Code of Conduct

Default Safety razor or Double edged wet shaving - question

Just started to shave this way after years of throwing my money away on those expensive cartridge razors like Mach 3 and Fusion.....I love the shave quality and Im working on my technique which one day I hope to avoid cuts and razor bumps all together...I managed to get those a lot with cartridge razors too...

But here's my question...I use to shave in the shower with the cartridge razors and shave cream...Now I shower first and then shave over the sink with my DE razor....Most of the shaving creams or soaps are scented....When I was in the shower, if was easy to watch the shaving cream scent off of your face, but when you shave over the sink its not so easy to get that shaving cream scent off of your face BEFORE applying your fragrance....I always wear fragrance but I don't want it clashing with the shave cream I use or shave soap...Any suggestions? And Im not one to use the fragrance that goes along with a shaving cream package deal either...

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Default Re: Safety razor or Double edged wet shaving - question

Glad to here you are embracing the DE safety razor. I think in time you will find that as your technique improves, your skin will feel much better. I am a firm believer that the multi blade cartridge razors are harsh and irritating on your skin.... partly because of the multiple blades all at once on your skin..... but mostly because I feel guys are less likely to use a sharp blade because the cartridges cost so much that they try to use them as long as possible (which is usually too long).

To answer your question, simply rinse well. I use all different kinds of shave soap and cream.... some lightly scented and some heavily scented. I have never used one that the scent of the soap or cream lingers very long after the shave when rinsed well after the shave. I have a post shave routine that consists of a warm water rinse, a cold water rinse, spraying witch hazel on my face and neck, applying an aftershave lotion (splash), and then an aftershave balm. It is overkill.... but it works for me. The aftershave scent can sometimes linger depending on what I use..... but shave soaps and creams typically do not contain enough fragrance oil for the scent to stick around very long. If it is, you just need to rinse more after your shave.

You could also try an unscented soap or cream.

Hope this helps.

Ben
    If I Could Only Have a Dozen:
    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    3. Guerlain Vetiver
    4. Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa
    5. Creed Bois Du Portugal
    6. Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    7. Creed Tabarome Millesime
    8. Guerlain Heritage
    9. Penhaligon's Sartorial
    10. Creed Royal Oud
    11. Chanel Egoiste
    12. Creed EROLFA

Welcome to wet shaving! Your face will thank you! Everything mistercitizen said +1. I don't use an aftershave though. I rinse with hot water, rinse again with cold water, apply witch hazel then use lotion. No shave soap fragrance is left after all that.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Quite frankly, the amount of scent and its lasting power in even the most heavily scented of those soaps and creams is pretty trivial. And if it does bother you, there are plenty of very lightly scented and scent free ones around.
    Regards,
    Renato

Welcome to wetshaving, FSU!

Glad to see a few BNers getting into it - wetshaving was actually my gateway into fragrances, so I went the opposite direction to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexic Rooster View Post
    I rinse with hot water, rinse again with cold water, apply witch hazel then use lotion. No shave soap fragrance is left after all that.
    I think this is very sound advice. If you are worried about lather scent lingering, after a rinse you can use a cotton pad soaked in witchazel as an unscented aftershave, which will not only treat and tone your skin, but will remove any residue left from your shave.

But echoing Renato, I've not come across too many shaving soaps or creams that leave a scent on my face. Tabac being one exception to the rule.
    Some products are indeed stronger than others, and while I think QCS and Mama Bear as examples of stronger ones, wetshaving is an area where YMMV is even more applicable than here on BN.

Agree with what has been said above. Rinse very well, then apply a balm or moisturiser instead of conventional aftershave lotion. You will find the scent will not linger for more than half an hour. Some shaving creams or soaps are scented, but as others have said the scent is minimal and won't last. If you are smelling them still after applying a fragrance, your nose is clearly very well developed and your sense of smell is awesome!

Too time consuming for me. Electric shaver, then a warm water rinse followed by a decent balm

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Too time consuming for me. Electric shaver, then a warm water rinse followed by a decent balm
    Agreed. I also started wet shaving recently and it does consume more time. But having said that, I find it extremely enjoyable and I plan to stick with it. Imagine looking forward to the daily shave? Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bbfan View Post
    Agreed. I also started wet shaving recently and it does consume more time. But having said that, I find it extremely enjoyable and I plan to stick with it. Imagine looking forward to the daily shave? Very cool.
    Well I definitely don't look forward to an electric shave it so I may give it a go

Please do Kaern! It's worth the extra time and effort. I NEVER liked shaving before I started wet shaving. Electric razors made my face itch, multi blade razors eat my face up. There was a big change in the condition of my skin as well, between the brush and razor.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexic Rooster View Post
    Please do Kaern! It's worth the extra time and effort. I NEVER liked shaving before I started wet shaving. Electric razors made my face itch, multi blade razors eat my face up. There was a big change in the condition of my skin as well, between the brush and razor.
    Electric razors were always problematic for me too - but they were better than wet shaving for decades until Gillette invented Fusion, and now I can shave with most DE and cartridges.

But I did find a trick to make electric razors work well - before shaving, wash face with one of those medicated soaps that dry your face out (e.g. Sapoderm), wait till face is completely dry then shave. The incidence of irritation dropped to near zero, and cutter life increased from 6 months to three years.

Nowadays I use electric when recovering from using some lousy soap or cream, or from using a lousy razor, like the Merkur Open Comb.
    Regards,
    Renato

I spent 25 years not enjoying electric razors before I discovered DE shaving. Yes, it takes longer than an electric shave, but only by 5 minutes in my case. I get a much closer shave and I actually enjoy it, so it gets each day off to a good start.

I love my Edwin Jagger D89 Razor with the Feather razor blades. I also like the Taylor Of Old Bond street shaving creams and my last tub lasted about a year, I have saved a lot of money shaving this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Just recently started experimenting with this method and am getting very satisfying results. The extra time I have so no problem for me.
    (3190)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I love my Edwin Jagger D89 Razor with the Feather razor blades. I also like the Taylor Of Old Bond street shaving creams and my last tub lasted about a year, I have saved a lot of money shaving this way.
    Hey Jack ! yep...I invested in a Merkur 34C and just ordered a "mack-daddy" Feather razor for about 170 bucks....Its suppose to be a milder razor and would allow me to shave virtually everyday as my skin gets eaten up by the aggressive razors and blades....

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE TOBS shaving creams...I have the avocado one and its amazing and lathers so quickly and THICK !

There's something too this "old school" way of shaving and I for one look to shaving EVERYDAY ! I didnt use too...I would just shave in the shower with some good quality shave cream and a cartridge razor....But NOW? I LOVE to shave....Have 3 or 4 shave creams I use and just alternate them like I do my colognes....Its a very nice pampering hobby for men, IMO...

Btw guys, what witch hazel product to you guys like ? I have some AS balms that contain WH but Im thinking PURE WH might be best....

Let me know your thoughts !
    Looking for Byredo Pulp -

I like the cheap stuff from the first aid section of most stores. Tones my skin and closes my pores. The alcohol acts as a disinfectant too.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

I went double edge for a month and it irritated my neck everyday. I don't have sensitive skin either. After having a irritated mech and not so close shave, I went back to fusion. The way my beard grows, I have to shave my neck both diagonal and horizontal. This is much easier with the newer multi blades.

Elevation, what DE razor were you using? It's possible the DE razor you were using was too aggressive. It also may be a minor technique issue, to avoid irritation apply no pressure and let the blade do the work. I agree the multi blade cartridges are easier, however I've found using a DE razor is more satisfying. I usually to 2 passes with a DE, followed by 2 passes with either a Pils razor with Sensor cartridge or the Schick Hydro 5.

Michael

I was using the merkur super platinum coated blades. I just happened to be passing through the mall one day and walked into the "art of shaving" shop. I had no idea what DE shaving was. SA gave me the sales pitch, which was good. I walked out with a Muhle DE. I might give it another try, but I hate having irritated skin.

Merkur's own blades are not very good. I've tried them a few times as they normally include one with a Merkur razor (I own 3 Merkurs). My advice is to try again with an Astra or Personna, if you can be bothered. If you are getting good shaves with a cartridge, it may not be worth the hassle.
    The neck is often a problem area. I think a lot of starters probably use too aggressive a razor, too much pressure, not enough soap/cream, or a combination of those factors.

If your razor is the Muhle closed comb razor like the Muhle R89, you're fine. This is a gentle razor - https://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/...m/147/147/R_89

If your razor is the open comb version, like the Muhle R41, then you have an extremely aggressive razor. You can tell by looking at razor head.
    https://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/...m/147/147/R_89

The blades also make a significant difference, your blades are known to be pretty rough. I would highly recommend Gillette Silver Blues, they're a very good combination of smooth and sharp http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Gill...ak_p_1683.html. If you're after a very gentle blade however it will not be as sharp, I'd recommend an Astra. http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Astr...des_p_142.html

I'd also recommend a good and inexpensive soap like Cella, which will provide cushion while you shave and leave your face soft post shave. If you can't find it, I'd highly recommend L'Occitane's Cade shaving cream or soap and their excellent Plisson synthetic shaving brush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5fetTetmXk
    http://usa.loccitane.com/cade-rich-s...221,393494.htm
    http://usa.loccitane.com/cade-shavin...221,388683.htm

Unfortunately merkur blades don't have the best reputation. I've had neck irritation with certain blades, but personna blues work well for me. No irritation whatsoever. You may want to give them a try.

Spot on Marais

Interesting.....looks like the SA sold me everything that I didn't need. I have the closed comb. I'll def look into this. I'll try the new blades first....don't want to buy another DE if I can make it work with blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Merkur's own blades are not very good. I've tried them a few times as they normally include one with a Merkur razor (I own 3 Merkurs). My advice is to try again with an Astra or Personna, if you can be bothered. If you are getting good shaves with a cartridge, it may not be worth the hassle.
    The neck is often a problem area. I think a lot of starters probably use too aggressive a razor, too much pressure, not enough soap/cream, or a combination of those factors.
    Sometimes I'll see a post and shake my head in frustration, because a similar post had already been made and the new poster clearly didn't read the prior one. Drives me nuts. Well that's exactly what I did here. Apologies to Marais who had already provided similar info (plus more) and said it much better than I did!

Hey, it happens, we all posted within minutes of each other anyway. At least we are all singing from the same hymn sheet!

Elevation, I agree with Marais, bbfan, and mixerscent. Great information. When I started wet shaving, I also got a razor blade sampler pack. I ended up really liking the Astra Superior Platinum blades. Best part, I was able to find a 100 blade pack of them for about nine dollars on amazon. They last about a week, give or take, so that's two years of irritation free shaves. You have a good razor, take a little time to figure out which blades work best for your skin, and work on your technique. Your skin may also need time to adjust to shaving with a DE razor, I know mine did. I wasn't used to having the razor directly against my skin which led to some minor irritation, but that will pass as your technique improves and your skin adapts. All in all, wet shaving has been a great way for me to get a great shave, save money, and enjoy my morning ritual. The switch was a real eye opener and I can't wait to try a straight razor.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    Interesting.....looks like the SA sold me everything that I didn't need. I have the closed comb. I'll def look into this. I'll try the new blades first....don't want to buy another DE if I can make it work with blades.
    elevation....Im in the same boat...I've been doing it now for a couple of months and I was shredding my neck daily....today I had one of the very best shaves I have EVER had....No ingrown hairs or razor bumps....Everybody is correct that has mentioned DE shaving....you have to go VERY slow and gently hold the razor against your skin, no pressure whatsoever....PLUS....Take your finger and stretch your neck downward when you are shaving the neck area...I usually do TWO passes on the neck and sometimes I also add a little pre-shave oil on that second pass to help with irritation...Just DON'T give up....It is SOOO worth it and the shave is definitely more closer than cartridges....I was a Quattro shaver and idk, did the job ok and no irritation but the shave wasn't BBS....I like that and my kids like that....DE razor shaving or wet shaving, allows you to get a BBS shave for a lot less money....Will you shred your neck a few times? Sure...I do....But when you have a shave or two without the irritation, you will love it....I bought some "Fire Fighter" from Origins and also "Easy Slider" pre-shave oil and while many wet shavers are against it or believe it doesnt really help, I beg to differ...Especially for us "beginners"....The stuff works...Im sure there are other alternatives that are way cheaper but I use these products...Anthony Logistics has some good stuff too and many other brands....

But don't give up...Work on your technique, map out your beard growth, and pre-shave prep is important too...Cannot emphasize this enough...I alternate between my Merkur 34C and my Feather Stainless steel and I use the Feather Platinum blades and Astra and these two are really all I need...The Feather stainless is a little less aggressive and gives my skin a break....but find something that works for you and pick up a tub of TOBS avocado shaving cream....Its one of the best out there IMO....Its the most lubricating and slick I have found amongst the many I have tried...Cella is pretty good along with LaTroja shaving cream in a tube and Nancy-Boy Replenishing shaving cream for sensitive skin....I rotate all of these creams in and out and STILL my fave is TOBS.....I also have Mike's natural shaving soaps (coconut) and some others....But I tend to lean more toward the creams....More lubricating and slick to me....Just my opinion, though....

Started DE shaving this week. I will NEVER EVER go back to cartridge razors. DE shaving is cheaper, better for your skin, gives better results. The benefits are endless. Still learning, but i'm a convert.

+1 on TOBS Avocado. I've tried different creams/soaps and that one works best for me by far. A little goes a long way too. I wish it was fragrance-free as I'm not thrilled with the smell, but the performance is easily worth the trade-off. TOBS Avocado and Personna Blues has proven to be a winning combo.

Quote Originally Posted by bbfan View Post
    +1 on TOBS Avocado. I've tried different creams/soaps and that one works best for me by far. A little goes a long way too. I wish it was fragrance-free as I'm not thrilled with the smell, but the performance is easily worth the trade-off. TOBS Avocado and Personna Blues has proven to be a winning combo.
    Have to agree...not my favorite scent in the world BUT best shaving cream to me by far....Wonderful lubrication and slickness....Works great with my badger hair shaving brush....

All the TOBS creams are great IMO, and just as good as the pricier ones from Trumpers/Truefitt. I like the Avocado smell, it's one of my faves, I've been using it all week. I've a bar of C&E Avocado and Olive soap on the go, it goes nicely with it.

[QUOTE=Marais;3076102]All the TOBS creams are great IMO, and just as good as the pricier ones from Trumpers/Truefitt. I like the Avocado smell, it's one of my faves, I've been using it all week. I've a bar of C&E Avocado and Olive soap on the go, it goes nicely with it

Not to mention the creams are so much more moisturizing than the soaps...I like the soaps, but the creams really are hard to beat when it comes to slickness, lubrication and moisturizing...

I went double edge for a month and it irritated my neck everyday. I don't have sensitive skin either. After having a irritated mech and not so close shave, I went back to fusion. The way my beard grows, I have to shave my neck both diagonal and horizontal. This is much easier with the newer multi blades.

Same here - add to it that I'm more lazy, so Gillette fusion power it is for me...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Same here - add to it that I'm more lazy, so Gillette fusion power it is for me...

I LOVE DE shaving....yea its a little more time consuming but Im a few months into it and just like fragrance, its an amazing experience to the point where I actually look forward to getting up and shaving...So, many things I didnt know before and certainly if you're going to take the time to smell good...You should also take the time to be good to your skin...lol....And quite frankly, I have NEVER had a BABY BUTT SMOOTH (BBS) shave with cartridge....usually by 6 hours with cartridge, I have stubble and "scratchies"....With DE shaving...I literally can skip a day of shaving....its THAT good and close...Glad I made the switch !

I just shaved my beard for the summer and I'm giving it a second go. Art of shaving didn't have Astra, persona, or feather so I bought Gillette premium to replace the merkur blade. If they don't work I'll go to west coast and try Astra and feather. The SA said the feather were really sharp and he was scared to use them. It's a safety razor!

I just shaved my beard for the summer and I'm giving it a second go. Art of shaving didn't have Astra, persona, or feather so I bought Gillette premium to replace the merkur blade. If they don't work I'll go to west coast and try Astra and feather. The SA said the feather were really sharp and he was scared to use them. It's a safety razor!
    I think you have to become quite proficient before using Feathers. When I wasn't very experienced I found it hard to get through a shave without nicking myself to begorrah. Now I find I can get a very good shave with one, provided I use a mild razor (eg. Progress set on 1.5). However, I have to ditch the blade after 2 or 3 days, whereas I can get 4 or 5 shaves from an Astra, and a week from a Personna. Also, my are they pricey compared to the others!

If you really want a fantastic shaving soft soap look at the Los Angeles Shaving Soap company. They use essential oils and their fragrances are superb, Topanga Fougere reminds me of Roja Parfums Scandal, it's that good. I also recommend their Bespoke No.1 for Fall and Winter. For best results use more product than normal and you're going to be very pleased. Considering how much we spend on fragrances, these shaving soaps are excellent value.
    http://lashavingsoap.com/collections...e-shaving-soap
    http://lashavingsoap.com/collections...1-shaving-soap
    Last edited by mixerscent; 11th May 2014 at 10:36 AM.

Nice! How long before the scent dissipates? I wouldn't want it to clash with what I'm wearing.

Nice! How long before the scent dissipates? I wouldn't want it to clash with what I'm wearing.
    The scent only stays while lathering and during the shave. It's the only shaving soap that I've been able to use from start to near finish, the Vanilla Eucalyptus Mint should be finished in the next 2-3 weeks. That's a first given I have 40+ shaving soaps. Next up will be Topanga Fougere.