Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Doubts anyone?

Dependent

Default Doubts anyone?

We all love fragrance, but does anyone ever question their obsession? People talk behind our backs, call us weirdos, complain to our supervisors. Does it ever get to anyone? Pls share your thoughts and what you do to reassure yourselves if needed.
    Currently wearing: Santal Impérial by Creed

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Doubts anyone?

Everybody has something that they enjoy more than they should..
    As long as you can do it why not?

Damn the torpedoes.

We seem to be living in an age where almost everyone is interested in at least one "collectible." In this case, you can actually use the bottles rather than just stare at them! And many increase in value significantly, even within a few years. You may want to point these things out to ill-informed critics.

Since I made the decision to wear no more than three sprays to work, and just two to church, with almost any scent, I really doubt anyone takes issue with my habit. And if they do at this application level, I don't give a flip. I just want my wife and kids to be unscathed by it. I go a little heavier when I'm not in social settings, like maybe 4 or 5. I don't want to be an irritant, but I also want to enjoy my own scent. Cologne is one of my favorite joys in life.
    Currently wearing: Manhattan by Bond No. 9

I agree with everyone. I could care less what anyone thinks. In such a dirty cruel world, fragrance is one that that brightens my day.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I can see where the OP is coming from.

I wear cologne and I am not going to stop wearing based on someone else's opinion but I do like to keep it to myself.

As I am sure my cologne has at times offended / bothered people around me, there have been times when I have been offended by people's reactions towards something I may be wearing.

I don't like to show my knowledge, as limited as this is compared to some here, to the average Joe so to speak.

And I certainly do not tell people of the amount of money I spend or the size of my collection.

If someone does not like what I am wearing and says so then I am fine, but I don't appreciate people waving their arms about or holding their noses especially when its an adult.

Having said that, I tend to spray lightly so most of the time I think I go un-noticed.

But what I dislike the most is when people really like what I am wearing and start to draw attention to me, its not the reason I wear.

Basenotes Plus

What Chuck said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    We all love fragrance, but does anyone ever question their obsession? People talk behind our backs, call us weirdos, complain to our supervisors. Does it ever get to anyone? Pls share your thoughts and what you do to reassure yourselves if needed.
    I have no doubts but I have learned not to say much around others. I also collect dolls and doll collectors also catch a lot of grief. BUT --- the people I've taken the most static from about my love of fragrance are other doll collectors. Go figure!
    Betsy

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    I have no doubts but I have learned not to say much around others. I also collect dolls and doll collectors also catch a lot of grief. BUT --- the people I've taken the most static from about my love of fragrance are other doll collectors. Go figure!
    People love to judge, don't they?

Yeah I can relate. I think if I didn't know any better, I could see how it might be strange to some for a guy(or woman for that matter)to have a bunch of bottles of fragrance. I'm sure most people just would "get it". I know my mom talks about it to my face about how much she hates it and puts me down because of it. Granted she has super bad asthma, so I don't wear anything but deodorant around her and still I get the coughing and hand waving with "OH JEEZ Brian, quit wearing so much cologne!!!" And yes, I'm sure people are talking about it behind my back....but I don't really care all that much. I just get self-conscience when someone near we starts to cough or clear their throat....my 1st thought is "oh crap, I wonder if that's because of me...did I wear too much":/ And I'm the same as Chuck, 3 sprays for work max and 2 for church.
    Currently wearing: Nautica Oceans by Nautica

I do not choose to share my hobby with others because I find most people aren't interested. That way I avoid negativity and judgment. Thank goodness there's the Basenotes community that appreciates fragrance beyond mass market scents.
    Currently wearing: Futur by Robert Piguet

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I do not choose to share my hobby with others because I find most people aren't interested. That way I avoid negativity and judgment. Thank goodness there's the Basenotes community that appreciates fragrance beyond mass market scents.
    It's just our little secret.

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    Having said that, I tend to spray lightly so most of the time I think I go un-noticed.
    I think this is the general case. I am starting to wear more sprays as long as my sinuses can handle it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dependent

Do any of you doubt why you're doing it though? I think basenotes is the only place I don't feel like an outcast because I'm so into fragrance
    Currently wearing: Santal Impérial by Creed

It has never bothered me what other people might think.

(2726)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    It's just our little secret.
    Yes.
    Last edited by Trilby Lark; 7th January 2014 at 03:27 AM.
    Currently wearing: Futur by Robert Piguet

Basenotes Plus

I hold a fairly libertarian view of this; as long as my hobby does not interfere with others' rights, it is fine. I believe in spraying lightly in situations where others do not have the choice to not be in the situation (i.e. work). I also only try new fragrances when I am home alone, which is a few days a week.

Plus, internet forums ARE community in the post-modern world. We fit in here, so we fit in.

Blog Entries

I have no doubts about why I love scent. I do get annoyed if I get criticized for it. (See my recent thread on my sister's opinion.) annoyed- well, good and mad actually. It's no one's business and it's not hurting anyone.
    Currently wearing: White Flowers by Creed

Basenotes Plus

The older I get the less I care what people think. I like being curmudgeonly!!
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

I'm ok with being called a weirdo, but I doubt anyone's talking very much behind my back and as far as I know nobody's ever complained. I generally don't talk about my interest in perfume unless asked about it, or unless the subject comes up and I might express an opinion. So I don't feel like I need reassurance.

It certainly is nice to have people here to talk with about perfumes, as there aren't many interested people in my "real life."

Wearing fragrance is a portal into a personal world filled with memories, emotions and feelings. No different from seeing a great work of art , and probably more relevant to make us revisit over and over again.
    Chic is all about humor. Which means chic is about intelligence. And there has to be oddness-- most luxury is conformist, and chic cannot be. Chic must be polite and not incommode others, but within that it can be as weird as it wants.” - LT

Don't worry about what people think about my hobby. More concerned about being able to afford this stuff!

I remember several years ago I went over to a friend of mine's apartment and saw the number of shoes she had in her closet - not to worry, I said, I have a cologne collection about the same size.

I had an employee of mine help me move once and he kept saying to himself, "holy cow! Why so many?" Well... here's an answer that some may be able to relate to: memories. I have a very good memory and there are two things that I "use" to recollect - music and scent. The amount of minutia I can recall from both is pretty scary, but in general it tends to be "mood". In fact, I recall posting here about 10 years ago where I bought a scent I wore in college, Lagerfeld Photo, and instantly recalled all these memories and details when I sprayed it.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Who cares what others think!

I don't really care much.

Bark, you been here a while, 2003? Awesome man!
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

If its something I enjoy, and doesn't take away from my family or hurt anyone, I could care less what anyone else thinks about my hobbies.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Bleu de Chanel
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I don't really care much.

Bark, you been here a while, 2003? Awesome man!
    I've been around before that, back on the old Yahoo boards! There's still some of us still lingering about, lol. (Though my post count here is way off; somewhere along the line I lost a few thousand...)
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Don't worry about what people think about my hobby. More concerned about being able to afford this stuff!
    Well said!
    Betsy

I'm well balanced in this venture, so I can't say complains follow me, as I can say without no air of arrogance that I have great opulent taste and garnish compliments as I'm always well dressed and keep a balance on everything...The problem arises when an imbalance occurs and this Sir you can applied it to many situations in life...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "