Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Slumberhouse- Not Loving it

Since there is a huge following here of this house, I wanted to try these. I have so far only been able to try two. Sadly, they have not impressed me. I hope there is room on this forum for a critical view of these fragrances, too.

Pear and Olive, this is considered a favorite so I had high hopes. At first it is a soapy blast, pear? Maybe. Something akin to hand soap. If there are florals here they are masked in a plastic haze. My husband objected to the scent as soon as he walked into the room. As it goes on it doesn't seem to change much. Remaining soapy and plastic on me at least. Also, it is super strong and difficult to remove. Tenacious, slightly greenish, but not anything I would enjoy living with.

Ore-
    slight cocoa reference in the beginning gives way to resins simulating something burning. The transition seems awkward and forced. I've had gourmands and woody scents that were far more successfully blended than this. PG-Aomassai, and Montale Chocolate Greedy,
    to name a couple.

On the plus side, I will save a lot of money if I don't get hooked on another house.

I should also mention one of the reasons I tried these particular scents first is because I am, personally, tired of incense and Aoud in practically everything nowadays. I think it makes most things smell very similar.
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th January 2014 at 05:20 PM.

Default Re: Slumberhouse- Not Loving it

I love Norne. However, it's the only Slumberhouse I've tried. Sometimes Norne strikes me as more of a great scent than a fragrance, but I love it nonetheless.

I understand they are quite potent (except for pear and olive). I only tried Ore which I really like. I am in the slumberhouse sample pass, so I will check out a few others soon.

Oh P&O is pretty damned potent in its own right - just not in the resinous way of Josh's other fragrances.

P+O is far from my favorite, but I run from soapy scents as fast as I can. Thankfully I get nothing soapy from this at all -- boozy zdravets, algae, massoia, and of course, the pear. I also dislike cocoa gourmands, but Ore works due to the ingredients and exceptional blending. Synthetic cocoas like the Montale (Coze has some cool materials in it, and I think it's quite brilliant) have a bad effect on me -- I find them to be extremely sickly. Ore is pretty much the highlight of this genre for me, and wears beautifully on my skin -- largely because it's a non-gourmand gourmand, meaning you don't smell like cakes and deserts. Nothing burned or even simulating anything burned for me, just lots of creamy balsams and musks.

Slumberhouse certainly isn't for everyone -- and I personally think that's one of its greatest attributes. To a degree, these are scents that upend traditional perfumery -- a gesture that I fully appreciate. But yes, measure, sharp critical thoughts on the scents are always welcomed! There are several that I don't get along with, and a number of them took quite a long time for me to "get." Grev, for example, I hated the first few times I wore it, but once I came around to the aesthetic and let some of the more accessible scents become regulars in my wardrobe, I returned to it and found that my initial dismissal was unfounded. Grev's now one of my favorite scents.
    Last edited by deadidol; 9th January 2014 at 07:02 PM.

I've only tried a few and they haven't really been my thing either I guess.

Pear and Olive, I got more coconut than anything else and the dry down wasn't for me. Pear, I have little luck with that note. It has a nice sweetness for a little bit but agree, there is something plastic-y/soapy about it for a bit...sweet and musky some...I just don't care for it but again, I really think I don't like pear as a note anyway.

Iska- White Out note and woods at first, not for me. I thought the wood may have been an oud, possibly oud+ sandalwood? The White Out opening is strange...does get better with some booziness to it...but it's more about the woods than anything else. Like oud with a wine spill on top. I don't see oud listed in the notes though..smells more of oak a little as it dries. So, it's White Out>boozy woods>more about the woods. I don't smell suede at all and I see in the BN directory that it's one of the notes. Has a bit of sweetness as it dries down too. And something slightly mentholic. I guess there is saffron in there, I haven't sniffed many saffron scents I guess.

Eki- almost anise smelling at first then becomes a minty magnolia+musk... it got a little nicer as it dried a bit. While there is something nice in there floral-wise for a bit..it's just too minty, becomes too sweet..in a cloying way a bit.

No offense to anyone..that's just what I got from the ones I've tried.
    Last edited by kalli; 9th January 2014 at 07:24 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

There's definitely room for dissent, kumquat.

Sova, Norne and Vikt are the ones I never want to be without, but I readily admit that P+O took some getting used to (although I have my own bottle now). It's quite unlike most of the other stuff in the line though. And yes it is extremely tenacious - I still catch random whiffs of it days later!

And it's funny, but P+O and Ore are the two scents I never thought I would ever want to wear - pear (fruity) and cocoa (gourmand) respectively - and I daresay Josh's handling of those notes changed my perception of them.

Having said that, Sana is the one Slumberhouse I've somehow never been able to get my nose around - just comes across as overripe fruit to me. Which may just be as well - I occasionally I think of the money I would have saved if I had never discovered Slumberhouse...

Haha, rowan - you're not the only one there!

Ore surprised me hugely on first sampling as I fully expected to dislike it intensely, but it's one of my favourites (so far) - it's still difficult to actually believe that I bought a scent with cocoa in it!

But they are very different from 'traditional' scents and undoubtedly not to everyone's taste.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Ore surprised me hugely on first sampling as I fully expected to dislike it intensely, but it's one of my favourites (so far) - it's still difficult to actually believe that I bought a scent with cocoa in it!
    Ha! I'm the same -- the last thing I want to smell like is candy. And that's exactly why Ore works so well for me. The prior version of it really did smell too much like cocoa (and it was way too strong), but this version is perfect -- it's like a cocoon of balsams and resins with just a touch of cocoa lingering to add interest.

I don't find them exotic. I don't find them great. I like Jeke. It's the best thing he's made.

Kind of a shout out but..I think one of the best super indie lines I've sniffed is Garner James/Wooznib on Basenotes. Worth checking out, imo. PK Perfumes also has some interesting stuff going on.
    Last edited by kalli; 9th January 2014 at 07:42 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

The only one I've experienced was Pear & Olive and I scrubbed it. However, much like Kalli, what I got from it was almost nothing but coconut which I find overwhelming most days. I used to love coconut, but now I find I can't stand it as a prominent note.

Based on the name, I was anticipating a juxtaposition of the sweetness of Pear with the tart bitterness of olives, instead, the whole thing was quite sweet.

Still, I'm interested in sniffing the others as there are plenty of lines where I don't like all things, but I do LOVE some.

I haven't tried P&O yet - Mare is an interesting one.

Blog Entries

Danieq, oh so it's coconut! That's a fair description. I couldn't put my finger on it. I really found it disagreeable. And it's an artificial coconut at that. Much like banana or strawberry flavoring- it doesn't come near the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Of the ones I've tried, the only one I disliked was Pear + Olive. However, after having an "I wonder what'll happen if I shake the sample before spraying" moment, I was converted and will get a bottle sooner or later. Not that shaking it before spraying is going to have the same effect if I'm only going to spray twice, at the most, per wearing. Sova, Norne, and Jeke are my most-worn. My Ore scenario was pretty much the same as lpp's and deadidol's, although I've only worn it a couple of times.

In general, I find that Slumberhouse does sharp, interesting scents juxtaposing potent ingredients. So far, I have not found any that I would truly want to buy. But among the hundreds of perfume that smell consistently uninteresting, one can appreciate the style.

I think the two you've tried are not representative. As others were saying, the one that seem to generate the most interest are the ones based on conifer and resins, like Vikt or Norne. Again, one must like the particular material and they are pretty sharp, but at least it's clearer what they're trying to do.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Danieq, oh so it's coconut! That's a fair description. I couldn't put my finger on it. I really found it disagreeable. And it's an artificial coconut at that. Much like banana or strawberry flavoring- it doesn't come near the real thing.
    Just to clarify, there's no coconut in P+O at all -- and there nothing artificial in it either For things like banana and coconut, there is no natural version in perfumery. Many fruits don't actually give off a scent and require what are called "fantasy accords." But no, definitely no coconuts were harmed in the making of P+O.

What you're smelling in P+O is massoia bark mixed with chamomile. The ingredients of P+O are: pear, cognac, chamomile, algae, olive, massoia and calamus. The materials involved are absolutes, CO2 extractions, and concretes.
    Last edited by deadidol; 9th January 2014 at 09:30 PM.

@Kumquat, I will admit that I'm not a fan of the line. The Pear & Olive is a cloyingly sweet scent that made it a no go for me. The others that I have tried are okay but really nothing too special.(IMHO)

Love Sova, Ore, and Jeke for me. Love P + O on my wife. I respect Norne but it's not my style (I feel like I'm wearing a pine tree).

Mare is the only one that I don't really like.

Skin types and noses are very different, I can understand people having different reactions to the line!

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    The only one I've experienced was Pear & Olive and I scrubbed it. However, much like Kalli, what I got from it was almost nothing but coconut which I find overwhelming most days.
    It's overwhelming coconut on me too - you guys aren't alone.

I thought I'd like the pear, as I loved the pear in Memo Sundance. Otherwise, I haven't encountered pear very often in perfume.

More for me.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Just to clarify, there's no coconut in P+O at all -- and there nothing artificial in it either For things like banana and coconut, there is no natural version in perfumery. Many fruits don't actually give off a scent and require what are called "fantasy accords." But no, definitely no coconuts were harmed in the making of P+O.

What you're smelling in P+O is massoia bark mixed with chamomile. The ingredients of P+O are: pear, cognac, chamomile, algae, olive, massoia and calamus. The materials involved are absolutes, CO2 extractions, and concretes.
    Yes, calamus sounds right. That accounts for the greenish soapy note. Chamomile, too. I'm unfamiliar with massoia bark. I'll take your word for it.

Blog Entries

I guess my example of Chocolate Greedy wouldn't be my first choice of a preferred chocolate. One of the few that come to mind is actually Angel. I like the daring balance there with the patchouli. I just don't respond to the chocolate/resin/ wood afire mix here in Ore. with the addition of vanilla I am reminded of S'Mores that have caramelized and are burning in the fire. But that is some expensive firewood with some fancy furniture oil on it.

Yeah, Angel makes sense. Lutens' Borneo 1834 does the whole cocoa / patch thing quite well, too I find. But I agree that Coze is awesome. Ore is just a different aesthetic altogether in that it's more musky / resinous. He tends to veer more toward balsamic, almost chef-like scents that can be pretty jarring at times. There used to be one called Brosse that was almost like celery salts over cocoa; I couldn't get my head around it at all. His own taste veers towards sweet scents, but he's very invested in these odd vegetal type notes too, so you'll see them get smashed together a lot, which is part of what makes the line a little unappealing to folks who lean more toward traditional perfume aesthetics, or at least familiar materials.

Ore's largely structured around balsams and whiskey lactone, but it also has this very striking material called oakwood in it, which is basically an extraction of the wood of old wine casks. I have some of the material myself, but it's so expensive that it limits what you can do with it. On its own, it has a slightly fruity tone to it, but it's essentially a boozy oak scent.

Have you tried Fueguia 1833's Xocoatl? That's vanilla, rum, and cocoa, and might be a little closer to what you're looking for.
    Last edited by deadidol; 10th January 2014 at 01:32 AM.

We each must be true to our own noses. Slumberhouse scents are potent, yes, and I can't wear them all, but I do want to SMELL them all repeatedly. I find them glorious, as you know. Have you tried Blackbird, kumquat? I just did and I love it. It reminds me of Slumberhouse, has the same complexity and depth, but it's lighter and my nose says it has florals hiding in the richness.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Have you tried Blackbird, kumquat? I just did and I love it. It reminds me of Slumberhouse, has the same complexity and depth, but it's lighter and my nose says it has florals hiding in the richness.
    Blackbird's a different beast altogether -- I love it as well. It is much softer, but it can be jarring due to the seaweed note. It's *perfect* on me, though, and those musks are incredible!

Ore's largely structured around balsams and whiskey lactone, but it also has this very striking material called oakwood in it, which is basically an extraction of the wood of old wine casks. I have some of the material myself, but it's so expensive that it limits what you can do with it. On it's own, it has a slightly fruity tone to it, but it's essentially a boozy oak scent.
    This sounds incredibly appealing to me. I am finding myself drawn to lightly sweet, woody and resinous lately. I also think that the pine scents will be interesting.

This sounds incredibly appealing to me. I am finding myself drawn to lightly sweet, woody and resinous lately. I also think that the pine scents will be interesting.
    I guess my example of Chocolate Greedy wouldn't be my first choice of a preferred chocolate. One of the few that come to mind is actually Angel. I like the daring balance there with the patchouli. I just don't respond to the chocolate/resin/ wood afire mix here in Ore. with the addition of vanilla I am reminded of S'Mores that have caramelized and are burning in the fire. But that is some expensive firewood with some fancy furniture oil on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    It's overwhelming coconut on me too - you guys aren't alone.I thought I'd like the pear, as I loved the pear in Memo Sundance. Otherwise, I haven't encountered pear very often in perfume.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Kind of a shout out but..I think one of the best super indie lines I've sniffed is Garner James/Wooznib on Basenotes. Worth checking out, imo. PK Perfumes also has some interesting stuff going on.
    Any of you ladies try Flou yet? Another I would recommend is obviously Zahd - if you had ordered it. Both are amazing on women imho.

My sis & her daughter (my 7 yr old neice) - both adore Flou...I should add my neice demands to wear it from time to time (I keep it in my wardrobe).

Blog Entries

Probably I 'll try Jeke and Norne and some others as soon as they are available on LuckyScent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Any of you ladies try Flou yet? Another I would recommend is obviously Zahd - if you had ordered it. Both are amazing on women imho.

My sis & her daughter (my 7 yr old neice) - both adore Flou...I should add my neice demands to wear it from time to time (I keep it in my wardrobe).
    Not familiar with Flou. This is Slumberhouse? Is it discontinued then?

Not familiar with Flou. This is Slumberhouse? Is it discontinued then?
    Yes, Slumberhouse; maybe discontinued; but samples should be available online for sure.

I wish that I smelled more of certain notes in P and O but don't. I don't find the complexity in this line that has been mentioned either. Eki with its sweetness, just overpowers the florals..I am wondering why some magnolia scents are so minty? I haven't smelled an actual flower, does it have a mint note to it? I really don't care for the mint.
    Last edited by kalli; 10th January 2014 at 04:58 AM.

I've haven't sampled this house. For some reason, the urge has bit me yet.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I sampled some of them last year - the standards like Norne, Vikt, Jeke, Sova, Grev, and also Rume & P&O. At the time I thought they were interesting, but too strong for me. What was really interesting to me was that I got an "oily" impression from the Pear & Olive. Oily is not something I associate with scent, it is more of a feel, or flavor IMO. The pear & Olive was also too strong (in fact, I was reprimanded at work when I wore it there), but I did admire that the scent conveyed oily olives. I was disappointed that the pear didn't shine through as much as I would've liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    I sampled some of them last year - the standards like Norne, Vikt, Jeke, Sova, Grev, and also Rume & P&O. At the time I thought they were interesting, but too strong for me. What was really interesting to me was that I got an "oily" impression from the Pear & Olive. Oily is not something I associate with scent, it is more of a feel, or flavor IMO. The pear & Olive was also too strong (in fact, I was reprimanded at work when I wore it there), but I did admire that the scent conveyed oily olives. I was disappointed that the pear didn't shine through as much as I would've liked.
    Many of them have been toned down dramatically and work more as skin scents now. They're still very strong, but the projection has been dialed back and they're far more intimate now. P+O is still very strong, though. And yes, the Olive Absolute is a very striking material that as far as I know hasn't been used in anything else. It compliments the cognac and geranium really well.

Blog Entries

If you've ever had this; Belle de Brillet, you know the pleasure of warm cognac and pear essence. When they make a perfume that gives me this- I'm all over it like a duck on a June bug!

Blog Entries

Massoia bark? OMG - if I'm not mistaken, that one is now banned in its entirety by IFRA, due to the (as always, minor) possibility of irritation. (Some discussion here.) Fortunately for the mainstream, there are several alternatives, most of which are chemically similar to massoia lactone, with less risk of irritation, but of course not with exactly the same aroma.

Nice to see somebody *explicitly* giving IFRA the boot. Although I appreciate IFRA, too - my new love, Polo Red, is clearly hypoallergenic, thanks to IFRA standards. I can spray with abandon and never notice any irritation properties in the back of my nasal passages (which I have found are very sensitive detectors of chemical irritants and allergens, and which can distinguish older frags from newer ones very reproducibly).

PS - found this reference to massoia bark CO2:

http://www.victorie-inc.us/massoia_bark.html

The statement they make about safety is a total dodge. CO2 extraction is famous for the wonderful characteristic of not damaging the aroma profile of the source material by heat and/or chemistry, and massoia lactone (the actual primary aroma substance, or one of them) is, I'm very certain, the actual form of the substance in vivo (i.e., it's not hydrolyzed to the acid, which would probably be worse anyway). Bottom line - any problem of the steam distillate from massoia lactone is probably the same or worse in the CO2 extract. Whic makes that statement the aromatic equivalent of the designer drug dodge. Tsk, tsk.
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 11th January 2014 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Nice to see somebody *explicitly* giving IFRA the boot.

Many of the "West Coast Indies" are using top-shelf materials that would make the IFRA clutch at their pearls. It's really only an issue with Euro distribution and folks determined to be outraged by something. These are the same materials that have been used in perfume successfully for years. Lines like this offer viable alternatives to the damage the IFRA has done by relying on such evocative, textured natural materials rather than watered down chemicals.

