Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2014

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Thanks. It's one of my favorites. Love your new avatar and saying. RIP
    Thanks ... it is in memory of my nephew. He passed away 4 years ago on May 26. I usually have some sort of avatar in his memory for the month of May. This particular picture was drawn by a friend of his shortly after his death.

To get back on topic (somewhat), I dug out my old Ormonde Jayne samples tonight. Sadly, they have evaporated. For the most part, I liked them but Woman was definitely the best to my nose. I fell hard and fast and ended up buying a travel set, but I would love to have a FB!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Yes I remember your nephew, the storm chaser. So sad.

the good thing about Ormande Jayne now is you can get reasonable shipping costs at last.

Blog Entries

What's up for tomorrow?

A fragrance from a house you own most of, well that is what I read for the 6th.

So for me it was either Guerlain or Caron, the latter won by about 5 bottles. Will decided on which one in the morning.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Ok, since I'm traveling that's doable- Caron decant!

Gotta figure out which Avon to wear tomorrow. I think I've something like 17 scents from that company to choose from. Well I think I'll save Unforgettable for the bought for the bottle sync( and hope I don't forget the poor thing!). Most likely it'll be Surrender a caramelly Angel clone descendant . My coworker tends to prefer the gourmand scents(Pink Sugar is her sig) and has some nausea /migraine issues with ones similar to Happy or L'eau de Issey( Miyake). And the poor lady just had her pet bunny pass away on her birthday recently. That's enough unpleasant stresses in life for awhile .
    Fragrance Omnivore

Default Synchronized Fridays 2014

I am in a bit of a dilemma because I own 13 full bottles from Creed and 13 from Bond 9 (thanks to the refill promotion going on right now). As a result, I decided to go with Bond 9 Montauk because I just received it in the mail yesterday and haven't given it a full, proper wearing. Perhaps I will wear something from Creed in the evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Old Homage (Amouage).
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

I saw that I have the most bottles from Yves Rocher thanks to their offers of selling them next to nothing sometimes. Today I am wearing Moment de bonheur, a rose perfume which I got for free. Nice for a still crisp morning.

Royal Bain de Caron, just wanted something simple and didn't want to wear extract today.
    DONNA

with right at 50 kinds of Avon.. Today will be Hawaiian White Ginger for me as it will be just shy of 100 degrees F here.

Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain. Hard to decide between this and Mahora. Finally decided to give Eau it's first wearing of the summer.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Caron-
    French CanCan

7 bell jars and 5 full bottles - it's Uncle Serge!

Today I'm wearing Clair de Musc.

It's a tie between Guerlain and Serge Lutens with 6 bottles each. Tie breaker goes to SL with 7 decants! I reached for Daim Blond today, the newest member of the family. I think I will be wearing this a lot this summer ...

My wife and I are going out for a late dinner date, so I went with Creed's Aventus. Since I have an equal amounts of Creeds and Bond 9s, I figured I should enjoy something from both houses today.

creed-aventus.jpg

Ended up forgetting to apply before work ,so syncing up just under the wire with Pearls & Lace . It's a light floral-chypre that I like to be able to pay attention to as it's a bit delicate. ( Funny really, I thought the shower gel to be ever so strong and "Grown-Up Lady " when I was little.)
    Fragrance Omnivore

Oh tomorrow I will have a large selection to chose from. I wear lots of men's fragrances.
    DONNA

I might go for Jicky. It's the most unisex fragrance I own. I love powdery florals, soft orientals and gourmands most and those are usually marketed as feminine.

Random thought, Donna,what perfume might Nijinsky have worn? I couldn't find any info on this.
    Last edited by lanvinelle; 12th June 2014 at 07:11 PM.

Blog Entries

I think- ​a Guerlain - Sous les Vent

Kumquat, I absolutely love your choice of Guerlain...you've inspired me to run and spritz some Sous le Vent....mmmm

Well, not sure what I will wear tomorrow. I have so many samples now I declared "Sample Saturday" for myself. Last Saturday I picked Chanel Platinum Egoiste not knowing it was a man's fragrance. It is a very nice fragrance for men. My husband liked it so his bottle I got him Fathers Day arrived this afternoon. He really likes it and thinks the bottle is classy.

So what to wear tomorrow? Not Platinum Egoiste again! Maybe something Unisex.
    Betsy
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lanvinelle View Post
    Kumquat, I absolutely love your choice of Guerlain...you've inspired me to run and spritz some Sous le Vent....mmmm
    Thanks- I'm really looking forward to it, too. Love that one.

Basenotes Institution

I'm wearing Shalimar, no surprise there.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I actually own a wear quite a few fragrances that are marketed towards women, and I will jump on the Guerlain bandwagon and wear Mitsouko EDT.

Have a geat Friday, everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good morning! I found Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo in my collection which I think fits the bill. I love this one.

Hmm... The only overtly "male" fragrances I own are Tuscan Leather and Original Santal. I'll probably go with the Creed.

I made the decision last night to wear Caron Le 3me Homme.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    13/06/2014 Sadie Hawkins Day - Unisex or Something Usually Worn by the Opposite Sex

Isn't Sadie Hawkins Day in November?
    Last edited by 勝美!; 15th June 2014 at 01:09 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Wonderful! I have a lot to choose from but since I'm working today (on my birthday) I'll save Une Rose for tonight & wear Guerlain AA Mandarine Basillic.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

hmm. sprayed on JPG Classique early this morning but once the day heats up I'll be wearing Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Blog Entries

Guerlain-
    Sous les Vent
    (In the Wind)
    Last edited by kumquat; 13th June 2014 at 05:17 PM.

Acqua Universalis Forte Maison Francis Kurkdjian for women and men

Just a note about why I mentioned Sadie Hawkins Day in the list.

Sadie Hawkins day is some time in the fall but this week is Fathers Day week. Sadie Hawkins is about the girls asking the boys instead of the boys asking the girls. Since we are to wear a scent usually worn by the opposite sex or a unisex scent, today is more about the spirit of Sadie Hawkins Day not the day itself. It's also a week when we honor our fathers here in the States..
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

This time I forgot about the synch, so I was wearing Shalimar. It fitted more than Vetyver by Roger & Gallet which I have, though it was another hot summer day.
    RHM,it's your birthday too? Congratulations!

I'm a little bit in synch ... I'm wearing Angel today, but I added some spritzes of A*men on top.

Acqua Universalis Forte Maison Francis Kurkdjian for women and men

Just a note about why I mentioned Sadie Hawkins Day in the list.

Sadie Hawkins day is some time in the fall but this week is Fathers Day week. Sadie Hawkins is about the girls asking the boys instead of the boys asking the girls. Since we are to wear a scent usually worn by the opposite sex or a unisex scent, today is more about the spirit of Sadie Hawkins Day not the day itself. It's also a week when we honor our fathers here in the States..
    I don't really think that needs any justification. I have no idea when the "real" Sadie Hawkins Day is, nor does it matter in the least to me. It made perfect sense to dub today's sync that.

I really appreciate all the work you've done on coming up with such interesting sync subjects, and in keeping up with it every week. Thank you for all that.

I'm synced up with Marc Jacobs Bang .pepper, pepper ,pepper. I like it . But if I ever had to pick Cruella DiVille's signature scent this would be a top contender.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Hello everyone! I have been on holiday so I missed the last couple of synchs. You will forgive me if I tell you that I was in Rhodes, the largest of the Dodecanese Islands, soaking up some sunshine and watching it glimmer on the Aegean Sea. A perfect location for you shadesofbleu, as everything is so........ bleu !

So, the house that I have most fragrances from surprised me. It is L'Artisan Parfumeur. Not because it is "my favourite house" but probably because they have so many fragrances and they also have good sales! I have realised that I don't seem to collect by house, again I'm surprised. I like to discover whole ranges. Mind you that is not to say that if money and space were unlimited I wouldn't order whole ranges from some houses, many houses. The most recently discovered would be Orizo L Legrand, I would happily have the lot.

This weeks synch is an absolute scoosh for me as I have so many unisex or masculines and heaps of samples of such. BUT, I have decided that I will wear one of his nibs fragrances, Fahrenheit. Very nice. I smelled Fahrenheit Absolute on holiday and I thought that it was great.

Take care everyone.

Mocha, thanks so much for your comment. It is appreciated.

I love it when people are a little ingenious with their synchs. For example, someone didn't own Estee Lauder but they owned something from another house that is now owned by Estee Lauder. A little imagination and a sense of humor always add some fun.

I have learned a lot doing this and have enjoyed it very much. Among other things I figured out what is chypre and that I do actually own chypres, found out there are perfumes with honey notes, discovered who the noses are behind certain scents, surprised to learn all the Jo Malone's I adore were actually done by Jo Malone pre-EL, etc.

The week coming up is an easy synch for me. It's discontinued perfumes. It seems like over half the things in my wardrobe are discontinued and the list grows longer everyday. A lot that haven't been discontinued have been reformulated. So thankful for all the bottles I kept from the 60's and 70's. Most of them are still okay though some have mellowed more then I would like.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    I don't really think that needs any justification. I have no idea when the "real" Sadie Hawkins Day is, nor does it matter in the least to me. It made perfect sense to dub today's sync that.
    Yes. There is a Sadie Hawkins Day. Just because you put quotation marks around the word real, don't know when it is and doesn't matter to you does not mean that it does not matter to others. Had we shared Christmas Scent Synchronization or Fourth of July Scent Synchronization on Friday, you'd have been down with that? That would make perfect sense to you? I know when Sadie Hawkins Day is and did not understand why we are celebrating five months early. Had I learned of the Father's Day angle prior to picking up Axe Peace ☮ at the last minute after pumping my car with gasoline at the combini, I would have went more for something like Guerlain Vetiver as my S.O.T.D.

I received three compliments for Axe Peace ☮.

During my brief matriculation in public high school, in the autumn term there was the Welcome Freshman mixer in early September, Homecoming formal and Halloween fancy dress dances in October, Winter Carnival in December and the Sadie Hawkins Dance in November for which the girl pays for the dance and after—party.

At the country club where I golf, there is a summer Turnabout Dance to which the woman asks the man and the dinner and drinks are charged to her account. Very similar to the Sadie Hawkins Dance but is geared towards junior members and does not have the comedic desperate spinsterhood aspect of Sadie Hawkins Day which wears thinner with each passing year. That was the second disconnect for me. Sadie Hawkins Day is to catch a man. My immediate thoughts were of Chanel N° 5 to enhance my feminine wiles and not a fragrance primarily marketed towards men.

I am certain we all appreciate Betsy's work. Having been a moderator on several busy discussion boards, constantly coming up with new ideas can become a challenge. I participated on Basenotes about ten years ago and suggested that everyone wear the same or perfumes with similar notes on the same day. There were no organized scent synchronization days. So. It is very interesting to see this project. Thank you, Betsy, for that and thank you for the explanation.

Basenotes Plus

O.K....shall we just agree to participate in the sprit of the thread?
    It's just a bit of fun for those who wish to join in.

Thanks to Betsy for coming up with such an interesting variety of themes and maintaining the thread
    Last edited by lpp; 15th June 2014 at 10:23 PM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Basenotes Plus

for this latest sync I wore Coriolan by Guerlain
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Discontinued tomorrow.

Well Cadolle No9 or Crown Perfumery or LV Ambra(which has recently been re released so perhaps that is out then)????
    DONNA

queen of the universe

Discontinued, right in my wheelhouse! Choices, choices. . . (;
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

Maybe some Jean Patou is in order.
    Gosh, so many you can't get now. Why can't I think of any that aren't just reformulations?

Discontinued eh? Just about my entire wardrobe then...... easy.

I shall wear my recently discontinued favourite, Safran Troublant.

I am synching with the sadly discontinued Green Valley by Creed. I was able to acquire a bottle of this chypre from the Creed Boutique a couple of months ago based a tip that I heard here on Basenotes. Supposedly it was inspired by the game of golf. Unfortunately I won't have time to hit the links anytime soon, but at least I'll smell like I should be working on my backswing!

Happy Friday, everyone!

Last edited by BRM85282; 20th June 2014 at 06:59 AM.

Oh, finally decided on SpaceNK Melodrama created by Christopher Sheldrake and discontinued pretty quickly by SpaceNK(seems their average customer wanted Laughter), it is a gorgeous old style fragrance which one of the big houses would have created back in the 50s or 60s. I even managed to grab a back up bottle on ebay for £9.99, the one before in auction went very high.
    DONNA

I am wearing Alien Sunessence Or d'ambre which is very fruity (kiwi) in the beginning but uplifting as well. One can still get it online, the prices have gone up however.

Blog Entries

Kumquat's garden

Guerlain- Guerlinade

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Discontinued eh? Just about my entire wardrobe then...... easy.

You are giving it away now dear. She is much older than you think, you know. She had the first issue of Soir de Paris.

This is a lovely synch today. Your posts are all terrific. A very, very special fragrance for me today. Helena Rubenstein Heaven Sent. This was my first fragrance of my own, given to me by an Aunt when I was about nine, and for several birthdays after that because I loved it, (and she has something to answer for I tell you! It's all her fault you know. She is in her eighties now). I managed to get a bottle on ebay. It's only ever so slightly spolied, and it's all still there.

It took me some time to decide this morning. I have so many that are discontinued. Finally decided on
    Jo Malone Vintage Gardenia with Cardamom and Myrrh.

Kumquat
    I love your picture of the lilac from your garden.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I'm wearing the dc'ed Ralph Wild today. I bought this blind due to the strawberry note when I was on a serious strawberry fragrance crave. It didn't really scratch the itch, but then, none really have. I'm still looking for my ultimate strawberry scent ... Anyway, I reach for this occasionally, mostly on hot humid summer days. It feels fruity and refreshing. It's sweet-ish and uncomplicated and sometimes that is just what you need, no?

Notes include: watermelon, strawberry, cherry blossom, pink peppercorn, red petals, jasmine, amber

I kept checking different ones of mine and the directory said they were still in production . Finally gave up and sprayed myself down with Dreams by Tabu . It's DCed , dirt cheap on ebay, and smells quite a bit like Trish McCovoy's blackberry & musk # 9 or Paco Rabbane Ultraviolet. Shadesofbleu you might want to get one if only for the blue glass bottle. Also for your strawberry perfume hunt - have you tried the Sarah Jessica Parker NYC one ? Smelled of strawberry candy to me. Might be it ,who knows?
    Fragrance Omnivore

Blog Entries

Kumquat
    I love your picture of the lilac from your garden.
    Thanks very much! They smelled so great, too! Too short-lived. That's what I love about the perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrmsmith View Post
    I kept checking different ones of mine and the directory said they were still in production . Finally gave up and sprayed myself down with Dreams by Tabu . It's DCed , dirt cheap on ebay, and smells quite a bit like Trish McCovoy's blackberry & musk # 9 or Paco Rabbane Ultraviolet. Shadesofbleu you might want to get one if only for the blue glass bottle. Also for your strawberry perfume hunt - have you tried the Sarah Jessica Parker NYC one ? Smelled of strawberry candy to me. Might be it ,who knows?
    Are you talking about the PR Ultraviolet for men or women? The woman's notes sound like something I would maybe like ...

No, Ive not tried the SJP one either. Will have to look around for it ... Thanks for the recommendations!

Another story......

Tomorrows synch is an easy one for me, and a pleasure. On holiday recently I met a lovely Dutch guy and lo' he is the manager of a cosmetics department in an upmarket department store. So while our partners played chess and drank beer, we talked and talked......and talked........
    He has done all the formal training for Dior and Chanel and others, so he had wonderful stories to tell about the history of the houses and the fragrances, and the materials. He has a huge respect for Dior.

Now, I have lingered around J'Adore many times, but I have never bought any. My friend talked with such passion and such authority that we decided to go into town and we would smell and discuss the various versions of J'Adore. We looked at L'Absolu, L'Or and J'Adore EDP. He particularly recommended L'Absolu. He could tell me so much about the materials, the flacon (which is very special), and he was so passionate about that I would have liked to buy it for my collection, BUT, noses are noses, and personal preference prevailed, and I found in fact that my favourite is the J'Adore EDP. I know that people say that it has been changed beyond all recognition but I find it to be lovely. The L'Absolu is far more jasmine- centric, the J'Adore has roses at it's heart. I will wear it and be happy.

That is a nice tale. What a holiday find... fun with a fumehead!

I used to have a bottle of J'Adore and wore it all eventually but there was always something I wasn't so sure of to choose it as a favourite. I would need to smell it again in my newer knowledge to know what it might be. I shall sniff at a counter next time to see.

Tomorrow depends on whether samples count or not........ I have more than a few I could wear if so.
    Last edited by mumsy; 26th June 2014 at 04:18 PM.

Blog Entries

I just received my back ordered bottle of DelRae Wit. ​Really looking forward to this one! A sweet daphne scent- divine.

Last edited by kumquat; 26th June 2014 at 05:34 PM.