Code of Conduct

Exclamation I never understood "fecal notes" in a fragrance until I tried Rive Gauche.

At first, RG smelled like I expected. An older gentleman at a barber shop with a face slathered with Barbasol. Not too bad, but nothing special.

As I was surfing the net, I took a sniff of my RG infested hand and smelled something nasty. My image of the gentleman at the barber shop quickly changed to an elderly man at a barber shop who accidentally shat in his Depends whilst getting his face slathered with Barbasol. Yes, nasty. Thank God I only got a sample of this and did not blind buy a bottle simply because of the hype and a bargain price.

Sample. First. Always.

Any other fragrances you suggest to avoid that have any hint of the aforementioned fecal notes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I never understood "fecal notes" in a fragrance until I tried Rive Gauche.

What I like about Rive Gauche PH is that there is nothing fecal about it.
    I know that many people like to wear it all year round, but for me it is a beautiful
    crispy-clean warm-weather fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I never understood "fecal notes" in a fragrance until I tried Rive Gauche.

Try Givenchy Gentleman, Mouchoir de Monsieur, and Czech & Speake Cuba...

I don't like Rive Gauche. I detest any fragrances with a fecal note to them.

However, I get NO fecal notes in RG. Are you sure you didn't get a little something on your hand?

If you want to avoid fecal notes, there are many to avoid. Two that come to mind are Dior Leather Oud and Xerjoff Zafar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

However, I get NO fecal notes in RG. Are you sure you didn't get a little something on your hand?
    AHAHA!! In regards to OP, I don't get any fecal note in Rive Gauche at all. I love it a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    What I like about Rive Gauche PH is that there is nothing fecal about it.
    haha that is what I also like about most of my fragrances; the lack of fecal note.

I think that Rive Gauche is an amazing fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

RG smells soapy and scrubbed clean to me - and to most people. So that's really strange. Either you have some hypersensitivity to some substance that is not perceived by other people, or you were smelling something else.

cacio

Never got any fecal vibe from Rive Gauche either.

(2727)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

I also have never detected a fecal note in RG.
    If you like classic fougeres, RG is quite a safe choice.
    You should definitely avoid vintage MPG Santal Noble - the top notes would have you racing for a scorching shower to wash it off!

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i dont consider RG fbw but i never detected any fecal notes in it

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

no fecal notes in RG IMO
    I don't like RG - and I get more woodsy on drydown rather than the barber shop from the top only.

Post Thanks / Like

I get no fecal notes from Rive Gauche. Nor Givenchy Gentleman, for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like

I blind bought Rive Gauche and while I don't detect any fecal notes in it, I highly doubt that it would make it smell any worse if it did. Awful stuff.

You didn't run out of toilet paper at home, did you? (joke)

I only have 1 fragrance with the fecal note....MFK Absolue Pour le Soir EDP.

Post Thanks / Like

No fecal notes in Rive Gauche, as everyone else is pointing out. However, I beg to differ on Leather Oud and Absolue pour le Soir; both have animalic musk elements, but in no sense are these fecal. Leather Oud creates a sort of urine-like vibe (from civet and honey) which honestly doesn't really smell like urine after more experience with it, and in Absolue it's a warm dirty musk that quickly calms into incense, benzoin, and florals, becoming warm and sensual. I grant that both are a bit "dirty" in some sense, but not fecal.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe someone pooped on your Rive Gauche, because there is no fecal note in this beauty.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The pyramid says no fecal notes..
    Maybe it's a mix that of other notes that smell foul to you..
    I prefer Prada Amber over Rive Gauche all day..

You still don't understand. Instead, my guess is you are classifying the woody/patchouli accord as "fecal."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    No fecal notes in Rive Gauche, as everyone else is pointing out. However, I beg to differ on Leather Oud and Absolue pour le Soir; both have animalic musk elements, but in no sense are these fecal. Leather Oud creates a sort of urine-like vibe (from civet and honey) which honestly doesn't really smell like urine after more experience with it, and in Absolue it's a warm dirty musk that quickly calms into incense, benzoin, and florals, becoming warm and sensual. I grant that both are a bit "dirty" in some sense, but not fecal.
    I love Leather Oud, but there are times when, to my nose, it moves beyond musky into definitely, unmistakably faecal (cat poo, if you must know). It just needs to be handled with caution.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though I own a vintage bottle Rive Gauche pour Homme it is not a favorite of mine. That said, I detect absolutely nothing fecal about the composition and recommend acquiring a new sample to retest.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

@ G Man - Haven't sniffed this in years but maybe your sample was wrongly-labelled?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like Rive Gauche. I detest any fragrances with a fecal note to them.

However, I get NO fecal notes in RG
    Exactly this!

Post Thanks / Like

This is my experience with these 2 beauties also. Leather Oud tantalises with the civet, takes it to the edge of good taste but never crosses the boundary - very good fragrance. I think the cumin adds to the mix in APLS.

Don't get anything dirty with RG.
    Last edited by dnc; 7th January 2014 at 10:27 AM.

The only way you would have detected a fecal note in RG is if you had shat yourself while 'surfing the net'

Post Thanks / Like

spiked bottle, maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

I was on a diet once and only ate shaving foam for a week. Needless to say that the bathroom ended up smelling like someone had overapplied Rive Gauche.

Rive Gauche? Fecal note? Naw man.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I was on a diet once and only ate shaving foam for a week. Needless to say that the bathroom ended up smelling like someone had overapplied Rive Gauche.
    The 'Shaving Foam' diet. Yeah that's pretty popular round our way too

Fecal?

...I'm pretty sure you still don't understand what fecal means. You need to seek out a sample of Kouros. Trust me, once you've smelled that, you'll know. I'm not slamming Kouros, by the way. It's excellent.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

On a related note, I think I read a study recently that certain fragrances can cause itchy-butt syndrome...

On a related note, I think I read a study recently that certain fragrances can cause itchy-butt syndrome...
    I read that too! Oh, wait. No. I read something about camping and poison ivy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    The only way you would have detected a fecal note in RG is if you had shat yourself while 'surfing the net'

There are many things I would accuse Rive Gauche of being, but "fecal" would not be one of them. Are you sure it isn't the patchouli vibe? Not everyone gets on with patchouli - I know I'm quite sensitive to the overall blend when it's used as an ingredient.

RG is not fecal at all.... if you want fecal try Dior Leather Oud...that's fecal...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    RG is not fecal at all.... if you want fecal try Dior Leather Oud...that's fecal...
    Leather Oud isn't fecal at all. Musky and animalic in the base, sure, with its civet and honey. But it's a warm, sensual effect in practice. If it smells like anything, it's sort of an old urine effect (which I'd ascribe to the honey mostly), but that's an association that goes away both by not smelling right up close, and with spending more time with the fragrance.

I dont detect any fecal note in RG... Must be me

Wait... brands use fecal notes ON PURPOSE??

I guess that quote in American Hustle thread is more than just shock value script writing!

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

lol. That's unbelievable. Seems like something from The Onion.

Sold 25 bottles at 40 pounds a pop. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Sold 25 bottles at 40 pounds a poop. Crazy.
    Fixed that for ya Cali!

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    if you want fecal try Dior Leather Oud...that's fecal...
    Yeah, but that's just your run of the mill petting zoo -- just a subtle "fecal / leather / hay" mixture.

You want real "Guess what you just stepped in - and slipped and fell in - and then rolled around in" kind of stuff - try Xerjoff Zafar. Now that's some hardcore poop there. Straight up outhouse.

Post Thanks / Like

Must have been you upper lip because there is NOTHING like that in RG.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Fixed that for ya Cali!
    LOL. Good one.

Could you imagine how nice it would be if poop smelled like Rive Gauche?

"Hey, Bob, did you just crap your pants?"
    "Uhm, yeah, I did."
    "Awesome!"

Post Thanks / Like

Fecal notes - Yatagan, my wife said it smelled like the elephant or rhino enclosure at the zoo. I sort of see what she meant.

Rive Gauche PH - I have zero idea what you mean.

Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

very good fragrance with no fecal notes whatsoever. its all clean

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

So does Rive Gauche have fecal notes or not? Need more replies.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    So does Rive Gauche have fecal notes or not? Need more replies.
    Hahahaha curse Basenotes and its ambiguity!

Post Thanks / Like

Leather Oud isn't fecal at all. Musky and animalic in the base, sure, with its civet and honey. But it's a warm, sensual effect in practice. If it smells like anything, it's sort of an old urine effect (which I'd ascribe to the honey mostly), but that's an association that goes away both by not smelling right up close, and with spending more time with the fragrance.
    I disagree, sorry. I most definitely get a faecal note from my bottle, especially when I've overapplied or the fragrance has begun to heat up. And with the ingredients it's no surprise. I love it.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    lol. That's unbelievable. Seems like something from The Onion.

Sold 25 bottles at 40 pounds a pop. Crazy.
    Who's going to buy a bottle?!
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Mamluk
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) Interlude Man
    4) Kouros (Vintage)
    5) Tobacco Vanille
    6) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    7) APOM Pour Homme
    8) Psychedelique [interchangeable with] Coromandel
    9) More than Words
    10) Millesime 1849

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, it obviously seems like a lot of people took the original post extremely personally.))

First, let's make it clear that not all repulsive notes are fecal, because there are so many foul odours that are not even loosely related to shit.

It is true that RGPH can smell unfriendly at first but that simply attests to its niche like quality and its unquestionable masculinity. Few other fragrances have as big balls as this.

I have to mention that RG is by far my most complimented fragrance, and before I go on a fall/winter trip the question is what I should bring together with this.

This is a wonderful fragrance and one that will remain in history. So modern, yet so classic.
    Last edited by Balthazar; 8th January 2014 at 08:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It smells like a bong and a messy shave. Esp when you rock stubble people will think you've shaved your nether bits when stoned.

So, I guess the lesson to be learned is:

Only buy Rive Gauche from the Duty-Free shops.

I think this may have already been mentioned but the only time I have smelt a 'poo' type smell was in the topnotes of Santal Noble (original version) -- not sure if it's there now

It was worth it to experience the rest of the fragrance though

Rive Gauche is a very barbershop soapy clean smells , there are no civet or animalic notes in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Because of this thread i learned a very important bit of info. There are 5 people on the planet who dont like the smell of Rive Gauche. I've already called the mercenaries in.....sorry guys.