Code of Conduct

Default Plastic atomisers ok?

I want to decant some of my fragrances to have in my handbag/at work. Are plastic containers ok? Or do I need to look for glass/steel?

Default Re: Plastic atomisers ok?

Plastic should be fine - not sure whether I'd leave anything special in one for many years but that's unlikely to happen if using the small ones.
    I find that they're useful for applying stuff that was supplied in 'splash' bottles too.

Blog Entries

Plastic atomisers are fine for carrying small amounts around with you, & of course they're less breakable than glass.

But l agree with lpp; l wouldn't store fragrances in plastic for long periods. l've found from experience that fragrance can evaporate fairly quickly from plastic containers.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I would be careful. It depends on what type of plastic is being used. Some aromachemicals (e. g. Limonene, found in all citrus oils, and quite a few others) can pass through certain plastics. The advice not to store fragrances for a long time, is good.

That's interesting David - thank you!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    I would be careful. It depends on what type of plastic is being used. Some aromachemicals (e. g. Limonene, found in all citrus oils, and quite a few others) can pass through certain plastics. The advice not to store fragrances for a long time, is good.
    I didn't know-thanks for the info.

hmmm...I have also been wondering if aluminum does anything to "change" the scent??

Thank you. I'm going to go with glass.

Plastic is fine.

I have several small plastic atomisers (don't know which plastic). They seem fine. I have bought some glass ones previously and of the 10, I smashed 2 when trying to fill them. I think good quality glass is best but plastic is OK also.

Do not go with pure glass because, inevitably, you will sooner or later drop it with disastrous consequences (it's not so much the loss of material, but the glass splinters - dropping a glass vial in a gym's locker room will probably cause physical harm, specifically to your face when other members stepping on a piece of glass start punching you). But if you want to avoid plastic, you can go with metal, or with glass covered in metal. Most so called "travel atomizers" are in these materials.

cacio

Been using plastic atomizers for over a yr with zero issues .. strongly recommend
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Plastic atomizer are ok but containers holding juice being plastic is a NO, NO! Only metallic plastic is suitable as a travel pocket sprayer !!

There is a reasoning why perfumers only use plastic on atomizers/sprayers/caps only and don't use plastic as a container for holding fragrance ...so I would adamantly oppose using a plastic canister to hold precious juice, only if it's an $90.00USD and under frag...!!!
    Last edited by magnus611; 10th January 2014 at 08:00 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I just tend to put some in a plastic atomiser when testing from a non-spray sample vial, or for short-term use.
    Small glass atomisers are on my 'to do' list...

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Plastic atomisers are fine for carrying small amounts around with you, & of course they're less breakable than glass.

But l agree with lpp; l wouldn't store fragrances in plastic for long periods. l've found from experience that fragrance can evaporate fairly quickly from plastic containers.
    To add to that sometimes the perfume reacts with the plastic. i dont know why, but it happened to me once..

It depends on the concentration of course, and the type of plastic, but some aromachemicals can dissolve or soften plastic. This is not the same as the phenomenon I described above, whereby some chemicals can pass through some plastics. Dissolving or softening will also affect the smell of the fragrance; usually adversely.

Blog Entries

FWIW I've never had problems with long-term use of plastic atomizers.

Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I use both without an issue

Had no idea this was possible. Interesting.

(3071)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I use glass for the reasons David Ruskin mentions. I wrap thin strips of tape around the bottle so that the glass will be contained if I drop it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    I wrap thin strips of tape around the bottle so that the glass will be contained if I drop it.
    Great Idea. Thanks.

I only use glass atomizers. I don't know if plastic ones will do anything to the perfume or not. I'd rather not find out!

Been using plastic atomizers for years with no issues ... Would be wary of glass, might drop it and splatter glass everywhere (ie gym floor). Not good.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin