Code of Conduct

Thread: Random Sniffs

Default Random Sniffs

Though I have two genres ready to explore, chypre and incense, there are still these random samples lying around. Might as well sniff them. Feel free to post about any random ones of yours.

Tam Dao by Diptyque. Oh, nice. A clean, fresh scent. Doesn't trouble my nose. I don't feel I'll wear it because it's missing that depth in the base that haunts me, but this is sure nice. Citrus maybe? Woods, for sure. Perhaps a spice. Really nice. I could keep smelling it. Looking it up. It's sandalwood, my favorite wood. Oh, and myrtle, Italian cypress, cedar, Brazilian rosewood, and amber, musk, some rose at the top. Nice, really, for this genre that Fragrantica calls floral/woody/musk.

Ginn Fizz by Lubin. Hadn't heard of this house. Nice, nice fresh fragrance, though! Unexpected. There's the ginger and, surely, lime? Oh, no! and the sneeze-making ingredient, if less extremely as in Ineke. Oh well. It was made for Grace Kelly and named after a popular drink of the time. It's a Citrus Aromatic that Lubin calls “A fresh and flowery chypre with lemony top notes over an aldehyde and musky base.“ Looking up the house of Lubin. Heck, they've been around since 1798. Playing one of the Gymnopedies as their website music. First made perfumes for the "Incroyable et Merveilleuse," an elegant, decadant culture of aristocrats, who overdid it after the French Revolution. Then Lubin perfumed Josephine and Bonaparte, etc. It's a good fragrance. One more of theirs, then beddie-bye.

Korrigan by Lubin. Oh! Stank! And, what? Caramel? Can't be. I wouldn't wear it, but it's cool. Sophisticated funk. Fragrantica calls it an Oriental Vanilla. Top: Juniper berry, saffon, cognac. Mid: lavender, ambrette (musk mallow) and whiskey. Base: cedar, agarwood (oud), leather, vetiver and musk. Hey, the house's website calls it a: Caramel Wood Liquer. Score one for my sneezing nose.

Default Re: Random Sniffs

I do not know if vintage Gin Fizz is as annoying as the current, but I doubt. I find it one of the worst in an otherwise good lineup (bonus for cool bottles for certain scents). I'd say right now the most famous is Idole. Korrigan is a spinoff, but more crude than the smoother, lighter original. On the fresh side, Eau neuve and vetiver are also very good.

cacio

Vintage Gin Fizz had the advantage of interesting packaging, although I haven't tried it as the current one is so very bland.

The recent Nuit de Longchamp was also disappointing to me, although the original was probably good so sampling the current one was certainly evocative but a bit sad.

My random sniff yesterday was Ambre Muscadin by LM Parfums, the violet in this one is lovely and the ambery benzoin-ish dry down very nice indeed, although the vanilla might be a bit too prominent for me - will have to have another go.
    Last edited by lpp; 5th January 2014 at 08:54 AM.

Yes, Gin Fizz is annoying, but I thought that was just me. It has a density I don't enjoy, something that bothers my nose a lot. Any idea what this could be cacio, or Ipp?

LM Parfums? Is this a good house? I'm trying to identify the top niche houses, especially any with quality equivalent to Slumberhouse.

---

p.s. Never mind about LM. I searched BN threads.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 5th January 2014 at 05:31 PM.

Sorry, don't remember, ScentaFan - will have to locate the sample!

LM is new to me but being explored - I like their Hard Leather a lot & intend obtaining a sample of the orchid one soon.

Blog Entries

So today I finally got to try Mona di Orio's- Violette Fumée. I have to say, so far, about 1/2 hour in, I'm fairly disappointed. It starts out promising, a light bright violet. Turns quickly to Play Dough, then gets rubbery. I'll check in later if there's any improvement.

I thought that it was possibly overpriced, kumquat?
    Longevity was not very good.

Blog Entries

Default Random Sniffs

MdO is pricey. It's usually strong, though. I washed it off too soon. Will have to try again. I agree it seemed faint.

Now I'm trying 'Vero Profumo- Kiki, Voile de Extract' It starts soapy and kind of green floral. I think it's ylang ylang. Not too nice, kind of jarring.

Turns out it's- Bergamot, citrus, cassis, lavender, geranium opening. I'm waiting for the Opoponax, patchouli, caramel and musk to kick in.

Now that it's warming up and the harsh top notes are gone, I'm liking it more.

Good if you like a warm, spicy lavender. Not for me though. Too soapy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kumquat; 8th January 2014 at 01:05 AM.

Blog Entries

Rubj is the next Voile de Extrait I'm trying. Starts with a pleasant, fruity accord. So far, so good.

notes- bergamot, mandarine, neroli, orange flower absolute, tuberose, jasmine, cedar, mousse de chène, musk

This is mellowing out nicely, however, I'm going to reapply because it's so faint.

In the end it is rather faint with plastic overtones. Meh.

This fume feels like it's trying too hard to be something it isn't.
    Last edited by kumquat; 8th January 2014 at 01:08 AM.

Nice sniffs, kumquat!

On my way to bed, grabbed a by Killian sample. Don't recall trying this house yet. The perfume is Good Girl Gone Bad. Thank goodness, no sneezing. It has a warm something in the center, probably jasmine and something creamy. I'm guessing Sandalwood? There's a spicy or woody top note, too. Cedar? A dash of pepper. Looking it up. "jasmine, osmanthus and may rose; middle notes are indian tuberose and narcissus; base notes are amber and cedar." Just got osmanthus in. Sniffing. Yes, it's the creamy note, along with amber. This is a beautiful perfume which gets better on my skin and doesn't seem about to fade. Must see if by Killian has a sample set.

Blog Entries

So far all the By Killians have been too sweet for me. Except for the lavender one which I bought. A Taste of Heaven So this Good Girl scent sounds interesting. I'll try it. I like osmanthus.

There's anther one which tried to be more tart and edgy- I think it was Cruel Intentions. But it was just bitter and strange, IMO.

Have you ever tried the Profumum line? They have some lovely things.
    Last edited by kumquat; 8th January 2014 at 02:44 PM.

Blog Entries

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti.../Au%5FLac.html

Here's the info on this scent

Eau L'Italie - Au Lac.
    This is supposed to have water lily and orange and whatnot in it. It just reminds me of so many scents by Diptyque, either Jardin Clos or L'Ombre Dans L'Eau. And there's also a distinctly familiar air of Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder. All in all, a downer since this scent also has my favorite; osmanthus.

I looked at this on my iPhone and this part of my review doesn't appear. Only the LuckyScent address. How odd!
    Last edited by kumquat; 11th January 2014 at 08:17 PM.

The only one of these I have tried is Tam Dao which seems a solid sandalwood to me, but I didn't feel that it stood out above it's competition particularly. However, it was very wearable. Subtle but firm in it's subtleties.

Haven't tried yours, yet, kumquat, but Au Lac sounds interesting. Yesterday I went to Saks for general sniffing and was bowled over by two:

En Passant by Frederick Malle
    . Fell in complete love with this white floral and bought an FB. Wouldn't have predicted that before it happened. Lilac surrounded by watery and green notes, cucumber and wheat. The result was headily addictive.

Chinatown by Bond No. 9. I have a Bond sample set on the way from a BN trade, so this was just idle curiosity. The clerk sprayed this one on a round Bond test paper and I kept returning to it. Apparently, it won a Fifi or some such award when it came out. I bought a purse size spray. Now I see 50 ml are available on ebay for the same price! At any rate, "Top notes seduce with intoxicating scents of peach blossoms and bergamot. The heart is composed of gardenia, honey and sensual sweet tuberose, peony and orange blossom, while the base is made of patchouli, cedar, warm and soft vanilla, sandalwood, cardamom, and Guiac wood." This has great longevity and my nose feasts on it in joy. Already, it's in my top 10.

With these and the many samples ordered, there went the January perfume budget! However, I came away with a haul of Malle and by Killian samples, as well as a few Bonds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti.../Au%5FLac.html

Here's the info on this scent

Eau L'Italie - Au Lac.
    This is supposed to have water lily and orange and whatnot in it. It just reminds me of so many scents by Diptyque, either Jardin Clos or L'Ombre Dans L'Eau. And there's also a distinctly familiar air of Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder. All in all, a downer since this scent also has my favorite; osmanthus.

I looked at this on my iPhone and this part of my review doesn't appear. Only the LuckyScent address. How odd!
    I don't know how much of this review shows up here so I'm 'reposting' it here. I don't know if you should bother with this one. It has NO silage and is not very imaginative, IMO.

There are some reviews here, some fairly recent.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26132190.html

Blog Entries

ScentFan- I like Chinatown​ except for the lychee nut. I see you don't list it. I wonder if they've changed it. Do you see it listed anywhere?

ScentFan- I like Chinatown​ except for the lychee nut. I see you don't list it. I wonder if they've changed it. Do you see it listed anywhere?
    No lychee that I can see or smell.

I don't know how much of this review shows up here so I'm 'reposting' it here. I don't know if you should bother with this one. It has NO silage and is not very imaginative, IMO.
    Okay, thanks! Will pass.