Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Has anyone ever insulted your fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    We call them "animalics"
    Ba-Dum-Chuuuh If only she understood.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman
    Currently wearing: Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

When I had SMW on one arm and Al Rehab Silver on the other, my mother and brother couldn't tell the difference but my father said that SMW smelled nice and Silver smelled like a perfume of choice of a hooker. I was surprised my mother didn't ask my dad about where his knowledge of hookers' smell come from:-)

Hilarious.

Our lovely housekeeper, Ms. Rose (40 something and loves rose fragrances, coincidentally) said to me one evening, after a 1 spray application to the chest..

"Wooooh?! What is that smell? You smell like death! I can smell you from the garage!" (a good 20 feet away.)
    "Please dont wear that in the middle of the night, I might smell it and think ghosts are haunting me."

Vintage 1994 YSL Kouros

LOL
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

Years ago in junior high a friend gave me a bottle of fragrance, and being young and dumb, I badly overapplied it. I dipped into my locker and kept applying it between each class period. I arrived early to one class, and a person subsequently walked in the door, crinkled up his nose and loudly said "ugh, it smells like church in here."

I once wore Tabac Blond extrait to a garden party in the south of France,(in very hot weather) and a friend of mine said I smelled like a 17th century whore.
    I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the evening. He was probably right.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Basenotes Plus

None of my fragrances are sentient, to my knowledge, so I don't think they get offended.

I'm indifferent if someone doesn't like what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    A woman I didn't know once did at a club

I said that I had the option of changing fragrances but that she would still look like a horse in the morning
    I didn't know you met Sarah Jessica Parker!

Two people just commented that something in our office smells... smells like hospital.

Fragrance: White Aoud.

Lol, I wonder what would they say if I wear Black Aoud or Dark Aoud...

Anyway, one attractive lady checked me out (turned head) when I passed by her few minutes after I applied it... so I take it as a compliment.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 30th January 2014 at 02:36 PM.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    There are some hilarious replies in here. "You smell like an idiot," might be my favorite one.

Anyway, I was wearing Invasion Barbare today, a young woman enters the room where I'm working and says, "It smells strange in this room…." "That's coffee" her friend replies (I had just used the coffeemaker). "No, not that …there's something else…it's weird…it's like cheese and balsamic vinegar and sweat."

While wearing LIDGE at a social gathering someone said, "Yo! Did someone step in dog shit? It smells like dog shit in here."

And once when I was wearing Terre d'Hermes I walked past someone and heard him say, "It smells like a horse's ass in here."

I still am not 100% sure those comments were in reference to what I was wearing, but I certainly thought twice the next time I reached for LIDGE and TdH.
    Lol.. nice comments.

I wish that my dog has shit that smells like LIDGE. I would not hestitate to share bed (for sleeping!) with such dog.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Bump.

More?
    (Formerly Jouho)

No insults that I can remember. At least not in modern times. There was a comparison of CK Obsession to "bug spray" back in the paleozoic era of my formative years. That's all I can remember. Trying to think......

No, can't think of anything. I can live within the boundaries of society and recognize that dudes who are into this stuff have to partake judiciously.

Once i wore Aramis, a female colleague remarked that i smalled like an old prostitute.
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

"You smell like an idiot" is just such a great line, I can't stop thinking about it. I love that moment when one is insulted but the insult is just so funny you have to laugh at yourself and the whole awkward thing becomes just funny. Henceforth this line should be the default fraternal greeting of basenoters.

I wear my fragrances very lightly so rarely get a negative comment. The wife of course has to get her 2 cents in, but she has provided no really great lines. A typical comment would be dry and sardonic, like - walking past as we get ready to go out - "well, I guess I won't bother wearing perfume tonight." Or, the well timed cough and grumble..."you're choking me!"

Only negative comments I received were while wearing MFK Oud:

"What's that horrible smell, it smells like one of those cheap chinese air fresheners in here" by a colleague of mine when he entered my office

"Eeeeewww, it smells like shit in here" (like, literally...) by a 9 year old girl while giving me an accusing look of shock and disgust...

Still love it though...

I dabbed on some Ramon Monegal Mon Cuir and a buddy at work asked if was wearing old lady perfume. I said it wasn't me. I happen to agree with him on this one.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio
    Currently wearing: Bulgari Man by Bulgari

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    Once i wore Aramis, a female colleague remarked that i smalled like an old prostitute.
    I could not have resisted replying, loudly: "Wow, how do you know what old prostitutes smell like? Go ahead, tell us."

Hasn't happened yet. Knock on wood