Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool You gotta love EBAY!!!

I've been getting some relatively good deals on Ebay as of late. My recent purchases have been Chanel Platinum Egoiste 3.4oz $37, Kenzo Power 2.0oz $25, Lancome Hypnose 2.5oz $35, DHI 3.4oz $80. As long as your smart about your purchases you have nothing ro worry about. Anyone snatch up any great deals on Ebay please share your thoughts.

Default Re: You gotta love EBAY!!!

lol a Chanel for <50% retail price on eBay... what could go wrong?

INB4 'Is my Chanel Platinum Egoiste FAKE?' thread

(On a serious note, I hope it works out for you and it's real, but I would've been skeptical at $60... let alone $37. Chanel's just don't get discounted.)
    Last edited by mjones602; 4th January 2014 at 08:44 PM.

He's absolutely right about the Chanel. If you get a real one, then congrats. But you're chances aren't good and I wouldn't recommend it as a regular practice.

i recently got a vintage Paloma Picasso Minotaure 1.7oz bottle for just $35. That was a steal and it was low risk.
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garons
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9
    Soon to include "Ab Spirit Silver"

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

I love Ebay for fragrance bargains. I avoid buying super popular brands like Chanel, the prices aren't very good and there is to much chance of getting a fake. On the other hand buying an used Fendi Uomo for twenty dollars is a win every time. Good luck on your purchases.

For used vintage stuff it can be excellent. Unfortunately a new 100ml Chanel for $37 is pretty much guaranteed to be fake.

Yes NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy popular fragrances off Ebay unless its from Fragrancenet Ebay or a few other very high reputed Fragrance sellers.

I'll be looking forward to your "Is my Chanel Platinum Egoiste a fake" thread.

Please include clear photos

I recently got Tommy Bahama Set Sail South Seas 3.4 oz for 23 bucks which wasn't bad, considering it's one of the harder TB's to find. I also got a bottle of Jacomo Paradox Green in a 1.7 oz around 25 bucks, which.. although not as cheap as I have gotten it in the past, is a steal because it's now discontinued and extremely hard to find. I usually just use ebay more so for obscure and rare fragrances, as I am, like many others, skeptical with buying the popular ones, that are often knocked off.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Best deal I can remember was a BNIB 100ml Spray of vinatge Gengis Khan years back for $46.50. Don't shop much there now.

(2616)
    Last edited by hednic; 4th January 2014 at 09:59 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I asked seller if it was authentic they said yes and if I was not satisfied they would refund me. I know how to differentiate between fake PE and real thanks to some research, so we shall see when it comes in this week.

I once got a real 100 ml bottle of YSL Opium ph for $3.50 on ebay. Other than that, real deals are hard to come by.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ebay is great!!
    I hope you will be happy when everything arrives..

I got HDP Ambre 114 a few months back at a great price..

Quote Originally Posted by USAFammo9 View Post
    I asked seller if it was authentic they said yes and if I was not satisfied they would refund me. I know how to differentiate between fake PE and real thanks to some research, so we shall see when it comes in this week.
    Did you expect him to tell you that it was fake?

It's a fake. You don't get Chanels at that price.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post

It's gotta be used ..
    Maybe half full..
    That's a fair deal

I obviously didn't expect him to tell me it's fake but he is willing to refund me it I'm not satisfied. The good thing about Ebay is the Ebay buyer protection which pretty much guarantees you to get refunded even if the seller doesn't agree. They always side with the buyer.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I obviously didn't expect him to tell me it's fake but he is willing to refund me it I'm not satisfied. The good thing about Ebay is the Ebay buyer protection which pretty much guarantees you to get refunded even if the seller doesn't agree. They always side with the buyer.
    We all know but if it's 2 good 2 be true

For sure, but I'd rather avoid the hassle. If you see a Chanel going for around $30, it's almost guaranteed to be a fake.

A couple years ago, I saw some Allure Edition Blanche on eBay for around $30. I msg'd the seller and told him that I was a fragrance collector, and if the bottle is fake, I will know right away. I also told him that I've bought fake goods on ebay in the past, and I'm more than familiar with the claims process. His reply was hilarious. He told me that they were authentic, but that they were B grade product, meaning the scent only lasts 1 hour. Needless to say, I didn't go through with the purchase.

Well they weren't flat out buy it now $35 it was an auction that ended at $35 doubt that makes a difference though.

I think you can strike lucky if it's an unwanted gift or similar (xmas anyone?). I would be very wary if the seller had multiple bottles. IMO BIN for $30 is v different from auction ending at $30.

Hope it works out for you.

Echoing what others have said, the Chanel is pretty much a guaranteed fake.

Ebay is a weird place, especially when it comes to fragrances. There are times where you can find obscure, vintage gems for a very reasonable price that you'll likely never see elsewhere. Other times prices are so high that it hurts.

You'll hear all kinds of stories about how people have found great deals for certain scents, found gems they've been seeking for years and those that say they've gotten burned with bad or fake juice, sellers that do not cooperate and cause a whole hassle that many wish they could go back in time and avoid.

Time and experience will make you wary of what is a good deal and whats a rip off and what to look for to see if the stuff is authentic, sometimes it takes getting burned a few times to really learn.

Chanels are not guaranteed fakes on eBay. Of course if you buy it from the guy with 30 of the same listings for a stock photo of bleu, and a newly created account, you're going to get scammed. Only bid on listings with an actual picture. Also go for testers/partially used bottles, as those are less likely to be fakes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wells now you guys are talking to me like I'm a newb. I may not be active in the forums but I'm no newbie I know you can get burned on ebay happened with a bottle of gucci ph. Got my money back plus $15 for the hassle.

Not everyone is being condescending to you.

I have done my share of buying on ebay and have never been burned. I do check ratings and do research, I just don't buy if I see something I want. There are good sellers. Just be careful.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Experienced though you may be (and I don't doubt that you are), the tone of your OP does sound rather noob-ish. Just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Experienced though you may be (and I don't doubt that you are), the tone of your OP does sound rather noob-ish. Just sayin....
    ?

The guy was just sharing some good deals he had on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Switch245 View Post
    ?

The guy was just sharing some good deals he had on Ebay.
    Proclaiming that one snagged some great deals on eBay (especially for Chanel) before even receiving the items could be construed as a bit of ignorance to the fact that there are a ton of fakes to be found on that site (again, especially Chanel). Just my humble opinion, of course...
    Last edited by caferacer; 5th January 2014 at 01:28 AM.

I purchased a vintage bottle from ebay for $35. The seller only had 1 and had a 100% rating with over 600 sales.

It was 2/3 full and had Egoiste above Platinum. It smells like the sample I have but the smell isn't as sharp as the current formulation (I believe that is due to age). I still found 2 sprays on the chest to be cloying so it still has some kick. EgoistePlatinum.JPG

Apologies for drifting off topic...........caferacer, my friend has a project ongoing at the moment to build his cafe racer (from a Ducatti I believe). I had never heard of cafe racers prior to this and they do look v cool. I assume yours is a Norton?

Some you sound like a bunch of stuck up frag heads who got picked on in high school. This is suppose to be a place to talk and ask for help and share our fragrance related thoughts, not criticize people and call them ignorant.
    Last edited by USAFammo9; 5th January 2014 at 01:46 AM.

Hey USA I wish you all the best on your purchases on Ebay.

I for one have had some really good deals, be it on Ebay, Strawberry Net, Fragrance X, Fragrance Net and the list goes on for all of us who appreciate the fragrance opportunities that are presented. Like you I am not a NEWB I just don't post that often. I will be interested in the outcome of your Ebay purchase, somebody will always have a hard luck story to tell from purchasing from the various sites, but more often with a bit of consideration it will work out fairly, even on Ebay.

Congrats for the good findings. Personally never bought here, but simply because I am not that familiar with trusted retailers and thus the risks may be more significant for me.

Some you sound like a bunch of stuck up frag heads who got picked on in high school. This is suppose to be a place to talk and ask for help and share our fragrance related thoughts, not criticize people and call them ignorant.
    Don't worry about it, bro. Hopefully your PE will be genuine and you will get the last laugh.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

On balance I think it could have been worse.
    I once posted that I had put in a bid for a fake bottle of a Chanel scent and was called an idiot, whiner and God knows what else
    Like any other forum you don't know who is replying to you. Some people have real issues

Dude if you wanna get some real deal just login on your facebook and become a member of a fragrance group .

Basenotes Junkie

This type of behavior is all too common on Basenotes. Quite childish. Most Bnoters are very freindly and welcoming though. Good luck with your purchases USAFammo9, I hope it works out favorably for you.

I think ebay can be great for purchases.

These are my most recent purchases:
    2.5 oz Armani Code tester for $38.
    Kenzo Power for $20
    Prada Amber Intense for $35

Also a great place to get samples.

I think most of us are wishing for the best outcome of course, and appreciate the OP sharing his findings. I think most posts were just made as a general warning and reminder of the abundance of fake Chanel fragrances on e-bay and that based on the price, there is very real reason for concern.

I personally would be very worried about PE at that price - but I hope OP found a diamond in the rough and it's 100% real.

I hope it works for you, USAFammo9 - I'm still waiting for a refund (due to non-arrival of an item ) from a seller who most kindly refunded my payment by e-cheque - which had not been my original payment method.
    It's going to take around one month from the date of purchase as Paypal apparently now have to process crediting the cleared payment to my card.

It's something that I may well consider in the future before dealing with sellers unknown to me in the case of larger transactions.
    Last edited by lpp; 5th January 2014 at 03:10 PM.

Well the OP was happy this morning. Let's leave him in that state shall we?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Have I bought a fragrance deal on eBay that was legit? Damn right. Have I been stung? Almost, but not quite. Two purchases, one as a noob for Creed Irish Creed turned out to be Green Irish Fritch but was returned for a total refund. Then, a purchase of Aramis Devin back in 2010, used but 50% still left, arrived leaked in the box and less than 2% (my estimation) inside the bottle. I had to take it to eBay 'court' but won my money back. Otherwise, I have been OK with the dozen or so eBay fragrance buys, most at very, very good prices.

I feel an eBay purchase is a bit of a gamble but with proper diligence can be very rewarding.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Buying fragrances on Ebay is relatively straight forward. Buy little known uncommon frags that don't have mass appeal. Look at the seller's feedback and know that you can get your money back through PayPal if your argument is legit. Having said that, I bought a 100 ml Creed MI. Smelled like crap, label was crooked on the bottle, and the bottom of the box said Green Irish Tweed. I was offended that the counterfeiter didn't even try to make it look real.

For sure, but I'd rather avoid the hassle. If you see a Chanel going for around $30, it's almost guaranteed to be a fake.

A couple years ago, I saw some Allure Edition Blanche on eBay for around $30. I msg'd the seller and told him that I was a fragrance collector, and if the bottle is fake, I will know right away. I also told him that I've bought fake goods on ebay in the past, and I'm more than familiar with the claims process. His reply was hilarious. He told me that they were authentic, but that they were B grade product, meaning the scent only lasts 1 hour. Needless to say, I didn't go through with the purchase.
    This has to be the funniest "I will rob you blind" reply.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    i'll be looking forward to your "is my chanel platinum egoiste a fake" thread.

Please include clear photos
    lol

Post a link to the PE listing!

Anyway, I just recently got burned on a purchase and I even knew better...

Hope the stuff you got was the real deal.

I've always had great luck snagging deals on vintage fragrances on eBay. I quickly loaded up on miniatures, often sold in lots, and they're great for display and sampling a wide variety of houses. There are a lot of men's cologne minis there, and they're much less likely to be fakes, IMO. I used to have a search monitor there with perfume/cologne miniatures the keywords, and the alerts helped me scoop up great deals.
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the website - http://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

I was happy to get a Bvlgari Black tester for $25 shipped on eBay.

Got 30ml of Creed Vetiver 1948 for $100 a while back, and 30ml of Creed Himalaya for $30 not too long ago.

Both smell like every other sample I have had from either, and never felt I was ripped off.

Of the dozens of sample/decant purchases I have made on eBay, only once did I receive something fishy, but as it turns out Creed BDP really is that gross when you first stick your nose in it.

Perhaps the ambergris did go stale and they were old samples which went funky as they sat in a warehouse, but for the price I got them at I knew it was a gamble.

Lesson number 1: You can't buy new bottles of Chanel fragrances for dirt cheap prices. Discounted a bit yes, but they just don't give these away like it's an Avon fragrance.

My ebay is surrendertochance.com

They have competitive prices and greats deals , not to mention their weekly coupons.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Good for you! Enjoy.

