Code of Conduct

Default I love New-York, which Nicolaï fragrance do I go for next?

What's a good masculine fragrance of theirs that is not New-York?

btw, I live in NYC and won't be traveling to Paris any time soon, so I'll have to rely on the only two shops in NYC that stock a few selections from this house: MiN and New London Pharmacy.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: I love New-York, which Nicolaï fragrance do I go for next?

Baladin is a nice leather spicy scent that might interest you.

(2944)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I can't think of another citrus like New York. I enjoy Odalisque, that also has some of the chypre aspects, and it's perfectly masculine despite being marketed to women. Baladin is a vetiver that, as hednic was saying, highlights the leathery, rubbery aspect of the material.

And Cologne sologne is the perfect eau de cologne (in the sense of traditional recipe), very fresh, pleasant, and perfect for a quick refreshing (but, as an eau de cologne, it is not intended to substitute a perfume).

cacio

Patchouli Intense is exceptional. Longevity and Projection are way above average.

I am halfway through my bottle. It has been a wonderful experience but I am saving the other half for a warm romantic climate...perhaps the Carribean. You will know what I mean if you purchase it.

It is quite seductive and a great date juice.

Some reviews mention no Patchouli but it's in there buried in the VERY BACK.

Basenotes Plus

I am currently enjoying Amber Oud and Rose Oud. Don't know if they are masculine enough for you but totally unisex to me. Please sample when you have a chance. Below is the review from a respected blogger.

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...=1389363335372

New York is pretty much an individual piece of work - I own a few others in the line but they're different styles, really. Nicolai PH is a solid mint lavender fougere, Vie de Chateau Intense veers a bit sweet for me, pre-IFRA Odalisque is terrific.

If you haven't already I would actually suggest you try Tiffany for Men, which you should be able to find in one of the NY Tiffany Boutiques. It's more of a chypriental but shares a certain classic elan with the original New York (which I understand has now been altered a bit to make to IFRA compliant, altho haven't tried the recent version yet).

Carre d'as and Baladin should be on your radar from this house.

For warmer weather PdN's, I like Cedrat Intense, Cologne Cedrat, Cologne Sologne and Balle de Match.
    Basenotes sales: Rare Tiffany for Men Concentree, TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Cologne Pomelo Paradis & Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris fragrances, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Institution JiveHippo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

(2944)
    My first thought. Masculine leather like NY, but less citrusy, more herbal.
    Currently wearing: 1681 by Carthusia

I enjoy Patchouli Homme (now Patchouli Intense, seems to be weaker) and Nicolai Pour Homme.

Great Throbbing Member

Vie de Chateau and the Intense version are excellent and unlike anything else out there that I've come across (save the recently-reformulated Patou pour Homme). Baladin is very good as well.
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Power Where You Need It

Beside New York, my picks would be Vie De Chateau Intense and Baladin. I'm probably one of the very fewo to also like her Vetiver. A much underrated / overlooked house IMO.

If you want to venture in their feminine range, Le Temps D'Une Fete would be my first choice. Then Eau Trquoise and Odalisque.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

baladin and nicolai pour homme

I really enjoy Vanille Tonka and Maharadjah. Would like to sample more PdN.

Vie de Chateau Intense would be my first suggestion.

By the way, the guy in the London Nicolai boutique tells me they're discontinuing a bunch of the perfumes, including Vanille Tonka, Le Temps d'Une Fete, and a few others, to get down to a core line of about 10.

Also OP: when I was in a couple of weeks ago, there were some heavily discounted Nicolais in New London Pharmacy. On a little shelf in the back of the store facing the pharmacy department. I can't remember what all of them were, but it might be worth a look if you're in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

(2944)
    +1 for Baladin
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Mazzolari

Amber Oud Intense and Rose Oud Intense are worth checking.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kielecki View Post
    Amber Oud Intense and Rose Oud Intense are worth checking.
    Is there an Intense version of Amber Oud and Rose Oud?

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Is there an Intense version of Amber Oud and Rose Oud?
    If you look on the back of the box, they call them intense

Default I love New-York, which Nicolaï fragrance do I go for next?

+1 for Vie de Chateau Intense. Completely blew me away the first time I smelt it. I am now a happy camper because my wife was feeling especially generous when we popped into the tiny tiny London boutique last week (she's addicted to Maharadjah as a room fragrance. You can imagine how good our house smells at the moment!).
    Last edited by andym72; 12th January 2014 at 11:24 PM.
    Currently wearing: Joop! Jump by Joop!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kielecki View Post
    If you look on the back of the box, they call them intense
    Now it's odd. The print on the front shows Amber Oud or Rose Oud but the sticker on the back lists Amber Oud Intense or Rose Oud Intense.

Haven´t smelled the Oud duo. but her Musc Intense feels more like a rose oud to me - and I love it. Easily Masculine.

Vie de Chateau Intense is one of the best dry, smokey, herbal scents I´ve ever smelled. It was a 250ml purchase for me... and I´ll soon need another. Awesome. I may even prefer it to New York, which is starting to feel aged to me.

The Eau lines gets a lot of flack here, but if you want something fresh but at a higher bar than the slew of designer sport fragrances out there, L'Eau Mixte is a delicious minty citrus (with a raspy grapefruit note) that gets lots of complements. She has expanded this line greatly and I haven't smelled the latest 2 or 3. Also like L'eau Chic... but I really like a clean laundry smell on a plain white shirt in the summer, an this hits that on the nail. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. I also use it as an expensive but perfect pillow;sheet spray too. haha.

Majaradjah Intense
    is being discontinued... a very spicy, cinnamon-centered scent but I like it for festive occasions.

Patchouli Intense is a DARK, rooty, wintery patchouli. Also rumored to be soon discontinued. Get it while you can.

Nicolai pour Homme (Still available?) Fresh Lavendar with a licorice or star anise element that is very distinctive.

Baladin did nothing for me. Limp and nondescript. Even the women at the PdN counter, upon smelling it on me, said "non". Maybe just my skin chemistry. Same for Carre d'as. The major masculine-promoted fragrances really paled in comparison to the works of art above... all easily unisex.

I like some of the vanilla-centered fragrances here (many with a very nice Frankincense note) but they tend to lean more feminine so I'll keep them out of this discussion.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Ubar, Tribute, Homage, Badr Al Badour, Opus VI & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861 Renaissance, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale, Fidelis • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Cafe Milano, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Vintage Baque • MDCI Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Nawab of Oudh Intensivo • Papillon Anubis • Bogue Maai • Ormonde Jayne Nawab of Oudh Intensivo