Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Way to Sell a Fragrance from your Collection

Hey guys,

First, some perspective: As some of you know, I have committed myself to owning no more than 15 fragrances at any one time (my way of 'checking' myself). I'm currently at 14 and have two frags on my wish list (DHI and Virgin Island Water). I'm looking to purchase them both soon (DHI in Vegas when I head there for business later this month). As I have impulse/blind bought ZEN White Heat on a whim last night due to an incredible deal on eBay, I will have reached the 15 bottle mark by next week when it arrives.

Therefore, I have made the decision, in order to accommodate DHI and Virgin Island Water, to sell two fragrances from my collection.

My question to those with more experience: How have you gone about selling used bottles from your collection? Any places that facilitate the process? Any tips on how to best go about it? Any selling experiences you would like to share? I've purchased from eBay many times but have no experience selling. I have both boxes (mint condition).

Gotta stay true to myself. If I haven't sold at least one of the two by the time I head to Vegas I will not purchase DHI.
    Last edited by thehighend; 9th January 2014 at 07:10 AM.

Default Re: Best Way to Sell a Fragrance from your Collection

A stealth sales thread! I won't report you but someone else probably will.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    A stealth sales thread! I won't report you but someone else probably will.
    I'm actually asking a real question and I think it would be helpful for those such as myself with no experience selling fragrances to receive some advice from BNers. If this isn't allowed fine, but imho it should be. How else are the "new guys" such as myself going to learn? If it'll be an issue I will remove the names of the bottles. I included the info so as to 'set the stage' so to speak.

Just go to forum, then click on sales forum and create a thread. You can post pics and prices there. Read the stickies on the policies before posting anything.
    Current favorites_____Roja Dove Amber Aoud_____Montale Aoud Musk_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Avignon_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Lumiere Noire_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    Just go to forum, then click on sales forum and create a thread. You can post pics and prices there. Read the stickies on the policies before posting anything.
    It is my understanding that I can't start a thread there unless I meet certain criteria (which I don't yet since I officially joined BN in September).

Hi there,

Just take the names out and make the thread a more general "how do you guys sell fragrances you no longer need" and there'll be no concern about marketplace violations and what not. Also, I'll move it over to "general" as it's not a male-specific question, and some of the BN ladies might chime in with their experience also. Let me know if you have any Q's

But to answer your question, eBay is probably your best bet. That's what I've used in the past, but the fees can be a pain.

And yes, there are very specific marketplace rules set up to keep Basenotes a community first and foremost rather than simply a trading place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Hi there,

Just take the names out and make the thread a more general "how do you guys sell fragrances you no longer need" and there'll be no concern about marketplace violations and what not. Also, I'll move it over to "general" as it's not a male-specific question, and some of the BN ladies might chime in with their experience also. Let me know if you have any Q's

But to answer your question, eBay is probably your best bet. That's what I've used in the past, but the fees can be a pain.
    Thanks for the info... Will do. I really wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes. I'm considering eBay but thought that for some reason someone on here had the 'inside scoop' on a fragrance-specific online 'marketplace' I could use. If eBay is my best bet then hell... i have no choice ; )
    Last edited by thehighend; 9th January 2014 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thehighend View Post
    Thanks for the info... Will do. I really wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes. I'm considering eBay but thought that for some reason someone on here had the 'inside scoop' on a fragrance-specific online 'marketplace' I could use. If eBay is my best bet then hell...
    It's cool!

And yeah, eBay can be a pain. There are some online forums and stuff that don't have any restrictions, but it's a bit of a crap shoot as to who you'll deal with. Facebook groups, believe or not, can be pretty good too!

P.S. Thanks for editing, OP. There's a site called Crystal Flacon -- I don't know too much about it, but it might be worth researching a little. Best of luck!
    Last edited by deadidol; 9th January 2014 at 07:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    P.S. Thanks for editing, OP. There's a site called Crystal Flacon -- I don't know too much about it, but it might be worth researching a little. Best of luck!
    The dude abides! Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats that forum ? Crystal something?

I know people sell stuff there.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Check Facebook, there are a couple of fragrance sales groups. Unfortunately it can be a hit and miss trying to find someone interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

It is my understanding that I can't start a thread there unless I meet certain criteria (which I don't yet since I officially joined BN in September).
    If you subscribed to Basenotes Plus membership it would do the trick!
    http://www.basenotes.net/faq.php?faq...ing_membership

Or, as previously suggested, Crystal Flacon.

