Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Has anyone ever insulted your fragrance?

Wore Obsession back in the 80's until one of my girlfriends said, "Did someone pee on you?"....

Never reached for it again...

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Wore Obsession back in the 80's until one of my girlfriends said, "Did someone pee on you?"....

Most likely she was actually a freak for "water sports," and was hinting that she wanted you to give her a nice splashing down. You should have graciously obliged.

Once when I wore 5 sprays of ck encounter I was told I smelled like a drunk Turkish hooker. I think the guy's ex was Turkish and it ended badly so he was probably specific about nationality for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post

That stuff is so weird. That one and Givenchy Pi. Man, on some people, they're magic. On others: dooooooom. Sadly, on me... definitely not-magic.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

My girlfriend she didnt like blue sugar she said is gross too sweet.

I was wearing Dior's Vetiver one day and a colleague of mine in the office said whatever I was wearing is making her want to cry.

I love Cuir de Russie so wear it often. I've been told I smell feminine. I guess that is not really an insult but it does bother me some times. I continue to wear it anyway because CdR is just awesome!

I wore Sycomore, and my girlfriend labeled it as gross.

Basenotes Member

Had a couple of co-workers really not like Anteus. I wore two sprays on a cold day and was ribbed very playfully, but they got their point across. Cut it down to one spray later that same week and they still hated it. This same bunch comes by my desk daily to see what I'm wearing ( I carry my bottles with me in backpack and reapply at lunch) and also compliment when they like as well.

I mentioned these in another thread.

I had a guy at work asked me if I'd been drinking or if I threw an old beer bottle in a trash can while I was wearing GPHii. The same guy told me that "we used to beat up homos that smell like that" while I was wearing Bleu de Chanel. Also got the typical "smells like a French whore house" comments when I was wearing D&G Light Blue and Chanel Allure Homme.

Got told I smelled like an 18 year old girl while I was wearing D&G The One. I eventually agreed and sold my bottle. Just way too sweet for me.

I wore GPHi to work one day, thinking that it's über-woodiness would be masculine enough for my blue-collar coworkers. I was eventually told that I smelled like a pine tree and I was choking people out.

I'm not sure what to make of this one, but a co-worker told me my scent reminded them of the Nutcracker ballet while I was wearing La Nuit de L'homme.

And lastly, my wife was horrified at the smell of LIDGE. Told me I stunk like an old man. I'm glad I didn't blind buy that one based on the hype.i did blind buy DHI and my wife complained that I just smelled like a vanilla candle. I still love DHI though.

Thread winners! Report to the window to collect your winnings
    Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I had an uncomfortable experience at a barbershop while wearing a Bijan fragrance oil. The barber made it a point to shout " Who the F smells like that ". Let's just say I never went back to that shop after that day.
    Hasn't this barber ever heard of Invasion Barbare? Guess he just prefers Barbicide...

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    I was wearing Boise Vanille and a teenage girl said I smelled like an idiot. It was one of the dumbest things I heard in my life I couldn't help but laugh with her
    Adorably stupid…and insulting!

I guess we have all be that guy from time to time.
    Is it possible to be a fragrance person and not be that guy?

I went into a Subway restaurant, and the girl behind the counter said, "Sir?...Are you wearing ladies perfume?" "WHAT?...NO!" I retorted. "It smells like you're wearing ladies perfume, sir." I was wearing Pheromone for Men (Marilyn Miglin). I've worn it very....VERY....little since.

To be honest the biggest critic when it came to colognes I wore was my former "girlfriend". Although once I became single 4yrs ago, my blood pressure is back to normal 115/70... My cholesterol HDL is 56, LDL 111 and my weight 188; about 13lbs more than my MD says. Overall my point is for both women and men wear what you "LIKE" and enjoy it, you only live once.

If someone ever says you smell like cat-piss, or mildew simply say, "Geez, thank you for being an azwhole while noticing that for me, lol" ... Rest assured that'll be the last insult you'll ever get.... Trust me on that
    Last edited by FreshSmell; 18th January 2014 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshSmell View Post
    To be honest the biggest critic when it came to colognes I wore was my former "girlfriend". Although once I became single 4yrs ago, my blood pressure is back to normal 115/70... My cholesterol HDL is 56, LDL 111 and my weight 188; about 13lbs more than my MD says. Overall my point is for both women and men wear what you "LIKE" and enjoy it, you only live once.

If someone ever says you smell like cat-piss, or mildew simply "Geez, thank you for being an azwhole while noticing that for me, lol" ... Rest assured that'll be the last insult you'll ever get.... Trust me on that
    Love it.

>Has anyone ever insulted your fragrance?
    It's impossible because a frag has no feelings
    Some have tried to insult me but without success thanks to my thick skin. It was about Salvador Dali ph and something about the flowery overdose...
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

my ex really hated Coromandel and Amber Absolute, and didn't hesitate to express her feelings.

I was wearing Acqua Di Parma, and a girl I work with asked 'who sprayed the Mortein?! (Bug Spray)

Never wore it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wore Chergui to work the other day and a girl told me I smelled like a farmer...I'm not sure if that is an insult...

Amusing posts...I get "You smell like an old lady" often when I wear Obsession.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Havana..
    I walked past the finest girl at work and she said did somebody forget to take out the garbage..
    We were cool at the time and still are but I will never wear it again

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Havana..
    I walked past the finest girl at work and she said did somebody forget to take out the garbage..
    We were cool at the time and still are but I will never wear it again
    I wish there were fine girls where I work. :-(

I got DISGUSTED looks from friends when I was wearing LIDGE. Yea...it's overhyped.

A common one awarded by my wife is "that smells like camel's ass." This phrase has gone to the likes of Oud 27, Leather Oud and Black Afgano. Needless to say I do not wear any of these fragrances anymore, and I kind of agree with her...
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

"Your cologne is offensive. You smell like rust." - Co-worker to me. Scent of the Day - "Silver" by Al-Rehab.
    "You smell like chemicals." - Same co-worker various different SOTD's on various occasions.
    "You smell like my grandpa." - Different co-worker, SOTD - "Giorgio" Beverly Hills.
    "I knew he was in the back room before I opened the door." My former boss to another co-worker (he told me later.) SOTD: "A&F Fierce."

For awhile after all of these, I stopped wearing anything at work. Then I slowly started again and haven't heard any complaints since.

Quote Originally Posted by thehighend View Post
    I wore TdH EDT to a friend's house party recently. Before heading out the door my gf got a whiff of it. At that moment, her facial reaction was worse than any insult. Needless to say I could tell she wasn't feeling it at all. I sarcastically said, "Oh, so you like this one." She put her face against my chest and smelled again, "Definitely not... Wear it when I'm not around, that way I know girls won't be hitting on you."

lol True story
    I have absolutely no doubt that is a true story. Terre D'Hermes is one of the only ones I've ever owned and wore that received more than one negative comment. It was usually like the situation you just described (not so much a word or words, but a "eeewwww" stink face look as they would kind of back away - LOL). After about the third time, I sold my bottle (I didn't really like it all that well anyway, so it was no big loss)

Jules - as we know people love it or hate it. My wife is in the latter group and says it smells like a ladies cloakroom at the end of a long night. I wouldn't know, of course....Seems like a good reason to keep on wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    I got DISGUSTED looks from friends when I was wearing LIDGE. Yea...it's overhyped.
    Same here. It got some seriously bad reactions. Sold it.

Only here, and indirectly - bro dudesters types who get the vapours at the thought of wearing an 'old lady' style chypre sort of thing - but that doesn't worry me in the least

Come to think of it, if it's one I haven't tried that sort of comment can sometimes be quite helpful.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    A woman I didn't know once did at a club

I said that I had the option of changing fragrances but that she would still look like a horse in the morning
    Now that's funny...

No insults for me...yet. The closest I've gotten was a look of non-approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    A common one awarded by my wife is "that smells like camel's ass."
    We call them "animalics"

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    We call them "animalics"
    Ba-Dum-Chuuuh If only she understood.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

When I had SMW on one arm and Al Rehab Silver on the other, my mother and brother couldn't tell the difference but my father said that SMW smelled nice and Silver smelled like a perfume of choice of a hooker. I was surprised my mother didn't ask my dad about where his knowledge of hookers' smell come from:-)

Hilarious.

Our lovely housekeeper, Ms. Rose (40 something and loves rose fragrances, coincidentally) said to me one evening, after a 1 spray application to the chest..

"Wooooh?! What is that smell? You smell like death! I can smell you from the garage!" (a good 20 feet away.)
    "Please dont wear that in the middle of the night, I might smell it and think ghosts are haunting me."

Vintage 1994 YSL Kouros

LOL
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

Years ago in junior high a friend gave me a bottle of fragrance, and being young and dumb, I badly overapplied it. I dipped into my locker and kept applying it between each class period. I arrived early to one class, and a person subsequently walked in the door, crinkled up his nose and loudly said "ugh, it smells like church in here."

I once wore Tabac Blond extrait to a garden party in the south of France,(in very hot weather) and a friend of mine said I smelled like a 17th century whore.
    I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the evening. He was probably right.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Basenotes Plus

None of my fragrances are sentient, to my knowledge, so I don't think they get offended.

I'm indifferent if someone doesn't like what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    A woman I didn't know once did at a club

I said that I had the option of changing fragrances but that she would still look like a horse in the morning
    I didn't know you met Sarah Jessica Parker!

Two people just commented that something in our office smells... smells like hospital.

Fragrance: White Aoud.

Lol, I wonder what would they say if I wear Black Aoud or Dark Aoud...

Anyway, one attractive lady checked me out (turned head) when I passed by her few minutes after I applied it... so I take it as a compliment.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 30th January 2014 at 02:36 PM.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    There are some hilarious replies in here. "You smell like an idiot," might be my favorite one.

Anyway, I was wearing Invasion Barbare today, a young woman enters the room where I'm working and says, "It smells strange in this room…." "That's coffee" her friend replies (I had just used the coffeemaker). "No, not that …there's something else…it's weird…it's like cheese and balsamic vinegar and sweat."

While wearing LIDGE at a social gathering someone said, "Yo! Did someone step in dog shit? It smells like dog shit in here."

And once when I was wearing Terre d'Hermes I walked past someone and heard him say, "It smells like a horse's ass in here."

I still am not 100% sure those comments were in reference to what I was wearing, but I certainly thought twice the next time I reached for LIDGE and TdH.
    Lol.. nice comments.

I wish that my dog has shit that smells like LIDGE. I would not hestitate to share bed (for sleeping!) with such dog.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Bump.

More?
    (Formerly Jouho)

No insults that I can remember. At least not in modern times. There was a comparison of CK Obsession to "bug spray" back in the paleozoic era of my formative years. That's all I can remember. Trying to think......

No, can't think of anything. I can live within the boundaries of society and recognize that dudes who are into this stuff have to partake judiciously.

Once i wore Aramis, a female colleague remarked that i smalled like an old prostitute.

"You smell like an idiot" is just such a great line, I can't stop thinking about it. I love that moment when one is insulted but the insult is just so funny you have to laugh at yourself and the whole awkward thing becomes just funny. Henceforth this line should be the default fraternal greeting of basenoters.

I wear my fragrances very lightly so rarely get a negative comment. The wife of course has to get her 2 cents in, but she has provided no really great lines. A typical comment would be dry and sardonic, like - walking past as we get ready to go out - "well, I guess I won't bother wearing perfume tonight." Or, the well timed cough and grumble..."you're choking me!"

Only negative comments I received were while wearing MFK Oud:

"What's that horrible smell, it smells like one of those cheap chinese air fresheners in here" by a colleague of mine when he entered my office

"Eeeeewww, it smells like shit in here" (like, literally...) by a 9 year old girl while giving me an accusing look of shock and disgust...

Still love it though...

I dabbed on some Ramon Monegal Mon Cuir and a buddy at work asked if was wearing old lady perfume. I said it wasn't me. I happen to agree with him on this one.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    Once i wore Aramis, a female colleague remarked that i smalled like an old prostitute.
    I could not have resisted replying, loudly: "Wow, how do you know what old prostitutes smell like? Go ahead, tell us."

Hasn't happened yet. Knock on wood