Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2014

I think I will go with Chanel- no.19 for Lauren Bacall in "To Have and Have Not". Her first film, she was only 19 years old and she met the love of her life, Humphrey Bogart. The smoky vintage version makes me think of this film. It is in black and white and everyone is smoking all the way through it.

Last edited by kumquat; 18th July 2014 at 05:37 PM.

Taking it down a few notches both in movie/ books and fragrance. Going to sync with BCBGirls Star as it has a strawberryish note in it. At least to my nose it does. This is to fragrance Bella from the Twilight books and movies, in which she uses a strawberry scented shampoo ( which pretty well sums up the scent). This isn't my favorite movie or book but it's a character I could come up with quickly ,and would be wearable with a light headache.
    Favorite movie is " The Slipper and the Rose" and I'd probably fragrance pair with AG Ce Soir Jamais( sp?). But I didn't want to ramp up a headache any higher with a headier floral.
    I believe this is my thousandth post ! WoooHooo!!!
    Fragrance Omnivore

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's picks for today's synch! I love synchs like this that let you use your imagination, much more so than specific house synchs.

Interesting that a couple of you picked Mad Men to synch with. I am slogging through the seasons and really started loving it on Season 2. I just got Season 4 in the mail and will probably start it tonight. Betsy, Christina Hendricks was on the cover of Health magazine a couple months ago and mentioned that Serge Lutens Fille en Aguilles is her current favorite fragrance. I thought that was so interesting! Who knew she was a perfumista? Someone should write her and tell her to start posting here.

Article at: http://www.health.com/health/article...7_last,00.html

I synched today in vintage L'Interdit thinking of Sally Jay Gorce in Elaine Dundy's hilarious and sexually liberated novel The Dud Avocado, published way ahead of its time in 1957, the same year L'Interdit was released.

Evening synch is 1889's Jicky for Edna Pontellier in Kate Chopin's 1899 novel The Awakening, probably my all time favorite novel.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Next synch will be easy for me. I only have two perfumes by these perfumers; Cuir Beluga (Polge) and Futur (Guichard) so it will be the latter in this heat.

Default Synchronized Fridays 2014

I found the perfect fragrance to synch for this week's theme! I was researching both perfumers, and I discovered that Aurélien Guichard composed Moon Sparkle by Escada. My wife bought me this fragrance a long time ago when it first hit the shelves in 2007, and although I have received compliments while wearing it, one female colleague said that "no man should EVER wear something called 'Moon Sparkle.'" To this day, she continues to tease me about it. As a result, I hardly ever wear it in fear of somebody asking me what I am wearing...(although I suppose I could just simply say, "Escada."). The notes include ginger, vodka, vetiver, floral notes, and bergamot, and I do have to admit that it does smell quite juvenile...(am am 34), but I work with kids and it is perfect for the scorching hot weather of the Arizona summer.

Nevertheless, I also realized that this week marked the 45th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing, so in honor of that major historic event, I will proudly announce to everyone that I am wearing a MEN'S fragrance named Moon Sparkle!

Happy Friday, everyone!

MoonSparkle.jpg
    Last edited by BRM85282; 25th July 2014 at 04:44 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Love your post BRM85282!

well, I have only one by Guichard (Visa) and two by Polge (Cacharel Liberte and Bvlgari au The Rouge) so tomorrow it will have to be one of those.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I was surprised to even own any Guichard!!!! But I have Visa, but its too hot to weather it here at the moment.

So going for Dior Homme original 2005 bottle, I own.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    So going for Dior Homme original 2005 bottle, I own.
    Likewise, but not until this evening. Until then, it's another eau de cologne day for me. So warm today!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    I found the perfect fragrance to synch for this week's theme! I was researching both perfumers, and I discovered that Aurélien Guichard composed Moon Sparkle by Escada. My wife bought me this fragrance a long time ago when it first hit the shelves in 2007, and although I have received compliments while wearing it, one female colleague said that "no man should EVER wear something called 'Moon Sparkle.'" To this day, she continues to tease me about it. As a result, I hardly ever wear it in fear of somebody asking me what I am wearing...(although I suppose I could just simply say, "Escada."). The notes include ginger, vodka, vetiver, floral notes, and bergamot, and I do have to admit that it does smell quite juvenile...(am am 34), but I work with kids and it is perfect for the scorching hot weather of the Arizona summer.

