Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances you lost passion for

New Haarlem used to be one of my all-time favorites. Now, I find the cedar too heavy (detracting from the gourmand elements), the projection way too strong (one spray could choke someone out if I don't do it carefully) and the overall fragrance a bit too bizarre. A friend of mine told me "Why do you want to smell like pancakes?!?!?!". Well, why wouldn't I? Turns out, at least from the way I see things now, she was right.

How about you?

Default Re: Fragrances you lost passion for

Montana Green - Used to love to wear this sailing during summer months, years back. Now hardly give it a second thought.

(2926)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Issey Miyake l'eau Dissey

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

My problem is quite the opposite.

Fragrances I love that do not wear often enough because I keep looking. Fragrances I didn't like at first, for which I find appropriate circumstances when to use.

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    New Haarlem used to be one of my all-time favorites. Now, I find the cedar too heavy (detracting from the gourmand elements), the projection way too strong (one spray could choke someone out if I don't do it carefully) and the overall fragrance a bit too bizarre. A friend of mine told me "Why do you want to smell like pancakes?!?!?!". Well, why wouldn't I? Turns out, at least from the way I see things now, she was right.

How about you?
    What are you talking about?
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

Some fragrances popular during my youth like Hugo Dark Blue, Paco by Paco Rabanne etc. Some of them are still good, but I have tested many more fragrances that I like even more and/or suit me even better.

Well timed question, as I just realized yesterday that I may have fell out of love with Dior Homme.

No more aquatics for me, ever.

Cool Water. Quite a few others who I liked at first but then lost interest in. Not a bad thing as I try to slim down the collection a little.

Givenchy Gentleman now reminds me of beer halls and throw up.
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Jardin d' Amalfi, DHI, Clive Christian X,, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

There's a few I won't buy again

Terre de Hermes
    LIDGE
    Black Orchid
    Keihls Musk
    MKK
    Hugo Boss

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Well timed question, as I just realized yesterday that I may have fell out of love with Dior Homme.
    Unfortunately I feel somewhat the same. Still think it's great but I don't get excited any more by it.
    I also had a very quick love affair with Le Male. Tested it and had to buy it. By the time it arrived and I sprayed it for the second time the affair was over...

Encre Noir is the first one that came to mind.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 12th January 2014 at 04:07 AM.

Terre d'Hermes…sort of.
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I also had a very quick love affair with Le Male. Tested it and had to buy it. By the time it arrived and I sprayed it for the second time the affair was over...
    The same thing happened to me with Allure Homme Sport.

Ungaro III.

I picked it up in a swap here, and I was really into it. Now... nothing. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I've come so close to doing the same thing so many times. I try to force myself to go through an entire sample before committing to a purchase. A few weeks ago, I was so into Original Santal.

Day 1 With Sample: "OMG! I need to own this!"
    Day 2: "I love this! Or, wait... do I?"
    Day 3: "Uhm... I think it's a pass."
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Ungaro III.

I picked it up in a swap here, and I was really into it. Now... nothing. Meh.

I've come so close to doing the same thing so many times. I try to force myself to go through an entire sample before committing to a purchase. A few weeks ago, I was so into Original Santal.

Day 1 With Sample: "OMG! I need to own this!"
    Day 2: "I love this! Or, wait... do I?"
    Day 3: "Uhm... I think it's a pass."

Yes, though even rigorous testing doesn't seem to make that much difference in the end with me.
    I enjoy something new until it isn't new anymore then the process starts again.
    I'm at the point now where I will just grab the odd cheap batch of samples to satisfy the urge for novelty and leave what I have alone until something has been out of the rotation for long enough to pique my interest again.
    I have other hobbies making a comeback at the moment and am kind of relieved not to be spending cash on this one.

I have found that as my nose has "matured" with exposure to a wide range of fragrances, ones that I was initially pleased with have dropped out of favor. Eddie Bauer Adventurer is one that surprised me (the pre-reformulation even), as I thought I'd always love it. Burberry Brit for Men. Gres Cabochard. And I've knocked YSL La Nuit de L'Homme down from love to like (has a synthetic equality that irks me).

Gourmand fragrances. When I first started collecting I purchased a lot of gourmand scents. Now I usually skip over sampling/purchasing them with some exceptions.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Sometimes when I like a fragrance right off the bat, I end up growing tired of it really quickly. The same thing happens much more frequently when I listen to a new song or album. I'll like the poppier, mass-market stuff for a minute before I start disliking it while the more challenging, "it's an acquired taste" albums usually end up making my all time favorites list.

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Sometimes when I like a fragrance right off the bat, I end up growing tired of it really quickly. The same thing happens much more frequently when I listen to a new song or album. I'll like the poppier, mass-market stuff for a minute before I start disliking it while the more challenging, "it's an acquired taste" albums usually end up making my all time favorites list.
    This happens with me as well.

Terre d Hermes , aventus Hugo , chez bond, GIT, DHI, pure anything , gph2
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

I hate to say it but Rive Gauche, I just don't care for any more. Also never wear Brit either.

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    I hadn't experienced this until recently with Eros.... I just wore it too much from the beginning and got tired of it quickly.

Pure Havane
    M7
    Encre Noire
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Basenotes Junkie

Abercrombie Fierce - used to wear it all the time back in the day, but not anymore cause the company kinda killed it for everyone.

Also Pure Malt, get tired from it and I remember even getting annoyed by it the last few times I wore it. Didn't think that could happen, but it did.

Knize 10 Golden Edition. My first mistake was buying too many back up bottles. That put too much pressure on me to stick with it and I wound up rebelling against it.

It's a wonderful scent but also a very weird one. It doesn't create an aura of comfort nor does it seduce me like other fragrances do.

I made peace with the coldness of it but the war will never be won.

This should age fairly well so I will let the extra bottles sit for a while and come back to them in a year or two.

Cool Water & Tommy Hilfiger. They were great in highschool, but now...not so much!

Dior Homme Intense . The 1/3 of my 100 ml bottle has been sitting there for more than 6 months.

I'm sure (or not ?) the love will respark again though, because the same thing happened to me with Pure Malt a while ago, then suddenly i came back to it after 1 year.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Several fragrances I used to like have either bored me or they simply have fallen out my preferences. Here are some

current Caron feminines (with the exception of En Avion and Rose Sacre)
    French Lover
    Serge Lutens La Myrrhe
    Gucci Pour Homme I

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. But do yourself a favor and keep your bottle. That way when you crave it again, you won't need to re-buy it!

Gucci PH I... I found it astonishing when it first came out, but then began to realize with repeated wearings that it is incredibly linear - there is no real development. It's like a snapshot frozen in time of a much better imaginary fragrance that has real development in the dry down.

1 million never sees an any action anymore. It's way to strong and screams attention for school. Not only that it just doesn't smell as good as it use to
    Well enjoying what you're wearing is crucial, it is of the utmost importance to wear something that others like as well.

D&G The One.

Fragrances can be like music... if you over play the same song, you can tire of it.
    There is also the risk that your nose will become accustomed to a fragrance if you over wear it.
    Rotating fragrances helps to avoid these problems.
    I now avoid wearing the same fragrance two days in a row.

John Varvatos Vintage
    Canali
    Le Male
    Joop
    Ambre Sultan

Most of these I still like and/or wear to some extent, but I just don't get excited putting them on anymore. I really wish more fragrances came in reasonably priced 30ml or smaller bottles, so I could use them up and move onto something else before getting totally tired of them.

L'Occitane Vetyver - for a while it was my cool weather standby, now I wear it very occasionally and don't see why.

aquatics for me as well, but I've known this for a long time.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Fragrances can be like music... if you over play the same song, you can tire of it.
    +1
    Happened to me with Rive Gauche. It was such a versatile scent that I would wear it when I wouldn't want to wear anything else and used it so much that I got tired of it. Really loved this amazing scent but got sick of over using it.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Masculines from Frederic Malle EDP line - Vetiver Extraordinaire and French Lover (went through full 100 ml bottles of each). will not buy again. Geranium Pour Monsieur is a great one though))

Avignon by Comme des Garçons... I used to love it, now I can barely smell it for some seconds (too rich, too heavy, too plain!).

Himalaya

I've got bored with Givenchy Play Intense. I still like the opening, but I'm not getting any Coffee or Patchouli from it any more in the base, just some fake smelling woody smell thats not that far from the dreaded hamster cage...

Quote Originally Posted by _Enigma_ View Post
    +1
    Happened to me with Rive Gauche. It was such a versatile scent that I would wear it when I wouldn't want to wear anything else and used it so much that I got tired of it. Really loved this amazing scent but got sick of over using it.
    That's exactly why I stop myself from wearing something too often. I'm afraid that even favs like Kouros and RGPH will become "played out" if I reach for them too often.

Re: a change of heart - Bulgari BLU. Thought I liked it while sampling but quickly tired of it after getting a bottle. Probably just a matter of my nose maturing with time as I've experienced more scents.

Acqua di Parma Colonia and Colonia Essenza. Not sure how or why. Maybe too much else to try out or just got bored of them.

TM pure malt , TM pure havane, TM Amen!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Most of my fragrances! I suppose that's partly why we continue to scour and search.

too many to mention.... One million and Spicebomb sort of rise up!

Black Orchid - too rich, too chocolaty, too fruity, too patchouli, too damn much for me these days. Talk about burn-out.

One million intense helped ruin the original for me. I just smell the cinnamon much more now. Fragrance is now just a hit or miss for me now whenever I wear it. Sometimes its a great mix and still smells good to me. Other times I smell intense and I actually have times I dislike wearing it now...

La nuit... Always been hit or miss for me, and with so much cologne already I have trouble wearing something that I dont know if im gonna like every time now. I think im leaning torwards liking the original more now since it always seems to work.

Guess seductive.. I bought a back up bottle of it since it looks like its getting discontinued. But even though I get a lot of compliments from it, its just kinda boring since its the same thing throughout. Kinda wish I actually bought curve crush now instead for a candyish scent. =x

Guess seductive blue.. I got to smell la nuit frozen at the duty free recently and I think that actually might be a better version of this. I wonder which came out first *rubs chin*

+1 1 Million.

Ugh.
    Last edited by voodoodanny; 14th January 2014 at 11:25 PM.
    Smelling good on a budget!

YSL L'Homme...Winter has taken it out of favor with me due to its suspect longevity. Might make this a Spring/Summer favorite. Use to be my "go to" frag

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

M7 initially I was crazy but now meh.

Lapidus PH. Loved it at first then accidentally over-applied it. It was on me all day and I had to get out of bed to take a shower to try to get rid of it. After that I couldn't stand it and never wore it again. Finally threw it away.

Abercrombie Fierce
    Nautica Competition (Blue bottle).

Wore them both in my early to mid 20s.
    Played out by both me and a billion other people.

None really.
    I periodically fall out of love but then dive right back in later on.
    Same applies to food. I'll crave Thai & westwards cuisine for months then abruptly crave something else.

for swap/sale:

Musc Ravageur was one of my first purchases when I got into perfume in a big way. I finally had to admit the affair is over; it's just too sweet.

does anybody know of warehouse companies that sell at wholesale price Creed, Bond no9, hermes, all types of perfume? Can anybody help me and throw in some names?? I would kindly appreciated.

new haarlem
    pure malt

For me, most of my fragrances seem to become less appealing as time goes on. I know this is just because i have smelled the fragrance so much that my nose has got used to it, but i miss them first wearings of a new fragrance.

E.g, when i first wore pure malt, the berries mixed with the malty note smelled amazing, but now i dont get that berry smell anymore. i still love it, but its not the same. Same thing happened with Le Male, it smelled so amazing when i first got it, i couldnt explain how good it smelled at the time, but now it doesnt smell the same.

Still love them though.