This also related to what Kalli noted above with the mention of smelling mint in certain florals. What you usually find in modern perfumery has little / no connection to its natural counterpart; there is no coconut extraction available, for example, so when coconut is referenced in a perfume, what you're getting are synthetic "impressions." Massoia is used here to achieve a more natural effect as that material has a lactonic, nutty quality to it that mirrors what a coconut tastes like.

Another example might be that when you smell rose "perfume," chances are you're smelling damascones—"rose" chemicals used in a ton of perfumes that have little relation to what roses really smell like. So when you run into a rose otto (an actual extraction of a rose), the smell can be jarring because the actual scent of a rose is far more complex and dirty than you might expect. What Slumberhouse (and a number of other lines) do is use materials that actually reflect the way things smell in nature -- which is often not "pretty" or "easy." That's what makes the line stand out and challenge folks who prefer fragrance counter / mass-produced type stuff.
    Last edited by deadidol; 11th January 2014 at 05:39 PM.

I've tried 5 of them and I find them hard to wear. The one which I quite like and I think is more wearable ,is Grev.

Blog Entries

Interesting, ​Red,​ as the P&O did give me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciprian View Post
    I've tried 5 of them and I find them hard to wear. The one which I quite like and I think is more wearable ,is Grev.
    Grev is the closest thing he has to traditional perfume -- it was designed with a sort of "gentlemen's cologne" in mind. That genre's not to my taste, but Grev works well for me. Ironically, it's one of the least liked amongst fans of the line.

If you've ever had this; Belle de Brillet, you know the pleasure of warm cognac and pear essence. When they make a perfume that gives me this- I'm all over it like a duck on a June bug!
    No, I've never had that, but I'd like to taste it. I love the smell and flavor of pears.

Many of them have been toned down dramatically and work more as skin scents now. They're still very strong, but the projection has been dialed back and they're far more intimate now. P+O is still very strong, though. And yes, the Olive Absolute is a very striking material that as far as I know hasn't been used in anything else. It compliments the cognac and geranium really well.
    Thanks for the tip, deadidol. Maybe Josh doesn't want to branch out this way, but the fragrances I mentioned seem as though they'd work well as body oils or lotions.

Blog Entries

Interesting, ​Red,​ as the P&O did give me a headache.
    Perfume headache is an interesting topic that's not really well-understood, IMO. There are a lot of IFRA-approved fragrances that will give specific people headaches, but have no effects on most people. I have a friend whose headaches we linked most likely to benzyl salicylate - a very common natural aromachemical - which is, as you can tell, chemically related to both wintergreen (methyl salicylate) and aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid). Wintergreen has headache as a symptom of overdosage - perhaps some people are just very sensitive, in a phenomenon which may be like a minor version of migraine, which is now a better-understood physiological phenomenon.

Back on topic, I don't like Slumberhouse myself, but I respect them. They are a lot like certain types of world music that I respect but don't love. I love stuff like bagpipes, native American flute, Japanese string instruments, and Indian stuff of all kinds, but there are other things (primarily horns, Eurasian ethnic dance music, *most* African vocals) that I just find odd and perhaps charming or fascinating, but simply not "enjoyable". So when Turin used the analogy he did for Slumberhouse Norne (hunting horn ensemble), I was totally with him.

Perfume headache is an interesting topic that's not really well-understood, IMO. There are a lot of IFRA-approved fragrances that will give specific people headaches, but have no effects on most people.
    80% of what's sold at Sephora / fragrance counters will either give me a screaming headache or turn my stomach

Back on topic, I don't like Slumberhouse myself, but I respect them. They are a lot like certain types of world music that I respect but don't love. I love stuff like bagpipes, native American flute, Japanese string instruments, and Indian stuff of all kinds, but there are other things (primarily horns, Eurasian ethnic dance music, *most* African vocals) that I just find odd and perhaps charming or fascinating, but simply not "enjoyable". So when Turin used the analogy he did for Slumberhouse Norne (hunting horn ensemble), I was totally with him.
    I think this is key -- these scents are more like objects of fascination than anything resembling a perfume whose sole purpose is to achieve a goal of smelling "nice" or what have you. There are no crowd-pleasers here, and some of them are quite difficult to deal with (Norne was that way the first time I tried it, and Mare . . gah!). But I'm predisposed to such things, partly because of the line of work I'm in. Art / literature that's easy to swallow just doesn't move me in anyway, but something that stops me in my tracks and shakes up what I think I know about the subject is what gets my attention. That's why lines like SH, O'Dri˙, Bogue etc. appeal to me—it's not just weird for the sake of being weird; they're offering something that the industry has no interest in offering. Whether you parse that as "challenging" or not is entirely subjective. To me, Acqua di Gio or one of those Mugler A*Men things is 100% challenging, whereas something like Ore is incredibly easy to get along with
    Last edited by deadidol; 11th January 2014 at 06:05 PM.

