Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    bleu autumn haze

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2014

I'm wearing Unknown Pleasures by Kerosene (2013) today. This is such a great gourmand ... warm, inviting and not TOO sweet. Just cozy and nice for a cold winter day.

notes: Earl Grey tea, lemon, bergamot, honeycomb, tonka bean, caramel, vanilla, waffle cone
    I've trademarked the color bleu

For some of you experienced snifters -- Help!

What is a skin scent? Is it a scent you can only smell when you get your nose right up on your (or someone elses) skin?
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Speaking for myself- I'm suspicious of this advertising jargon. Code for. 'Don't expect to smell much of anything'.

queen of the universe

Great list, Betsy,

when my nose unstuffs I'll have to join in!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

queen of the universe

Thanks to our dear Schilling, I will be sampling a new-to-me Bond to be named later (:
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

The sample I'm wearing today I've worn only once before, so still fairly new to me...Jeke by Slumberhouse. I think it's an appropriate selection on this 20 degree morning in Texas. I look forward to that bonfire scent all day.

Today I am sampling Lonestar Memories by Tauer Perfumes. I just got it as a sample with an order that came in the mail yesterday, so it is a true blind sample. So far I am enjoying the soft powdery/smokey leather, and it really does make me think of my childhood (I grew up in Texas) and spending time with my my uncle. I'm very happy with this one!

Sampling Penhaligon's Opus 1870.

Synching with Elle L'aime Eau de Perfume by Lolita Lempicka.

In my effort to not be a snob over the newer fragrances that are meant to appeal to younger fragranistas and to explore niche brands I never heard of I am determined to try new samples instead of wearing the same things over and over.

I closed my eyes and went in a tote that contains all my samples. Out came Elle L'aime Eau de Perfume by Lolita Lempicka. Since I'm trying to try new things I went with it.

I smell like a cross between an artificial flower scent and a fruit salad. I'm sure this smells lovely on someone else but on me it isn't working. Later today I think I'll take a shower and go pick another sample. In the meantime I'm home today and this will work for my grocery shopping trip and stop by the liquor store.
    Betsy
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Penhaligon's - Zizonia
    From a new sample, from a new friend.
    ​Powder puff!

I like this one! Betsy I am having tech problems so I can't quote you, but yes, you correctly describe the meaning of skin scent as I understand it. It wears close to the skin with little or no projection, but it is there.

So, samples. I love samples. I am trying Ormond Jayne Oris Noir, blind plucked this moment from my newly acquired Discovery set. First impressions are very good indeed.

Don't you love it when a sample works? I found Chloe Roses de Chloe that way and also Illuminum's Rose Oud. I never would have tried either one of these if I hasn't gotten the samples. Usually I try my samples just before I shower on case I don't like them. But then you find one that's wonderful on you and you just have to have a full bottle.

By the way, my husband just told me I smell like a cantalope. Time to shower!
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Thanks for an interesting thread, BetsyMezaros. I grab my long-avoided sample of Guerlain's Jicky, mindful that this is the current version, not vintage. First sniff from vial: strong citrus, then comes something else oddly pleasant. On paper: Well, it's definitely itself. A fresh, still pleasant and surely unique scent at the time. Not certain it's for me, but trying it on skin: I'm smelling the florals, now, maybe violets, possibly sandalwood in the base. Lots of other things. Perhaps amber. From Basenotes: Top: Lemon, Madndarin, Bergamot, Rosewood. Mid: Orris, Jasmine, Patchouli, Rose, Vetiver. Base: Leather, Amber, Civet, Tonka, Incense.

Not sandalwood, patchouli? Fragrantica says sandalwood is there. In any case, perfect time to open my new orris butter sample. Sniff. Yep, that's the odd note I couldn't identify and online they say it smells a bit like violets. It masked the jasmine for me, but now I smell it. This is an interesting perfume, but kind of "almost" great. Makes me want to sample the vintage.

p.s. It gets better over time.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 24th January 2014 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Speaking for myself- I'm suspicious of this advertising jargon. Code for. 'Don't expect to smell much of anything'.
    Ditto! If we didn't want to smell anything, we could save our money and just not buy scents. Perhaps it's really a money-making scam to water down perfumes and and still have us buy them. Kind of like the shampoo gimmick: wash, rinse, repeat.

Just went in my sample bag again blind and out comes Tom Ford Neroli Portofino. This is my first experience with Tom Ford. I think this is a well crafted unisex fragrance. I like it very much but not enough to purchase. Will just enjoy the sample when I need a change.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

A sample which must have come with an order for the sync: Burberry Brit Sheer. This really is like a skin scent, nice but much lacking in sillage and longevity, so it will not offend anyone. Good for offices I guess, but too shy for me.

Basenotes Plus

Joining late- had a headache earlier due to all the dust and winds we had today (very unusual) so no perfume until evening

Grabbed something which turned out to be Nez A Nez Ambre a Sade.
    It's suede-ish in feel, but a little sweet for my taste in the top. Waiting for the drydown for a thumbs up or down.

Love these syncs

much later- thumbs down. good quality but notes are just offputting for me. strawberry jam note lasts through the whole development.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 25th January 2014 at 07:01 AM.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

bleu autumn haze

I'm wearing Hypnotic Poison today for the first time. I believe it is the extrait version ... Thank you kalli for the sample! It's sort of hard to believe that I've not sampled anything from the Hypnotic Poison line before, but I guess I never got around to it. I found it just ok, a little on the powder-y side but I received three separate and random compliments so it must wear well on me. Funny how that works sometimes ...

Basenotes Plus

Second random sample is Tipsy Social Blah Blah (2012) by Brent Leonisio at smell bent.
    A little booze, a little cold ashes- absolutely unisex.
    A Scent Rescuer

Thank you, Betsy!

I tried a sample i received from a purchase of La Vie Est Belle. Not impressed.

I will stick to Lancome's Cuir de Lancome and Sagamore, and the old rose Tresor.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Love that picture Kumquat.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Basenotes Plus

house of Guerlain tomorrow! yeaaaaaaaah BABY
    A Scent Rescuer

Guerlain 180 Ans de Création
    DONNA

Such a difficult choice this morning, but I chose to finish up my decant of L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme Pour Homme because I just bought a full bottle to replace it last night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, Guerlain is my most-worn house of all times. So many fantastic choices...

Today, I decided to go for my samples instead of the well-known and much-worn bottles. Couldn't resist doubling the fun: in the morning I was enjoying Heritage and now I am wearing Habit Rouge. I am afraid Habit Rouge will have to go on my wish list...

I know this is an old chestnut for many of you but I only have a small miniature bottle and seldom wear it. Since today also starts the lunar/Chinese New Year I have selected Mitsouko.

Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

In sync wearing ''Insolence'', from a sample given to me by a basenoter. (At the meet up in New Orleans, I got so many samples!)
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Guerlain-Sous les Vent
    ​Reminiscent of May wine. Hurry up, Spring!

Delighted to be in synch today "by accident", wearing
    Mon Précieux Nectar. Guerlain is my most frequently worn house.

Kumquat, funny, today it's suddenly full spring weather in Dallas, super warm!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Insolence, but I've been wearing it all week. So sweet in the cold.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Kumquat, funny, today it's suddenly full spring weather in Dallas, super warm!
    We are jealous! I don't mind the snow but these short days are getting to me.

bleu autumn haze

It was a hard choice, but in the end I went with L'Heure de Nuit. I want a bottle of this sooooo bad ... I really like heliotrope used in fragrance, but LJdN takes heliotrope to a new level. Here, the heliotrope is shimmery and radiant ... I totally love it!

notes: Orange Blossom, Iris, Heliotrope, Jasmine, Rose, White Musk, Sandalwood

Basenotes Plus

The floral velvet powder puff that is Chant D'aromes for me today
    A Scent Rescuer

I have to say I didn't like Insolence at all, it is good, but not for me. It wore off and I sprayed Chamade. Oh yes! This is much more me! I am afraid I will have to have this one day!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I just looking through some random samples and decants, when I came across Guerlain Vetiver and Mitsouko. I was thinking about how even though these are "classic fragrances" that were originally created for a different era (1961 and 1919 respectively), but they are still relevant today (and smell fantastic). Then I saw an ad for Mad Men and couldn't help but to think Don Draper could have worn Vetiver himself. It got me thinking about another idea for a Synchronized Friday theme...a fragrance that is inspired by (or could be worn by a character in) your favorite TV show, movie, or book.

Laaaaaate sync Shalimar edt -closest Guerlain at hand .MMMmmm lemony,creammy,spicy-herballyness and dry vanilla.
    Sync inspired by a Tv show,book,movie or song would be nice.
    I was wearing Jovan musk earlier and then forgot I was wearing anything and sprayed Cacique edp and Sheer Lace on either wrist to demo them for a customer at work.(similar to Euphoria and one of the Coach poppy type scents as far as scent goes )worn off now ummm 7hrs later.
    Rearranged(moving furniture) in my room and then diid a 6.5 hr work shift. tuckered out .night all.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Hi Everyone!

If anybody has suggests we still have spaces in the list so please let me know if you have any ideas.

I notice lots of people are synching and posting to the SOTD. As long as people are synching the list is worthwhile regardless of where we post.

The list makes me think and try new things. Left to my own devices I would just grab the Shalimar and go. Now I reach to the back of the shelf at least once a week.
    Last edited by BetsyMeszaros; 1st February 2014 at 09:37 PM.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Do you have a 'nostalgic' one. Maybe one that brings memories of a family member or a special event?

or one that reminds you of your favorite color or artwork?

Bookwyrmsmith, what a great idea. "A fragrance that is inspired by (or could be worn by a character in) your favorite TV show, movie, or book" has been added to the list. See July.

Kumquat, there is one in May for something that reminds you of your mother, sister or aunt. However, there is nothing for an event. I'll go back and add that one.

Personally, I can't wait to hear the stories that are going to come out of this weeks scent on Friday.
    Last edited by BetsyMeszaros; 1st February 2014 at 09:43 PM.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Basenotes Plus

I'd like to suggest we dedicate a days to a specific perfumer.
    A Scent Rescuer

There is a day for your to wear your favorite perfumer.

I've been thinking about a day for a specific perfumer and trying to look around to find one or two (or three) that have created a wide variety of scents so everyone can participate. Does anybody have a name or names for consideration? Knit at Nite did you have someone in mind?
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Going to sign off and take a nap. Having a little pain from a tooth right now.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Basenotes Plus

Have a good nap! Feel better!

Noses with larger bodies of work- most would likely have a bottle or sample of one of these folks creations (IMO)
    Anne Flipo
    Annick Menardo
    Aurelien Guichard
    Maurice Roucel
    Olivier Cresp
    Olivier Polge
    Bertrand Duchaufour
    Thierry Wasser
    Sophie Labbe
    Sophia Grojsman
    Carlos Benaim
    Christine Nagel
    Sheldrake
    Dominique Ropion
    Francois Demachy
    A Scent Rescuer

Thanks for the suggestions Knit-At-Night. (By the way I love your avatar picture.) Will go through them and will also see if someone has suggestions I may have missed in the next couple of days. Still having a dental problem this morning and can't seem to concentrate. Forgive me for not being engaged everyone.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Basenotes Plus

no worries! feel better.
    A Scent Rescuer

Basenotes Plus

Get well soon!

Get well, Betsy! You are doing a fantastic job, I am enjoying our syncs a lot. Thank you!

Hmm scent that reminds you of an old flame ....thinking........................thinking...... ....................... Well there's going Extremely literal =Flambeau.Or sorta literal Rumba by Balenciaga,or LM Marrons Glacces each have a snuffed candle note to my nose .In refernce to my past love life though -well I haven't one .So I guess that means TM Innocent ,or Dreams by Tabu,The Dreamer or Babe or Love's Baby Soft for my other options.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Not joining today. One I rarely think of old flames(they burnt away long ago), none ever bought me fragrance anyway. Well one did and it was Samsara which I cannot stand, he was suppose to get Shalimar but I wore it long before him.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Not joining today. One I rarely think of old flames(they burnt away long ago), none ever bought me fragrance anyway. Well one did and it was Samsara which I cannot stand, he was suppose to get Shalimar but I wore it long before him.
    I'd wear Shalimar today just for spite.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I'm wearing vintage My Sin by Lanvin. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    That's the spirit!

Synching with all three fragrances today.

SotM: Dolce Vita (first love)
    SotD: Fahrenheit (Mr Crazy)
    SotE: Givenchy Gentleman (Mr Perfect)

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane Betsy!
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Betsy, you're making me really curious!
    Love the add with the black cat, btw.

I was late getting into fragrances so there are not many which remind me of old flames. Ex-husband would be Tresor or L'eau par Kenzo. The biggest crush of my life Enternity Moment and another, much less serious one Armani She.

I don't own any of these scents anymore so I had a hard time finding something for this sync.

I am wearing Pleasures Intense. I tried and enjoyed Pleasures while still with my ex-husband. Later in the day I will be wearing Shalimar - tried it for the first time while with the ex and hated it. Hard to imagine now that there was a time when I did not adore Shalimar.

Today I'm syncing with Dune by Christian Dior. I wore this a lot when it first came out and really haven't worn it since. I picked up a bottle recently, and it immediately transported me to the summer of 1997. My girlfriend and I had just graduated from high school, but we were going to different colleges. She said that the fragrance reminded her of me, so I gave her a sample/decant to take with her. As expected, we broke up shortly afterwards, but the fragrance still reminds me of that time.

Blog Entries

Emeraude was the first scent I wore and is one I associate with an old beau.

Paco Rabanne pour homme. My husband's cologne. I don't have an old flame, I have only my husband: the Q. And he wears nothing but Paco Rabanne, (''subtle and light cologne'') And it took 4 years for us to really be together, and I always had a purse spray and I would spray it on my cushion or just spray it to feel hem close to me.
    Internet, skype etc. helps a lot too when you are apart, we talked all day, every day, but still...
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I miss the ''opposite gender'' sync, I though that was great fun!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Or we could do a unisex perfume synch... I consider my adored Balmain de Balmain unisex. Actually I like slightly ''masculine'' fragrances, That's why I don't mind wearing Paco Rabanne, and why I love wearing Encre Noir.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    I *love* a good spite-synch! Just last week I almost did a spite-synch -- the synch was Guerlain, and because I had one experience with a nasty SA at a Guerlain store I was going to wear something from Etat Libre d'Orange or Comme des Garçons. Just the *furthest* from Guerlain you could get. Ha! That'd show her!

In the end I had such a crazy day I wound up wearing nothing; but it was fun to think about.

This week, I'm unsynched -- like some of you, I didn't used to wear fragrance, so I don't have any old-flame associations. I hope you don't mind me checking in, though. It's fun to see what everyone's up to.