Code of Conduct

Default What are "skin scents"?

I'm interested in this term, "skin scents". Apparently I already own one (L'Air de Rien) but I'm not sure I know what it means. Sometimes people seem to say 'skin scent' to refer to a fragrance that is 'like your skin, but better' - i.e. warm, musky perfumes. Other times it seems to refer to low sillage - staying 'close to the skin'. Other times yet it seems to have something to do with pure parfum (as opposed to EdT, EdP, etc.)

What do you think defines a skin scent? What are their special features

And, what are some of the best skin scents for a woman (or a man)?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What are "skin scents"?

I use the term to refer to a low-sillage perfume, or a perfume that has dried down to the point that I can only smell it if I put my nose close to my skin.

Hard to think of an example, since there are too many with less potent longevity, projection etc. But a brief definition of a "skin scent", would be in my opinion, almost any fragrance whose base and possibly middle notes project very little and discreetly, while the top notes fade even faster and are even lighter than averagely (even though top notes are already supposed to be light and fleeting in the first place).

As you point out, the phrase can mean two things depending on the case, either low sillage (but typically with the corollary of longevity), or musky slightly animalic, or both. You hear the term about extraits/parfums because this concentration does often have these characteristics. Typically, extraits have (or had) a higher percentage of base notes, that is, deep, long lasting materials (often animalics), but perhaps less volatile top notes (which instead are more common in lower concentration to give temporary oomph). As a result, parfums don't project as much as edts or edps, but should last a long time.

As for examples, I loved vintage Shocking (honeyed animalics), but it doesn't exist anymore (outside of ebay, and then quality is very variable). In modern extraits, I'd single out Cuir de Russie, which is more floral in edt, but very smooth leathery in extrait.

For current smooth musky animalic, Tom of Finland is very suede-like.

cacio

Banned
    Blog Entries

Scents that have low projection or longevity..
    Happy by Clinique
    Gendarme

Also most By Kilian scents do not project on my skin..

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I use the term to refer to a low-sillage perfume, or a perfume that has dried down to the point that I can only smell it if I put my nose close to my skin.
    Well stated.

(2809)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thank you.

More examples please!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Purple Label by Ralph Lauren

Couldn't say it any better!

To me, it's not only low projection, but also a milder, almost undetectable, yet ethereal scent. What I prefer on the majority of warm, casual days.

Scents I can wear often to feel fresh without getting tired of them.

A perfume you buy with gritted teeth because it barely projects but is absolutely divine.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    A perfume you buy with gritted teeth because it barely projects but is absolutely divine.

Yes this✔️..short but straight forward no need to complicate explanation!!!well said!!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

almost all Hermes fragrances created by JCE are skin scent on me; I don't know if I should feel happy its not overpowering but sometimes I wonder if it is worth the price when I can barely smell myself (defeats the purpose of using a perfume)

though my skin absorbs fragrance like a vacuum cleaner
    Last edited by happyscent; 11th January 2014 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Couldn't say it any better!
    Totally agree..