Code of Conduct

Default Suggest new niche house

Hi, all. I am a huge Serge Lutens fan and almost own all of them. I am looking for a new niche house to get into. I love strong two-spray perfumes. My favorite notes are iris, rose, and florals. So, do you have any suggestions? I also own most of the MFK perfumes so it's a wrap on that. Oh, it took about 10 years to build my collections.

Default Re: Suggest new niche house

Amouage if you want strong. Some stand out florals would be Gold and Lyric. Womens range is also apparently very good.

I just bought Lyric and waiting for it to be shipped. I am very interested in this house.

Have you tried any from the Dior Privee Collection? Leather Oud, Oud Isaphan, and Eau Noire are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by joev View Post
    I just bought Lyric and waiting for it to be shipped. I am very interested in this house.
    It is a superb line. Epic Man and Jubilation XXV are to die for IMO

Amouage was the 1st that came to my mind also.

You should also explore by Kilian and Tom Ford (I know - not niche).

What's Epic like?

Congrats on the Lutens ownership, that is quite some collection. What are the highlights for you?

I have AS, FenA, MKK, FT and decants of TC and Chene. Love 'em all and want to try ISM.

I have the original hedi slimane Eau Noire and Bois de Argent. Love but haven't sat down with the line.

Epic is an incredible woody spicy fragrance with great (Epic!!) longevity. Very dry, which I love, without being a powder bomb. Nothing floral about it. Take a look at reviews on here and Fragrantica, much more eloquent and detailed.

Agree with Dougczar re Tom Ford, some greats there. By Killian is also very highly rated, though I have tried only 3 or 4 of these (v nice).

Amouage is a great house and my favorite. I currently own 18 from them. If you're in the US I would suggest ordering samples from Parfumsraffy.com. My top favorites are Epic Man, Gold Man, and Tribute attar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    Amouage is a great house and my favorite. I currently own 18 from them. If you're in the US I would suggest ordering samples from Parfumsraffy.com. My top favorites are Epic Man, Gold Man, and Tribute attar.
    Have you tried Gold in the summer (we're talking UK summer here)? Blossoms beautifully (1 spray only as always). I was shocked as I only ever wore it in cold weather previously. Good to see it getting some love. Seems more popular these days, or am I imagining things?

My favorite Lutens that stick out to me are the ones that are half gone. Those would be FT, ISM, la Fille de Berlin rose de Nuit, Santal majuscule, the entire Bois series which is like Valium, nombre noir.

Gold sounds opulent!

I hate to always come off as a fanboy, but if you want powerful fragrances to collect, I suggest Slumberhouse. Jeke, Norne, and Sova would all be up your alley if you like Lutens.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by dnc View Post
    Have you tried Gold in the summer (we're talking UK summer here)? Blossoms beautifully (1 spray only as always). I was shocked as I only ever wore it in cold weather previously. Good to see it getting some love. Seems more popular these days, or am I imagining things?
    I've worn it a lot during the summer and it worked great. I work in an office but I have worn it out in 100F weather.

The discountied Gentlemen's Cologne and EDT are also great if you like Gold Man.

Blog Entries

Profumum are beautiful and very strong. Also Mazzolari. Parfumerie Generale have some beauties, too.

Gold sounds opulent!
    Oh yes! Many people get a strong 'baby powder' vibe; fortunately for me this is only borderlinefleeting and I enjoy Gold very much. It did take maybe 2 years to properly appreciate it and to brave wearing it in public lol. I don't know the Lutens line except the ones I listed, but I would guess there is nothing too similar to Gold in it.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I hate to always come off as a fanboy, but if you want powerful fragrances to collect, I suggest Slumberhouse. Jeke, Norne, and Sova would all be up your alley if you like Lutens.
    These do sound good, but don't know how easy it is to get hold of them in the UK. Nothing wrong with being a fanboy when the product is excellent - just don't mention J**h by name though

Edit - I see Roullier White stock them, happy days
    Last edited by dnc; 5th January 2014 at 12:20 AM.

Parfumerie Generale.

Is Amouage a French house? Who is the nose and the creative director?

Amouage is based in Oman IIRC.

Noses vary and Christopher Chong is the creative director.

From Oman. Creative director's name is Christopher Chong.

Edit: too slow.

Laurent Mazzone LM Parfums

(2619)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Amouage for sure. Slumberhouse ha some interesting fragrances including Norne.

Basenotes Plus

O'Driu

Profumum Roma!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I have a lot of sampling to do. Slumber house and Amouge are at the top of my list.

For instance Hilde Soliani Parfums, Mendittorosa, Masque Milano, Perris Montecarlo, A Lab on Fire, Thameen Fragrances.

Krigler
    Mazzolari
    Mark Birley

Krigler
    Mazzolari
    Mark Birley
    Divine
    Detaille

I tried a lot of the Amouge and just couldn't get into them. I hope Lyric is different!

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Profumum Roma!
    This one for sure. Not clear how the House of Guerlain is defined (i.e., niche vs. designer), but you owe it to yourself to explore that line also. It's been making first-class fragrances for almost 200 years.
    Last edited by cologne connoisseur; 5th January 2014 at 09:43 PM.

I am going to suggest two lines:

Prada - the numbered pure parfums. They come in 30 ml splash bottles and can only be found in selected Prada boutiques.

Roja Dove. Be sure to check out both the male and female ones.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Parfums d Empire is a house worth trying and their offerings are inexpensive.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Amouage
    Montale
    Parfumerie Generale

Do not go far, either Montale or L'Artisan
    they are easier on your pocket in case you decided to buy the entire line

based on your preference for:

strong - Tom Ford, Montale, Amouage
    floral - Frederic Malle, ByKilian
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

For me, I always recommend Histoires de Parfums and Parfums d'Empire.. These are relatively inexpensive, under $150, and have great longevity and sillage. They are all in eau de parfum and are, IMO, quite strong..

For HdP ($125 for 60 ml):

1740 Marquis de Sade (patchouli, immortelle, vanilla and leather. I get a plum note.)
    1889 Moulin Rouge (spices, absinthe, patchouli, rose, leather), I get compliments on this one.
    1876 Mata Hari (unisex rose, carnation, vetiver, sandalwood, must vanilla)
    Patchouli Noir (patchouli, leather, spices, leather, vanilla)

For PdE ($110 for 100 ml):

Ambre Russe (boozy amber, tea, leather)
    Cuir Ottoman (iris, leather, benzoin)
    Last edited by Primrose; 6th January 2014 at 06:16 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

MFK
    Amouage

Creed. Not the strongest, but a great house nontheless!

Paris perfume house of "PHAEDON"
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Creed, Le Labo, Montale, Frederic Malle, Dior Exclusives line (arguably niche)
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Perhaps the florals of ADP (iris, jasmine), as well as the translucent, airy, almost borderline smart-casual citrus-florals of Rance 1795 could be added to the already very stylish but also very diverse suggestions so far.

Ken, what's ADP? You have peeked my interest.

While Lutens don't strike me as strong as others out there (with good reason), I'd ask which Lutens you enjoy as that line is fairly expansive. The closest analogue is probably the aforementioned Parfumerie Generale, but they're not insanely strong scents either. Slumberhouse and Amouage are both 1/2 spray bottles for me in general, whereas I can hit it a little harder with the PG and the Lutens. You might be interested in Etat Libre d'Orange, too. They're pretty irreverent in their marketing, but their scents are relatively straight-laced. Something like Rien ("nothing") for example, is possible one of the strongest perfumes on the market today. 1/4 spray is pushing it with that one!

A few others that, while ultimately doing their own thing, could draw some parallels to Lutens and Sheldrake.

A Lab on Fire
    Vero Profumo
    O'Dri˙
    Puredistance
    Comme des Garcon (designer, technically)
    Fueguia 1833
    Profumum
    Nasomatto
    Olivier Durbano

Last, look into Lush (yes, that Lush). Total niche perfumery, readily available in malls. Experimental, idiosyncratic and unique scents, blended using seriously top-shelf naturals and synths, many of which can be had for as little as $15. Breath of God, Dirty, Lust, Hellstone, Smell of Freedom, Ginger, Sikkim Girls, The Bug are all absolutely worth investigation.
    Last edited by deadidol; 7th January 2014 at 12:28 AM.

ADP= The Italian house of Acqua di Parma, a well established and respected firm with many notable fragrances. Well worth your exploring. I believe Ken is referring to the line labelled "Nobile".
    Last edited by cologne connoisseur; 7th January 2014 at 12:22 AM.