Nevertheless, I also realized that this week marked the 45th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing, so in honor of that major historic event, I will proudly announce to everyone that I am wearing a MEN'S fragrance named Moon Sparkle!

Happy Friday, everyone!

MoonSparkle.jpg
    Now THAT must be the synch of the year! Fantastic, on so many levels.

Thin pickings for me today. We are going to have a cloud of Dior Homme over the UK today as I join Donna and Ken. Hi Ken! Nice to see you here.

Knit, The Bvlgari Au The Rouge is really good, isn't it?

I didn't know that I have perfumes by Polge or Guichard - learning again. Too bad that I don't have Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge with me, so it will be John Galliano EdP (Guichard) - but only later in the evening.

Blog Entries

Bond No.9-
    Chinatown
    Perfumer- Aurélien Guichard

Kumquat, I too elected to wear Bond No. 9 - Chinatown using a sample you sent to me. Thank you so much. My other choices were Burberry The Beat or Lancome La Vie Est Belle by Olivier Polge.

Erin t
    hanks for the info on Christina Hendricks favorite being Serge Lutens Fille en Aguilles. I must go on a search.

BRM85282, you definitely have taken the lead for Best Synch of the Year for Moon Sparkle.

Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Basenotes Plus

Excellent sync theme today.
    Foustie, I always enjoy wearing the red tea! Today's wearing was no exception. This evening when it faded I layered on some Bvlgari Rose over it. The Rose is not my favorite but it goes nicely with the tea scent (IMO)

Envious of the Chinatown wearers. I love it on paper but on my skin it turns very sour.
    A Scent Rescuer

The only one I have from this period is Diorissimo Edt. While I love it I am not in the mood for it these days. I usually only wear it in early spring.

Blog Entries

http://www.fragrantica.com/search/

Here are some I found to consider.

Jasmal by Creed, Madame Rochas, Carven- Vert et Blanc, Gres- Cabochard

This time I can join the synching crowd. I own three from that period:

Givrine by E. Coudray
    Poivre by Caron
    Cabochard by Grès

I will wear Givrine as SOTD and Poivre as SOTE

Because I really like the classics I thought I would have lots from 1950 to 1959. Was really surprised to find out I only own two. They are Diorissimo and Tresor. Lanvinelle since Diorissimo is one of my favorites I would wear it anytime although I agree with you that spring is best. Will decide tomorrow which one to wear.

Puma and Kumquat you have such unique fragrances to chose from. I'm still learning about fragrance and have to admit I had never heard of any of these. You are so lucky to have such a deep collection.
    Betsy
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

queen of the universe

Depending on my mood I shall sync in either Revlon Hypnotique (that's the cute bunny bottle in my avatar), or badass Cabochard. We shall see...
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I it seems only own 3 from that period, I too thought I would have a larger selection. Loads before it seems.

Think I will go with Chanel Pour Monsieur.
    DONNA

What a lovely idea Donna. I'll join you. I used to adore wearing Chanel PM and I haven't done for ages. I have a tiddly dribble left I think. Yes I do! Oooh it's gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Depending on my mood I shall sync in either Revlon Hypnotique (that's the cute bunny bottle in my avatar), or badass Cabochard. We shall see...
    So thats what it is Jujy. Nice. Coulda gone for Cabochard too. Love it.

Default Synchronized Fridays 2014

I'm snycing with Le Parfum de Therese (Frederic Malle). According to the website, "Composed in the 50s by Edmond Roudnistka, one of the most acclaimed perfumers of the 20th Century, it was never commercially produced and remained a well-kept secret; Thérèse, Roudnitska's wife, was the only person allowed to wear it. Considered a masterpiece due to its water-fruit accord, and 40 years ahead of its time, this complex fragrance is also reminiscent of glorious perfumes of the past. A vintage fragrance that epitomizes its creator's style."

I originally bought this for my wife, but she didn't like it and said it "smells like Betty Draper." I guess that means I could have worn this two weeks ago as well! It is clearly intended as a woman's chypre, but I think this fragrance easily veers into the unisex side by today's standards. The leather really gives is it some depth. I think it's fantastic!

Happy Friday!

Last edited by BRM85282; 1st August 2014 at 02:51 PM.

Blog Entries

I haven't worn the beautiful Vert et Blanc by Carven for a long time so that's for today. I will try to find the notes. It has plenty of oak moss and galbanum, I'm sure.

Here's a nice review

http://thevintageperfumevault.blogsp...c-perfume.html

Last edited by kumquat; 1st August 2014 at 05:25 PM.

I could not pass up on the sync and wore Diorissimo to the gym. It was delightful. I absolutely love the sync which "forces" me to evaluate my collection.
    Last edited by lanvinelle; 1st August 2014 at 10:53 PM.

A quick perusal of my wardrobe tells me I'm utterly spoiled for choice with a even dozen options to choose from. Arrrrghh! Okay definitely 1st world problem. Cabochard or L'interdite or Jolie Madame are strong contenders.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Well, I'm cheating a little today. I'm wearing Tresor by Lancome. It seems that Tresor was first introduced in 1952. It was re-introduced in 1990 with a formula by Sophia Grojsman. Mine is a version I would say from about 2005. So I am wearing it in tribute to the original. Maybe someday I will find an old bottle somewhere at an estate auction. In the meantime I will just have to pretend. Really love that note of apricot blossom.

BRM5282 would love to smell that Le Parfum de Therese. Thanks for sharing the story with us.

Last edited by BetsyMeszaros; 1st August 2014 at 09:31 PM.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I loooove this sync today. After some research, I realized that I own and love quite a few scents introduced in the 1950’s. Unfortunately, I don’t actually own anything that old, but I really enjoyed looking (drooling) over the wonderful vintage bottles pictured here and on SOTD! I flirted with a few florals and vetivers, but it seems like the paralegal has allergies to some of the floral scents that I have worn (lightly!) to the office…so I nixed those. I figured Youth Dew would likely kill him off rather quickly, and he is pretty adorable and helpful, and entirely undeserving of death by YD, so I opted to keep that for SOTE. (Bf likes YD so that’s a plus too!) So after all of that deliberation, I chose the delightful Monsieur de Givenchy for my sync SOTD. I’m wearing the modern version, with notes of: bergamot, lemon, lavender, lemon verbena, hinoki wood and oakmoss. I have the vintage version with carnation and more moss, but chose this current Mythiques edition for the office, as I can’t go about sniffing myself, which would have proved inevitable wearing the vintage! Nonetheless, it is lovely and refreshing and perfectly office inoffensive!
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Well tomorrow is very easy for me. I shall wear Safran Troublant. I feel fabulous in this soft spicy vanilla with a trace of rose.This is a longtime favourite of mine. I could definitely seduce myself wearing this lol.

I don't know if it is allowed, but I am syncing with a fragrance I've already worn on a Friday sync...The One by Dolce and Gabbana (something created between 2000-2013).

This is perhaps my favorite designer fragrance and in my top 5 favorites of all time. I think this is one of the most seductive fragrances out there. The warm, soft amber gives it a dreamy sensuality that is spiced up with tobacco and ginger. It's the olfactory equivalent of giving someone that "let's get out of here" look. I love wearing this one out on dates with my wife! My only criticism of this fragrance is it's poor performance, but when you wear it for seduction, that can actually be a good thing. The only way for someone other than the person wearing can enjoy it is when they were snuggled up close to you, and once it starts wearing off, the best way to bring it back to life it to let things heat up...

Happy Friday!

Phew! It's getting hot in here........

Easy today, Chanel Coco.

Well gosh! I thought for sure you would find me in vintage Shalimar today but you won't. I asked my husband of all my perfumes which was the most seductive. His reply was not Shalimar, as I expected, but Aqua Universalis Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian. I don't mind this a bit since this is one of my top three favorite scents. Top notes are bergamot and amalfi lemon; middle notes are jasmine, rose and white flowers; base notes are woodsy notes and musk. It's suppose to be unisex but I think it may be much too floral for that. It's probably the bergamot and jasmine that draw me in.

Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

BRM85282, of course repeats are allowed. By the way, you smell divine.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Caron-
    Tabac Blond
    Parfum
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th August 2014 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    BRM85282, of course repeats are allowed. By the way, you smell divine.
    Hahaha...thanks! By the way, my wife is the one who chose that picture!

Last week was a bit hard -I had at least a dozen to choose from! Ended up grabbing Cabochard . This week frankly stumps this ingenue. So I'll pass this week.
    Fragrance Omnivore

I wore SL Ambre Sultan for the seduction scent synch yesterday. My husband loves it, my friends and family love it, I love it ... not sure I wanted to wear it on a HOT August day, but actually it worked out well. I spritzed very sparingly and I really like how it bloomed in the heat.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Shadesofbleu, now you have me curious about the SL Ambre Sultan. If that many people love it I have to take a look at this. I don't own any Serge Lutens at the present time but I have several samples and there are one or two on my wish list. That wish list is getting long.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Basenotes Plus

Dang I had to miss this week's sync because I'm staying at dad's in AZ after he was briefly hospitalized. I've only got two bottles here, neither fit the sync theme.
    A Scent Rescuer

I don't really do Summer Scents as such. But if really warm go for say Chanel Pour Monsieur, Eau de Guerlain, Diptyque Ombre Dans L'Eau or Diptyque Eau de Lavande.

Okay, Eau de Lavande today.
    DONNA

"O" de Lancome still means summer to me
    after all these years.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Jo Malone Vintage Gardenia over Jo Malone French Lime Blossom
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I almost wore Creed's Virgin Island Water, but I ended up going with Versace Man Eau Fraiche today. While I love VIW and it is the epitome of a summer vacation fragrance, I have an important meeting, and I don't want to give off a "I'd rather be sitting on the beach with an icy cocktail in my hand than in this pointless meeting" vibe.

Versace Man Eau Fraiche is probably in my top 5 warm weather fragrances and was made for the summer. The hotter it gets outside, the better it smells. It's at its best when worn in scorching hot weather, and since I live in Phoenix, I tend to wear it a lot. Bring on the heat!

I am wearing Petite Chérie Eau de Parfum today. I love this light, grassy, fruity scent which is never too sweet on me. I am not sure I have a favourite summer scent but judging from the level of liquid in the bottle it looks like this one is my most worn.
    Last edited by lanvinelle; 15th August 2014 at 04:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Caron-
    Violette Precieuse
    Vintage

I'm wearing Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia today for the summer fragrance synch. This is so unlike me and it was a blind buy at that! For some reason, I wanted a mint fragrance in the pack and I saw a great price on this in the BN Marketplace. Mentafollia is a smooth, minty fragrance that is like a cool breeze on a summer day. It's just the perfect thing to wear when temperatures are high (just under 100 here in Kansas today!) and the humidity is climbing.

Notes: mandarin zest, mint leaves, rose, jasmine, green tea, cedar
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I was away on a trip and had only some samples with me, but I don't have my Cabochard (made in the 1950ies) bottle here anyway and for seductive perfume, I might have chosen L'Arte by Gucci (but I wouldn't take the whole bottle with me). Yesterday for the favourite summer perfume - Womanity (not here), L'Eau d'Issey Summer Edition 2005 (without alcohol; also not here) or Kenzo's L'Eau ICE (also not here)? It was raining and rather fresh, so I didn't feel like donning a summer fragrance anyway and opted for Palome Picasso edp instead.

For the next synch I have two options; Vintage Arpège Extrait with Mysore Sandalwood (last dregs) and Marry-Me, a pretty peachy floral with magnolia...I will probably wear a dab of the former.

Quote Originally Posted by lanvinelle View Post
    For the next synch I have two options; Vintage Arpège Extrait with Mysore Sandalwood (last dregs) and Marry-Me, a pretty peachy floral with magnolia...I will probably wear a dab of the former.
    Lanvinelle, I too have two options. Either vintage Arpege or vintage My Sin. I think the My Sin is a little off as it is not as I remember it in my youth. Then again maybe I just don't quite remember it the way it was. . It is vintage and when you buy those things on e-bay you do take a chance. I guess it just didn't make it through the years - or my tastes changed.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I own only one Lanvin Arpege so that is what I am wearing today.

Also own only one Balmain Jolie Madame
    DONNA

I chose vintage Lanvin Arpege from a beautiful purse flask. The smell is beautiful but barely there. Another vintage e-Bay purchase that didn't quite work out. Oh, well, I have a beautiful bottle. I wonder how the current Arpege smells. Anybody know???????? Donna is your Arpege vintage or new?

My only other choice was Lanvin My Sin which I seem to have taken to our house in Virginia and left there.

This is the first synch where I've been totally lost. Hope everyone else is doing better with this one.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I only have on fragrance that fits today's theme-- Lanvin Avant Garde. It's a little heavy for August in Phoenix, but it has been raining a lot and with the cooler temperatures and humidity, it might work out well. I'll just have to go easy on the trigger.

Happy Friday!

I have one choice: Eclat d'Arpège, a musky lilac.

Betsy, the new Arpège is rather indolic, maybe too much for some people in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    Lanvinelle, I too have two options. Either vintage Arpege or vintage My Sin. I think the My Sin is a little off as it is not as I remember it in my youth. Then again maybe I just don't quite remember it the way it was. . It is vintage and when you buy those things on e-bay you do take a chance. I guess it just didn't make it through the years - or my tastes changed.
    Hello, BetsyMeszaros and all, lots of lovely Arpège here today! Mmmm...I am wearing the extrait as predicted.I bought it when it was new so I have to say now it smells quite different and vintage. The effervescent aldehydic and citrus top notes are gone, but the sandalwoody drydown is very much there.It is beautiful, but honestly I liked it better when it had all the notes when it was new. It was always stored in a cool dark place in its box. It makes me realize that what we are smelling now in most vintage perfumes is not what they used to smell like when they were fresh.

Well, I actually had a few fragrances to choose from for today’s sync. Last night I was fairly sure I would wear the refreshing and lemony Monsieur Balmain, but this morning I changed my mind at the last minute and wore a Lanvin blind buy that I was initially rather unimpressed with: Rumeur 2 Rose. I bought it solely because it was cheap, and it bumped my order amount up enough to qualify for free shipping. At any rate, it was an extra blind blind buy, lol… I gave it a few more wears recently and I actually like it for a cute, fruity-citrusy-rosy floral. Sometimes an uncomplicated, “pink” fragrance fits the bill and so it does today. I may wear some vintage Arpege tonight and join the crowd.
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Plus

Never sniffed a Balmain I didn't like, so this week's theme is easy for me.
    Chose Balmain de Balmain. It's such a lovely classic chypre; seems older than something marketed in 1998.

Lanvin is a great house, too. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I'll revisit something from Lanvin.
    A Scent Rescuer

Went with Lanvin Orange Ambre. Yum! Only downside is the longevity ( bout oh 3 hours), but hey, it's a citrus what do you expect?
    Fragrance Omnivore

Hi! Late check in for me this week. Well, I thought that I didn't have anything by Balmain or Lanvin (*blushes*) but then I rememebered that mumsy sent me a little Ivoire, but also I have a big 100ml bottle of Lanvin Rumeur. I tried Rumeur at my sisters and thought that it was terrific, so I ordered some. I think that hers must have been an older version though. Mine is a pleasant white floral with chypre references, made by Francis Kurkdjian.

Last week I wore Pierre Guillaume's Huiteme Art Vohina for the summery synch. It has notes of Lavender honey, peach blossom and hay. It's light and very pretty and lighthearted and not the kind of fragrance that I would usually go for I think, but I find it utterly irresistable. It maked me feel happy. My friend says that it smells like bubble gum but that's a load of old tosh. Phooey to him. It's gorgeous. Trust me!

I have an update on my pretty little purse bottle of Arpege. It seems all this hair color I've been putting on my head the last 30 or so years finally sunk in to my brain and I must have some damage from the dye. When looking more closely at the bottle I suddenly realized there is a clear plastic stopper over the top of the opening. Amazing what removing this before you apply the Arpege to the body does for making the fragrance actually have a scent not just a whiff of a scent. It really is lovely. That being said it only lasts an hour or so.

Before realizing I had not a clue about the stopper, I decided to order another vintage bottle of Arpege from e-bay. (What is it they say about people doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?) Anxious for it to get here. My luck with buying vintage is mixed but you won't know if you don't take a chance and this was not much $$.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Lol, Betsy, yes, it's amazing how much better the perfume smells when the stopper is removed! I have had the same experience with little plastic plugs in some older bottles. Doh! You feel like such a goof when you realize that you've been trying to splash it on while it's closed up!

Arpége is one of the greats for sure. Another excellent choice is Balmain- Ivoire. That's what I was going to wear but I forgot. I'll be wearing it today. It's tangy galbanum in all its glory. A bold statement for the 1950's woman.

Last edited by kumquat; 24th August 2014 at 05:04 PM.

Kumquat you make me feel better. I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has done this. Think I"ll go over to e-bay and see if I can find some Balmain Ivoire. It looks interesting.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile