universe

I'm working on the muscular and impassioned Brahms Intermezzo, op118, nr 1, which seems to express the Beast well. Here's previously made video of me practicing it. It still needs work:

Played with great gusto! I love those late Brahms pieces.

Blog Entries

Very apt analogy! I like to compare perfumes to paintings. It's interesting to think of it in terms of music and or various instruments as well. So many art forms coincide with fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

As has been mentioned in the past, perfumers use an 'organ'.
    perfumers organ

queen of the universe

lpp, wow!
    Thank you, Marais, I have ambitions to add more sweep to it, which means more accuracy, hopefully leading to a faster tempo. Glenn Gould's recording is, as you may expect, idiosyncratic, but it works. He leaves out the repeats, and plays it as one huge phrase, like a single wave coming ashore. Here it is:

Default Pianos and Perfumes

I have that performance on CD and love it I doubt if GG was a perfume fan. He looks a bit of a scruffy bugger in most photographs I have seen. Another great but eccentric Brahmsian, Ivo Pogorelich, strikes me as more of a fragrance-wearer.

Oh, jujy54, how WONDERFUL! Thank you for sharing your Steinway acquisition story and playing with us! It took me straight back to my childhood, much of which I spent under our piano, my doll in one arm, my two middle fingers in my mouth, listening to my older brother practice everything from scales to concertos (the piano parts). What a delight to listen to you via the Internet. Your video feels so, so familiar. He used to talk to the sheet music, too. Sometimes I'd get up and turn pages for him when he really got going. You put a smile on my face. How wonderful that your dream came true.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    As has been mentioned in the past, perfumers use an 'organ'.
    perfumers organ
    I want one of THOSE!
    Last edited by ScentFan; 4th January 2014 at 06:11 PM.

Great stuff, Jujy! As you can probably assume from my screen name, a bit of a piano fan myself. Sold my Yamaha about 8 years ago when money was tight, and truly regret it. It was just a run-of-the-mill upright (P22), but a dumb move on my behalf nonetheless.

As for pianists, you can keep your Glenn Gould! For me, the greatest pianist of the 20th Century had to be Earl Wild. Were it around in 1986, I could picture Earl in some MFK Lumiere Noire whilst tearing through some Liszt on his Baldwin. Pure class.

"Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Jujy, thanks for sharing this lovely story with us again, and including some ♥ Brahms ♥ this time, too. I learned to play on my mother's Steinway, which was her mother's before her and originally belonged to her (my grandmother's) father, so it's been in the family a while ...we actually sort of think of it as a part of the family. And it acts like it, too - it really seems to "know" us and our individual styles, and what we're trying to express. It's intuitive, simply put, and it makes everyone who sits down at her (oh, ours is a woman, lol!) a better player. Anyway, if you're not already familiar with it, I think you'd enjoy this wonderful, award-winning documentary on the making of a Steinway L1037, beginning with the selection of the wood from a live Alaskan Spruce to its spot in Steinway Hall. If you haven't seen it, you're in for a treat.

I don't necessarily relate to the piano/perfume connection as much as I relate to the music/perfume connection, but I do hope you and your magnificent, sexy beast have many joyful, tearful, passionate and fragrant hours together for many years to come.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Jujy, love how you walk and talk us through the Brahms - looking forward to the next update!

Ivory88, thanks for sharing that video! Earl Wild voices his lines so beautifully. And I hope you'll regain access to a piano at some point.

I was wearing some long-neglected Jardin sur le Nil when I revisited some Scarlatti not too long ago, and all the runs and huge leaps must have unleashed something in the Jardin; at any rate, I suddenly found that it and the Scarlatti had something to say to each other in terms of the sparkling transparent textures and harmonic invention that they shared in common. Now, I can't think of one without the other.

Rachmaninov for me, but here's a great video to compare:

Evangeline, it must have been magical to learn on a piano that's so personally meaningful.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 4th January 2014 at 08:33 PM.

I do not play piano (I play flute)
    But I Love this video and Boris Berezovsky

and it is strongly connected to me with Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche
    Last edited by Lyuba; 5th January 2014 at 03:17 PM.

Some wonderful performances so far. Here's one of my favourites, Pogo doing LvB's Opus 111. Rumour has it he was wearing Jicky.

Last edited by Marais; 5th January 2014 at 07:27 PM.

Thank you for starting this thread, jujy. I have no video to imbed, but I am certainly enjoying the ones that you and our BN companions have contributed thus far.

And there's a little bit of menace in Norma Kamali Incense that always reminds me of the sonorities of tolling church bells in the infamous C# minor prelude:

queen of the universe

Wow, basenoters have run with this. So much beautiful music, with the Romantics getting heavy rotation. Lyba, Berezovsky is new to me, I just love that his playing is both precise and lush! I don't have a single favorite pianist, I appreciate a variety of styles and interpretations. Most recent live performances I've been to are Louis Lortie (Beethoven 4 w/Clevel Orch), and Hlne Grimaud, Beethoven 5 also w/TCO. Both wonderful, Lortie for his wit, and Grimaud for her intellect and vigor.

Roma per Uomo Biagiotti

Great story jujy! I inherited my mother's Steinway L (she bought it in 1974 and everyone in my family played it). It's my prized possession and the number one criteria for the house we bought last year was a space for it. Definitely a Chanel instrument!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk