Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: One spray? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Good attempt to divert from your original statement that the fragrance can be smelled five minutes before one arrives. Clearly that statement had no basis in reality.

If you want to spend big bucks on scent, and then apply one spray so that you emit less scent than the guy next to you who put on some Brut or Old Spice deodorant that morning, or smell less than the other guy who put on some Gillette aftershave balm that morning, that is your prerogative. Your 100ml spray bottle should last you just over 3 years. Very economical.

If you feel like saying something is lacking in my life, and that only women should wear scents strongly - well feel free to keep making unsupported speculative assertions based on your perception of reality.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Firstly, the comment about someone's fragrance walking in 5 minutes before they do was a joke. You know? Like "She's so fat her belt size is the equator."

Secondly, when did I say anything about spending big bucks on any scent? And if I did make 1 bottle last 3 years I wouldn't be ashamed of it. By the way I hardly think 1 spray of any scent could be weaker than aftershave balm.

Also, when I said "something lacking in your life" I didn't mean you personally. I meant it as a general criticism of people who use too much scent. And if preferring the scent of a woman over another guy's cologne is an offence then I hold up my hands. I base my opinions on what I've seen or experienced in real life. I try not to make quick assumptions about people I've only encountered on online forums. I've seen elsewhere what that can lead to. I also don't need anyone pointing out any imperfections they perceive me to have.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    He may have been exaggerating with a whole five minutes, but it's not an outlandish statement. I've worked in two offices where colleagues (both women) could be smelled well before they actually appeared.

At one of those offices, I remember reading the newspaper on my lunch break - it was one of those "life & style" inserts, with an article about fragrance that said "Your perfume should announce you before you enter a room." I remember thinking "bollocks."
    Exactly, what I'd be thinking. Hey, if some people do want others to know exactly what scent they're wearing without having to ask them, it's their freedom of choice. It's just that my choice is different.

I've never smelled anything that was so strong that I would only wear one spray. As regards the question of where to place the hypothetical one spray, I would say the base of the front of the neck/extreme upper sternal area where it would be exposed by an open collar. To me it makes no sense to spray lower on the chest and then cover it up with clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbrut72 View Post
    Firstly, the comment about someone's fragrance walking in 5 minutes before they do was a joke. You know? Like "She's so fat her belt size is the equator."

Secondly, when did I say anything about spending big bucks on any scent? And if I did make 1 bottle last 3 years I wouldn't be ashamed of it. By the way I hardly think 1 spray of any scent could be weaker than aftershave balm.

Also, when I said "something lacking in your life" I didn't mean you personally. I meant it as a general criticism of people who use too much scent. And if preferring the scent of a woman over another guy's cologne is an offence then I hold up my hands. I base my opinions on what I've seen or experienced in real life. I try not to make quick assumptions about people I've only encountered on online forums. I've seen elsewhere what that can lead to. I also don't need anyone pointing out any imperfections they perceive me to have.

In my opinion, you seem to be into subtle negative putdowns, then try to wheedle out of them when challenged,

"As we all know, some fragrances are so strong they only require one spray." - one is ignorant if one doesn't know or agree with what "we" all know.

"Some of us don't want to have our scent walking in 5 minutes before we do. Subtlety is the key." - unambiguously false statement about what "us" don't like, and a put down to those who like wearing scents strongly. When challenged - then it "was a joke"

"If you need to use scent to show the world you're here then there's something lacking in your life." - unambiguous put down. When challenged "I didn't mean you personally" - oh it wasn't aimed me personally, so who was it aimed at, why it was aimed "........as a general criticism of people who use too much scent. ", that is me and everybody else here who flouts the newly proclaimed golden rule of scent application.

"Only women should smell strongly of fragrance" - another putdown to male wearers of strong scent, and when challenged about this newly proclaimed golden rule, why it just transmutes into only having been a strong preference -"And if preferring the scent of a woman over another guy's cologne is an offence then I hold up my hands."

"By the way I hardly think 1 spray of any scent could be weaker than aftershave balm." - another unsupported assertion. I've smeared and tested Gillette aftershave balms on my wrist. Strong output for three hours and then they conk out. There are plenty of EDTs that barely last three hours with strength in the same test.

"I also don't need anyone pointing out any imperfections they perceive me to have." - I haven't, but I will now - you don't like criticism of the what I perceive to be the falsely premised and unsupported statements that you write,
    Regards,
    Renato

Why not your right wrist? Lol

I wear too much jewelry on the right side!

Blog Entries

In my opinion, you seem to be into subtle negative putdowns, then try to wheedle out of them when challenged,

"As we all know, some fragrances are so strong they only require one spray." - one is ignorant if one doesn't know or agree with what "we" all know.

"Some of us don't want to have our scent walking in 5 minutes before we do. Subtlety is the key." - unambiguously false statement about what "us" don't like, and a put down to those who like wearing scents strongly. When challenged - then it "was a joke"

"If you need to use scent to show the world you're here then there's something lacking in your life." - unambiguous put down. When challenged "I didn't mean you personally" - oh it wasn't aimed me personally, so who was it aimed at, why it was aimed "........as a general criticism of people who use too much scent. ", that is me and everybody else here who flouts the newly proclaimed golden rule of scent application.

"Only women should smell strongly of fragrance" - another putdown to male wearers of strong scent, and when challenged about this newly proclaimed golden rule, why it just transmutes into only having been a strong preference -"And if preferring the scent of a woman over another guy's cologne is an offence then I hold up my hands."

"By the way I hardly think 1 spray of any scent could be weaker than aftershave balm." - another unsupported assertion. I've smeared and tested Gillette aftershave balms on my wrist. Strong output for three hours and then they conk out. There are plenty of EDTs that barely last three hours with strength in the same test.

"I also don't need anyone pointing out any imperfections they perceive me to have." - I haven't, but I will now - you don't like criticism of the what I perceive to be the falsely premised and unsupported statements that you write,
    Regards,
    Renato
    Oh no you didn't! That's telling him.

Tonsils, also, I agree with Renato.

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    How about 1 spray on the taint?

Regards,
    Renato
    I wish I would have enough knowledge of the English language to put it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    What?! I don't think ANYONE is talking about being afraid of their fragrance being detected by others.
    This forum regularly has threads about avoidance of 'over-spraying', often defined in the most conservative and sheepish terms imaginable. Obviously the initiators and sympathisers (One Spray Club) are afraid of others detecting their fragrance, or they wouldn't bother discussing it in the first place. Being pre-occupied about one's scent being detected and seeking affirmation and reassurance indicates a lack of confidence in wearing scent. It must make wearing something actually designed to be detected by others a dubious pleasure. If I were always metaphorically looking over my shoulder I'd find a different hobby, less likely to induce an attack of the wobbly knees.

Regards,
    Renato
    You're like a dog with a bone aren't you. What do you want me to say? You're right and I'm wrong? Well done you win the prize? I only started this thread to ask for some general opinions from people. You however couldn't resist picking everything I post to pieces to justify your arrogant inflated opinions. You seem to see yourself as a mind reader, knowing better than me what I meant by every post I've written. And then dismiss out of hand my honest explanations. I was willing to respect your opinion at first but as you clearly don't respect mine, then I certainly don't respect yours. So in that vein I couldn't care less what you've done with balm, scent or anything else. Two can play at the criticism game.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Telling me what? Telling me I don't have a right to a different opinion? Utter claptrap.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Telling me what? That I don't have the right to a different opinion? That I can't start a thread with an honest question without being patronised?

Who misses the point of the thread which I started with a simple honest question entirely.

I started this thread with a simple honest question, based on my own personal experiences and preferences. The constructive answers that some of you have given so far have been a great help. Thank you.

I joined this site to garner opinions from people have more experience of the scent wearing and collecting hobby than myself. I don't work in the industry and I don't pretend to be an expert.

