Code of Conduct

Default Where to find suit deals?

My brother is getting married in March, and they're trying to do this on a tight budget. He's asked me to help find awesome deals on suits. I know of places like Gilt and HauteLook...and of course Men's Warehouse always has deals.......but I was wondering if you guys knew of some other (less common) sites to check out. Any help is appreciated!!
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Default Re: Where to find suit deals?

The Mens Warehouse is supposed to be good, as well as Joseph A. Banks.

I used to do all of my suit shopping at Syms. They had the real deal quality merchandise for much less than retail, with decent tailoring services. But unfortunately they closed... just like NBO (National Brands Outlets). NBO wasn't quite as good as Syms but they were cheaper.

Basenotes Member

Mary's had frequent sales. Their Tommy Hilfiger and DKNY slim fit suits though fused but will do if only worn occasionally.

If you have a Nordstrom's Rack in your area that is a good place to start. Also www.hautelook.com can have some good deals. Hautelook is owned by Nordstrom. The selection isn't huge.

Besides Men's Warehouse you might want to try K&G.

From what I have found Macy's seem to have better deals online than in the store.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Unless your brother is tall and big-boned, I'd avoid Mens Wearhouse and Joseph A Banks. They make low-quality suits, have bad tailors, and try to sell you multiple suits at once (introducing fake markup, saying a suit is worth $700, but then saying buy-one-get-two-free). Their suits are not worth that much.

Have your brother measure himself or get measured at a tailor and shop for used suits on ebay - you can get great brands like Paul Stuart, Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman, etc. for <$300. And these are suits that don't use glue and won't fall apart, and the wool will be very nice. Macy's Bar III and j.crew Factory's Thompson suit are cheap new alternatives.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by throwbookatface View Post
    Have your brother measure himself or get measured at a tailor and shop for used suits on ebay - you can get great brands like Paul Stuart, Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman,
    I buy all my suits on ebay. Definitely the way to go. In fact I buy 90% of my work clothes on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    If you have a Nordstrom's Rack in your area that is a good place to start.
    Absolutely, they have some very nice deals on very good quality crafted suits.
    (3580)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Suit Depot on eBay. Name brands. Combatant Gent website as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    My brother is getting married in March, and they're trying to do this on a tight budget. He's asked me to help find awesome deals on suits. I know of places like Gilt and HauteLook...and of course Men's Warehouse always has deals.......but I was wondering if you guys knew of some other (less common) sites to check out. Any help is appreciated!!

I get my suits from Suits 20/20 in Skokie, on the chicago border Not sure if that's near you or not. They have suits at all price points. I've also considered a custom suit from DeLouice in Bucktown.

Side note:

Marshall's and Value City have decent suits from time to time. Picked up a nice Michael Kors pinstripe suit last year for $100.
    Last edited by Erok32; 30th January 2014 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks, guys!! All are places I've checked out as well. I actually prefer Hautelook over Gilt.....and have also purchased the majority of my work clothes on ebay (can find steals if you're willing to wait).

Regardless....he found the suits he was looking for at a great price ($140, marked down from $600). Not sure where (I've asked), but he's happy with the find.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Belatedly, I’d like to mention Suit Supply. It’s slightly out of the desired price range, but I think they’re the best in town for what they offer at <$500.

Quote Originally Posted by Potpourri View Post
    Belatedly, I’d like to mention Suit Supply. It’s slightly out of the desired price range, but I think they’re the best in town for what they offer at <$500.
    Suit Supply is great value for the money and actually have well made and stylishly cut European style suits instead of most horrible boxy crap available elsewhere for similar money. Avoid Men's Warehouse!

Men's Warehouse is usually, like, "buy one get 10 free."

That being said, I wouldn't shop there.

You can find amazing deals on designer suits through eBay. Just make sure you know your size, then after a little custom tailoring, you'll look top-notch!

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    You can find amazing deals on designer suits through eBay. Just make sure you know your size, then after a little custom tailoring, you'll look top-notch!
    Exactly! That is what I do too.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/