Code of Conduct

Default Escada Magnetism

This local store near my parents place, is offering 100 ml Magnetism for men for $ 110 + tax, but I know if I give him 100 cash he will take it. The place is dead.

Should I buy it? Any owners of Magnetism care to chime in. I tested it out back in 2009.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Escada Magnetism

The juice and bottle is very nice. Not sure about the scent. I hear bad things about the reformulation.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it somewhat unique - fizzy, sweet, peppery, warm, ambery. Some say it has a Cherry or Vanilla Coke bit about it, but I've never really gotten that. I think it had a small cult following from the start, but I haven't worn it much in the last two years and and planned to add it to my sale thread sometime early next week.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by iMac View Post
    The juice and bottle is very nice. Not sure about the scent. I hear bad things about the reformulation.
    I don't think it was reformulated it was discontinued 2009-10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Its the same juice but nothing is special .vanilla ans cherry coke vibe ... you can get the big bottle for 80 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    if you want it that badly and you can get him to accept the cash price - why not. Personally like the scent, and you might not come across it again.

(2930)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

It's an okay scent. I bought two 50ml bottles for $15 each.

I wouldn't have contemplated paying more than say $40 for 100ml though.
    Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

I think there was a reformulation just before they discontinued it. My 1.7 oz and 3.4 oz smelled a little different and they said they were made in different places on the sticker on the bottom.

Its a nice berry scent. Kind of like a less mature version of Versace Man. I say go for it, i missed my chance to buy Magnetism a while back and now i regret it

Post Thanks / Like

I love it and wish they hadn't discontinued it. It smells great on my SO.

One of the first fragrances I bought. It is a very nice scent but lacking in longevity IMO.
    UK Swap Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for decant swaps

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    7) CHANEL Bleu de Chanel
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) CREED Aventus
    10) COMME des GARONS Amazingreen

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

I remember the topnotes , but how is the drydown of it ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can always re-sell it if it's real. But I would get a money-back guarantee in case it's fake. There was a great picture spread that I did of real versus fake, but it's in the Huddler stuff.

Pretty over rated to me. Smells nice from the bottle, and certainly ive smelled it on other people were it has smelled good. But on some people, and me it smells theres a nasty straight up garbage smell. I think this is why it was discontinued cuz this is a very skin dependent fragrance. This smells almost disgusting at times.

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of those scents I'm so bummed that I missed out on. I remember hearing these were all over Ross and Marshall's in mid 2010....I went all over the place(even drove to a Marshall's 120miles away)looking for a bottle. Unfortunately all I found was a TON of the feminine version!

From what I recollect, the drydown was was woody ambery somewhat like GPH I.
    @ Redneck the store is very reputed, its in the mall and they dont sell fakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm another one who missed this one. I just have little remnant amount of shower gel, which I ration out slowly. With all of the dialogue one finds here about price tags north of $150 or even triple that for large bottles of niche names, I don't think that $100-150 is too much to spend on a discontinued name that you like, even if the original msrp was lower than that. But I say that with one big caveat. My experience with buying "vintage" fragrance has ranged from superb to almost awful, depending on how something was stored. Lotta bad bottles out there, especially on ebay. As for Magnetism itself, it's a nice berry sort of fragrance, not overly astringent, not overly sweet, but I don't love it enough to play vintage roulette.

Post Thanks / Like

The drydown is very balsamic/sweet and spicy with a very slight touch of leather and powder. GPH's drydown is much drier with incense and vetiver and lacks the sweetness, though it shares some other notes. Magnetism also seems a bit more tenacious at this point where GPH because fairly soft and close to the skin.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, Magnetism smells like an almost slightly feminine version of Armani Code, with a sort of grape like accord/note, similar to that "Red Bull" note from CK One Shock, if ya know what I mean.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Milan SRB View Post
    Its a nice berry scent. Kind of like a less mature version of Versace Man. I say go for it, i missed my chance to buy Magnetism a while back and now i regret it
    I definitely see the similarity with Versace Man. Must be the saffron.

I like this scent, but I don't think I'd spend $100 on it. It's just a decent designer fragrance. BTW, there's tons of samples on ebay!

It's great juice if you like Amber, worth the bottle IMO.

As mentioned above, the drydown is sweet ambery and the projection is superb (go light on the trigger).

Don't expect a complex scent though, this one is fairly linear.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great amber drydown..
    longevity is superb..
    if it's that dead offer him 80..
    Negotiate!!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Escada: purple little devil panty dropper..lol

Post Thanks / Like

I should have stocked up on these back when they were 24.99 for the 3.4 oz at TJ Maxx several years ago. Even though I didn't care for the scent, the smell is certainly provocative, and fragrances like these go for big bucks when they get discontinued. Lesson learned.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Post Thanks / Like

I have first hand experience both as a buyer and seller of Magnetism. First thing to remember is that there are many many fake versions on the market. Some are even so close to the original that it is hard to tell if you are a newbie.

Do yourself a favor and check for the lot code on the bottom of the bottle. It is like a small removable sticker, with a format e.g f3561 usually placed on the main label on the underside of the bottle. If none there then it is most probably a fake. If lot code is embossed on box , then it is a fake.

I honestly dont see what all the fuss is with Magnetism. Certainly very likeable . Now , given how rare real bottles are to come by, I would caution against spending too much time on finding the real deal. If the one you find is genuine , 100ml 3.4fl oz , I would not go over $100 for it.
    Chic is all about humor. Which means chic is about intelligence. And there has to be oddness-- most luxury is conformist, and chic cannot be. Chic must be polite and not incommode others, but within that it can be as weird as it wants. - LT

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I think there are two important things to address here.

1) Because it is discontinued and still in demand, I'm sure there are many fakes (though it still blows my mind that people are able to make a fakes. That means you better have a good return policy if the bottle you get is less than authentic.

2) There are DEFINITELY two formulations of Escada Magnetism. Now before people tie me to a stake for such a claim, I want to second the comments made by 1280adam. Not only are the cities of production different on the two bottles, but they smell very different. I bought TWO bottles from TJMaxx only to sell them here because they were flat, short-lived, and didn't really smell as opulent as I had always read in reviews. Then I bought someone's used 50mL on the "Item for Sale" board, and WOOOW! It was like wearing the most heavenly aroma of root beer! It just sings off the skin, though it does smell a bit feminine. It is quite beguiling though. I can't even wear more than a spray and a half because its so potent. The other bottles I sold always faded within an hour no matter how much I put on. I'm talking night and day difference over the course of several hours.

So my advice is to shop wisely. If you can't exchange/return it, I wouldn't gamble on it. By the way, my bottle says "Made in France" by Scannon and the batch code is written in white font. So perhaps that will help you evaluate it. Good luck!
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Lancme Hypnse
    Lanvin Avant Garde
    Zegna Intenso
    Dior Homme Intense
    Thierry Mugler Taste of Fragrance
    Prada Amber Intense Pour Homme

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Thanks for the tip, so where is the reformulation made and where is the original formulation made?

Quote Originally Posted by OlfactoryExperience View Post
    Ok I think there are two important things to address here.

1) Because it is discontinued and still in demand, I'm sure there are many fakes (though it still blows my mind that people are able to make a fakes. That means you better have a good return policy if the bottle you get is less than authentic.

2) There are DEFINITELY two formulations of Escada Magnetism. Now before people tie me to a stake for such a claim, I want to second the comments made by 1280adam. Not only are the cities of production different on the two bottles, but they smell very different. I bought TWO bottles from TJMaxx only to sell them here because they were flat, short-lived, and didn't really smell as opulent as I had always read in reviews. Then I bought someone's used 50mL on the "Item for Sale" board, and WOOOW! It was like wearing the most heavenly aroma of root beer! It just sings off the skin, though it does smell a bit feminine. It is quite beguiling though. I can't even wear more than a spray and a half because its so potent. The other bottles I sold always faded within an hour no matter how much I put on. I'm talking night and day difference over the course of several hours.

So my advice is to shop wisely. If you can't exchange/return it, I wouldn't gamble on it. By the way, my bottle says "Made in France" by Scannon and the batch code is written in white font. So perhaps that will help you evaluate it. Good luck!
    So your 50 ml is made in France, where as the reform made??

Post Thanks / Like

Last word of caution . I like you purchased one of my "fake" bottles too from a reputable dealer. Sold at a premium price. Only after getting expert advice , I subsequently found it to be a very accurate replica. Most of the "authentic" cues were there. However one very subtle tell tale sign made all the difference. In fact the juice itself was darn close to the real deal. The item was returned to the place of purchase. The retailer was adamant it was real. After pointing out the one key difference he did not know of , a full refund was issued. Luckily for me, and now armed with all my newly gained knowledge I tracked down a real bottle. In my few years as a collector, this still stands out as the "find" in the bunch.

By the way , even the cheap knockoffs say "Made in France" on the labels. Counterfeiters are now wise to the lot code "label" and now issue the fake ones with that label as well. It took me four attempts at getting an original before finding the real deal. Bear in mind that was some time ago.

To put into perspective, many serious collectors have had Magnetism on their radars for some time now. The last remaining 5ml good bottles are selling for $40 a piece. Now, not to be a spoiler, but chances that item you are looking is for real are frightfully slim.

In any case, lets all hope you make an educated decision. Good luck !
    Last edited by stanmar; 17th January 2014 at 12:10 AM.
    Chic is all about humor. Which means chic is about intelligence. And there has to be oddness-- most luxury is conformist, and chic cannot be. Chic must be polite and not incommode others, but within that it can be as weird as it wants. - LT

Post Thanks / Like

To be completely honest, I don't really remember BUT after a little research, I learned that Escada licensed its fragrances with Scannon through 2005 when the fragrance butchers known as P&G Prestige Beaut bought the licenses. We all know how P&G loves to water fragrances down to their most modest & minimal accords (D&G Pour Homme is a CLASSIC example of their handy work). So if I had to guess, I'd bet the locale on the newer bottles say U.K. but I am leaning on the testimony of 1280adam below. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    I think there was a reformulation just before they discontinued it. My 1.7 oz and 3.4 oz smelled a little different and they said they were made in different places on the sticker on the bottom.
    Last edited by OlfactoryExperience; 18th January 2014 at 01:42 AM.
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Lancme Hypnse
    Lanvin Avant Garde
    Zegna Intenso
    Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

If I recall correctly, it was near this time (2006/7) when Ungaro III started being produced from Italy instead of France and that's, for me, when the whole reformulation issue took hold as the differences were quite noticeable.
    The Bark Bites Back.

This fragrance had the best plum accord period. Even better than amouage silver cologne.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

So the scannon version is good , the PG Beaute version is the one to avoid?

Post Thanks / Like

So the scannon version is good , the PG Beaute version is the one to avoid?
    As far as I can tell, that is the best clue available. But I would wait for other EM owners to chime in first.
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Lancme Hypnse
    Lanvin Avant Garde
    Zegna Intenso
    Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

Right after posting yesterday I took out my Escada Magentism (Scannon) and for the heck of it did a side by side comparison with some others. Not even a full spray of Magnetism was applied. This morning I am still smelling it like it yesterday. Remarkable longevity. Even the drydown holds onto that distinct plummy effect....almost like a liquer in fact....never going all musk like so many other good fragances habitually do.

I believe out of the 3 other versions of Magnetism tried before landing on this one, two were watered down. Maybe the P&G reform perhaps?. The other had the lot code embossed on the box cover and was the worst in the bunch. Probably coming from the Middle East judging by the general amount of arabic writing on the box.

All things considered, the Scannon version might very well be the only pick of the bunch.

Thanks for the tips! I will find out on Monday.

I came across this thread by chance but I have a brand new never used bottle of this stuff that I got as a gift years back,this was way before got into collecting and had an appreciation for fragrance but I never cared for the smell that much but kept the bottle just for the hell of it. I know it's authentic juice it's the 50ml and it says made in France Scannon SA in white lettering on the box and there is a sticker on the bottom of the bottle with what I think is the batch number 0155EE. Can anyone tell me if this bottle is worth anything? Should I keep it or sell it? Any info would be much appreciated..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to that store they have 2 sealed bottles 100 ml and 50 ml.
    Both are Scannon, the 100 ml dates from 2010 ( 0195EE)
    The 50 ml dates from 2006 (60164CT).
    Thats what makes it odd because by 2010, Scannon was no longer producing Magnetism.