Code of Conduct

Default Byredo Parfums - Need some help

This is one house I havent really tried....I think I might have sniffed Pulp once through a sample but Lucky Scent now has this line and a lot of it...My question to you guys is looking at my wardrobe and kind of knowing what I like, which one would you recommend for me? Base it on longevity, Sillage and compliments....Because unlike MOST BNers I LOVE compliments....I want something that smells good and will last and last....I don't really care if its boring...Just want it to smell great and something I can wear everyday to work but unique enough to be called "niche" even though by sheer definition this house is considered niche...

Thanks for your help guys !
    FOR SALE:

Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

Brecourt Esprit Mondain 1.7 oz.

Default Re: Byredo Parfums - Need some help

Tread with caution, and don't blind buy anything from this line. Luckyscent should be carrying them soon, so you can at least get samples pretty easy.

For me, the only one that's truly worthwhile is M/Mink. Baudelaire's okay, but the rest leave me wanting more. Although longevity and projection aren't that important to me, I'd say that the ones I've worn on my skin would disappoint anyone who values longevity etc. As far as compliment go, I've no idea. I'd certainly compliment myself in M/Mink.

Of the ones I've tried , the only one I personally found somewhat interesting and would recommend is the one you have already sampled - Pulp. How did you like that one?

(3625)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

My advice - avoid this line. I've sampled 8-10, and they were all average to terrible imo. Some were downright offensive. Oud Immortelle is one of the worst frags I've ever smelled.

Agree with deadidol. Tread with caution and sample before you buy. I really liked Bal D'Afrique of the several I've tried. Still want to sample Mr. Fantastic and Sunday Cologne, to be fair.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    My advice - avoid this line. I've sampled 8-10, and they were all average to terrible imo. Some were downright offensive. Oud Immortelle is one of the worst frags I've ever smelled.
    Yes, the immortelle ruined it. Otherwise, and wonderful Polo Green type fragrance. The immortelle skanked it up nicely.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Sunday Cologne
    This one's pretty good, but it's so far removed from the kind of stuff I like. It's very light and incandescent (by design) though. Gypsy Water has a similar ephemerality.

M/Mink all the way -- it smells like a sexy printer cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Tread with caution, and don't blind buy anything from this line. Luckyscent should be carrying them soon, so you can at least get samples pretty easy.

For me, the only one that's truly worthwhile is M/Mink. Baudelaire's okay, but the rest leave me wanting more. Although longevity and projection aren't that important to me, I'd say that the ones I've worn on my skin would disappoint anyone who values longevity etc. As far as compliment go, I've no idea. I'd certainly compliment myself in M/Mink.
    lol...Thanks dead...
    FOR SALE:

Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

Tread with caution
    This.

I tried Blanche, Bullion, Oud Immortel and Pulp.
    I can imagine some compliments on Pulp.
    But it's insanely strong. Sour. Sharp.
    Same with Oud Immortel, which is also a powerhouse.

Honestly, I would stay away from this house if you want compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Of the ones I've tried , the only one I personally found somewhat interesting and would recommend is the one you have already sampled - Pulp. How did you like that one?

(3625)
    It was OK hednic...but not my cup of tea....
    FOR SALE:

Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    It was OK hednic...but not my cup of tea....
    Pulp is horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I think I will take your advice hippo...for sure...
    FOR SALE:

Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

Pulp is horrid.
    bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Indeed....
    FOR SALE:

Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

well..Byredo is out...Anything else out there thats kind of new and unique, smells good and will last ?

I will give you a "for instance"...I bought two new scents last month that I had NEVER heard of on here...Im not looking anymore for the most popular, but there are some gems out there that are rarely mentioned on here OR someone maybe smelled this particular scent at Lucky Scent at the scent bar that is virtually unknown but smelled fantastic...A hidden "gem", if you will....I will give you some examples...

Ulrich Anvers
    Costume National Homme
    Profumi de Pantelleria Maestrale

These smell great and have harbored compliments and not mentioned much on the BN forums....I kinda like that a lot...lol
    Last edited by FSU92grad; 31st January 2014 at 02:03 AM.
    FOR SALE:

Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

M/Mink all the way -- it smells like a sexy printer cartridge.
    A sexy printer cartridge with sun-dries seafood and other fishy qualities.

Anything else out there thats kind of new and unique, smells good and will last ?
    Montecristo. The compliments never end in that one.

....which has the fecal opening of MKK.
    Described as "skanky" by alfarom.
    You must be trolling him, lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    You must be trolling him, lmao.
    Maybe a tad.

Best scent of 2013 for me though

Seriously.

serious ? You're not one for compliments...or care to receive them....You may get them anyway though with this one...Is that what you are saying
    FOR SALE:

Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

hmmm...read the notes, dead...Sounds more YOUR style...You like the fecal/animalistic scents....I'm no dummy...I want something not terribly safe but not god-awful either...lol...
    FOR SALE:

Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

hmmm...read the notes, dead...Sounds more YOUR style...You like the fecal/animalistic scents....I'm no dummy...I want something not terribly safe but not god-awful either...lol...
    So close

Miller Harris? DS & Durga? Agonist? Phaedon? Nu_Be? Santa Maria Novella?
    Last edited by deadidol; 31st January 2014 at 02:30 AM.

So close

Miller Harris? DS & Durga? Agonist? Phaedon? Nu_Be?
    Nu_Be? meh....Miller Harris, DS & Durga, Agonist, Phaedon ....which ones with the house would you suggest ? They have a ton !
    Last edited by deadidol; 31st January 2014 at 02:33 AM.
    FOR SALE:

Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

Nu_Be? meh....Miller Harris, DS & Durga, Agonist, Phaedon ....which ones with the house would you suggest ? They have a ton !
    (Sorry -- accidentally edited rather than quoted you right now.)

I'd dig through the notes of those lines and see what jumps out. Those are just a handful of some gentler aesthetics that might speak to you.

My personal favorite from Byredo include Pulp and Bal d'Afrique. I get average longevity on both of these.

(Sorry -- accidentally edited rather than quoted you right now.)

I'd dig through the notes of those lines and see what jumps out. Those are just a handful of some gentler aesthetics that might speak to you.
    Thanks Dead...I will check them out...Look very interesting and solid for me...
    FOR SALE:

Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rose Noir is one I like..
    Projects well..
    Unisex but is a tad more feminine..

I was going to say Baudelaire, but...

Yeah, Byredo was a disappointment for me as well. They DO make a few nice fragrances, but lots of duds. And of those I like, most have short longevity. And I find it a bit ridiculous to call one "Accord Oud" and not provide much of an oud impression. Better to have called it "Accord Ord". But if I had just one Byredo to pick it would be Baudelaire. I've seen a lot of good reviews on Green, but my brief sample was a little too sweet and convoluted for my taste.

Basenotes Junkie

Just to weigh in on Byredo, I tried most of the line over the Winter. Out of the bunch, I really like Oud Immortel, Oud Accord and Baudelaire. Couple of others were OK.

I purchased Oud Immortel and Baudelaire. Been wearing them for a couple of months and no regrets.

Byredo has some challenging fragrances for sure. There are a couple that you might consider sampling. They are Encens Chembur and Gypsy Water. As was noted, sample these first. They are an acquired taste. If you want to smell like buttered popcorn try Buillon(yikes!)

Of the other houses, please try to sample from D.S. & Durga. My favourite is the incredible Burning Barbershop.

I purchased Fantastic Man (now Sunday Cologne) a few years back for £75 + Pulp and Bal D'Afrique for the same price. They are all about £135 now and since then nothing special from them

Check out a little range called 4160 Tuesdays if you can. They all range from good to excellent and aren't expensive. All created and boxed by a self-starter from her home in West London. It's just like the old punk days

Whatever you do don't blindbuy from this house.

Dreadful, very similar perfumes - all with a weird metallic house note. They're all composed by one guy ...and it shows.

I posted yesterday(discount market) a special pack for $55.00usd available at LS to be had if you want venture in to this house....enjoy
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Well, lots of people don't like Byredo and that is the way it should be, because Byredo dares to be different. They remind me of back in my "art gallery" days when we had a show of new very postmodern art and people would walk in and say "what's that supposed to look like?". Byredo is modern art in fragrance - they are Swedish after all. The only one of their fragrances that tries to repeat a tried and true pathway is Sunday Cologne and it is a good one for a safe nice cologne. But, I encourage you to not toss the line aside so easily. I like almost everything they do, but they are very different so you have to have an open mind when trying them out.

My favorite in the line is M/Mink. You might like it if like patchouli and subtle woods. They use a chemical called adoxal in many fragrances which has a peculiar fresh but sour note.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    A sexy printer cartridge with sun-dries seafood and other fishy qualities.
    +1 I sprayed it on @ Barneys New York and wanted to run away from the scent. It's interesting and different, for sure, but not my cup of tea.
    I blind-bought two from DS & Durga (Burning Barbershop and Bowmakers) and like both of them - especially BB. There's a few others from the line that I'd like to try.

I remember quite enjoying M/Mink when I wore it from a sample a few years ago. Never got a fish vibe from it at all, but certainly honey, incense, and an office-like chemical note (which I find pleasant). In fact, it smelled more of ink or office supplies than Odeur 71 does to me (another one I do like). I admire this one for being so different.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    because Byredo dares to be different. They remind me of back in my "art gallery" days when we had a show of new very postmodern art and people would walk in and say "what's that supposed to look like?". Byredo is modern art in fragrance - they are Swedish after all.
    To me, they're actually more pedestrian. I don't think it's any secret that I lean toward super-weird / obscure / art stuff, but I don't get that from anything other than M/Mink in this line. Maybe Bullion. I still have a weird respect for the line, but to me they're a bit snoozy. Perhaps I'm due to revisit?

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I remember quite enjoying M/Mink when I wore it from a sample a few years ago. Never got a fish vibe from it at all, but certainly honey, incense, and an office-like chemical note (which I find pleasant). In fact, it smelled more of ink or office supplies than Odeur 71 does to me (another one I do like). I admire this one for being so different.
    Yeah, nothing fishy for me either -- straight up office-supplies. Very CdG, very edgy, and very unique. I love it, but I couldn't wear it often.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Well, lots of people don't like Byredo and that is the way it should be, because Byredo dares to be different. They remind me of back in my "art gallery" days when we had a show of new very postmodern art and people would walk in and say "what's that supposed to look like?". Byredo is modern art in fragrance - they are Swedish after all. The only one of their fragrances that tries to repeat a tried and true pathway is Sunday Cologne and it is a good one for a safe nice cologne. But, I encourage you to not toss the line aside so easily. I like almost everything they do, but they are very different so you have to have an open mind when trying them out.

My favorite in the line is M/Mink. You might like it if like patchouli and subtle woods. They use a chemical called adoxal in many fragrances which has a peculiar fresh but sour note.
    I agree!

I own Accord Oud but I like many others from this line... My next full bottle will be "1996"

Get the sample pack!

For me Bullion is the best from this house. Plum (I'm a sucker for plum), leather, osmanthus with musc, some wood and spices. Lasts a good 8 hours for me. Not for everyone but certainly worth a sniff.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Blog Entries

l think La Tulipe is beautiful, but l guess some might find it too "feminine"...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Byredo has some challenging fragrances for sure.
    Challenging? I didn't get that at all. I didn't try ones like M/Mink, so maybe I missed the challenging ones (I sampled about 7). Composition wise I wasn't turned off by the ones that didn't appeal to me, just uninspired or underwhelmed. The ones that appealed to me are Baudelaire, Accord Oud and Oud Immortel. I didn't try Green or Bullion, but I've heard very good things about them and plan to sample next time.
    Last edited by cytherian; 31st January 2014 at 10:01 PM.

I've sampled Byredo 1996 in store, and it is very nice amber/leather/iris combo. SA said that its their best selling Byredo and ladies buy it because even IT crowd compliments them when they wear it lol... It was also my favourite one during that sampling day (and I've tried Back To Black By Kilian, Clive Christian X, Commo Des Garcons Hinoki, Histories de Parfums Ambre 114, and many I dont even remember). Good stuff that is definitely unisex (and IMO slightly more masculine).
    Last edited by dreamer81; 18th February 2014 at 12:29 PM.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996