Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - January 2014

Kicking off a new year of sampling with one l've been meaning to try for some time; Bois des Isles by Chanel Les Exclusifs.

This is a fragrance of creamy woods, from start to finish. ln the opening l get a slightly "off" note, which may just be the way my nose interprets the aldehydes. After half an hour, though, this note subsides, leaving a sublimely creamy, sweet sandalwood, with just a touch of spice. Any floral notes are extremely subtle here. There is a rather edible, biscuit-like accord in the base.

l find this fragrance very soft & close to the skin, but it's still going after seven hours. l would like more projection, but l can see why it gets such high praise around here; this is possibly the loveliest, purest sandalwood l have smelled anywhere. l will be decanting my sample into a spray vial, & l look forward to seeing if spraying gives it a little more throw.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Default Re: Sample of the Day - January 2014

Thanks for starting the thread, teardrop - it sounds interesting!

I'm attempting to repeat sample Ambre Muscadin, from LM Parfums - although the dog keeps trying to lick it off.
    It has a lovely violet in with the cedar & vetiver, a great dry down with benzoin & amber but the middle has quite a bit of vanilla which is something to think about - it's good quality 'though, no nasty surprises lurking around.

Basenotes Plus

Trying Amouage Lyric Woman again as I was unimpressed the first time. Once again, I get the bergamot opening with a little incense, which grows into a rose, but this scent is not what I expect from an Amouage. It's quite light, with very little sillage or projection. It's pretty and inoffensive but I suspect there are far more wondrous rose scents available (the house of Les Parfums de Rosine comes to mind). I hear that the previous formulation was more in line with the older Amouage aesthetic. My sample was obtained in October 2013 from Amouage.

Trying Tom Ford Sahara Noir again today. I just get burning frankincense with beeswax. I don't get the cinnamon or other notes some have mentioned. Even though its a pretty simplistic fragrance I really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Kicking off a new year of sampling with one l've been meaning to try for some time; Bois des Isles by Chanel Les Exclusifs...this is possibly the loveliest, purest sandalwood l have smelled anywhere. l will be decanting my sample into a spray vial, & l look forward to seeing if spraying gives it a little more throw.
    Thanks for the description, teardrop. Do you think it's better than KM's Bois de Santal, if you've tried it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Thanks for the description, teardrop. Do you think it's better than KM's Bois de Santal, if you've tried it?
    You're welcome, ScentFan! Sorry but no, l haven't tried that one. l'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you get a chance to compare them.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hey ScentFan! If you are looking to explore a few sandalwood fragrances, then Bois des Iles needs to be on your list. I am hugely biased here, because Bois des Iles is my number 1 fragrance, but it is almost a standard for sandalwood. Even the current EDT brings along the lovely note about as close as you can get today. The florals are present, but the most striking one to me is the Chanel iris, another trademark for Chanel. Try the parfum for the fullest experience, albeit pricey. Totally worth it though.

By comparison, Bois de Santal by KM offers a very faint sandalwood and cedar note if I recall correctly, and is overall a few faint and soft fragrance. I my humble opinion, it offers no comparison at all really. One is the benchmark, and the second is a pleasant soft interpretation.

Teardrop, lovely writeup! Glad you enjoyed this one! Yes, spraying will get you a little better projection, but the EDT is no sillage monster. I agree though that the longevity is pretty good. I get about 8 to 10 hours of soft loveliness. Most often I layer EDT and parfum.
    Last edited by cello; 6th January 2014 at 12:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks, cello! ln the end it lasted around ten hours on me too, so yes, no problems with the longevity.

I am wearing Dior Addict today as I continue wearing my wardrobe in alphabetical order.

Banned
    Blog Entries

In The City of Sin By Kilian ..
    I feel it's unisex but projection is not what I expected

Trying out Naomi Goodsir BdA today for the 2nd time. What a unique experience! I mostly get wet wood from this, not really incense. While I wouldn't wear it daily, it sure is different in a good way.

Trying out Bois 1920 "sushi imperiale"
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Both the Chanel and Keiko are very lovely but both suffer badly regarding sillage and basically 'oomph'

O Des Soupirs from LM Parfums (possibly, in common with Ambre Muscadin & Patchouly Boheme, composed by the late Mona di Orio).

A rather plasticy floral at the moment, although the Ambre is my favourite of the three and on my 'to buy' list, together with the new Hard Leather which is very striking indeed, quite austere at times with cistus and incense, the spicy, leathery rum abetted by woods and honey.

I didn't expect to enjoy wearing Hard Leather, having purchased a mini purely out of interest but it is an interesting one - to me anyway and again with no nasty surprises.
    Last edited by lpp; 6th January 2014 at 06:10 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Working my way through the Amouage sample set, today I'm trying Epic Woman. The initial note of pepper was lovely, but was quite quickly subsumed beneath something that resembled pine (must be the balsam). A little incense followed. Now, 4 hours later, I can barely smell it. It's a nice warm fragrance on a cold day but not FBW for me.

Blog Entries

Great to see so many contributors here, keep 'em coming, folks!

Today l tried Vega by Guerlain. This one was recommended to me way back when l first de-lurked here, but l only just got around to getting a sample.

This one opens with sparkling aldehydes, with only a vague hint off the "off" note that l sometimes get from them. They hover over an ethereal, bright & soapy floral accord; mainly ylang ylang & jasmine, to my nose. There is a fleeting impression of indoles, before it all settles into a soft, creamy, tropical floral with a touch of vanilla. lt puts me in mind of a lighter, more luminous version of Mahora. Where Mahora is loud, proud & (some might say) a little vulgar though, this one is rather more elegant & aloof. As the scent progresses, l get whiffs of something very slightly salty, perhaps ambergris or maybe some moss? l also get something like old-fashioned face cream. Four hours in, it settles very close to the skin, but doesn't fade completely until ten hours have passed.

This is a very beautiful fragrance, but l have to say, l think Mahora is more my style. l think it might work better for me on a pretty spring day though, so l will come back to it then.
    Last edited by teardrop; 7th January 2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Typo!

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I am wearing Dior Addict today as I continue wearing my wardrobe in alphabetical order.
    Oops! I thought this was Scent of the Day.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    Working my way through the Amouage sample set, today I'm trying Epic Woman. The initial note of pepper was lovely, but was quite quickly subsumed beneath something that resembled pine (must be the balsam). A little incense followed. Now, 4 hours later, I can barely smell it. It's a nice warm fragrance on a cold day but not FBW for me.
    Gosh, my bottle was purchased when it was launched & it has fantastic longevity - and loads of frankincense.
    It's one that really needs light application...
    Last edited by lpp; 7th January 2014 at 09:47 AM.

Kicking off a new year of sampling with one l've been meaning to try for some time; Bois des Isles by Chanel Les Exclusifs.

This is a fragrance of creamy woods, from start to finish. ln the opening l get a slightly "off" note, which may just be the way my nose interprets the aldehydes. After half an hour, though, this note subsides, leaving a sublimely creamy, sweet sandalwood, with just a touch of spice. Any floral notes are extremely subtle here. There is a rather edible, biscuit-like accord in the base.

l find this fragrance very soft & close to the skin, but it's still going after seven hours. l would like more projection, but l can see why it gets such high praise around here; this is possibly the loveliest, purest sandalwood l have smelled anywhere. l will be decanting my sample into a spray vial, & l look forward to seeing if spraying gives it a little more throw.
    Now try the Parfum version and suddenly those pastel water colours become much richer and brighter. I just bought the EDT over Christmas, but the pure parfum version is a completely different story.

Love your sample of the day threadsTeardrop! Hope to be able to drop in.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    Trying out Naomi Goodsir BdA today for the 2nd time. What a unique experience! I mostly get wet wood from this, not really incense. While I wouldn't wear it daily, it sure is different in a good way.
    I love this one, very unique. I get smokey campfire in the opening I think that might be the Somalian incense.

Joining in the sampling fun this evening. I sound be working but, oh well. It's a battle of the skanks vintage Bal a Versaille vs. ELDO’s Putain des Palaces.

PdP the florals give way rather quickly to powder and leather, it’s new trying to be vintage, but kudos it’s not doing to bad a job. Drys down to powdery woody scent on me, maybe a little suggestive nothing I couldn't conceivably wear to Sunday lunch with the family.

BaV opens with a cacophony of notes the ones I can catch are jasmine off the top supported by carnation and and rose. Some of the florals together create an accord reminiscent to the oleander flower. I then get something akin to the smell of varnish come through along with a resinous incense note, this phase is very short-lived before the beautiful civet laced dry down. On me it’s warm amber, musky, powdery with hints of almond and of spice (clove?), the civet is now very much in the background having been throughly tamed by my skin. BaV is a full on assault that somehow works and arranges itself into one very sexy cosy number and I love it.

If PdP is the scent of a high class call girl then BaV is the legendary Madame, she still regions supreme. On me PdP lasted just a bit longer but for sheer pleasure of the ride, vintage BaV wins hands down.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Banned
    Blog Entries

Phaedon Tabac Rouge- a dead ringer for Tom Ford's TV..
    At least it is cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Thanks for starting the thread, teardrop - it sounds interesting!

I'm attempting to repeat sample Ambre Muscadin, from LM Parfums - although the dog keeps trying to lick it off.
    It has a lovely violet in with the cedar & vetiver, a great dry down with benzoin & amber but the middle has quite a bit of vanilla which is something to think about - it's good quality 'though, no nasty surprises lurking around.
    It's one of the tamer ones in the line and agree with you on the dry down.

(2747)
    Last edited by hednic; 7th January 2014 at 02:34 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Sampling Tom Ford Black Orchid today even though my nose is stuffy. I can see why this is marketed at a lot of Men's fragrance counters.

On me it is not overly sweet and has nice floral notes. The floral notes in it remind me a lot of Opus III which I really like and is on my want list. The chocolate is not very strong but is noticeable. I'm having a hard time picking up on the fruits that other reviews mentioned.

It seems like a crowd pleaser in my office. I think it would be even better to change the chocolate note to less sweet and add some heavier spices.

With reviews saying Charriol Royal Gold is very similar to Black Orchid but a little variation I might go for a blind buy.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Now try the Parfum version and suddenly those pastel water colours become much richer and brighter. I just bought the EDT over Christmas, but the pure parfum version is a completely different story.
    Thanks, Duke. l hear that the parfum wears much closer to the skin, though. ls this true, because l do like my fragrance to project quite a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Love your sample of the day threadsTeardrop! Hope to be able to drop in.
    Thanks, Foustie! Although, strictly speaking, it's not "my" thread; anyone can start it each month, just like the SOTD threads. Hope to see you again here soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    I love this one, very unique. I get smokey campfire in the opening I think that might be the Somalian incense.

Joining in the sampling fun this evening. I sound be working but, oh well. It's a battle of the skanks vintage Bal a Versaille vs. ELDO’s Putain des Palaces.

PdP the florals give way rather quickly to powder and leather, it’s new trying to be vintage, but kudos it’s not doing to bad a job. Drys down to powdery woody scent on me, maybe a little suggestive nothing I couldn't conceivably wear to Sunday lunch with the family.

BaV opens with a cacophony of notes the ones I can catch are jasmine off the top supported by carnation and and rose. Some of the florals together create an accord reminiscent to the oleander flower. I then get something akin to the smell of varnish come through along with a resinous incense note, this phase is very short-lived before the beautiful civet laced dry down. On me it’s warm amber, musky, powdery with hints of almond and of spice (clove?), the civet is now very much in the background having been throughly tamed by my skin. BaV is a full on assault that somehow works and arranges itself into one very sexy cosy number and I love it.

If PdP is the scent of a high class call girl then BaV is the legendary Madame, she still regions supreme. On me PdP lasted just a bit longer but for sheer pleasure of the ride, vintage BaV wins hands down.
    Thanks Xscent for this comparison. l think it was freddie who recommended PdP to me a while back; l might need to try it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post

It seems like a crowd pleaser in my office.
    What Black Orchid??? You work with some gentle souls my friend

I find it uncategorisable -- it's sure some weird twisted piece of work imo

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Gosh, my bottle was purchased when it was launched & it has fantastic longevity - and loads of frankincense.
    It's one that really needs light application...
    Ipp, I was so disappointed. I expect Amouages to last a lot longer.

Last night I sampled Memoir Woman. Initially, my thought was "YES! A big, stonking, rush of spice and incense and leather!" Just my cup of tea as a fan of the '80s monsters. Longevity was great, at least 8 hours, but in the late drydown there was something that I didn't like--maybe the wormwood or the fenugreek? It smelled sour on me. I'll keep trying until the sample is gone because I really like it for most of the day.

Today is Honour Woman which is a white floral blend, initially a jasmine on me. It smells good but nothing special. I don't know about longevity yet, but it's much lighter than Lyric, Epic, or Memoir.

The older ones used to last very well, foxbins but ingredient regulation has probably not been very helpful to them in recent years.

Tonight I'm sampling Parfumerie Generale Indochine. Whenever I get into my sample box I smell this but for whatever reason haven't given it a real testing.

Indochine is a pretty simplistic fragrance to my nose. I get honey, cardamom, a little powder, and spices. It does seem to be on the weaker side with projection and sillage. Even though it seems simplistic and linear something about it is mesmerizing.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Thanks, Duke. l hear that the parfum wears much closer to the skin, though. ls this true, because l do like my fragrance to project quite a bit?

Thanks, Foustie! Although, strictly speaking, it's not "my" thread; anyone can start it each month, just like the SOTD threads. Hope to see you again here soon!

Thanks Xscent for this comparison. l think it was freddie who recommended PdP to me a while back; l might need to try it now!
    My pleasure teardrop, any excuse to break out some skank and re read lMdM review of BaV . Do try it and share your thoughts. It was probably not a fair contest pitting PdP up against vintage and something as profoundly beautiful as BaV. Itís like comparing the reputation of Dita von Teese against the legend that is Cora Pearl.

Do try the parfum of Bois de Iles, it does stick closer to the body as most parfums do. It layers wonderfully with the EdT so you still get the throw. I wear the parfum to bed quite often with a spritz of EdT in the hair as the soft wafts are all I really need at that time.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Basenotes Plus

Today is Interlude Woman. I get citrus briefly in the opening, then the helichrysum note. That note stuck around for a while, but now I am getting some wood (sandalwood?) and honey. I don't smell any flowers at all. It's no sillage monster, but for longevity it seems to be hanging around longer than the short-lived Epic did on me.

Blog Entries

Today l tried Attrape-Coeur by Guerlain.

The opening is fruity on my skin, but in a retro style, with milky, peachy lactones dominating. l can see the oft-mentioned resemblance to Mitsouko here, but this is warmer, friendlier, less aloof. lt quickly settles into a creamy floral accord; l find the individual florals difficult to pick out, but they are underscored by sandalwood & a little vanilla. After a couple of hours, there's a touch of ambergris & moss, but these notes are very subtle; the creamy florals & sweet sandalwood dominate right to the end. After four hours, the scent lies very close to the skin, & fades completely after eight hours.

This is a very pretty fragrance, & much sweeter than l expected. For me it's kind of a more grown-up & sophisticated version of the fruity florals that are popular with very young girls these days. lt's nice, but l'm not sure it's quite me.
    Last edited by teardrop; 1st March 2014 at 03:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Today l tried White Shoulders by Evyan. l don't remember ever seeing or hearing of this one until l began searching online for tuberose/ gardenia perfumes in 2008, when it seemed to come up a lot in various blogs. l finally got around to getting a sample from STC.

The initial phase is an indolic jasmine & tuberose, very similar IMO to Crabtree & Evelyn's Gardenia; perhaps a touch more powdery. After thirty minutes, it settles into a prettier, but still sultry white floral, & in the heart l smell something like honeysuckle. The base is sweetly animalic, with musk, amber & a little sandalwood. lt's still going softly after six hours.

A likeable fragrance, not as innocent as it appears, but still a little too "pretty" in the drydown for my personal taste.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Volutes by Diptyque
    Very subtle iris and tobacco scent..
    No projection at all from 5 squirts..
    Luckily I only have a sample..

Sampling Tom Ford for Men. A very light fragrance on me. Some citrus, musk, and slight woody notes. Not impressed.

I haven't really found stand out fragrances from this house besides Sahara Noir and Black Orchid.

I bought Sahara Noir last night and the sales associate gave me a partial bottle of Tom Ford Men. I would not buy this.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Check out Tobacco Vanille and Noir De Noir if you have not Rev..

Banned
    Blog Entries

1 Million Intense is based on saffron..
    Some leather and amber accords but mainly saffron which is a big improvement from the original..
    I enjoy it and may get a FB..

Today I'm sampling Puredistance M. Nice, leathery, spicy, honey.

By Killian Forbidden Games

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Check out Tobacco Vanille and Noir De Noir if you have not Rev..
    I have not tried Noir de Noir. Tobacco Vanille was not that exciting to me. I haven't really found a dominate tobacco scent I absolutely love.

I tested Tom Ford Extreme last night. It was more enjoyable than Tom Ford Men but still not bottle worthy. The projection was weak but longevity was pretty good into the morning. There was something in the beginning of it that reminded me of Davidoff. I mostly got leather, citrus, a little spice and patchouli. I do not see the resemblance to Black Orchid as multiple reviews stated.

I had a friend from church sample it today and he took the rest of the sample. I guess he really enjoyed it. I'll sample it another time to see if my thoughts change.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Creed Royal Water-I had a Bottle years ago and just found a sample..
    Very one dimensional Lemon and something else infused scent..
    Just like I remember- I hate it!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Phaedon Pure Azure- close to Fleur Du Male but not as floral- a bit less loud and more tame..
    Basically a more mature version but nothing special..
    Fig is more prominent

Blog Entries

Today l tried Beige by Chanel Les Exclusifs. l was inspired to try this one by the lovely Evangeline, who calls it "Beach Chanel".

ln the vial, l get a strong whiff of springtime from the freesia note. On my skin, this note is less evident. After the aldehydes burn off, the fragrance settles into a very soft, white, slightly tropical floral. lt's hard to pick the floral notes apart, but if pressed, l'd say that the tropical feel must be coming from the frangipani note. l wait in anticipation for the hawthorn note that's meant to be here, (l love the smell of hawthorn, which blooms in hedgerows all over the English countryside in May, & is also known as May blossom) but to my disappointment that rich, earthy, animalic scent never appears. Neither does the honey note that many reviewers mention. lt all fades to a creamy, vanillic base, just detectable after eight hours.

Another "pretty" fragrance this, & yet again, one that l think l might enjoy more in spring or summer. lt's interesting to see Chanel trying to do a tropical fragrance, even if the projection is rather poor, at least in cold weather.