Oh... well if the seller said it was real, then yeah, you're good.

Hoping for the best, my friend, and I keeping my fingers crossed you got a great deal.

Best one is fragrancenet on EBay ...great deals!!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I've been getting some relatively good deals on Ebay as of late. My recent purchases have been Chanel Platinum Egoiste 3.4oz $37, Kenzo Power 2.0oz $25, Lancome Hypnose 2.5oz $35, DHI 3.4oz $80. As long as your smart about your purchases you have nothing ro worry about. Anyone snatch up any great deals on Ebay please share your thoughts.
    Look, mate - you started this thread to brag about your latest purchase; nobody's begrudging you for that. We're collectors, it's in our nature to share our latest acquisitions, hence why the "Today I Bought" threads are so popular.

As you're not a noob, surely you've noticed that even after one person expresses their view in a thread (no matter how popular a view it might be), other people will still post, reaffirming that popular view over and over again. I think you were expecting this, as if it was a truly great deal, you would have gladly lapped up the dozens of comments of "great score" and "you got a good deal." Again, not begrudging you for that.

You have to take the bad with the good, and as such, if you make a potentially poor purchase (especially if you trumpet it before it arrives), you will likely have to read multiple comments like have been posted here. It's not what you want to hear, but like I said - you can't have the sweet with no sour.

Besides, you saying in your OP "As long as your (sic) smart about your purchases you have nothing ro (sic) worry about" set the precedent for any condescending comments, so I really can't see what you're so upset about - certainly not anything that warranted you lashing out, calling people stuck-up bully victims.

Echoing the sentiments of others, I hope that whatever happens you get a satisfactory resolution out of it.

Good deals can be got , provided bidding is not in a state of frenzy. In which case, even as used item can sell for more than a new one. Bidding seems to bring about a competitive drive to attain what others are after. Then all sense of reason goes by the wayside.

e.g.

New unopened Dior Homme sport (new version ) sold for $72.95......Used Dior Homme sport tester (new version) sold for $81.95.....both items were on same page.

just one example out of many ....
    Chic is all about humor. Which means chic is about intelligence. And there has to be oddness-- most luxury is conformist, and chic cannot be. Chic must be polite and not incommode others, but within that it can be as weird as it wants. - LT

I've gotten some terrific deals. I've never gotten a fake, because I'm usually good at scrutinizing a potential purchase, but I have bought a couple of losers. One was simply overlooking details in a few photos, but the seller was very good about a partial refund.

I've been looking for a reasonably priced pre-formulation DH, but haven't been able to find one yet. As for DHI, I'd be VERY leery of any cheaply priced vintage version, unless the seller doesn't know what they have and it's just something you spot in a low resolution photo or know what to look for on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by dnc View Post
    Apologies for drifting off topic...........caferacer, my friend has a project ongoing at the moment to build his cafe racer (from a Ducatti I believe). I had never heard of cafe racers prior to this and they do look v cool. I assume yours is a Norton?
    Used to have Norton and I'm currently trying to get my hands on another. My current (and only) bike at the moment is a cafe'd Kawi W650. Would love to see a pic of your buddy's Duc when he's done with it!

I received the DHI yesterday and its a legit tester smells great seller said I can get a better price on it if I want to buy another!
    Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    I've gotten some terrific deals. I've never gotten a fake, because I'm usually good at scrutinizing a potential purchase, but I have bought a couple of losers. One was simply overlooking details in a few photos, but the seller was very good about a partial refund.

I've been looking for a reasonably priced pre-formulation DH, but haven't been able to find one yet. As for DHI, I'd be VERY leery of any cheaply priced vintage version, unless the seller doesn't know what they have and it's just something you spot in a low resolution photo or know what to look for on the box.

I received the DHI yesterday and its a legit tester smells great seller said I can get a better price on it if I want to buy another!
    I would hope so, seeing as how you can get a BNIB (non-tester) 3.4oz DHI directly from the Dior Boutique for $72.

I've been burned a couple of times...out of maybe 500 purchases. Look closely at feedback, make sure they have thousands of feedback, make sure they are a Top Rated seller, and see from feedback if they've been accused of fakes. It's not that hard. And crazy low prices on new items are a tip off, but usually it's the really popular scents that get faked.