Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 69
  1. #31
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    10,091
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    It seems as if they may know something we don't. Maybe it's easy to hack into utility bills and find social security numbers. Who knows?

  2. #32
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,219

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    kumquat, I get phone calls or e-mails quite often from my credit card companies when purchasing overseas. I do not find it unusual for them to call me. Their transaction systems pick it up as unusual or suspicious activity. It is a safeguard for both them and myself. Many times I will call the credit card company in advance to let them know of an overseas purchase so they can notate it in thier systems to avoid the e-mail or phone call.

    In regards to strawberry.net, ask the members in Asia or South Pacific what they feel about them, their service and validity. You will find they have a very positive following.

    The reason they are asking for some sort of ID is the same reason the CC companies may flag an unusual purchase, to protect themselves.

    Even in the US, you sometimes have to provide a utility bill to prove who you are and that you are indeed the person living at that address, so I do not find this unusual.

    What I find unusual, is the CC company telling me they will freeze my account if I do not cancel what was a legitimate purchase.

  3. #33
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    111,239

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    What I find unusual, is the CC company telling me they will freeze my account if I do not cancel what was a legitimate purchase.
    Wow -that does sound a bit extreme.

    (3036)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  4. #34
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    10,091
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Truly, the only time I've ever had to provide a utility bill was when I went to get my driver's license renewed. I have, however , had my CC number stolen. The CC co called and questioned us about a suspiciously large charge- out of state. I'm glad they did because it wasn't us and it was a state we've never set foot in. Maybe the CC co has some problem with this transaction and they need to freeze it for some reason.

  5. #35
    Dependent canuck21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Strawberry net ended up cancelling my order and so this whole thing is pretty much done with now. The CC was just being extra cautious I presume, but I still just find it weird that Strawberry net asked for a utility bill or if I wanted to then a picture of my passport or drivers license to show I'm the legitimate buyer would apparently be fine, which I think is absurd.

    I don't doubt many of you had a good experience with them, and that's great but I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially since this was my first attempt from ordering with them, seemed fishy to me and so did my CC company. In the end, it's not a big deal really, it's not some grand purchase being made here where this was my only way of obtaining the product, I'll find Egoiste elsewhere. I was simply stating my first encounter with Stawberry net, seeing that this is a thread dedicated to the websites legitimacy, I thought I'd share some info and see what you all thought.

    Thanks for the responses folks.

  6. #36
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    10,091
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    That is certainly weird. It sounds like they are just going koo-koo for Cocoa Puffs over there. Sure, it's perfectly reasonable to fax them a picture of your passport picture....if you're adopting a child, maybe! Wow!

  7. #37

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Utility bill would provide address verification, e.g. they are shipping the product to you and not someone else. Most companies have to eat any fraudulent charges and maybe Strawberrynet has been bitten a lot lately.

  8. #38
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    10,091
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    It seems odd though, all my billing information and CC info is linked. If it is different because I'm sending a gift, maybe that's another issue. This verification, though doesn't really add up. It's the bank's problem, isn't it? And they put verification numbers on the cards for that reason.

  9. #39

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    It seems odd though, all my billing information and CC info is linked. If it is different because I'm sending a gift, maybe that's another issue. This verification, though doesn't really add up. It's the bank's problem, isn't it? And they put verification numbers on the cards for that reason.
    Evidently, it's not the bank's problem, as it seems they've been passing the buck to the retailer (in this case strawberrynet). They've just lost canuck21's business because of this, do you think they want to have to perform address verification? Their hand has been forced.

    When a credit card is defrauded, all the info that is linked to the card goes along with it. That's why strawberrynet has to verify your address through another source i.e. a drivers license, utility bill etc.

    If you owned a business that was constantly losing money to credit card fraud, wouldn't you want to put something in place to protect yourself from that? There's nothing koo-koo or unreasonable about it. It's actually very easy to understand why they do this.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 15th January 2014 at 03:57 AM.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

  10. #40

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Their prices in sterling are a joke. RRP is actually cheap compared to what they are charging for say Serge Lutens. Example £100+ when I can buy it in my local House of Fraser for £68!

    I only ordered once way back and used the US version and it was make up which worked out cheaper. But on a few beauty boards people reported the MAC make up was fake. After that most stopped buying MAC from them.
    DONNA

  11. #41
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    10,091
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Evidently, it's not the bank's problem, as it seems they've been passing the buck to the retailer (in this case strawberrynet). They've just lost canuck21's business because of this, do you think they want to have to perform address verification? Their hand has been forced.

    When a credit card is defrauded, all the info that is linked to the card goes along with it. That's why strawberrynet has to verify your address through another source i.e. a drivers license, utility bill etc.

    If you owned a business that was constantly losing money to credit card fraud, wouldn't you want to put something in place to protect yourself from that? There's nothing koo-koo or unreasonable about it. It's actually very easy to understand why they do this.
    I thought Credit Cards were supposed to be convenient forms of credit for the card holders. So what if I'm traveling? Now every time I want to use my card am I supposed to have a recent utility bill or a current passport to show? Access to a fax machine so I can charge on the Internet?

    It seems unlikely that a Credit Card thief would buy an item and ship it to the Card holder's address. Naturally they would ship to a different address. Wouldn't that be a red flag?
    Last edited by kumquat; 15th January 2014 at 02:48 PM.

  12. #42
    Dependent canuck21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Jive, I see your point and understand that being a relatively small company results in taking measures that ensures a safe and legitimate transaction. But I do think having to provide something like a passport, driver's licence or utility bill is a bit absurd, regardless of what one thinks, it's personal information that is being given about my identity and or personal life. It's a purchase of a fragrance here folks. I don't hold blame the CC company here in this case, they were simply being cautious and I appreciate that as I thought that was strange when Strawberry net sent me that email. Strange though that no one else has seen a similar experience here.

  13. #43

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Fair enough Canuck! I apologize for the tone of my previous comments. I hope you find a bottle of Egoiste elsewhere from a company you're comfortable dealing with. I actually got an authentic tester bottle on eBay a couple years back.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

  14. #44
    Dependent canuck21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    All good Jive you were just stating your case! I actually found a Canadian website selling Egoiste with free shipping so I think I'll give them a try. I was thinking Ebay also but maybe next time

  15. #45

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Once again, love this site because I was just considering using Strawberry.net for a purchase. Will post results

  16. #46
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    10,091
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Revisiting this conversation, I have made some purchases elsewhere. I have always simply used my credit card without a hitch or Paypal. These are sites like; ​Lusciuos Cargo, LuckyScent, & Creed.

  17. #47
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    111,239

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Revisiting this conversation, I have made some purchases elsewhere. I have always simply used my credit card without a hitch or Paypal. These are sites like; ​Lusciuos Cargo, LuckyScent, & Creed.
    What's important is that you feel comfortable
    with your credit transactions so it's good that you shop at places that put your mind at ease.

    (3518)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  18. #48

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    For me it is 100% trustworthy, never had a problem. All my orders were original and in good packaging.
    I ordered a lot of times cosmetics and perfumes as well, and always was lovely experience.

  19. #49
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    10,091
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Koky View Post
    For me it is 100% trustworthy, never had a problem. All my orders were original and in good packaging.
    I ordered a lot of times cosmetics and perfumes as well, and always was lovely experience.
    And this just happens to be your first and only post? Pardon me while I do business elsewhere.

  20. #50

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    In 2004 I bought a few fragrances from str.net which did not create problems. Soon after, they stopped shipping to Germany. I blame this to some awkward stipulations in our import law concerning dangerous goods. So far, I can accept this. But whenever I want to visit their website, I get a message window "access denied".

    From their ads I can, however, see the prices they take for the diverse perfumes. They strike me very often as ridiculously high. If I bought the scents with local retailers, they were cheaper.

    So all in all I find them rather fishy.
    Currently wearing: Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

  21. #51

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    And this just happens to be your first and only post? Pardon me while I do business elsewhere.
    Yes, It was my first because I am a new member here, but it will not be my only post dear.
    I just commented on the topic from my experiment and of course all are free to order from any other site.

  22. #52
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    111,239

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    I have found that their shipping time and method was a bit bizarre. The products which were sent out from Hong Kong were routed through Stockholm, Sweden prior to crossing the Atlantic to the US and stayed a few days there. I know this because I was following the tracking number given. When I inquired about this in an e-mail, I was told that they have a "hub center" there where certain products "transition" before continuing on their journey to the destination. Really had no idea what that meant. About 3 and a half weeks later, I got my product. I found it to be a hassle. My last purchase in early January was my final one from them.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  23. #53

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Koky: your first post on basenotes must at least mention Creed Aventus. Please return when you're ready to talk about more pertinent issues.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

  24. #54
    Dependent canuck21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Icy_Lips View Post
    I have never faced problems with them so far and I always recommend this company to my friends.
    Another new member quick to praise Strawberrynet.

    Huh.

  25. #55
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    10,091
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    And. 2/3 of the new posts are about 'Strawberry Net'!

  26. #56

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    What about all the veteran members who've vouched for the company in this thread? Do their testimonies not matter?
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

  27. #57
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,380

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Maybe, in some countries, strawberry.net is a good choice (- no idea, possibly depends on the nature of the product purchased) but new members are sometimes intimidated by some of the discussion threads so it shouldn't be surprising if they feel that they'd like to initially post on a topic on which they're happy expressing an opinion.

    In an ideal world, we'd try to make them feel welcome and hope that they become a part of the community.

  28. #58
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    10,091
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    If a company wants to insure a good steady clientele, it is best they continue to perform at the top levels and meet customer's expectations. Competition is inherent in business. If people aren't satisfied, they'll try somewhere else.

  29. #59
    Dependent canuck21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    I wasn't trying to put down any of the new members. I just find it strange that some create an account to quickly give good credit to a company thats been getting some negative press lately and then pretty much disappear and not become active on the boards. Not saying theres anything wrong with that, just strange.

    Strawberrynet needs to get they're act together. It appears some get good service, others not, that's not how a company builds a strong reputation.

  30. #60

    Default Re: strawberrynet.com -100% trustworthy?

    Yes, this does happen on quite a few forums. Complaints about the a site and suddenly all these newbies pop up and rave how fabulous said company is. Strangely they never post again.
    DONNA

Similar Threads

  1. Sold by Amazon trustworthy?
    By ILikePeeps in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31st October 2014, 01:34 PM
  2. Is this website trustworthy?
    By bobochu in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8th April 2013, 08:41 AM
  3. Trustworthy Ebay Sellers?
    By Skyline in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26th August 2012, 02:08 PM
  4. Trustworthy websites to buy from?
    By SpaceAboveSky in forum Online Shopping
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 13th January 2012, 11:21 PM
  5. Trustworthy Creed?
    By genvy5 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 26th August 2006, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000