Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2014

The weather has been in the upper 70s, which is hot for Seattle in May, so I welcome this sync. I tend to like white florals more when the weather is hot. I am wearing Le Labo Lys 41, which is probably my favorite WF perfume, and I think generally office-friendly.

Blog Entries

Jil Sander No.4
    I thought this was mainly tuberose but there is
    anise and heliotrope and so much more.
    See this review on the 'Perfume Shrine'.

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...w-history.html
    Last edited by kumquat; 2nd May 2014 at 02:58 PM.

Not sure yet top contenders :Poison ,Fracas, Michael ,Suede by Michael Kors ,AG Gardinia Passion,ET Gardinia ,or a really fresh Gardinia scent that I have a little 1 oz bottle of( bought clearance at Target a few years back)or Kim Kardashian's first one ... Leaning towards the last choice as we expect a district manager visit today and it isn't quite as bombastic as the others .also I'm fighting a cough/cold or something and don't want to overdo it. May up to one of the others later. Hey - why should I really be concerned ? They sell a couple of scents there one's like Euphoria the other is like Brit ( it can get QUITE heady smelling near the cash wrap area when there's been a lot of sampling or a accidental breakage !)

Edit wore Kim Kardashian . Going for some Revolution a' Versailles this evening.
    Last edited by bookwyrmsmith; 3rd May 2014 at 01:48 AM.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I'm wearing Angel today, as my current and all-time favorite. Others may come and go, but Angel is my rock and old friend.
    So glad to hear someone say this. I think Angel gets a bad rap sometimes. I like it too.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Van Cleef and Arpels Collection Extroidinaire Muguet Blanc. The bottle I bought seems to be very soapy. The sample was not. This is my first wearing. I think I like Diorissimo much better. Thought I would wear a Muguet since yesterday was the day that Guerlain releases their limited edition bottle of Muguet. It is way over my budget and unless I win the Powerball.
    Betsy
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

summer means fireflys

I struggled with a white floral today ... nothing sounded "right" but I ended up in By Kilian Sweet Redemption. This is how I do white floral: orange blossom, vanilla, and incense! I never thought I liked orange blossom, but SR is wonderful!

Notes: orange blossom, vanilla, myrrh, opopanax, benzoin, incense
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I struggled with a white floral today ... nothing sounded "right" but I ended up in By Kilian Sweet Redemption. This is how I do white floral: orange blossom, vanilla, and incense! I never thought I liked orange blossom, but SR is wonderful!

Notes: orange blossom, vanilla, myrrh, opopanax, benzoin, incense
    I too love orange blossom. Must try this the next time I'm in NYC. Don't own any Killan but have lots of friends that love it.

Betsy
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

A fragrance that reminds you of your mother or family member.

Okay this is a strange one, when I was a child my mother's handbag was a thing of mystery for me. It was a large sort of Kelly style with a big clip like closure and inside she had her Park Drive, real hankie, keys, purse, compact and the odd mini bottle of Tweed or Pagan. It had this smell which was sort of spicy but smooth.

Fast forward to the early to mid 00s and James from Les Senteurs sent me some samples he thought I would like. Amongst them was Ubar(it wasn't called Ubar Woman back then and had a different bottle from the current version), I sniffed it and it was my mother's handbag. No idea why but it was like a sudden flashback in time. I phoned up and ordered to be told they only had one bottle as Les Senteurs were unsure about stocking that particular fragrance from the house. I found out later that Amouage had changed the fragrance and bottle, I have no idea what the current version smells like, but the original is the inside of my mother's handbag.
    DONNA

What a lovely reason to wear that perfume.

I have a couple of choices here. My mother always wore Fidgi whilst I was a teen but now wears Alliage. The one I think I will sport today however, is Worth Je Reviens in the tiny disc style mini. This was my grandmothers perfume and her first present to me when she thought I was grown up enough to have my own perfume. It was a fragrance like this in a tiny little blue bag with a tiny flat circular bottle. I cannot have been very old and this gift was my prized possession.

Sartorial today which reminds me of my godfather. He spoilt me with lollies when I was a child and now spoils me with perfume and lollies. I will dust off my very neglected bottle of Tresor for my SotE. It was my mother's favourite and one that brings back memories of my early childhood.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

I am wearing vintage ''Coco''. My mum used to have it. I have never worn it, So thanks to ''Synchronised Fridays'' I am finally wearing it!
    Very nice, just a bit dusty, I love dusty
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Oh, FrouFrou, you smell perfectly *sublime* - Coco is my very favorite perfume in the whole wide world!

I'm in sync in Sylvie's Escale à Parati.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

FrouFrou - so good you are enjoying Coco, one of my favourites.

I don't have No. 5, so I'm not in synch, but will try it again next time I'm downtown.

The one and only fragrance that I could possibly wear today in honor of my mother is Chanel No 5. This was my mother's signature fragrance throughout my childhood, and I remember my dad would often buy her a bottle for Christmas. I always thought it smelled beautiful, mysterious, and confident. It's always held a special place in my heart and remains one of my favorite fragrances for women. Too bad my wife is apathetic to it-- she's not a fan of the civet, which was my mom's favorite part, as she has always loved musky fragrances.

Although I am a man, I have frequently worn fragrances designed and marketed towards women, and the Chanel No 5 EDT (which I am currently wearing) actually works well on my skin. I might look into the Eau Premiere if I ever decide to get a full bottle for myself.
    Last edited by BRM85282; 9th May 2014 at 01:11 PM.

That is a lovely story Donna. They are all lovely stories. This is an emotional theme today.

I am wearing Shalimar Parfum Initial, a gift from my beloved sister, who died three months ago, aged forty nine, of metastatic breast cancer. We were together one day and I urged her to smell this vivacious new Shalimar. I don't care for the original. She surprised me with it at Christmas. The fragrances that remind me of her are Opium, Cinnabar, Fendi.

There is another part to this story for today. A serendipitous one. This morning, before I had checked the synch, I really wanted to wear Chypre Palatin. I wanted to be enveloped in it. I could only do that because of the kindness of a Basenotes friend who sent me a very generous amount as a little treat after my sister died. I think of her, and I think of his kindness, every time that I wear it. I know that she would have loved it. So I wore it. A lot. I remembered the synch and therefore I had to wear the Shalimar. So, today I am wearing two fragrances, which are perfectly comfortable with each other, and I couldn't smell more lovely.

A huge smelly hug from me xxxx

Still in sync tonight, and remembering my Aunt Sylvie in her gorgeous Givenchy III.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Chanel no5 today. Funny, but I don't really remember the smell of no5 on my mom but I remember her having a bottle on her dresser during my childhood. I would sneak a bit every now and then and carefully dab it behind my ears (as I had seen on TV), but I didn't really love no5 until recently. I guess my memories caught up to me finally.

Foustie, I'm sorry for your loss. You must miss her terribly ...

Wearing vintage Evening in Paris. (Soir de Paris). My mother always had a bottle on her dressing table when she was a little girl. She wore it to church every Sunday. I'm surprised how good this vintage one still smells. I think Ernest Beaux was a perfume genius. He is the nose behind so many Chanel classics and he also did this most underrated perfume for Bourjois.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Wearing vintage Evening in Paris. (Soir de Paris). My mother always had a bottle on her dressing table when she was a little girl. She wore it to church every Sunday. I'm surprised how good this vintage one still smells. I think Ernest Beaux was a perfume genius. He is the nose behind so many Chanel classics and he also did this most underrated perfume for Bourjois.

Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Thank you for the huge smelly hug Mrs Pongy, and yes shades, I miss her terribly. Our hearts are broken. It was nice to acknowledge her. She loved fragrance too.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Oh ((Foustie)), I'm so very sad and sorry to read about your sister ...my heart's breaking for you, too. And I apologize that I failed to extend my condolences if you mentioned it earlier, but would also understand if you chose not to mention it until now, when perhaps the pain is a bit less fresh. I lost my Aunt Sylvie a few months ago too, but more significantly, my mother lost her baby sister - it's Sylvie I've had in mind with this sync. Like your sister, she was also a perfume-lover, and a profound influence on me. I have most of her perfume now, and I can't ever imagine a time that wearing them won't conjure her, so I really believe that they help me honor and remember her. I sincerely hope you find comfort in all the things that help you remember your dear sister, and I'm so glad that perfume is one of them ...such a graceful and lovely remembrance. xo

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    That is a lovely story Donna. They are all lovely stories. This is an emotional theme today.

I am wearing Shalimar Parfum Initial, a gift from my beloved sister, who died three months ago, aged forty nine, of metastatic breast cancer. We were together one day and I urged her to smell this vivacious new Shalimar. I don't care for the original. She surprised me with it at Christmas. The fragrances that remind me of her are Opium, Cinnabar, Fendi.

There is another part to this story for today. A serendipitous one. This morning, before I had checked the synch, I really wanted to wear Chypre Palatin. I wanted to be enveloped in it. I could only do that because of the kindness of a Basenotes friend who sent me a very generous amount as a little treat after my sister died. I think of her, and I think of his kindness, every time that I wear it. I know that she would have loved it. So I wore it. A lot. I remembered the synch and therefore I had to wear the Shalimar. So, today I am wearing two fragrances, which are perfectly comfortable with each other, and I couldn't smell more lovely.
    Foustie, I am so very sorry on the loss of your sister. I was very touched to read about the consolation found in these two gifts. In our family we are confronting a terminal illness right now, and it helps me to read your post. Thank you for sharing that.

I completely mixed my days up and somehow thought that yesterday was Thursday ...Ooooops! Making up for it ( in spirit at least) by wearing Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose which has been my Moms signature for some twenty odd years now ( she wears other things too TR is just a always there fallback on favorite).
    Fragrance Omnivore

Oh so today is one we have not worn in years. Interesting. Had a think of my collection for the hidden behind other bottles and not worn for a long time.

Creed Santal Impérial
    DONNA

Not worn in years eh??? I think Xanadu by Faberge is a good candidate. I wore it when I was younger in that 'ever so hip and trendy at the time' purple ball. I'm not telling you how many years ago that was!!!!!!

Faberge are a very underestimated line these days. Lots of fabulous perfumes in their day. Babe, Tigress, Fleurs du Monde, Kiku, Woodhue, Straw Hat, Aphrodisia and not forgetting the ever lovely Brut. Which of didn't have a boyfriend smelling of that in the 70's? I'm almost tempted to get some to smell it again…. or maybe not. It might bring back unwanted and best forgotten memories… lol

Not necessarily a hidden treasure, but it's the first time I am wearing it today: Vanille CollectOr by Yves Rocher - a nice gourmand vanilla, which gets dry and not sweet in the dry down. It was a limited edition with body products.

Foustie, I was very touched by your story and I too am sorry for your loss.

queen of the universe

Years? Plural? I've worn everything in my wardrobe. As it is still springtime, a summer fragrance would e most likely to have been left on the shelf the longest. Thus I am going with Myrurgia Nueva Maja.

mumsy, dear, agree totally re: Fabergé! I wore Straw Hat and Aphrodisia as a teen and young woman; have Aphrodisia and Flambeau in my current wardrobe. Flambeau can hold its own against any oriental, and Aphrodisia is THE reference chypre as far as I'm concerned. Ah, they don't make'm like they used to.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Haven't worn in a year or years.

For me it is the original Halston that my husband bought for me back in the 70's before we were married. We were shopping at Lucky Platt in Poughkeepsie, NY -- a long gone department store. Was surprised to find out it is a chypre.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Vintage Diorling which I haven't worn since last spring. I do not reach for it often as I tend to swoon all day when I am wearing it which is distracting.

According to my wardrobe here I haven't worn some of my scents in years ( some which I know I Have worn) My Ava Luxes seems to be a bit forgotten. Probably due to the small perfume oil bottles. Today I will probably wear Moksha or Midnight Violet.

Synching with Gucci Eau de Parfum II tonight.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

I try to rotate my collection and wear each fragrance I own at least once a year, and I noticed that the last time I wore Bvlgari Aqva Marine was almost exactly a year ago (May 11, 2013). It's been well over 100 degrees F in my neck of the woods this week, and I promised my 5-year-old that we could venture out into the pool again today after school (it was still pretty cold two weeks ago). I think I will take out my summer aquatic fragrances this weekend!

Happy Friday!

BAM.jpg

I've only been into perfume for about 4 years now, but I definitely have a bunch of long-ignored decants and even bottles. I've been making an effort to rotate a few of them in lately, but I had to think a while to come up with one that fit my mood and fits with warmer weather. I ended up with Passage d'Enfer, and I am quite enjoying it.

Blog Entries

Lanvin- Arpége, extrait, vintage This is my mother's perfume, worn for going out to dinner or special occasions. She was beautiful in it.

Oh my word, Xanadu, Kiku, Babe. They do take me back! Remember Aqua Manda too? And what can I say about Brut. I would love a vintage bottle too. When I was a teenager the girls went through a phase of wearing Brut too. It was great. I have no idea what it smells like now.

Anyway. I have a lovely one for today. Armani, the original Armani for women. I had it back then, I really loved it and if I had known that it was going to be discontinued I would have bought some to keep. But in my experience, it just vanished. Pouf!

So, a while ago, mumsy kindly sent me a wee bit of hers and it was one of those, whoosh, boom, BAM, moments. I was reminded how special it is. I managed to find one, unopened, and it is perfect. It is the EDT, and I'm sure that I had the EDP, but it is wonderful all the same. A floral chypre with a dark side.

PS, a slight cheat because I have worn it a couple of times since I got it but still...... I smell divine, so it's allowed.
    Last edited by Foustie; 16th May 2014 at 10:32 PM.

I scored a full bottle too the other day. That makes the third back up, so OK for a while. I will let some of you buy them now. Minis are easy to find but not FB's.

I opted to wear L by Lolita Lempicka which according to the records I haven't worn since 2011 ? Not sure but I may
    have just worn the shower gel and lotion between 2011 and today's wearing as it was more accessible (both are in the upstairs bath cabinet vs.the bottle was in its gift set box with a box of minis set on top).
    Fragrance Omnivore

Okay, i won't be joining in tomorrow. I don't own any samples I intend to buy a FB.
    DONNA

My "to buy list" is pretty long and, fortunately/unfortunately, it's getting longer and longer each day. Right now, I have several Frederic Malles on my list that include Carnal Flower, Iris Poudre, Le Parfum de Therese, and Lys Mediterranee. I chose to synch with a sample of Carnal Flower because it screams of spring, and since we are pushing 100+ degree weather and this is the last Friday before Memorial Day weekend here in the US, I thought this would be a nice way to finish off the season. Happy Friday, everyone!

editions-de-parfums-frederic-malle-carnal-flower.jpg

My next purchase from my samples and my synch for the day is Illuminum Rose Oud. Elizabeth Arden introduced a spa collection in the 1980's and one of the four scents was named Exhilarators. It was the 1980's and the whole concept was way ahead of its time and Elizabeth Arden was in the middle of one of its many buy outs/transitions. Therefore this was only on the market for about 3 minutes. I have looked in vain for this. When I tried the Rose Oud sample I was mostly looking to see what oud was all about. It smelled so familiar to me. Then it dawned on me it smelled exactly like Exhilarators. This will definitely be my next purchase.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I have about 20 bottles on my wish list but I think Wit by DelRae is near the top because it really fits with the Spring season we have been having.

At the moment I don't have any tested sample that will lead me to a FB purchase. So I am testing one - yet unknown - sample and see where it will go: Déjà Le Printemps by Oriza L. Legrand. The opening is like cut grass (the combination of camomile and mint?) - so far not something I would consider purchasing, though it is interesting in its own value.
    Edit: The fig in the dry down is wonderful, a bit creamy and DLP lasts - but would I consider a FB?
    Last edited by citypark; 23rd May 2014 at 10:00 PM.

It isn't exactly right for this synch but smelling Dzing made me buy ten more samples to get 10ml. I would like a FB but thrift rules in this case.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Okay, i won't be joining in tomorrow. I don't own any samples I intend to buy a FB.
    Oh, you should do a "wish to buy" sample then!

Blog Entries

I'm trying "Bel Ami' by Hermes as suggested by a BN friend. I didn't realize I had this sample. Wow! Is this still in production? I would definitely get some if so!

http://usa.hermes.com/perfumes/men/b...eur-59346.html

I see it is, yeah! Sign me up! I hope this sample is accurate. (No current changes)
    Last edited by kumquat; 23rd May 2014 at 04:47 PM.

Okay early this AM before turning in ( night owl here!) I put on Tresor Luminese thinking it was a possible purchase ...ehh maybe not . The dry down is a bit Sweeeeeet as in cotton candy/ candyfloss with a bit of metal? I already have Blue Butterfly by HM,and a mini of Fantasy so even Limited edition this isn't a must have . I did get a backup bottle ( partial ) of Accenti so I'll switch to that for this afternoon .
    Fragrance Omnivore

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing L'Heure de Nuit for the synch today. In my dream world, this would be my next FB purchase ... however lack of funds make this just a dream. I do own a decant, with which I am making due.

If I could I would buy Manifesto L'Elixir

Looks like I'll be in either Burberry or Penhaligon's tomorrow for English perfume sync.
    Edit : wore Burberry Brit Sheer.
    Last edited by bookwyrmsmith; 31st May 2014 at 05:30 AM.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Okay going to get on my high horse now.

Penhaligons is no longer an English perfume house they are own by a US company. So unless you chose an older fragrance when the house was still English not strictly true.

But then I am wearing Jo Malone(now owned by Estee Lauder), Sweet Lime and Cedar. Double standards or what. LOL Oh and just fell of the high horse.
    DONNA

Karma by Lush, a spicy orange patchouli pine combo.

I know this might be stretching it a bit, but I only have a couple of Burberrys (London and Burberry Men), and both of those are better for cooler weather, IMO. Therefore I decided to go with Hippie Rose by Heeley. I know technically Heeley is based out of France, but James Heeley is British...so that counts, right?

Happy Friday, everyone!

hippie-rose.jpg

It seems most new things I like recently come from the British. At first I was thinking of wearing a Burberry or an older Jo Malone that she actually did. However, I selected my newest and one my favorites Illuminum Rose Oud "Made In England". Really love this stuff.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

So I was still under the impression that Jo Malone was an English house, thanks for the update donna255. I'm wearing Jo Malone Blackberry and Bay, one of my favorites from this house. I think I could own every product they offer in this scent. My only problem with the fragrance is the longevity. But that really is something that can be overcome.

TXaggie; Jo Malone is still made in England. I was told this by the Jo Malone rep. I checked and all the bottles say London, England. Estee Lauder did buy the company a few years ago. Jo Malone herself stayed with them a few years. Then she broke off and founded another company Jo Loves. Jo Loves is not available in the States at this time.

Really like that Jo Malone Blackberry and Bay you're wearing. That is definitely on my "to buy" list.
    Last edited by BetsyMeszaros; 30th May 2014 at 03:50 PM.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Forgot about the synch. My favorite English scent is Ormonde Jayne Woman.

​I'll change into that one now. Lucious green hemlock woods. Not to be missed.

Last edited by kumquat; 30th May 2014 at 04:18 PM.

Forgot this morning but enjoying some Gin & Lime concentree by Pell Wall this evening.

summer means fireflys

Great picture, kumquat! I agree, OJ Woman is wonderful stuff. Too bad, I forgot it was Friday this morning ... I would have worn it.

Blog Entries

Great picture, kumquat! I agree, OJ Woman is wonderful stuff. Too bad, I forgot it was Friday this morning ... I would have worn it.
    Thanks. It's one of my favorites. Love your new avatar and saying. RIP