Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    summer means fireflys

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2014

I'm wearing Jaipur Homme today. awww memories ...

I've trademarked the color bleu

This week's synch would be Zino by Davidoff, I tested it again some days earlier - somehow it seemed different.
    For last week"s synch I was wearing Mitsouko, but I was unwell and could not appreciate it as much as I normally would have.Too bad.

I ended up wearing Faberge Babe.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Tomorrow I will be wearing La Perla, by La Perla. Rose chypre
    And SotE will be L'Arte di Gucci, by Gucci, heavy rose chypre, and a present from my dreamrabbit
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I can't imagine anything more appropriate for today than Noir de Noir by Tom Ford. It's rose notes and chocolate and red wine accords make it perfect for Valentine's Day. It's too bad my wife has to work tonight, but the kids and I will be surprising her with dinner and flowers.

Basenotes Plus

my poor optometrist. he hates perfume, but too bad. He will have to sniff my rose scented self tomorrow while he peers deep into my eyes with his dang light. LOL
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Caron Rose now sadly discontinued.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    my poor optometrist. he hates perfume, but too bad. He will have to sniff my rose scented self tomorrow while he peers deep into my eyes with his dang light. LOL
    Tee Hee. Several sprays will be required.

I am reeking to the high heavens. Ponging. Synched to the MAX. High volume, knock 'em dead, roses. I had the luxury of a slow morning so I took a coffee and my laptop back to bed. On the way I had a spray of Frederic Malle's Une Rose, Perfumers Workshop Tea Rose, Ramon Monegal's L'Eau de Rose, and a sniff of Armani Rose D'Arabie. Mmmmmmh hmmmm, all of them! I could make grown men cry. I smell glorious.

Now I'm going to take a shower and decide which will be my synching scent of the day! See you later.

Foustie, love your attitude this morning. Let us know which one you decide on for the day.

I'm wearing Chloe Roses de Chloe which I just discovered while at Sniffapalooza and I got a sample. This is a most underrated rose scent.

Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I'm now in Histoires de Parfums 1876, (Mata Hari). I haven't worn this in ages. I'm enjoying it.

Blog Entries

Profumum-
    Rosae Mundi!

I changed my mind from last night, I am in sync and superlatively rosy in Houbigant's vintage Tea Rose, it's a very good tea rose, (not in the directory). It's amazing, like I have a tea rose tied to my nose! Now it's drying down I am getting a bit of orange, some spicyness and powder with the roses, very, very rosy.

''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Une Rose, bien sûr!

After riding my horse and having my tea rose drowned in ''Ea de Cheval'' I showered and am in La Perla for the afternoon.
    Dusky rose chypre.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus

Rose Praline... Les Parfums de Rosine
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Finishing up this Valentine's Day with another favorite rose scent...Cartier Declaration d'Un Soir.

For the synch I had Trésor Midnight Rose by Lancome, sounds intriguing (on the box: cassis malicieux - mischievous blackcurrant, rose gourmande - sweet rose and bois mystérieux - mysterious wood) but is more or less a cassis/raspberry scent with little rose (and what about the MYSTERIOUS wood??) which manages however to carry one through a hard day with a smile.

Betsy, you got me interested in Chloe Roses de Chloe. I have to try it next time I'm downtown.

Kumquat, I really like the pics.

Nice nostalgic pic, FrouFrou.
    Last edited by citypark; 15th February 2014 at 09:14 AM.

city park, '' what about the MYSTERIOUS wood??'' Lol! it sounded very good, pity the mysterious woods didn't come out.

I did wear de L'Arte di Gucci in the evening. In copious amounts, and got no grumblings from the dreamrabbit, but that might be the forbearance due to valentine.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Thanks, Citypark, ​that's the Bavarian Rose Festival.

A True Confession

Citypark it may disappoint you.

When I was at Sniffapalooza last fall I got several samples of Chloe Roses de Chloe. I immediately fell in love and have since run around telling everyone that would listen how wonderful and underrated this was. I ordered a big bottle and saved it for last Synchronized Friday when the note was rose. The bottle doesn't smell the same to me as the sample. I re-tried the sample. They are very very close and probably the same. None the less, my love affair with this scent is over. What happened???? I have been on an anti-biotic and it has been messing with my taste so probably messed with my sense of smell also. Will try this again in a few weeks. It's hard to imagine doing such a 180 degree turn on something that fast.

Today I'm wearing Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose. It smells as wonderful as always.
    Last edited by BetsyMeszaros; 16th February 2014 at 06:20 PM.
    Betsy
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Betsy, medication can really change our sense of smell and it can change our natural skin smell as well, so maybe the Chloé will smell differently again for you in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by citypark View Post
    Betsy, medication can really change our sense of smell and it can change our natural skin smell as well, so maybe the Chloé will smell differently again for you in the future.
    I sure hope so Citypark.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Well for me,it has to be Daim Blond. When it first came out I got a sample and all I got was apricot jam!!!! People talked about the suede etc but my dry down was pure apricot jam. Move forward about 4 years ago, I was in House of Fraser with friends and on a whim sprayed Daim Blond on my hand. Holy crap Batman, it was just gorgeous! No idea what happen? Did my skin chemistry change? Had it been reformulated? Who knows, I just had to buy it.
    DONNA

Aedes Iris Nazarena - weirdly interesting and took a few wears to appreciate.

Basenotes Plus

For sync Friday I chose Estee Lauder Knowing. I bought this when it first came out and it wasn't a blind buy I'd tried it several times in the store and thought I liked it but I ended up hating it when I wore it and so did my husband. So I ended up giving it away to a thrift store. Tried it again a couple of years ago and now it's among my favorites.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 21st February 2014 at 03:22 PM.

Today I am synching with Guerlain's Habit Rough EDP. When I first smelled the tester at Sak's, I was disgusted! I thought it was a cloying powder bomb that churned my stomach. After repeated testings and sampling the different concentrations, I have grown to love it and even picked up a bottle of the EDP (which is richer and has a lot of oud). Unfortunately it's still not a crowd pleaser (one of my colleagues last time I wore it said that I smelled like a funeral), but I don't really care what others think. It's a masterpiece in my opinion!

When passing through Lord and Taylor one day I picked up Chanel Coco and gave it a try. It was so revolting when I got to the restaurant where we were having lunch I went immediately to the ladies room and washed my hands and wrist 3 times to get rid of this awful concoction. One day last fall I was in the city and stopped by the Macy''s Chanel counter. Forgetting I had already tried it, I sprayed some Coco on my wrist and immediately fell in love and bought it on the spot. I definitely think this is a bad girls perfume right up there with Shalimar --- and I mean that in a good way.

Last edited by BetsyMeszaros; 21st February 2014 at 01:19 PM.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I will have to pass today... I have been all through my wardrobe but I have never come to love a scent i hated on first sniff...
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

One I disliked and then loved. That would be
    Lutens- Iris Silver Mist!
    A sensuous but difficult fragrance. Highly recommended.
    If at first you don't approve, try, try again. It grows on you and
    transports you to a wet, foggy day.

Last edited by kumquat; 21st February 2014 at 03:36 PM.

Paloma Picasso edp
    It was not really hate, but when I first tried Paloma Picasso by Paloma Picasso, I didn't like it, it was too much, too dark for me. Generally, I thought the whole chypre genre was not for me, I loved orientals; now I love chypres (along with orientals) like L'Arte or Nicki de Saint Phalle.
    Chypres are wonderful green and dark and they give me strength and vigour and make me feel great.

Hello everyone. Mine would be VC&A First. I didn;t hate it but when i first tried it it didn'y do anything for me. It just wasn'y my style. Then various friends sent me little bits and pieces of it, and I read a lot of very postive things about it too. When I tried it again with an open mind, I realised it's beauty. I have been privileged today to have been wearing the Extrait, thanks to a Basenotes friend.

My SOTE (Tabarome Millesime by Creed) also fits today's theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please take a look at the Synchronized list. If there is anything in there you think isn't doable or won't be popular please let me know.

One that I question is:

17/10/2014 Houbigant, Coty, Rocher, Caron or Weil

It seems very disjointed to me.

Knit At Nite I have added four of the perfumers you suggested putting two on each day. They were chosen randomly from your list.

The days with a particular House or note seems to be the most popular. The most unpopular ones were "something you received as a gift" and "something that reminds you of an old flame". Won't be using those two again anytime soon.

Suggestions welcome.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I don't like that sniff either. I always liked the ''decade'' thing. Thank you for all the work you are doing to keep the synchronized Fridays going.
    How about ''Your favorite seduction frag'' Although that will be problematic for going to work maybe.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I think it's a great list. Sure there are some weeks that don't really work for me. However, I'm betting someone else looks forward to those weeks with great anticipation. I know I'll enjoy reading about what people choose, and will perhaps be inspired to try something new.

I agree that the ones I most enjoy, even in anticipation, are those featuring a particular note or house.

Agree - great stuff, Betsy

Hi there, Betsy!

I wanted to add my thanks for picking this up - you're doing a great job! I've been enjoying reading about everyone's choices, but I haven't been playing along for quite some time since I play tennis on Fridays and I'm pretty particular about what I like to wear on the court. But I'm so pleased to see that y'all are doing Estée Lauder this week, and that'll be a breeze for me - I've got *two* from Estée that are on-court favorites! I don't know which it'll be yet, but I'm looking forward to joining in the fun on Friday.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

It's funny, I guess none of us wants to be reminded of old flames much. And the perfume I wore (what little there was) wasn't the best.

Are the perfumers all taken? Something from Pierre Balmain would be nice.

summer means fireflys

You are doing a great job, Betsy!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Thanks, Citypark, ​that's the Bavarian Rose Festival.
    Certainly not Bavarian, but rather Bulgarian.
    Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume.
    - Jean de Boufflers

Well since I only own one Estee Lauder Private Collection that will be mine on the 27th
    DONNA

Thank you all so much for your encouragement. It is appreciated more then you know.

Kumquat, House of Pierre Balmain has been added. I paired it with House of Lanvin. I hope that's okay.

FrouFrou, "Favorite Seduction Fragrance" has also been added.

Must go put on my latest buy and try it out again today. It was Mahora. I'm on a tuberose kick right now. My current favorite seems to be the one I just bought until it isn't anymore. Then it's back to Shalimar. Love Basenotes because it has taught me there is life beyond Guerlain and Chanel. (Says she that purchased another Guerlain).

Betsy
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

I like the favorite 'seduction' idea. Is there one to represent ' your choice of flower, herb or grass'?

There are only 3 spaces left to fill.

Does chypre cover herb and grass? I was thinking of adding Iris Note because lots of basenoters seem to like iris. Maybe your favorite flower would be better? Or one with blue/lavender/purple flower?

Must go for awhile and actually do some housework which I have not done all week. Such a boring drudge. We are expecting more snow. I am so over it.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

I was thinking it could cover Vetyver, and any herb or flower as a feature.

I adore Iris. Vetyer I do not do(unless its a base note and beaten down by other notes), it turns *bog body on me

* You know those bodies they find buried in bogs, well I imagine them as damp and gassy bog smelling. LOL
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I adore Iris. Vetyer I do not do(unless its a base note and beaten down by other notes), it turns *bog body on me

* You know those bodies they find buried in bogs, well I imagine them as damp and gassy bog smelling. LOL
    Ha Ha Donna. Great name/concept for a fragrance," Piltdown Man". Tee hee.

As I don't have any Estée Lauder perfume right now, I tested several this week when I had the chance. My favourites are: Sensous Noir - dark fruity and spicy, Cinnabar - oriental spicy and Knowing - chypre. It would be difficult to decide between them.

Today's synch is great. The house of Estee Lauder. The thing is that I have a real crush on the house of Estee Lauder at the moment.

I have had Estee Lauder fragrances over the years. My sister wore Cinnabar a lot for years after it was launched. Then for many years, I bought Estee Lauder cosmetics but the fragrances didn't really interest me much. I have now discovered, and rediscovered, some fantastic fragrances from this house. Shall I tell you about them?

Ages ago, either my lovely Perfumed Lady or my lovely Lillybelle sent me some Azurée. It wasn't widely available outside USA. I loved it. Then recently I swung by Estee lauder and I discovered.......

Wood Mystique, a new launch (here anyway). Its the Estee Lauder Oud. It is really luxurious, rich, very woody, good dry woods. Really terrific quality for the price, as is typical of Estee Lauder.
    Amber Mystique, equally luxurious, a partner to Wood Mystique, more fruity. Lovely too but I prefer the wood.

Then ta dah! I noticed that they also had;
    Azurée. A wonderful very dry chypre with a real tart "twang". I love it.

and, I also discovered
    Private Collection. Phew. This is something isn't it? It's wonderful! have seen it mentioned in SOTD over the years.This is a very confident fragrance. It is a delightful surprise to discover that this is extant, and that it smells as it does. Again it's fantastic quality, and inexpensive.

All of that said, I don't own any of these .....yet! But thanks to the Friday synch for reminding me that I should!!

In Beautiful today.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Wonderful, thoughtful post Foustie, as always. You've picked some real winners, too - I adore Azurée, as well as Private Collection, which has always reminded me of a more opulent and glamorous Vent Vert, like Vent Vert Pour Le Soir, if you will.

I'd be in Azurée today had I not recently found some very well-kept new-old-stock of Aliage, vintage-70s "Sport Fragrance Spray" ...which roughly translated must mean "The *Strongest* Perfume In The World" ...lol! Y'all know Estée; she just doesn't really "do" subtle.

Seriously though, I really can't wear a lot of it - just a spritz at my torso and one shared between my wrists is all it takes, and I always need to be mindful of that when I'm choosing something from Estée for sports ...not like Cristalle Eau Verte or Bel Respiro; I really tend to be *lavish* with my "Tennis Chanels," hehe. Anyway, Aliage is at once a bright and refreshing and bracing "cologne" on top of a bitter green, deeply herbal and mossy chypre ...impeccable and chic and completely unisex.

Last edited by Evangeline; 28th February 2014 at 12:30 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Happy Friday!

Today's sync is Beyond Paradise for Men. To be honest, I expected more from this one considering it received a 5-star review from Luca Turin, but I find it to be just OK. It will be nice for the upcoming spring and summer weather (although it has already been in the 80s in my neck of the woods). This was my first experience with a men's fragrance from this house, but I remember as a child, my grandmother wore Beautiful when it first came out.
    Last edited by BRM85282; 28th February 2014 at 12:49 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Wearing Estee Lauder Sensuous Noir for sync Friday. Notes include jasmine, queen of the night, rose, rose oil, black pepper, Crème Noir accord, kencur, melted woods, patchouli prism, amber, benzoin, honey and vanilla.

My one and only Estee Lauder - Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Estée Lauder-
    White Linen
    Crisp, sharp, sparkling and surprising.
    ​I chose this as a variation from the green.

I too adore Estee Lauder. Great scents and very nice prices. I think they deserve a lot of credit for keeping the old standards in the line through the years, though you may have to ask a sales assistant to pull them out of the back of the display.

My top three are Private Collection, White Linen and Azuree. I'd love a few more, including Tuberose Gardenia and Knowing.

I am in synch with my only Estee Lauder, ''Knowing''. Although I think I should give Azuree a try.

(Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Azureé and vintage Private Collection are probably my favorites. Azurée ​is sappy and leathery. The best thing is you can still get it for around $40. A real treasure! I wore it yesterday and it lasted 8 hours, easy.
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th February 2014 at 07:02 PM.

I surprizingly found Azurée Soleil Eau Fraîche in my closet that I had forgotten about which I just applied. Not quite wintery but fabulous anyway.

summer means fireflys

I only have one Estee Lauder fragrance and that is Cinnabar. I went through so much Cinnabar back in the day ... I wore it pretty much exclusively when my sons were little. But after a bout of pneumonia, it fell out of favor with me. I had breathing problems for a long time afterwards and Cinnabar was difficult for me to wear. I also found Angel in 93 or 94 and I let Cinnabar slip away from me ... Several years ago, I felt homesick for Cinnabar and put it on my Christmas list. My sons, now grown, bought it for me and one sniff brought back wonderful scented memories for them and for me. I'm so glad that Cinnabar is back in my collection ... and that it no longer causes breathing problems!