Post Thanks / Like

Do I hear Yard sale just get your DHI and cross your threshold and put the one you selling apart from your Collection and put in on EBay or get your 500 post soon, or wait a year and put aside all the the ones you selling through this time on a different locale from your rotation of 15..yes, you're gonna be over the 15 mark but the bundle of frags that you will post for sale are separated from your repertoire ...pretty simple ; do not make this and OCD issue please and enjoy juice and if you find a juice sublime by all means buy it and thank GOD for that nose you have and ability to enjoy this Hobby without hindering the venture with OCD matters......Peace and GodBless!!!

btw, when reselling you're most likely to take a lost but at least you will get some of the cash spend back , So all is not lost ...and at least there is a way to resell frags that have been used or even swap them for another enticing one.....atleast this option Exist this time of age!!! Thanks to basenotes and others on the Net....etc.....
    Last edited by magnus611; 9th January 2014 at 02:42 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents"

Post Thanks / Like

The dude abides!
    Nice Big Lebowski reference there!

Affraid I can't resist hijacking your thread with the obvious question:

What would Jeffery 'the dude' Lebowski wear as a fragrance?

I imagine Brut. Cheap drugstore scent. Classically masculine. Retro. Which of course he carries off in a totally authentic way with no irony.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

@ hedonist, here is the link to Crystal Flacon: http://flacon.ambaric.net/index.php?...d1e307a487b052

OP, there is always the option of just waiting until you've been a member of BN for one year. Time flies, Sept. 2014 will be here before we know it.

My experience with Basenotes transactions has been great, better than the Bay. I second the BN Plus membership comment, FWIW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Do I hear Yard sale just get your DHI and cross your threshold and put the one you selling apart from your Collection and put in on EBay or get your 500 post soon, or wait a year and put aside all the the ones you selling through this time on a different locale from your rotation of 15..yes, you're gonna be over the 15 mark but the bundle of frags that you will post for sale are separated from your repertoire ...pretty simple ; do not make this and OCD issue please and enjoy juice and if you find a juice sublime by all means buy it and thank GOD for that nose you have and ability to enjoy this Hobby without hindering the venture with OCD matters......Peace and GodBless!!!
    btw, when reselling you're most likely to take a lost but at least you will get some of the cash spend back , So all is not lost ...and at least there is a way to resell frags that have been used or even swap them for another enticing one.....atleast this option Exist this time of age!!! Thanks to basenotes and others on the Net....etc.....
    lol I'm fighting the OCD urges, man. I really am. Good advice, though. I think I've found someone to buy the first bottle (fingers crossed) so if all goes well I won't have to decide whether to exceed my limit. If it gets to that point, I will remember your advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post

I imagine Brut. Cheap drugstore scent. Classically masculine. Retro. Which of course he carries off in a totally authentic way with no irony.
    Thanks! That movie is classic. No worries about the highjack... I think he'd probably go with whatever's on sale ; ) He's high half the time...

I picture him wearing something like Cool Water. Maybe because its just a safe, cheap fragrance you can get anywhere. My dad wears it and he doesn't care about fragrances at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    @ hedonist, here is the link to Crystal Flacon: http://flacon.ambaric.net/index.php?...d1e307a487b052

OP, there is always the option of just waiting until you've been a member of BN for one year. Time flies, Sept. 2014 will be here before we know it.
    Just checked Crystal Flacon... interesting. I knew something like it existed!

I don't think I can wait 'til September... Hopefully I won't have to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post

Rochas Man would seem to smell most like a White Russian.

I don't think I can wait 'til September... Hopefully I won't have to.
    I believe you are also still eligible to start sales threads one you hit 500 posts, so if you stay active and engaged in discussions here you can reach that in short order.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ebay is my 1st option

+1 for Ebay
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Ebay is my 1st option

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Be prepared to take a financial hit. If you plan to get rich reselling used fumes, you will likely be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Be prepared to take a financial hit. If you plan to get rich reselling used fumes, you will likely be disappointed.
    True enough.

(3585)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Agree; selling usually results in a hit. I only sell here at Basenotes. Why? Because when I take a hit, I know its going to a good member here and it will be enjoyed. I'd love to become more of a collector, but when on a budget, I start feeling guilty if I don't get a chance to adequately use what I have within reason.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?