I purchased a Slumberhouse sample pack last week and found Pear+Olive not to my liking--I enjoyed the olive very much but the pear was just too sweet on me. Ore, Jeke, and Sova were okay but not FBW. However, I fell in love with Norne and will be ordering it when it's back in stock. Just a sidenote about the material in Norne--it is so full of resins/sap/whoknowswhatelse that my wrists stuck to the laptop while i was wearing it. A friend suggested putting it on the tops of my wrists instead!

The general style of the house doesn't appeal to me.
    Though, I can understand how they appeal to others.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

I thought I was the only one NOT impressed with slumberhouse. I bought a sample pack from luckyscent, they're not terrible, but I wouldn't wear any of them
    Last edited by Preston H; 12th January 2014 at 05:47 PM.

All the ones I've sampled are incredibly strong. I like Baque during the dry down....however, it has probably one of the most off-putting openings I've ever experienced. It was almost unbearable. Seriously...I can't describe how much I hated it. The dry down, however, was very nice.

Also ordered the sample pack. I recognize the quality and appeal but not for me. Had problems finding appropriate occasion to wear them. Love their longevity and projection, just not the actual notes. Wish they would come out with a floral or leather chypre. Will keep an eye open for new releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    I thought I was the only one NOT impressed with slumberhouse.
    Tried a few also. Not crazy about them either.

(3008)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Tried a few also. Not crazy about them either.

(3008)
    I could not let myself go for them - if that makes any sense. It's like impulse control. Slumberhouse are all "wrong" - but in a beautiful way. I think that's why I respect them so much. They're the olfactory equivalent of risky sex with beautiful strangers. Stealing a hot car with your teenage buddies and going for a joyride. Making a designer drug that's technically legal but of unknown effects, though probably psychedelic, and being the first to try it. Or - to put a simpler and closer spin on it - sniffing gasoline. Fahrenheit does that in a way that earned it classic status. Josh just seems to have a knack for pushing the limit even farther, but still keeping the results realistic as a fragrance.

So when I smell his works, it's like, "This is too radical for me, but WOW." And for those who can keep their eyes on the screen, it's like goin' to the movies and seeing all the things I mentioned above. Only with your nose.

Slumberhouse is "pulp olfaction" at its best!

I could not let myself go for them - if that makes any sense. It's like impulse control. Slumberhouse are all "wrong" - but in a beautiful way. I think that's why I respect them so much. They're the olfactory equivalent of risky sex with beautiful strangers. Stealing a hot car with your teenage buddies and going for a joyride. Making a designer drug that's technically legal but of unknown effects, though probably psychedelic, and being the first to try it. Or - to put a simpler and closer spin on it - sniffing gasoline. Fahrenheit does that in a way that earned it classic status. Josh just seems to have a knack for pushing the limit even farther, but still keeping the results realistic as a fragrance.

So when I smell his works, it's like, "This is too radical for me, but WOW." And for those who can keep their eyes on the screen, it's like goin' to the movies and seeing all the things I mentioned above. Only with your nose.

This describes the aesthetic to a tee -- nicely done!

Now, hand me that gasoline . . .

I think of SH fragrances as the Da Vinci art during the dark ages. There'll be a time in the future, when this house & it's creations will be looked with awe - as I don't see any other brand making parfums with as much depth as SH (not saying no other brand is / can make with such depth, I'm yet to come across any that have impressed me as much as a SH fragrance does)...Now imagine a 100 yr old vintage Ore extrait - hmmm...

80% of what's sold at Sephora / fragrance counters will either give me a screaming headache or turn my stomach
    Quite a high tolerance level then?

Blog Entries

For a chocolate note in a rich base, I'm looking forward to trying Profumum- Sorriso. ​Has anyone tried it?

I ordered a sample set about a year ago and ended up buying none of them.

Blog Entries

Sorriso ​is quite new. It's supposed to be chocolate orange. I just haven't had a chance to try it.

Sorriso ​is quite new. It's supposed to be chocolate orange. I just haven't had a chance to try it.
    I sampled their line about a year ago and I don't want to sample anything from them again.