Code of Conduct

Default Decided to take my smell seriously :)

Hello all. I am new here, and to the world of scent conniseurs, though I suppose I have always been one. My main goal is to find fragrances that are as dissimilar as possible to what people are accustomed to smelling on a man, but still fits into scents that give the feeling of masculinity. I've sort of avoided wearing straight up colognes as a scent, because I spent much of my life perceiving them as too strong to be polite, as if it was wrong to be able to detect one's scent from farther than their personal space, except for some reason in very formal situations. I am coming to recognize that I want to change these perceptions of mine.

I know there's probably a whole lot of short-sightedness and cultural blindness in that statement about masculinity which individuals who are experienced with this forum would be able to point out to me. Feel free I say, because I am only going to take your response to it as an educational experience.

Now if you would like to read more, I will share the little story of what made me decide to join this forum.

It started with a desire to find a cologne version of my favorite aftershave, Old Spice Smooth Blast. I got no problem piling it on enough to have the effect of a cologne, but I just don't want to waste it like that, because I have come to realize that it will probably not be availiable for much longer, seeing as how it exists in the world of industrial production.

So I went and found some posts on a similar forum to this one which told me that Dr. Harris' Arlington would be suitable, due to the citrus nature of it. $40 later, and I must say that while it has many similarities when you consider the full spectrum of 'fumes, it is not something I would feel comfortable wearing. The citrus is more of a lemon than the orange-ish I like in the Smooth Blast, and I honestly hope that I can blame the dismal luck of ordering it just in time to be shipped during a ridiculous cold spell in the midwest of the U.S. for the fact that I am picking up the distinct "background" of lilacs. A smell I like, but not even close to what I would consider masculine.

But all is not lost. For this is why I am here. To ask about the world of mixing scents. I understand that there is probably little I can do to put it back on track with what I was expecting (And to be honest putting the Smooth Blast on top of it has done the task of completely neutralizing it to my nose). Now my intention is to find something I can add, at a similar level of strength, which will be able to counteract it's "pastel lightness," I suppose I would call it.

To add a bit about myself, I am an experienced cook, and I tend to look at this process in the way I would look at preparing an improvised dish. To expound on that, I guess I would like to have the end result of something that one would like to eat upon smelling. Not sure why that is.

The only previous experiment that I have attempted in mixing was when I found a spray can of Axe Dark Temptation left at my place of employment by the fellow who held my job before me. I thought it was a good enough smell, but had the feeling that too many would recognize it. So I went to the store and got another spray can, this one of Old Spice Hawkridge. I didn't really consider it's appeal to me on it's own because I was intentionally seeking something that was sort of opposite to the Axe. The end result is something like Irish Spring, cookies and pipe tobacco mixed. The soapiness wear away over time, leaving the other two close to my body.

So anyways, I am very interested in being a part of this community and am quite excited about the possibilities that will arise from it. Thanks for making it to the end of this greeting.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Decided to take my smell seriously :)

Welcome

Blog Entries

Hi, it's great that you are interested in trying new things. Have fun and with time you'll figure what kind of fumes are your favorites. Enjoy!

Welcome to you and to Basenotes. I hope you find your time here enjoyable and enlightening!

(2778)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Welcome!

I have not smelled the two perfumes you mention, so I am of little help here. But most people here, I would guess, probably think that trying to mix (or "layer", as the industry has it) perfumes is useless, it can only get worse. If a note is there, it will always remain there.

The traditional Old spice (which I assume does not smell like the smooth blast) was a slightly spicy oriental, and this type of perfumes strikes me as something that fits your description. It can have foodie connotations, smells smooth and typically lacks florals. I cannot think of particular examples in mainstream perfumery. If you dare venture near the female counters, you could check Estee Lauder Youth Dew, which smells complex, spicy (with a certain cinnamon-root beer feel), and is not expensive.

Plenty of examples instead in superexpensive niche perfumery...

cacio

Blog Entries

It sounds like you want something with a strong orange/citrus in it. You might ask here on the board or look in the directory.

Thanks for your input. I suppose I am not trying to mask one note or another. I also add that I am not essentially bounded by the gender that a particular perfume was designed for. I suppose my idea of masculine is really only defined by what I personally smell as masculine.

That doesn't help I know, but I will add that I am completely open to experimentation, within my financial ability of course. The thing I suppose I intended to get the most advice on was if there is an instance of scent combination that has been able to incorporate the lilac I perceive into something that is generally agreed upon to be masculine. To balance it and add complexity, I guess (here I go with the foodie terms).

Which I guess means I am probably in over my head for a n00b because I am hopelessly obsessed with what you call layering, and will probably focus my studies here at the forum on doing it successfully. It might be because of my sudden exposure to, and interest in, this world of scents that I would be almost heartbroken if everyone agreed that I should just stick to one scent or another, and not expect much from seeing what they are like together.

However I still must thank you for the Youth Dew rec.' I'll probably be at the mall on my next day off to see what you are talking about.

Originally, yes. But now that I've had a look around here a bit, I am quite certain that I will no longer be limiting myself to things that I can find at my local drugstore, and this has given me much more hope in finding something I really connect with.

But you are right in that I would say I prefer that citrus to the others, in scent form. Except maybe if I can find a good lime, margarita-ish maybe? Ooh I just can't wait to get into this!

Nothing wrong with mixing, of course. What I meant is that my attitude is that if one is to spend the money, one should require the perfumer to have made a good job already. To make a gastronomical analogy, it's like going to the restaurant and then having to mix dishes and cook oneself - I expect the cook to provide a good dish to start with.

But if one likes it, why not? It sounds certainly fun, and many people actually do. Flowers can be made masculine, and many perfumes for men do contain them. I cannot think of anything specific to lilac, but I think it's simply that I don't like the note at all. I recall a discussion on lilacs recently on the forum, so some of the participants perhaps can chime in.

cacio

Blog Entries

I wonder if you are possibly confusing lilac with lavender.

Oh I totally understand the desire for a finished product.

It's only that I just can't get away from viewing myself as the chef, and my odoristic presence as what I have prepared for those around me. Keep in mind that I desire to, in general, make myself smell strong enough for people to smell me without having to bury their nose in my clothes, which is where I have been up to this point.

In this ambition I find myself seeking some form of personal touch, I guess. And short of tincturizing the herbs I grow in my garden, or making myself go broke, it seems the best option for me.

Well I seem to have run out of lavender sugar, so I can't confirm that right now. It might just be that I am too sensitive to the floral part of this to get a good feel for what else it's doing. There's something decent going on under there, I know that much.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard mate!

Welcome!

Welcome!

In terms of reasonably priced lime fragrances, I'd recommend Mugler Pure Shot and Crabtree&Evelyn West Indian Limes.

Welcome aboard!

If I got you right, you would like layering in order to create your individual perfume?

It came to my mind that it could be a good idea to start off with the ETRO fragrances, which you may mix on your skin as you like.
    Start off, p.e., with Lemon Sorbet for the citrus note, and add whatever you like... Sandalo, Patchouly, Gomma, Ambra, Vicolo Fiori, Vetiver, Anice, Shaal Nur, etc. etc., depending on your liking for either spices, oriental, fresh, or slightly flowery. If you are at a counter where they carry
    ETRO's, the sales agents will certainly be more helpful than I can be from this far distance.

Have fun!

This Etro looks like exactly what I am looking for. It's too bad there only appears to be 4 locations in my country. I will definitely make a point of stopping at one if I am ever traveling in the area.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to BaseNotes,
    Last edited by 601red; 9th January 2014 at 05:24 AM.