Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Sample of the Day - January 2014

Today is Interlude Woman. I get citrus briefly in the opening, then the helichrysum note. That note stuck around for a while, but now I am getting some wood (sandalwood?) and honey. I don't smell any flowers at all. It's no sillage monster, but for longevity it seems to be hanging around longer than the short-lived Epic did on me.

Blog Entries

Today l tried Attrape-Coeur by Guerlain.

The opening is fruity on my skin, but in a retro style, with milky, peachy lactones dominating. l can see the oft-mentioned resemblance to Mitsouko here, but this is warmer, friendlier, less aloof. lt quickly settles into a creamy floral accord; l find the individual florals difficult to pick out, but they are underscored by sandalwood & a little vanilla. After a couple of hours, there's a touch of ambergris & moss, but these notes are very subtle; the creamy florals & sweet sandalwood dominate right to the end. After four hours, the scent lies very close to the skin, & fades completely after eight hours.

This is a very pretty fragrance, & much sweeter than l expected. For me it's kind of a more grown-up & sophisticated version of the fruity florals that are popular with very young girls these days. lt's nice, but l'm not sure it's quite me.
    Last edited by teardrop; 1st March 2014 at 03:33 PM.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Today l tried White Shoulders by Evyan. l don't remember ever seeing or hearing of this one until l began searching online for tuberose/ gardenia perfumes in 2008, when it seemed to come up a lot in various blogs. l finally got around to getting a sample from STC.

The initial phase is an indolic jasmine & tuberose, very similar IMO to Crabtree & Evelyn's Gardenia; perhaps a touch more powdery. After thirty minutes, it settles into a prettier, but still sultry white floral, & in the heart l smell something like honeysuckle. The base is sweetly animalic, with musk, amber & a little sandalwood. lt's still going softly after six hours.

A likeable fragrance, not as innocent as it appears, but still a little too "pretty" in the drydown for my personal taste.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Volutes by Diptyque
    Very subtle iris and tobacco scent..
    No projection at all from 5 squirts..
    Luckily I only have a sample..

Sampling Tom Ford for Men. A very light fragrance on me. Some citrus, musk, and slight woody notes. Not impressed.

I haven't really found stand out fragrances from this house besides Sahara Noir and Black Orchid.

I bought Sahara Noir last night and the sales associate gave me a partial bottle of Tom Ford Men. I would not buy this.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Banned
    Blog Entries

Check out Tobacco Vanille and Noir De Noir if you have not Rev..

Banned
    Blog Entries

1 Million Intense is based on saffron..
    Some leather and amber accords but mainly saffron which is a big improvement from the original..
    I enjoy it and may get a FB..

Today I'm sampling Puredistance M. Nice, leathery, spicy, honey.

By Killian Forbidden Games

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Check out Tobacco Vanille and Noir De Noir if you have not Rev..
    I have not tried Noir de Noir. Tobacco Vanille was not that exciting to me. I haven't really found a dominate tobacco scent I absolutely love.

I tested Tom Ford Extreme last night. It was more enjoyable than Tom Ford Men but still not bottle worthy. The projection was weak but longevity was pretty good into the morning. There was something in the beginning of it that reminded me of Davidoff. I mostly got leather, citrus, a little spice and patchouli. I do not see the resemblance to Black Orchid as multiple reviews stated.

I had a friend from church sample it today and he took the rest of the sample. I guess he really enjoyed it. I'll sample it another time to see if my thoughts change.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Banned
    Blog Entries

Creed Royal Water-I had a Bottle years ago and just found a sample..
    Very one dimensional Lemon and something else infused scent..
    Just like I remember- I hate it!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Phaedon Pure Azure- close to Fleur Du Male but not as floral- a bit less loud and more tame..
    Basically a more mature version but nothing special..
    Fig is more prominent

Blog Entries

Today l tried Beige by Chanel Les Exclusifs. l was inspired to try this one by the lovely Evangeline, who calls it "Beach Chanel".

ln the vial, l get a strong whiff of springtime from the freesia note. On my skin, this note is less evident. After the aldehydes burn off, the fragrance settles into a very soft, white, slightly tropical floral. lt's hard to pick the floral notes apart, but if pressed, l'd say that the tropical feel must be coming from the frangipani note. l wait in anticipation for the hawthorn note that's meant to be here, (l love the smell of hawthorn, which blooms in hedgerows all over the English countryside in May, & is also known as May blossom) but to my disappointment that rich, earthy, animalic scent never appears. Neither does the honey note that many reviewers mention. lt all fades to a creamy, vanillic base, just detectable after eight hours.

Another "pretty" fragrance this, & yet again, one that l think l might enjoy more in spring or summer. lt's interesting to see Chanel trying to do a tropical fragrance, even if the projection is rather poor, at least in cold weather.