Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Safety razor or Double edged wet shaving - question

Quote Originally Posted by bbfan View Post
    +1 on TOBS Avocado. I've tried different creams/soaps and that one works best for me by far. A little goes a long way too. I wish it was fragrance-free as I'm not thrilled with the smell, but the performance is easily worth the trade-off. TOBS Avocado and Personna Blues has proven to be a winning combo.
    Have to agree...not my favorite scent in the world BUT best shaving cream to me by far....Wonderful lubrication and slickness....Works great with my badger hair shaving brush....
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR SUMMER (HOT):
    1.) MFK Pluriel for him
    2.) Vetiver Fatal
    3.) Guerlain L'eau
    4.) Anat Fritz Tzora
    5.) Frank No. 2 L.A.
    6.) Dior Homme Eau
    7.) Invasion Barbare
    8.) Xerjoff Nio
    9.) Byredo Bal D'Afrique
    10.) Escentric 02

All the TOBS creams are great IMO, and just as good as the pricier ones from Trumpers/Truefitt. I like the Avocado smell, it's one of my faves, I've been using it all week. I've a bar of C&E Avocado and Olive soap on the go, it goes nicely with it.
    He boiled for our sins

Basenotes Plus

[QUOTE=Marais;3076102]All the TOBS creams are great IMO, and just as good as the pricier ones from Trumpers/Truefitt. I like the Avocado smell, it's one of my faves, I've been using it all week. I've a bar of C&E Avocado and Olive soap on the go, it goes nicely with it

Not to mention the creams are so much more moisturizing than the soaps...I like the soaps, but the creams really are hard to beat when it comes to slickness, lubrication and moisturizing...

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    I went double edge for a month and it irritated my neck everyday. I don't have sensitive skin either. After having a irritated mech and not so close shave, I went back to fusion. The way my beard grows, I have to shave my neck both diagonal and horizontal. This is much easier with the newer multi blades.

Same here - add to it that I'm more lazy, so Gillette fusion power it is for me...
    Currently wearing: L'Humaniste by Frapin

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Same here - add to it that I'm more lazy, so Gillette fusion power it is for me...

I LOVE DE shaving....yea its a little more time consuming but Im a few months into it and just like fragrance, its an amazing experience to the point where I actually look forward to getting up and shaving...So, many things I didnt know before and certainly if you're going to take the time to smell good...You should also take the time to be good to your skin...lol....And quite frankly, I have NEVER had a BABY BUTT SMOOTH (BBS) shave with cartridge....usually by 6 hours with cartridge, I have stubble and "scratchies"....With DE shaving...I literally can skip a day of shaving....its THAT good and close...Glad I made the switch !
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR SUMMER (HOT):
    1.) MFK Pluriel for him
    2.) Vetiver Fatal
    3.) Guerlain L'eau
    4.) Anat Fritz Tzora
    5.) Frank No. 2 L.A.
    6.) Dior Homme Eau
    7.) Invasion Barbare
    8.) Xerjoff Nio
    9.) Byredo Bal D'Afrique
    10.) Escentric 02

I just shaved my beard for the summer and I'm giving it a second go. Art of shaving didn't have Astra, persona, or feather so I bought Gillette premium to replace the merkur blade. If they don't work I'll go to west coast and try Astra and feather. The SA said the feather were really sharp and he was scared to use them. It's a safety razor!

I just shaved my beard for the summer and I'm giving it a second go. Art of shaving didn't have Astra, persona, or feather so I bought Gillette premium to replace the merkur blade. If they don't work I'll go to west coast and try Astra and feather. The SA said the feather were really sharp and he was scared to use them. It's a safety razor!
    I think you have to become quite proficient before using Feathers. When I wasn't very experienced I found it hard to get through a shave without nicking myself to begorrah. Now I find I can get a very good shave with one, provided I use a mild razor (eg. Progress set on 1.5). However, I have to ditch the blade after 2 or 3 days, whereas I can get 4 or 5 shaves from an Astra, and a week from a Personna. Also, my are they pricey compared to the others!
    He boiled for our sins

Basenotes Plus

If you really want a fantastic shaving soft soap look at the Los Angeles Shaving Soap company. They use essential oils and their fragrances are superb, Topanga Fougere reminds me of Roja Parfums Scandal, it's that good. I also recommend their Bespoke No.1 for Fall and Winter. For best results use more product than normal and you're going to be very pleased. Considering how much we spend on fragrances, these shaving soaps are excellent value.
    http://lashavingsoap.com/collections...e-shaving-soap
    http://lashavingsoap.com/collections...1-shaving-soap
    Last edited by mixerscent; 11th May 2014 at 10:36 AM.

Nice! How long before the scent dissipates? I wouldn't want it to clash with what I'm wearing.

Basenotes Plus

Nice! How long before the scent dissipates? I wouldn't want it to clash with what I'm wearing.
    The scent only stays while lathering and during the shave. It's the only shaving soap that I've been able to use from start to near finish, the Vanilla Eucalyptus Mint should be finished in the next 2-3 weeks. That's a first given I have 40+ shaving soaps. Next up will be Topanga Fougere.