I respect the opinions of those who have more experience than myself, hover I expect some magnanimity in return. After all, If I asked my pharmacist for a particular brand of hand cream, I wouldn't expect him to start ridiculing me in front of his colleagues and other customers just because he preferred a different brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    This forum regularly has threads about avoidance of 'over-spraying', often defined in the most conservative and sheepish terms imaginable. Obviously the initiators and sympathisers (One Spray Club) are afraid of others detecting their fragrance, or they wouldn't bother discussing it in the first place. Being pre-occupied about one's scent being detected and seeking affirmation and reassurance indicates a lack of confidence in wearing scent. It must make wearing something actually designed to be detected by others a dubious pleasure. If I were always metaphorically looking over my shoulder I'd find a different hobby, less likely to induce an attack of the wobbly knees.
    I think there's a difference between being afraid of others being able to smell one's scent and being mindful of what's appropriate for varying situatiw. Personally I'm not afraid of other people being able to smell my scent if it's pleasant and suited to the occasion. I enjoy getting comments from others regarding my scent choices. I've also experienced the negative reaction from others which results from wearing too much or too powerful scent. (The finger to the nose. The just out of earshot comments like "What the hell is he wearing? It's far too strong!" The sudden realisation that a particular scent doesn't work for me personally.) As I've said elsewhere, my original question was based on my personal experiences and preferences. I'd like people who meet me to think I smell nice. I hate the idea of being the guy who gets called smelly and repulses people's senses.

I usually only spray once - that is on each wrist, back of both hands, sides of neck, sternum and nape of neck

If restricted to one spray it would be the back of my right hand so I can smell it throughout the day.

You're like a dog with a bone aren't you. What do you want me to say? You're right and I'm wrong? Well done you win the prize? I only started this thread to ask for some general opinions from people. You however couldn't resist picking everything I post to pieces to justify your arrogant inflated opinions. You seem to see yourself as a mind reader, knowing better than me what I meant by every post I've written. And then dismiss out of hand my honest explanations. I was willing to respect your opinion at first but as you clearly don't respect mine, then I certainly don't respect yours. So in that vein I couldn't care less what you've done with balm, scent or anything else. Two can play at the criticism game.

If you put forward opinions rather making grandiose pronouncements, then I don't think there would be any significant issue other than a mere difference of opinion - which happens here all the time.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
    I usually only spray once - that is on each wrist, back of both hands, sides of neck, sternum and nape of neck

If restricted to one spray it would be the back of my right hand so I can smell it throughout the day.
    Good answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    You make your point particularly well. I recollect posting here a decade or more ago a "What's the point?" thread - asking what the point was of wearing scent in such tiny amounts that the guys wearing Brut and Old Spice antiperspirant would out do you in the scent output stakes? I've had plenty of responses over the years, ranging from the importance of subtlety to the unspeakable joy of a woman as she snuggles up to one's neck, and finally detects the magic scent.

That said, I can understand how some individuals do feel insecure and effectively ask for reassurance here. It's just part of their make up, possibly because they are introverted and/or are too preoccupied about what other people think of them. It saddens me that often their illusory fears are often reinforced here. While you and I may tell them not to worry about what other people think about them (if they actually in reality think anything about them at all), others here give counter advice effectively telling them to worry about it. I often wonder whose advice they wind up taking - that which resonates with their fear, or that which asserts their fear is unfounded.
    Regards,
    Renato

Blog Entries

Exactly right, Renato. We don't need to be putting others down when expressing our own insecurities.

Peace for everybody

I've been busy with other stuff since I was last on here but I want to make a few points.
    I
    Firstly, I think it's a bit rich to be told by someone that I'm making "grandiose pronouncements", when their 1st post on this was to question the validity of my initial question and every post since has more or less stated that they know better than me what I meant by what I said.

Secondly, nowhere have I stated that I only ever wear 1 spray of any scent or that no one should wear more than 1. Maybe some people are members of the 1 scent brigade. I'm not and I certainly haven't got any inaccuracies about wearing scent, otherwise why would I have expressed an interest in this site in the first place?

Thirdly, I never started this thread with the intention of putting anyone down. When others start putting me down however, I certainly won't stand back without defending myself.

Finally, I do hope this thread can continue in a more friendly and peaceful manner. That, after all, was the intention of my lighthearted initial post.

I've been busy with other stuff since I was last on here but I want to make a few points.
    I
    Firstly, I think it's a bit rich to be told by someone that I'm making "grandiose pronouncements", when their 1st post on this was to question the validity of my initial question and every post since has more or less stated that they know better than me what I meant by what I said.

Secondly, nowhere have I stated that I only ever wear 1 spray of any scent or that no one should wear more than 1. Maybe some people are members of the 1 scent brigade. I'm not and I certainly haven't got any inaccuracies about wearing scent, otherwise why would I have expressed an interest in this site in the first place?

Thirdly, I never started this thread with the intention of putting anyone down. When others start putting me down however, I certainly won't stand back without defending myself.

Finally, I do hope this thread can continue in a more friendly and peaceful manner. That, after all, was the intention of my lighthearted initial post.

Of course I meant to say insecurities in the 2nd paragraph. Not inaccuracies. :-D

Firstly, I think it's a bit rich to be told by someone that I'm making "grandiose pronouncements.................................... .."

"As we all know, some fragrances are so strong they only require one spray."

"Some of us don't want to have our scent walking in 5 minutes before we do."

"If you need to use scent to show the world you're here then there's something lacking in your life."

"Only women should smell strongly of fragrance"

Regards,
    Renato

"As we all know, some fragrances are so strong they only require one spray."

"Some of us don't want to have our scent walking in 5 minutes before we do."

"If you need to use scent to show the world you're here then there's something lacking in your life."

"Only women should smell strongly of fragrance"

Regards,
    Renato
    Read the final paragraph of my last post again. I stated a wish for this thread to continue in a friendly lighthearted manner. It's a shame that you don't share that wish.

Wow, from where I'm sitting a new member came here, asked a legitimate question, received a few earnest answers, and then got pounced upon and insulted by another member and a few cheerleaders. WTF, guys?

Personally I wear fragrances for myself, just like I listen to music for my enjoyment, so, with exceptions (e.g. dates, parties), I'm not too bothered if other people can or can't smell them. I'm pretty sure they can though, if I can smell them.

Indeed I'm also not after compliments (again with exceptions, I do value the girlfriend's opinion) or comments from strangers. I don't get the urge to collect compliments. If this can be filed under insecurity or not having a need for attention seeking (as my beauty will make me stand out anyway)? Perhaps a bit of both, depending on mood.

I also understand, even though I may be guilty of it myself at times, that some people wear too much fragrance and that others may find it intrusive. As someone who enjoys fragrance I don't mind it much as I will try to sniff out what they're wearing but for others it may be like someone sitting next to them playing their music too loudly. There were situations, mostly in summer, when people wore A*Men style sweet bombs or very musky fragrances and I felt that it's too much in the heat/on public transport.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 13th January 2014 at 12:48 PM.

It would be nice to see this thread continuing without fighting, please.

Those who just wish to post without arguing, please continue - it's only a fragrant liquid...

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post

(as my beauty will make me stand out anyway)

Join the club -- it's quite small

Chest. Two sprays of certain frags and my gf acts like she runs into a force field when she gives me a hug. I've filled the cabin of my vehicle with two sprays to where picking up friends elicited polite but immediate comments. The scent was even complimented, but it was clearly stated that there was a lot of it. People who tout their own opinion as fact, fail to see the subjectivity in the comments of others, see everything as an insult, and shout down any opinion differing from theirs probably don't have many opportunities to get close enough to anyone for one spray of a strong fragrance to do its job. 80% of my rotation gets three-four sprays, but there are definitely one and two spray scents.

"Some fragrances require only on spray" Onerous lie told by an insecure fool.
    "No fragrances require only one spray" Gospel truth that can never be questioned and must be accepted by all.

Read the final paragraph of my last post again. I stated a wish for this thread to continue in a friendly lighthearted manner. It's a shame that you don't share that wish.

Firstly fire a shot -
    "...............when their 1st post on this was to question the validity of my initial question and every post since has more or less stated that they know better than me what I meant by what I said."
    pretending I've been putting words in your mouth, rather than exactly quoting what you wrote.

Then fire another shot -
    "When others start putting me down however, I certainly won't stand back without defending myself."
    playing the victim game.

Then a heartfelt call for peace. Very touching.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Wow, from where I'm sitting a new member came here, asked a legitimate question, received a few earnest answers, and then got pounced upon and insulted by another member and a few cheerleaders. WTF, guys?
    I don't think there was just a question. There were also some comments made by the "new member" that could be considered to be abrasive.

@oldbrut72: With respect, you are fairly new here and frankly, I hope you stick around and become a valued member of the community.
    It's fine to be opinionated (we all are on this site), but my advice is to be a little cautious before you make general "statements of fact".
    Many Basenoters will call you out when you make such statements.
    In this case, it was Renato who called you out... but in my opinion, his response was not a personal attack and you chose to challenge him.
    Not surprisingly, a Basenotes warhorse like Renato accepted your challenge and stood his ground.
    Renato is a veteran of many Basenotes battles, including the great "wear any fragrance you like" gender battles... and in fairness, I don't recall him making personal attacks.

I was rightly "spanked" a few times by more knowledgeable Basenoters when I joined this site.
    When reflecting on those experiences, I realised that my posts sometimes deserved the given response.
    Stick around and you will get a feel for this site and I'm sure you will enjoy the Basenotes comradery.
    This really is a very friendly and educational place when you adopt the attitude that there is much to learn from other Basenoters (as I have done).

My 2 cents

Even if my fragrance is strong I usually use 2 sprays with one being on exposed skin usually on the neck and the other under my shirt.
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Firstly fire a shot -
    "...............when their 1st post on this was to question the validity of my initial question and every post since has more or less stated that they know better than me what I meant by what I said."
    pretending I've been putting words in your mouth, rather than exactly quoting what you wrote.

Then fire another shot -
    "When others start putting me down however, I certainly won't stand back without defending myself."
    playing the victim game.

Then a heartfelt call for peace. Very touching.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Well surprise, surprise. Look who wants to continue the fighting.

I don't think there was just a question. There were also some comments made by the "new member" that could be considered to be abrasive.
    What about the abrasive comments in my direction? That's ok is it?

As there was a request (post #89) to continue posting without the fighting - which is being ignored by some here, this thread is being closed.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    As there was a request (post #89) to continue posting without the fighting - which is being ignored by some here, this thread is being closed.
    I didn't want to continue fighting. Others saw to that.

Neck, making sure to get some on my shirt collar.

Edit: just snuck in there!

Oops, sorry - forgot to close it - please carry on for now...
    (next fighty post will be the last)

Edit:

Default One spray? Where?

For me most of it is 1 spray at chest, due to my environment. Each to its own style and likes.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Chest

What I have noticed is that one spray (or more) on the sternum provides a nice scent stream throughout the day if the top button is left undone. Haven't noticed it when wearing t-shirts but maybe didn't spray there.
    It also means you don't look suspicious sniffing your hand every 5 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
    What I have noticed is that one spray (or more) on the sternum provides a nice scent stream throughout the day if the top button is left undone. Haven't noticed it when wearing t-shirts but maybe didn't spray there.
    It also means you don't look suspicious sniffing your hand every 5 minutes!
    +1... I find the same. Using one shot to the chest I smell it throughout the day. Nose never gets fatigued.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin