Code of Conduct

Default No decant samples on eBay UK

I've taken a break from fragrance obsessing for a few months, but I'm back and I discover there are no sample decants on eBay anymore. What happened? I know there were some postal regs coming in but I'm sure I was still buying decants after that in the summer and we were all just taking our chances with the post.

Has eBay UK pulled the plug? Where are the sellers listing now, e.g. kaoslink

Default Re: No decant samples on eBay UK

Ebay banned the sale of decants and samples some years back. They where taken to court in France by the perfumers.

But they have been back, you are looking at the wrong time. Its the holiday and auctions have ended people being away not re listing just yet. just before Christmas there were loads.
    DONNA

Banned
    Blog Entries

Plenty still in the U.S.!!

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Ebay banned the sale of decants and samples some years back. They where taken to court in France by the perfumers.

But they have been back, you are looking at the wrong time. Its the holiday and auctions have ended people being away not re listing just yet. just before Christmas there were loads.
    I sell decants myself on an ongoing BIN/Best Offer and mine were removed by ebay just before Xmas and I was warned against future listing of such items. I was only selling 5 x 5ml of each Pure Malt, Pure Havane and Spicebomb, so pretty small-time really. Can only assume this has happened with others as well. Too much of coincidence for ALL decant sellers to suddenly decide to withdraw their listings. By that logic nobody would have anything listed on ebay over the holidays. Or do decant sellers value their time off more than any other type of seller?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sure Shot View Post
    I sell decants myself on an ongoing BIN/Best Offer and mine were removed by ebay just before Xmas and I was warned against future listing of such items. I was only selling 5 x 5ml of each Pure Malt, Pure Havane and Spicebomb, so pretty small-time really. Can only assume this has happened with others as well. Too much of coincidence for ALL decant sellers to suddenly decide to withdraw their listings. By that logic nobody would have anything listed on ebay over the holidays. Or do decant sellers value their time off more than any other type of seller?!
    I agree. The samples I used to browse/buy were on BIN 30-day auctions which would automatically renew after the 30 days. Seems too much of a coincidence for them all to disappear. I think Ebay UK has done something. If so, this is practically a TRAGEDY for me!!!! I used to love getting my niche/unusual fragrance 1ml hits. Buy no more

3295 samples listed on there right now so there must be some decent ones!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    3295 samples listed on there right now so there must be some decent ones!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40
    Only had a quick blast through 200 or so but can't see any decants, just designer samples. That's definitely unusual. This also happened about 18 months ago where they withdrew my listings midway through the 30 day period. I gave it a few weeks and then started again without any problem until now. Don't want to chance it myself in the immediate future though just in case they carry out their threat. They probably just have a cull every now and then to show themselves as having 'responsible' attitude towards dealing with evil decant sellers who have the audacity to make about 50p profit at the expense of the multinational perfume houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sure Shot View Post
    Only had a quick blast through 200 or so but can't see any decants, just designer samples. That's definitely unusual. This also happened about 18 months ago where they withdrew my listings midway through the 30 day period. I gave it a few weeks and then started again without any problem until now. Don't want to chance it myself in the immediate future though just in case they carry out their threat. They probably just have a cull every now and then to show themselves as having 'responsible' attitude towards dealing with evil decant sellers who have the audacity to make about 50p profit at the expense of the multinational perfume houses.
    Interesting, thanks. I really do hope the decanted samples come back.

As Tanya Sanchez says, it's not even at the expense of the perfume houses. It's not like I'd be buying full bottles instead. And the sellers have paid for the juice - perhaps they wouldn't buy the full bottle if they couldn't decant it. It's not the same as ripping CDs, or unauthorised downloads etc. The fragrance is a physical consumable that has been purchased already.

Rant over!

It may depend on the search terms - if you look for a product by name in Fragrances, there are often decant listings, but this is possibly a quiet time of year, although 10ml atomisers are being listed more, from what I've seen.
    A member here did complain that his Ebay decant listings had been pulled recently 'though.

A general 'decant' search threw this up
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...+&_sacat=26396

Someone is also selling 'niche' bottles with 25 + ml in them on there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    It may depend on the search terms - if you look for a product by name in Fragrances, there are often decant listings, but this is possibly a quiet time of year, although 10ml atomisers are being listed more, from what I've seen.
    A member here did complain that his Ebay decant listings had been pulled recently 'though.

A general 'decant' search threw this up
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...+&_sacat=26396

Someone is also selling 'niche' bottles with 25 + ml in them on there right now.
    Yeah I think a couple are always going to slip through the net but relatively speaking that is a very low number of sellers offering decants. Once you reduce that down to 'UK only' there's only a handful of different decant vendors - the vast majority of that list is made up of 'decanters' and two people who are selling multiple items.

It used to be a very healthy market where there was competition amongst a range of sellers trying to flog pretty much all of the more popular niches Tom Ford, Lutens, Malle etc. Now you search 'Tobacco Vanille' and you're met with a single decant option and none for 'Musc Ravageur'. I suspect this is just a lull, with sellers wary of relisting due to the ebay threat plus the quieter holiday period. I'd hope that normal service will be resumed over the next few weeks.

What I did see quite a bit when the ban first happened, was a seller showing the full size bottle and fragrance name. Then when you clicked onto for more info they had a photo of a 2-5mls size bottle and saying this was a decant. Never put decant in search, I think ebay has blocked people using it in the main title.
    DONNA

I've noticed that happens a great deal with Amouage products, Donna255. - I usually search by product name or brand.

Thanks for the info., Sure Sot - hope it's a lull!

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    What I did see quite a bit when the ban first happened, was a seller showing the full size bottle and fragrance name. Then when you clicked onto for more info they had a photo of a 2-5mls size bottle and saying this was a decant. Never put decant in search, I think ebay has blocked people using it in the main title.
    Yeah I have never used the word 'decant' when I sell as it's asking for trouble. I always just list the frag name and size with a picture of the original bottle and the smaller decant next to it.

Regardless though I can't imagine many people actually use the word 'decant' when they search as it narrows the field too much. Much easier (as well as more results) for a buyer to search for the name of the frag you're after and then see who is selling a decant of it.

For mine to have been spotted and withdrawn I'm assuming that ebay have made a concerted effort to find me as I do not mention the word decant anywhere in my title or description. They couldn't have found me with an automated search as there's no wording that would raise any suspicion so maybe someone has physically trawled through all the non-'new' listings? If so I'm sure it's not something that will be happening too often!

Yes, I always search/searched on a fragrance name and then sorted by price to get the decants at the top. There's definitely a tiny fraction listed now compared with 6 months ago.

I really hope you are right, Sure Shot, and they come back. I'll keep checking.

A friend of mine used to sell decants on the bay and he has stopped. He said that ebay contacted him and told him to stop, he also got warned.

I found a guy on ebid, goes by the name of perfumista, he sells decants. I've ordered from him once, pleasant transaction and the perfumes were authentic.

I think the decants will slowly make their way back to ebay.

I have had a similar experience with eBay, used to buy and sell quite a few decants but now removed so do have to be clever with wording and search through search results.

There's a new community set up on reddit that covers decants in the Uk - http://www.reddit.com/r/fragsplits so I am keeping my eye on that. They've done aventus and have a tom ford one going on right now.

For eBay if you search for the name of the fragrance you want and just look through results there's usually some hidden decants
    Last edited by Khirsah; 12th January 2014 at 08:47 AM.

eBay had a big clamp down just before christmas and they pulled virtually all the listings, banned a few sellers and warned others. They'll probably recover slowly and I've noticed there are a few previous sellers already slowly adding things back under new account names but it'll take a long time to get back to what it was and eBay will no doubt do the same again periodically.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post

I found a guy on ebid, goes by the name of perfumista, he sells decants. I've ordered from him once, pleasant transaction and the perfumes were authentic.
    Thats me! Glad you were happy with the transaction and I'm currently working on more improvements and adding more to the range. The benefit of ebid is that its actually cheaper than ebay in terms of fee's so the prices are lower. Downside is lower traffic with ebid not being as popular as eBay.

Excellent, good to hear you're a fellow BN'er. I placed another order with you this week too!

There are more appearing on eBay again now. I will also check out eBid (and perfumista!), hadn't heard of that website before. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post

Excellent, good to hear you're a fellow BN'er. I placed another order with you this week too!
    Thanks for the custom, it really is appreciated.

They really do seem to have dropped off, or at least become a whole lot less visible, in the last few weeks. It makes browsing for what is available really hard, but I understand that Ebay has rules and I understand that as a larger company that makes Ebay a much better target for the consortium of perfumiers to pressurise.

It makes life really hard for those of us who don't live near a decent perfumery so have to pay postage for each sample from a decent shop though.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

I got my selling privelages removed after they withdrew all my listings. Im only selling to help fund my next purchases so it wasn't a business to me like it is with some but nonetheless, ebay was getting annoying to operate on. The fees, the postage and the seller protection was making decants seem extortinate but the reality was I was making a quid odds on a 5ml decant lol Distant Echo, above, was good seller and hope to meet him on ebid soon

I have seen samples in the last few days. Now they are the ones given out free by the companies and stores.
    DONNA

Basenotes Member

I'm new to sampling, and it looks like I've arrived at a bad time. I've found a few sellers on eBay that are selling 5ml decants. I'll check out ebid though!

Hi folks, I'm a newbie here so feel free to point and laugh!

I'm new to the whole fragrance game but started getting into it just before Christmas. I've been listing 5ml decants on ebay uk for about 2 or 3 weeks now. I've used BIN format listings on 3 day limits and experienced no problems at all selling about 25 different decants. That was, up until yesterday. I received a M999 listing violation email from ebay, notifying me that I had breached their listing policies and the offending listings had been ended. There were no clear reasons stated as to why they had been taken down. The listings were 2 Dior decants and a Guerlain one.

After this I went through all my listings, removing the words 'decant', 'sample' and 'tester'. Today I received another M999 violation notice informing me L'Oreal had contacted them and said that I was breaching their intellectual property rights. Another 4 listings got the can. I've now been on and ended them all myself to avoid account suspension.

Now, I'm toying with the idea of setting a decant site up off ebay but I'm worried the same thing will happen. I've looked at sites like The Scented Court and noticed that they show no pictures of the product, so I'm wondering if that is why they're still trading. ie - is it the fact that I was using pictures of the actual original bottles to sell the decants that has caused me these problems? Anyone know? Input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Paul.

Basenotes Member

Are you area51uk?

Yep, that is/was me! Famous at last.

What about using Crystal Flacon, pm78?

try;

http://www.reddit.com/r/fragsplits

or on Facebook there's a group called something like Fragrance Sales/Swap/Splits UK

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by pm78 View Post
    Yep, that is/was me! Famous at last.
    Ha! I had your page saved, for future buys.

haha! Well bang goes that idea!

I've had a look at Crystal Flacon (hadn't heard of it before) and the Reddit one mentioned by Khirsah. They're both possibilities to consider thank you.

I'm in the middle of playing around with a shopify store on a free trial. I think I may give that a shot, without using photos of manufacturer bottles, and see what happens. I didn't have a massive selection or stock base but things were rolling along at a pace I was happy with. I guess I'll see what happens with the site when I make it live. The advantage with that would be that I can always add new/different products if I want to branch off into something else. Thanks folks.

Good luck, pm78!

Quote Originally Posted by pm78 View Post
    haha! Well bang goes that idea!

I've had a look at Crystal Flacon (hadn't heard of it before) and the Reddit one mentioned by Khirsah. They're both possibilities to consider thank you.

I'm in the middle of playing around with a shopify store on a free trial. I think I may give that a shot, without using photos of manufacturer bottles, and see what happens. I didn't have a massive selection or stock base but things were rolling along at a pace I was happy with. I guess I'll see what happens with the site when I make it live. The advantage with that would be that I can always add new/different products if I want to branch off into something else. Thanks folks.
    Thing is thats at least 10/month plus 2% transaction fees, so thats already squeezing margins on you. It also removes the PP gift aspect I bet tha most splitters rely on for 'good faith' so it opens you up to chargebacks (although have that risk with ebay too). Only takes one guy to say he didn't receive his 50ml of aventus for it to push you into a negative unless you build some serious pad into it.