Code of Conduct

Default Starter fragrance for an 18 yr. old guy...

Hey guys this is my first post on basenotes, just figured out I need a little help on choosing my next cologne. i'm
    completely new to fragrances but i'm actually planning on having a starter set. So far i've only had one which is
    liz claiborne curve. i really like the smell of it. i do get the green, mossy notes (everyone is saying) which i think
    is very clean and fresh. but i need another one which has a different vibe to it, not something that smells anything
    or exactly like curve cause i don't want to have 2 of the same scents/smell. i'm an 18 yr old guy by the way. i live in
    Manila and it's like summer everyday so i'm leaning towards aquatics or citrus scents for my next purchase. right
    now i'm looking into one of these: acqua di gio, l'eau d'issey, bvlgari aqva, cool water, allure homme sport. any
    opinion would be appreciated, especially from those who own any of the above. anything that's easy to like, safe,
    and smells pleasant is a plus cause i just basically blind buy stuff off of the internet. you can suggest something
    else that's around the price range of the others. thanks in advance!

Default Re: Starter fragrance for an 18 yr. old guy...

My choice would either be ADG or L'eau d'Issey both are "classics" and cant really go wrong with either......I haven't tried but have heard good things about Nautica Voyage as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post
    My choice would either be ADG or L'eau d'Issey both are "classics" and cant really go wrong with either
    Agree. Two good choices IMO.

(2953)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

ADG, but I far prefer the Essenza version.Second on my list would be Bvlgari Aqua. I like the scent, but the longevity is horrible on my skin. Perhaps you can go to the Greenbelt or Mall of the Asia and do a lot of sampling

I like Allure Homme Sport and ADG, but the Essenza version. If you're looking for a nice safe or citrus fragrance, try Bleu De Chanel and Dior Homme Sport. My cousins in Bacolod wear those and they love them.
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

1 Million

Creed Royal Water....

When aiming, be sure to aim your best!

Quote Originally Posted by FreshSmell View Post
    Creed Royal Water....

Interesting recommendation - for someone of 18?

O.P. - ignore the Creed hype on here, there's plenty of other stuff around.

looks like adg's winning... anyway i'm hoping to see more sugestions. thanks for the reply guys!

Creed Royal Water....

I like Creed but sometimes I can see where the anti-Creed people get their ammo from. OP is 18 and specifically asked for something from the same price range as the ones he listed...

that being said, agree with others on ADG... also Bleu de Chanel and Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Versace Pour Homme would be a less expensive alternative that smells very similar). A few good ones that are even cheaper would be Nautica Voyage, Perry Ellis 360 Red (very similar to ADG), and Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts.
    Last edited by mjones602; 13th January 2014 at 12:39 AM.

L'eau d'Issey is a good starter. I started off with Bvlgari Aqva though

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    I like Creed but I can see where the anti-Creed people get their ammo from. OP is 18 and specifically asked for something from the same price range as the ones he listed...

that being said, agree with others on ADG... also Bleu de Chanel and Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Versace Pour Homme would be a less expensive alternative that smells very similar). A few good ones that are even cheaper would be Nautica Voyage, Perry Ellis 360 Red (very similar to ADG), and Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts.

I really dont care what state of mind some of these people are in, and whether they want to allow themselves to use negative thinking as ammo. Seems to the be the issue across the globe where others get judged upon someone else's ideas or thoughts which are not harmful to others. If I were 18years old again, I'd wear Creed, Tom Ford Private Blend, and Ensar Ouds like its no tomorrow. If I like it, I like it regardless of whatelse is available on the market.

Lastly, we're in the internet information-era and personally with the ever increasingly cost/inflation on goods and services someone is always willing to sell a "real/legit" fragrance for a few peanuts because either their rent is due, bills are piling up, or its something they dont care much for as when they first bought the unwanted scent. I've purchased fragrances on mulitple occasions for 75%-80% off the retail price. In fact, one basenote member just bought 30ml of Creed Aventus for $30 last week. So it's not hard finding something of great quality for a reasonable price.

On a side note, this was not directed toward your personal feelings. Just know not all people like Creed, and eventually they'll also begin to not like you because of your personal taste. Keep enjoying your personal taste no matter what, and hopefully someday others will become more intelligent and not concern themselves with your personal opinion as they have done so against me.

Bvlgari Aqua for everyday use. Pure Malt for going out and dates.

Basenotes Plus

Hello and welcome. The fragrance you have in mind right now are a!l great. They are all good for summer like weather. You should also give bleu de Chanel a try

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by expressway View Post
    I like Allure Homme Sport and ADG, but the Essenza version. If you're looking for a nice safe or citrus fragrance, try Bleu De Chanel and Dior Homme Sport. My cousins in Bacolod wear those and they love them.
    This is almost exactly what I was going to say. Dior Homme Sport is wonderful in the heat - excellent performer. That would be my top recommendation.

I'm a Creed fan too - but they are pricey, so be careful. But I would be dishonest not to say that Virgin Island Water is my main hot summer fragrance. It's cool, subtle coconut, and works very well in an office environment. I always gravitate back to it, and have a big bottle.

Acqua di Gio Essenza is great stuff in the evening in summer, when cooler winds start bringing down the temperatures outdoors. You can get brilliant sillage that is just awesome.

Yuzu Man by Caron is pretty interesting and the price is good. Depends on whether you like yuzu (which makes it a bit like L'Eau d'Issey, but perhaps more unique). It's a nice, cool, summer fragrance. Very subtle but penetrating, a bit like Acqua di Gio.

And welcome to Basenotes!!!

Blog Entries

If I were 18years old again, I'd wear Creed, Tom Ford Private Blend, and Ensar Ouds like its no tomorrow.
    I hear you.

I remember wearing Givenchy Gentleman back in high school, when nobody around me wore anything like it. I would never, ever, under any circumstances change that decision. It changed everything in ways I never understood, and still don't understand, but I'm very glad that it did so.

That's why when this one drama kid in high school came on here determined to wear Mitsouko, I was very happy to see everybody here supportive of his wish to be different, and not trying to talk him into a herd fragrance. We had to give him a bit of encouragement at times, because there were a couple of his classmates who weren't making it easy for him. But I think it would have been as wrong to talk him out of wearing Mitsouko, as it would be to try to trick a very conformist, image-conscious kid into *wearing* Mitsouko.

High school kids have a very good idea of who they want to flower into, but they also have a lot of peer pressure in which they're trying to grow. It's a tough age - you're all plans and no experience, even though 16-18 years seems like you've been alive forever! I made a lot of mistakes.... but not my fragrance!

i've actually heard a lot of good things about creeds (git, aventus, viw, etc...) if only i had the money...
    great suggestions though, i'll add those to my list. i'll do a lot of testing whenever i have the time...

There's nothing wrong with Creed fragrances as such, but please don't feel hyped to splash money on suggestions that might be outside your budget.
    Do let us know what you decide on!

"The one@ D&G or Bleu de chanel !!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

ADG, Bleu de Chanel or Allure Homme Sport.

Banned
    Blog Entries

360 Red is a great cheap scent

ADG, Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, Issey and John Varvatos Artisan are good ones for any age in the heat.

Regards,

TC
    Last edited by The Colognnoisseur; 19th January 2014 at 12:03 PM.
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

Basenotes Member

Designer - Bleu de Chanel, Man eau Fraiche
    Cheapie - 360 red
    Niche - L'humaniste

Basenotes Member

Double posted :/
    Last edited by nurc; 20th January 2014 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Double posted

Hi,
    You could try out Allure Homme sport, Allure homme sport edition blanche, ADG, Cool water, Aqva, Bleu de chanel.
    Any of these, if you and your budget approves, will be good for you imo.

All are excellent choices. I'd say to go with l'eau d'issey to start with. I get mad longevity and projection with this one. Over 24 hours on my skin. ADG is nice but Perry Ellis 360 Red is just as good. If you are looking for something different I would choose Costume National PH. Lots of compliments and you won't smell like a lot of others.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    I like Creed but sometimes I can see where the anti-Creed people get their ammo from. OP is 18 and specifically asked for something from the same price range as the ones he listed...

(Versace Pour Homme would be a less expensive alternative that smells very similar). A few good ones that are even cheaper would be Nautica Voyage, Perry Ellis 360 Red (very similar to ADG), and Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts.
    I like this suggestion the best. I would recommend getting some slightly cheaper scents, which will allow you to get a few. You're new to perfumes, so this will let you have a little variety, while at the same time getting you acclimated to the world of fragrances and all its different ingredients. You won't go broke, and you'll smell great!

I can't recommend Bleu de Chanel. Its too expensive and not unique enough. 360 red is great perfume. And no matter what part of the world you're in, its cheap as hell!

Also, Ed Hardy Love and Luck. Its cheap, and smells great. Especially for someone your age. Some even say it smells like a certain Creed!

Good luck!

You may want to check out Dior Homme Sport. It's a very clean, nice, versatile, nice-smelling fragrance that could be worn on a number of occasions both formal and informal. You can find it at a decent price as well.

You cannot go wrong with Bleu de Chanel. It is high quality, WAY better made than others you'd smell on guys your age. It smells terrific (and others will tell you it smells terrific). I also don't think it's ANYWHERE near as common as scents like ADG, so it's unique in that sense (then again, I don't get out much so I can't be certain). High quality with mass appeal.
    Last edited by cwill; 21st January 2014 at 09:16 PM.

Deleted.
    Last edited by kaustubhc95; 22nd January 2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Comment posted as new thread