Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default your most special fragrance moment?

My most special fragrance moment was trying Millesime Imperial for the first time sometime in early 2012 when I had just started the fragrance journey a few months ago. I had never tried niche before. It was something really magical and really special. I wear it today and it's still excellent stuff, but it just doesn't have that same impact as that first week with it.

What's yours?

Default Re: your most special fragrance moment?

Choosing to wear Balafre as my Wedding Day fragrance. Now every time I wear it, it brings back memories of that special day many years ago.

(2927)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Finding a bottle of Ebene de Balmain.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Choosing to wear Balafre as my Wedding Day fragrance. Now every time I wear it, it brings back memories of that special day many years ago.

(2927)
    That's hard to beat.

Back in 2004 I ordered samples; I remember that particularly Piper Nigrum and Santal Noble made me realize that fragrances can be much more than what can be found in department store counters.

Another that springs to mind is when I wore vintage No. 88 in university library where I was writing some essay. The year was 2005. It was absolutely intoxicating, it blew me away. At the same time I felt that it's way too big of a fragrance for me to wear. Nowadays I feel more comfortable wearing it.

In 2009 my wife wore Teint de Neige in our wedding. Both the dress and the fragrance were white as snow. It was great for the occasion.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 11th January 2014 at 09:40 AM.

10 minutes after applying Sahara Noir for the first time, that's when the Frankincense was unleashed on my skin ( in a good way).
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

First time I sampled Green Irish Tweed...walked around the mall for ten minutes smelling my wrist, and was blown away. How could a fragrance smell that good? Made a bee line back to Neiman Marcus and bought it.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Navyy8 View Post
    First time I sampled Green Irish Tweed...walked around the mall for ten minutes smelling my wrist, and was blown away. How could a fragrance smell that good? Made a bee line back to Neiman Marcus and bought it.
    I've been similarly blown away by the beauty of GIT as well.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    I've been similarly blown away by the beauty of GIT as well.
    Me too. Though now I'm kind of used to it and that's a bit sad.

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    That's hard to beat.
    Yeah. I shall seek to beat it by wearing 19 sprays of Aventus when I get married. It could go one of two ways.

First time I tried vintage Amouage Homage I was totally wowed. At that point I had never experienced a fragrance so lush in it's opulence that it was totally breathtaking.

Bay Rum - Takes me back being a child in my Dad's bedroom getting ready to go out for a special occasion...

For me, it would be difficult to decide on one specific moment, since there are almost too many special moments (of almost equal intensity, instructiveness, uniqueness etc.) to keep track. Testing and/or wearing most of the fragrances in my "owning" and "tested" list, especially for the first time, may easily be summed up as a nearly limitless and constantly expanding succession of special fragrance moments.
    Currently wearing: Halston 1-12 by Halston

As I was sitting in church, I couldn't even concentrate on the service as I was being totally entranced with the Pure Havane I was wearing. That experience was just fascinating as, for my first time, a fragrance was gorgeously taking me through its different transitions of tobacco, cherry and honey. I was finally witnessing the stages of a fragrance! Wow!
    My Warm Weather Lineup: Royal Mayfair, Roja Dove Enigma, Xerjoff Nio, L'humaniste, Jardin d' Amalfi, Pure White Cologne, Bergamot 22, Jubilation XXV, CHAMBRE NOIRE, Chanel Edition Blanche, CH MEN, Scent Of Peace, DHS, AVENTUS, GIT, VIW, MI.

First bottle of Kouros 30 years ago.

As a lad, I was smitten with polo green, fahrenheit, drakkar noir, and jazz. I admit my first niche were creeds and were blown away. Later on I was enthralled with amouage and montale. The journey continues.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Blog Entries

There have been a few. I remember selecting perfume for my mother's birthday. I was with my father in a dept store. We smelled lots of things and finally agreed on Coty-Imprévu. Years later, I realize what a good scent it was, especially considering it was probably only a few dollars.

Below is a picture of my mother-aged 19 with a gardenia behind her ear.

I also remember her getting ready to go out and spraying on Arpége EDP. It smelled glorious. It was really the only thing she wore and it was lovely. A few years ago I found out about re-formulation when I tried some in my first trip to a Sephora. What a huge disappointment! How can they even call this Arpége? It smelled like bilge water. A bad joke.

Once when I was babysitting (12 years old) a very classy woman who was a gourmet cook before anyone had ever heard of them. She had left chocolate mousse in the fridge for me! (I do feel bad about this) I went into her bathroom cupboard and found the classic round flat cologne of Shalimar. naturally, I splashed some on. Well! talk about a revelation! And this was about 1969. This was some good stuff. I'm sure she smelled it when she came home. But I was drunk on the amazing, boozy, woody vanilla glory of it. I probably couldn't have washed it off if I'd wanted to. She was so nice though, I hope she didn't mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kumquat; 11th January 2014 at 03:13 PM.
    Currently wearing: Azurée by Estée Lauder

Blog Entries

Dreamer by versace . Good times in HS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    That's hard to beat.
    Hednic,
    I feel that one, Everytime I put on Kouros, it reminds me of that special time many years ago when I tied the knot with my beautiful wife.
    John aka Easykiller
    Currently wearing: Santal Blush by Tom Ford

Dependent

Lyric man. I could never see myself wearing a fragrance like this prior to purchasing it, but with that purchase it was a turning point for me. I can appreciate ambiguity in a fragrance that I couldn't prior to owning it

Just to mix things up a bit, I thought I'd share my most memorable fragrance moment as opposed to my most special:

It was the freshman move-in day at college back in the early 90s. My fragrance "collection" at the time was made up of RL Polo (vintage from my dad) and Fahrenheit. In an attempt to keep the bottles safe during move-in, I wrapped each one up in a t-shirt and shoved them into the center of my brand new duvet, which was still rolled up in and in it's original plastic packaging.

Two of my high school friends were helping me move in. With hands full on one of our trips back to my dorm from the car, one of my friends drops my duvet and starts kicking it down the hallway. Needless to say, my bottle of Polo broke (thankfully, the Fahrenheit survived!), soaking my duvet in green juice. The hall was filled with the smell of Polo and my duvet and room smelled of it for the rest of the year. My first roommate had to move out after our first semester because he couldn't handle the smell. Lol.

Needless to say, I was sick of Polo after that and never bought a replacement bottle.

Blog Entries

Caferacer, a true bummer! What a drag it is to be a poor student dependent on the kindness of strangers. I remember many times; moving accidents, some by paid professionals, too. Artwork is particularly vulnerable, best handled only by the owner, if possible. I have so many delicate vulnerable items, the contents of my house are a ticking time-bomb of accidents waiting to happen.
    Currently wearing: Azurée by Estée Lauder

Many moons ago wearing Lauder for Men for graduation.
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage