Code of Conduct

Default What is Parfum de Toilette in terms of concentration?

Since I've begun my journey into Vintage scent, I keep running into Parfum de Toilette but I'm not clear what this means. Can someone help me know, is this the equivalent of Eau de Toilette? Or something else entirely?

Thanks all.

Default Re: What is Parfum de Toilette in terms of concentration?

imo almost equivalent to edp strength - mostly find these with vintages (Guerlain's)...now I'm intrigued, what did u find in this strength & how old is it?

Until very recently some Guerlain frags eg. Jicky were sold as PdT. Now the same concentration is labelled EdP, I believe.

Never heard of that term! Interesting.
    "Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." -Mark Twain

As you know, there's no official definition of these terms. Guerlain used to have PdTs of many of its classics. As badarun was saying, they are much stronger than edts, but weaker than parfums in terms of concentration. But as usual, it's not just a matter of concentration, the formulas can be different as well across concentrations. I don't know the relation between them and later edp's - in this case, the difference could also be one of reformulation across time.

In any case, from what I've read here on BN, the Guerlain PdTs seem to be talked about in very positive terms. I own a Shalimar pdt and it is indeed wonderful.

cacio

Yup, around EDP concentration but I've only ever seen this designation with Guerlains. I have a Mitsouko PdT that is excellent.

I actually think Vero Kern is reinventing this idea with her Voiles de Parfums a bit - essentially 'sprayable' versions of the Extrait with some enhancement - a 'top down' approach, rather than an 'amped up' version of an existing EDT, which seems to be what a lot of EDPs (and 'Intense' flankers) seem to be these days where no Parfum exists.

Are there other well known houses historically other than Guerlain that have used the designation?

(2866)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks for the explanations all.

Ditto for me. The PDT is the same as EDP. I have the versions of Jicky.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

When I researched the PdT versions of Guerlain, Elena Vosnaki's defenition had been very helpful.
    "Generally speaking Parfum de Toilette (PDT) is the equivalent of Eau de Parfum, perhaps a bit more spiked towards the higher end of percentage of aromatic compounds (20%), a very lasting, velvety concentration. One of the houses that really rode this notion high in the 1980s was Guerlain, before dropping the term in lieu of the standard Eau de Parfum in the 1990s: Each and every one of their Parfums de Toilette in their popular perfumes was stellar."
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

Hi Hedonic, there was a period in the 1980s when a bunch of perfume houses used this term. Guerlain most famously: it's only in the late 1990s that Guerlain bowed to the general trend and relabeled them as EdPs (and also changed the formulas, truth be told).

But other companies used the designation: Coty for Emeraude, L'Origan, and a bunch of others; Rochas used it for Femme until the 1989 reformulation. There are others, though I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Are there other well known houses historically other than Guerlain that have used the designation?

(2866)

I have Jicky pdt but also from the early 80s a bottle of Rochas Femme in pdt.

So other houses did use the term.
    DONNA

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I have Jicky pdt but also from the early 80s a bottle of Rochas Femme in pdt.

So other houses did use the term.
    I'm 'honoured' to have approximately 45mil remaining of the original formulation Hermès Calèche Parfum De Toilette. I also have approx 7 mil of the parfum. The Parfum De Toilette is circa 19804, but the parfum is circa 1995. I'd say both are jolly close to being equal in strength.
    However, my young daughter, (in her early twenties), who loves Calèche, (which I suspect strongly reminds her of her mother), was given a recent bottle of the 'new' formulated Soie de Parfum. She doesn't care for it at all and says it is almost 'harsh' or 'stinging' in its scent when first applied, but quickly dies down. But she says it also needs refreshing come mid-day, or a change to something else. I still can't (yet), convince her, however, to take the parfums. She worries about her room-mates helping themselves to them. I suppose I don't blame her. Wise girl!

Fr B+