Code of Conduct

Default Your Favorite Formal (Non-Tuxedo) Suit Designer?

For those of you who have to dress up for work in a suit, or need to wear one to attend a social function, which designer's suits do you like or prefer? For me I like Armani & Zegna. I find them well crafted and classy.

(2831)
    Last edited by hednic; 9th January 2014 at 02:22 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Your Favorite Formal (Non-Tuxedo) Suit Designer?

I've been moving around a bit. These past couple of years, I've found myself liking some of the Bottega Veneta stuff. Prada and Issey Miyake also tend to have things I like a lot. I agree that Zegna and Armani are always dependable classics (as are even more expensive brands like kiton), but sometimes I want a bit more excitement from a suit.

cacio

Brooks Brothers! I'm a girl, but I'm partial to that old-class look on guys.
    I'm young, impressionable, reckless, passionate. In short, a perfect student for the art of Perfume. You talk, I'll listen, we'll sniff. Let's take some risks together.

Armani certainly makes great suits, but quite pricey unless you get lucky with an outlet retailer.

Joseph Abboud is my favorite. Excellent quality and flies low enough under the radar to be had via various discount channels. Valentino makes great affordable suits as well.

Hugo Boss makes some great stuff, but I find the cut a little too European (not that I'm a chubby American... just something about the proportions) and quite costly.

Then there's Tom Ford. I haven't bought any of his suits, but I know some guys who give the brand a big thumbs up.

I never buy off the rack and always go the bespoke route. Although I'm quite partial to Tom Ford.

^ It's nice to be rich.

Thumbs up Re: Your Favorite Formal (Non-Tuxedo) Suit Designer?

HACKETT London
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

My OH refuses point blank to wear a suit unless it's absolutely necessary (and we don't go to many places where that applies) so he gets away without owning a really decent suit.

My ex-husband particularly liked Paul Smith suits and they were the right cut for him naturally so he could just walk in and pick one up without any alterations needing to be made. I think he only owned one suit that wasn't a Paul Smith one.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    My ex-husband particularly liked Paul Smith suits and they were the right cut for him naturally so he could just walk in and pick one up without any alterations needing to be made. I think he only owned one suit that wasn't a Paul Smith one.
    Paul Smith does make some excellent suits.

(3150)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

Caruso fits me right off the rack. It's also fully canvassed.

Formal and casual: P.Johnson. I think aesthetically his style is closest to my ideal (sans the ghastly casual shoe/cotton suit combo). Magically, if I could have a handful of suits occupying my rather bare wardrobe, I could gleefully look past the old-world offerings on Saville Row and the bastion of bespoke that is Italian tailoring for this upstart MTM outfitter. Australia’s best kept secret.

Paul Smith, Aquascutum, Reiss, SuitSupply, TM Lewin, Tyrwhitt, Brooks Brothers and Burberry do good suits. But I only buy them second-hand or from bargain sales/outlets. If you are able to get accurate measurements of yourself, there is also some nice M2M websites - like Black Lapel or Indochino.

But always keep in mind that prices above $2000 for a suit are a waste of money, as with the same money - or at least starting from $2000 depending on where you are based - you can get a bespoke suit, which is no way comparable to any designer suit (which even if Dior himself dreamed about it just thinking about you, it's still something coming from a factory that needs furher tailoring - and that if you're lucky may fit you "decently" with an acceptable amount of faults).
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Since the more upscale brands locally available would do not exceed the exclusiveness, price point, craftsmanship and luxury level of Zara, Massimo Dutti and Boss (terribly limited choice, I know), my aspirational thoughts about an ideal wardrobe are directed towards the house of Knize, especially regarding formal wear.

Had to opportunity to visit their headquarters and was surprised how unexpectedly modern certain outfits designed by them were, while fully remaining puristic, elegant and perfectly stylish.

Default Your Favorite Formal (Non-Tuxedo) Suit Designer?

Armani, allthough I'm struckling with their jacket sizing.
    Gieves & Hawkes, bespoke or off the peg.
    For grunt work 8 months ago I bought Turo Tailor off the peg, with minor mods it fits ok'ish and wears well. Value for money indeed, might give them more euros in future

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by StormRiider View Post
    Caruso fits me right off the rack. It's also fully canvassed.
    Raffaele Caruso has also been a good brand for me. Quality fabric and construction, fully canvassed and Napoli style cuts for reasonable prices. I also like Corneliani. If I had tons of cash and for some reason didn't want to go bespoke, Kiton would be it for me. Otherwise Brioni, but the cut is not as neapolitan. Armani is overpriced mainstream and pretty much blah. Zegna is very nice quality but overpriced and their cuts are too long and don't suit me.

My suits are Miyake & Armani - going all the way back to the 80's.

The Miyake stuff is difficult now - basically you have to buy in Tokyo because the buyers for outlets who carry the line elsewhere generally opt for the frothy stuff and the more wearable suits and shirts never turn up in Hong Kong or Singapore anymore . . . I looked at a couple in the Aoyama flagship a fortnight ago and may get something when I pop back over later this year.

Armani are great but, again, the flagship here has recognised that the money is coming from visiting mainlanders so they are filling the store with the most garish or over- detailed stuff and have cut back on the more classic stuff in the line. I reckon the brand is on the way down, myself but maybe if you get to milan or a decent flagship the full line is still on offer. I seriously wonder where they are getting the stuff made these days.

Last year I bought a few pieces from the Paul Smith London line and I suspect that's where I'll look for a new suit next time round. Fortunately they keep a good balance between the fun stuff and the basics and the staff here actually know what they're selling and appreciate tailoring. He understands classic tailoring and pulls it off with a sense of fun without being self conscious about it.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov