Code of Conduct

Default Creed Bois du Portugal or bond No 9 Chinatown?

Scents are very expensive where I live, nad also we have a very limited market here. I like traditional woody dry-ish and oriental colognes. An online shop is importing some nich scents at a very reasonable price and I am between Bois du Portugal and Chinatown. One must be defenetely masculine, and the other is supposed to be unissex leaning towards feminine. The question is: which one would be worth adding to a collection knowing I will problably make very little use of it? I mean, usually I wear something to go to work, an everyday fragrance. And for me both scents in question are quite off my usual go-to fragrance. Thanks, even though being something rather personal, it is nice to hear what other members think about.

Default Re: Creed Bois du Portugal or bond No 9 Chinatown?

I'd choose Bois Du Portugal without hesitation.

(2673)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Interesting.

I think Chinatown is an absolute masterpiece. 10 / 10. One of the best fragrances I have ever smelled.

However, I think it is a little too feminine for myself. So, I would have to go with BdP (which is a very excellent fragrance in it's own right).

Better fragrance: Chinatown
    Better fragrance for me to wear: BdP

I agree with Dougczar's assessment, though then I would go with Chinatown. Chinatown is wonderful, and very unique. Over the top and gourmand. Perfume critic Luca Turin said that it recalls a small french store in summer, where the smell of floor wax meets that of ripe peaches. However, it cannot certainly be described as dry woodish.

BdP is good (actually one of the few Creeds I am ok with), but more traditional masculine woody. You could definitely wear it daily to work. Still, it's not as unique, and at Creed's prices, one wonders whether it's really worth it.

It is hard to recommend a blind buy at such high prices. If a choice is made, I'd go with Chinatown, which is unique. I don't see a problem with a man wearing it. It is however very big and bold, so it's not safe for work.

cacio

I have a China Town candle burning right now as I right. I would definitely recommend China Town. I do find it too feminine for me to wear, but I absolutely love it on my wife! I have yet to find a Creed that I actually like, so by default I would already go with China Town...but I'm not just recommending it by default because I think it is a superb fragrance that is extremely unique and a masterpiece. I have tried and tried to like Creed, but I just can't...I even went to the Creed counter last Wednesday to give them another shot, but I don't like any of them...not one...and that is giving them a more than fair shot.

So...yeah...China Town it is...yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    I have a China Town candle burning right now .
    I might have to look into getting one of those!

You mention that you llike traditional, woody oriental fragrances and I believe you would really enjoy BdP. I am sure that you have sampled it to consider a purchase. I sampled a couple times before I purchased a bottle. I always enjoyed wearing it, but I wanted to be certain that if I was spending Creed prices that it was going to be a fragrance that I clicked with my personality. I enjoy wearing from casual to formal. The fall and winter are the best seasons for me. It also maintains that "something special" since I don't wear it in every season.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I might have to look into getting one of those!
    You should...I got it on one of the refill events...it's a great way for me to enjoy it being that I find it too feminine to wear. AND it is super potent...my wife and I will light it for about 5 minutes and extinguish it...it fills the whole house in those 5 minutes...this candle is going to last forever!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Creed of course though I am not fond of either

Seconding the candle. Smells wonderful even if not burnt. Expensive, but worth it. Added bonus: the ceramic cup is as cute as the bottle.

cacio

I'd go with BdP, as Chinatown is too feminine for me and my wife is apathetic towards it. I haven't tried the candle, but I bet that would be a great room fragrance!

I would go for Bois du Portugal. Very classy fragrance. And I think it's the best from the Milessime line.

Bois du Portugal

Bois du Portugal. Chinatown is one of the few Bonds that I actually like, but it's too feminine for me to wear.

Bois du Portugal!
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, 1 Million Absolutely Gold, Prada Amber pour Homme DELUXE version, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

i'll go with bois du portugal

Bois du Portugal

I would just like to thank you all who answered in my help. It seems that BdP is a major preference, and I think it being a Creed helps a lot. I will contact the shop by phone, and if they really can be sure I will not be charged import duty taxes, I might wait a little longer and get them both. I am sure Bois du Portugal is my traditional kind of scent with the best quality added. Chinatown would be that special one for very occasional wearing if at all, although I am afraid I already wear Prada Prada pour Femme, first version, the one without Amber written on the box and the one women don't like because they say it is too rough. Also, TF Noir is seens as a bit feminine, too, as well as Burbery Brti for Men. It would be no big deal, i suppose. Thank you very much for the support. Basenotes is such a nice place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'd choose Bois Du Portugal without hesitation.

(2673)
    +1.

Bois Du Portugal

Blimey -- you are not excatly comparing like with like here

I won't wear either -- BdP too traditional and unexciting and Chinatown for it's femininity

Bois du Portugal

BdP!

It's an odd comparison, as the two are like night and day.

Chinatown's the better fragrance, but Bois du Portugal is probably better for a man.

OK, but I am not Comparing tHem, it was eitHer one or tHe otHer. As I said I lke traditional male woody sents (BdP) and orientals (CHinatown). THat's all. THanks ...

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    It's an odd comparison, as the two are like night and day.

Chinatown's the better fragrance, but Bois du Portugal is probably better for a man.

BdP is one the best ultra-luxurious masculines. It is much closer to PdN New York than anything by Bond though it is still superior to New York.

Okay propser. If you don't mind wearing something that some people will consider feminine, then definitely go for Chinatown. It's much better!