Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Cartier Roadster?

The first time I smelt a cartier fragrance was Declaration when I received a sample in the mail from macys with a fragrance purchase. My open opinion was that it smelled offensive and reminded me of body odor lmao. I just wanted to get it off my skin and it wouldn't wash off. I see cartier roadster getting some decent feedback and kudos. Question is how does this stuff smell and is it nothing like declaration? On a side note I smelt therre de hermes a few weeks ago and it reminded me of declaration but really toned down and I didn't mind it so much but definitely not my cup of tea.

Default Re: Thoughts on Cartier Roadster?

It definitely doesn't smell like Declaration to me. I get a soft minty feel from this scent. I personally like it.

(2847)
    Last edited by hednic; 9th January 2014 at 04:13 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Nothing like Declaration. Roadster is a beautiful cool mint-patchouli fragrance.

Have you tried Declaration Essence? Very nice flanker that has some similarity to the original but has a strong birch tar note and little or no cumin (the BO note).

You're correct to make a connection between Declaration and Terre d'Hermes, both loaded with iso e super.

Roadster is nothing like Declaration. It has a minty scent, with a darker patchouli and woody drydown. I enjoy it.

I found Roadster to be a scrubber after a while. The mint (which admittedly is not my favorite note) was just too over the top IMO.

I like mint when it is a bit more subtle, and it is anything but subtle in this one.

I think Roadster only got 3 stars in 'The Guide'; damned with faint praise, amongst the faithful. I find it very good and quite unusual. Although I prefer the unrelated Declaration if push comes to shove.

Roadster may work for you - freshly cut grassy mint opening (this is from the same perfumer who created Herba Fresca) and then a pretty ordinary wood thing that isn't likely to offend. I found it pretty disappointing, myself and I really wanted to like it because the bottle is cool and I wouldn't have minded owning one - I really tried.

A fantastic opening.

A disaster of a mid.

And a good, solid drydown/base.

Roadster opens so promising. I think the mint note is great. About half an hour in a strange mineralic/flinty thing comes into play, clashes with the mint and screws up the vanilla and obscures the vetiver and patchouli notes. Just when you think everything's fallen apart the flinty part disappears, and in the end you're left with a nice, easy vanilla/patch/vetiver base with a trace of mint up top (i.e., a kind of dark woodsy vanilla with touch of mint).

I've always wished that Roadster gets redone. Get that mineralic flinty thing out of there, tighen up the heart accord a little bit and it would be great.

I like it. And I wear it, but not as much as I'd like to due to the awkward middle stage.

By the way, it's nothing like Declaration at all.

Yup - a bit of a missed opportunity, this one, a real shame. Mathilde Laurent is capable of amazing stuff and a straightahead woods+ thing for guys can't be easy to screw up . . . maybe the bean counters and marketing people got to work on it?

Roadster & Pasha are the 2 Cartier's fragrances I strongly dislike.

I don't own Declaration (or any of its flankers) but I would definitely take any of its incarnations any day, instead of the 2 afore mentionned.

I can appreciate fresh, herbal, minty...I do enjoy YSL Live Jazz...But Roadster, no thank you...just don't like the scent.

Now, Roadster Sport is hands down one of my favorite summer fragrances...love it !!!
    Last edited by LJD; 9th January 2014 at 05:10 PM.

It's a decent mint frag. I wouldn't buy a bottle but I didn't feel like I needed to scrub it off either.

Declaration does have a "human/slightly sweated man" smell to it, Roadster on the other hand has no such thing, in fact the 2 smell very different, Roadster is a herbal mint fragrance done in a very elegant/classy but casual way, think jeans and button down white shirt. However, if you want to buy it blind then I would advice against it since it might turn bad on some skins (sadly mine is one of them) so be sure to skin test it first

I'm a huge fan of all fragrances Cartier, but the original Roadster gets stuck in my craw for some reason. Much prefer the Sport edition to the original.

I sampled it on my skin while at Macy's a couple of weeks ago. I love mint, but I couldn't stand Roadster. The vanilla-mint-patchouli combo smells medicinal and 'old' to me... Like it would be for a much older person (I'm 29). If you like mint allow me to suggest the Guerlain Homme line... Much better to my nose.

Roadster is nothing like Declaration. I didn't enjoy Declaration but I own and enjoy the rose-centered Declaration d'Un Soir. Great for formal and/or romantic occasions. Goes to show a flanker can outgun the original...

I agree with everything Buysblind said, except that I can't wear it. I really wanted to like Roadster, but each time I wore it I found myself wishing I hadn't.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I kind of like Roadster, this is my go to summer work fragrance, it's safe, pleasant and is great for the office. which is good when im dealing with team members/managers/stakeholders/etc, it's not in your face but has a fresh smell that sits well.

great for summer!

Too much mint for my taste. Reminds me of tooth-paste. I prefer Pasha over Roadster.

I sometimes like and sometimes hate Roadster. Its mint is acquired taste. Drydown is nice and comfortable sweet woods which lasts on my skin untill next day and reminds me of basenotes of original Guerlain L instant PH. It is definitely different than Declaration. Modern like most Cartier scents but not safe blind buy.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

the way everyone is describing and to the dude who mentioned he likes live jazz, is seems to me I wouldn't like roadster. My friend had been trying to get his hands on his fathers live jazz bottle because he really likes the frag and wanted me to smell it. Have to admit it is a very pleasant refreshing smell but to me it just smells like a bunch of mint leaves or like a mojito. Personally I wouldn't wear it. So if this stuff is like live jazz I probably wont care for it too much.

Live Jazz to me smells more serious/older and mint in it is different. Roadster is modern scent, IMO easiest way to describe it would be minty (like peppermin) chocolate (just minty on top but becoming more and more sweet on drydown).
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Declaration is nice, but ya gotta wait for the dry down really. The opening is definitley spicy and can give off that body odor vibe, I certainly agree with you on that. Roadster is nothing like it though, but the woodsy dry down in Roadster is on the same style as Declaration, both of which are very smooth and have this distinctive wood smell (not sure what type of wood note they are using -- my guess would be cedar). With Roadtser, just be sure you love mint, because the first 4+ hours is a mint abomination.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Apart from Idole, it's the only bottle design that I really dig.

I prefer IO by Carthusia for a mint kick though

im going to give roadster a try. I haven't seen it any any retails stores yet unless I just wasn't searching enough. Im usually looking for the niche stuff in bloomingdales. Side note again, I smelt tobacco vanilla and I must admit its something else but I really would not pay 290 dollars for a 100ml bottle and a 1.7 being 210. I know fragrances have different qualitys and take more expensive ingredients to formulate but sometimes the price of a scent is crazy. My most expensive fragrance is ambre narguile

Souds good .

I prefer the sport version, although many do not like it.

Like Mr. Rynegne, I think the sport version is a tad better, but they're both bottle-worthy. Complex, modern, and the super nice packaging wins big bonus points. They're both highly versatile. Recommended.

One of the smoothest mint-scented and even slightly soapy-green fragrances, especially in the designer segment.

I like Roadster personally and much prefer it to the sport version.
    I know what people mean about Cartier scents being kind of "almost but not quite" sort of things. I had some samples of Declaration break in the post and the frag saturated card smelled magnificent. It wasn't quite right on my skin though. I feel that Pasha is almost a superb scent too, but there is something about it that doesn't quite work for me.

Roadster is quite deceptive...
    The fresh minty top notes makes you think this is a summer scent, but as it dries down, the freshness quickly dispels.
    Fortunately, the mid to base notes are magnificent and long lasting.
    Definitely not a safe blind buy... but make sure you allow it to develop for a full day before making your judgement.

Roadster is nothing like Declaration.

A bit too green and grassy for me. And not like Declaration at all.

I like it and own a bottle. Same goes for Declaration and d'Un Soir.

Loved the bottle, but not the juice. Just could not get on board with this one. Luckily I bought it from a place with a liberal return policy.

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

One of the best designer fragrances in the market imo. Smooth vanille mixed with sweet mint.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Roadster is a light mint scent..
    Timewaster- does not have any longevity

I spray Roadster on fabric and get longevity. After revisting it, I find I like Roadster. I need to spend more time sampling the Sport version.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

instead of roadster - roadster sport is much better fresh smelling
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

I completely agree with the OP.

I just sprayed this on, and had to jump online immediately, because I needed confirmation that my nose wasn't broken.

based on the reviews I thought that I would like this one a lot.

the first blast smelled nice and fresh. off to a good start
    after a few seconds I start to get the mint leaf that Ive heard so much about. nice, nice.
    but within the first 5 minutes I start to get what smells to my nose like Body Odor. yuck

I am new to this fragrance community, and my nose is no where near as refined as some of you long time members. but I can now say with a fair amount of certainty that I can identify the patchouli note, and that I don't like it. On most days I think that I would Identify with the hippie ideal, at least in theory, if not in practice. but I for the life of me, I can not figure out why anyone would want to smell like the unwashed arm pits, of a homeless hippie.

I hope the dry down gets better.

I find Roadster quite versatile and all-year round.
    I like it very much and have very good performance from it, longevity is easily over 6 hours specially if sprayed on fabric.
    It's somewhat unique to me and overall a quality scent....
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme