Code of Conduct

Default For How Long Can You Smell Your Fragrance After Applying?

I am wondering, without bringing your wrist to your nose or anything, for how long do you continue to smell your fragrance after you've applied it?

I find that for me, it's only a few minutes and then I must bring a body part to my nose to detect it. With that in mind, how can one ever hope to determine silliage and projection and longevity?

Default Re: For How Long Can You Smell Your Fragrance After Applying?

For me, it depends on the very fragrance. As I only apply on the neck and chest, some project for hours and I can be standing still or moving and I will smell it continously throughout the day. With others, I wonder whether I have forgotten to put on a fragrance after the morning shower.

(2875)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm very much like you. I get at most 30 minutes but it's usually closer to 10-15 minutes. I only have one fragrance that gives me just over an hour.

Totally nerding out for a minute, this is how I usually test sillage: Take several steps forward, stop abruptly, take a step backward and start sniffing -- Lol.
    Last edited by caferacer; 10th January 2014 at 04:35 AM.

queen of the universe

I find the old cotton ball in the bra trick keeps increases longevity, as does spraying on fabric in general. Applying to cotton or other fabric seems to allow the top noes to bloom anew.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

Well the thing with this situation is that your nose gets used to the smell. The purpose of your nose is to pick up on scents that are dangerous to you. If they aren't deemed a threat then your nose just dismisses the smell. With this being said its very likely that you will only smell a fragrance for a bit after applying it to the skin. It doesn't mean that the scent isn't there, it just means your nose dismissed it.

I, like hednic, only spray my neck and chest. But with some fragrances I can detect them hours after application. With others I can't tell after the initial spray. It depends on the fragrance.

hmmm just a few minutes?

It's difficult to give a definite answer because of two factors:

Number of sprays
    Which perfume

Some perfumes project monstrously (like Leather Oud) while others become skin scents (like Idole de Lubin).

How many sprays are you spraying?

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

As others have said, this very much depends on the fragrance.

l also find that a fragrance l thought was "quiet" can bloom unexpectedly in certain situations. For example, l apply my fragrance before dressing, & then walk twenty minutes to work. When l take off my coat, l suddenly get a huge burst of fragrance, because my body has warmed up from walking, & this takes quite a while to calm down. Therefore temperature & the amount of physical activity you are undertaking can definitely affect things, for good or ill!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Depends on which fragrance I'm wearing. Since I also spray on the chest, and usually on the forearm, I generally can smell the scent for hours. Sillage on the other hand is a problem area for me. I can't get a handle on it. I ask my wife or a friend at work who also wears fragrances and whose judgement I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Oproust View Post
    I generally can smell the scent for hours. Sillage on the other hand is a problem area for me. I can't get a handle on it. I ask my wife or a friend at work who also wears fragrances and whose judgement I trust.
    Same thing here

My experience is similar to Danieq's. Sillage is usually hard for me to detect. Scent lasts for 12 or more hours on my wrist when I sniff it. It's easier for me to experience my scents when I don't over apply.

I agree with everyone who feel this is highly variable. The question is, if you could smell it continuously throughout the day and your nose didn't get use to it; 1) Does this mean that it doesn't jive with your chemistry, and 2) Would you find this annoying or enjoyable?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Depends on the fragrance.

I think a lot of it depends upon your own particular nose; your tendency to become anosmic to a scent you're constantly picking up. If wafts of fresh air reset your nose pretty effectively, you should be able to pick up on your fragrance if it has decent sillage. In my experience so far, after a few hours many fragrances turn to skin scents. That could be partially due to my skin, how it absorbs what is applied topically. I've been trying to moisturize more before applying a fragrance and at times it does seem to extend longevity but not much of an effect on sillage.

some scents for 8 hrs, some others less!

Use a spreadsheet...assuming you apply in the morning before work, annotate each frag on the SS (keep it on your desktop). Have a note section at the end of each line to record such things as where you sprayed, and if you still detect any smell along with the time of day (I usually base it on 2pm timeframe).
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I am wondering, without bringing your wrist to your nose or anything, for how long do you continue to smell your fragrance after you've applied it?

I find that for me, it's only a few minutes and then I must bring a body part to my nose to detect it. With that in mind, how can one ever hope to determine silliage and projection and longevity?
    Impossible to answer this unless you deal with specifics - which fragrance and how you apply it. But minutes seems a bit strange, even with an EDC.

A few scents seem to project longer, a single spray of La Myrrhe or Miel de Bois for example. But my Shalimar (modern will project only for about 10 or 15 minutes. I spray 5 sprays on forearm, chest and neck. I guess I must become anosomic rather quickly. I can smell these for hours and hours with a direct sniff.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

In the most ideal scenarios where little or no olfactory fatigue was happening, a few hours to the next day at the very most.

What I'd like to know is what fragrances a majority of people have found to have excellent longevity coupled with reasonably lasting sillage (meaning it doesn't turn to a skin scent until 8+ hours have passed), while still being a well received/desirable formulation. No hijacking intended--just a quick rundown or link to one of the more useful threads about it.

I usually can smell myself easily four to six hours later depending on the fragrance. Now no doubt someone standing a few feet from me might not.
    DONNA

Difficult questions. Sometimes I think the scent is gone but then when body temperature rises or I get a little sweaty it pops up again.

Very subjective , what fragrance, where I'm going, what I'm gonna be doing and how the weather fairs plus am I gonna spray my clothes or not!!!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I always have the same problem with most fragrances. I spray my chest and back of my neck and usually can't smell anything past an hour. I even try spraying my clothing and it doesn't seem to matter until I notice it when I'm taking my shirt off. There are a few fragrances that I can smell throughout the day with the same spraying. I wish they all did this. It's annoying to me that I can't smell certain things without putting my arm to my nose. I want my scents to be noticeable to me for several hours.

It very annoying to me too to spray a fragrance on only to have to search for it an hour later. It all depends on the fragrance and number of smells like most here have said. Anosmia is most likely the culprit here. In a perfect world, one spray would smell all day.

Of course fragrances differ in projection, but I think what most of us experience is olfactory fatigue, more than the fragrance itself actually disappearing that fast. Too many times I've thought a scent I'd put on in the morning was pretty much gone, only to hug a friend in the evening and have him or her compliment me on my fragrance. Granted, that means they got in close, but it's more than I thought was detectable at that point.

Some notes (and aromachemicals) must create olfactory fatigue much more than others. I'd implicate Iso-E-Super, for instance, which seems to make a vanishing act of stuff like Jubilation XXV or some of the CdG incense series, only to have the fragrance pop right back up later, or be projecting quite well for others while your own nose is completely done.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ambers
    Orientals
    Some Incense
    Patchouli based scents lasts the longest

Quote Originally Posted by Navyy8 View Post
    Use a spreadsheet...assuming you apply in the morning before work, annotate each frag on the SS (keep it on your desktop). Have a note section at the end of each line to record such things as where you sprayed, and if you still detect any smell along with the time of day (I usually base it on 2pm timeframe).
    Interesting. Do you have long-term data?