Code of Conduct

Default Use of the word, "lotion", to describe perfume.

Does anybody know how "lotion" corresponds to liquid perfume. I don't mean lotion as we generally think of it, the moisturizing cream that we smooth over our hands and bodies. I mean the use of the word to designate a bottle of perfume. This questions comes up because I recently saw the word "lotion" on an old perfume bottle. Would a lotion be like an EDP, a cologne, an EDT, or what?

Default Re: Use of the word, "lotion", to describe perfume.

I have an old bottle of Caron Les Pois de Senteur Che Moi lotion. It wears like an EDT, almost like an EDP.

Helg speaks to the term a little in the comments section of her blog here: http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...fragrance.html

One of the many terms once used to describe non-parfum concentration. EdPs are relatively recent things, they started in the 70s-80s. Before that, there were parfums/extraits and then something lighter. which often brands suggested should be splashed onto a parfum to revive it, or the like. So there were eaus, eau de cologne and the like. And lotions as well. I don't think one can make many inferences as to the concentration, other than they were not extraits. They can be quite strong relative to modern stuff.

I see the term used a lot in vintage spanish-south american stuff (or marketed to), where it's called locion (or sometimes with the deiclious name locion de tocador).

cacio

Yes, I have a big bottle of Aņeja Lavanda labeled as such (locion de tocador).
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

Blog Entries

My mom has Chanel No 5 as a "lotion". It's milky and not as concentrated as an EDP or Extrait. I think it has less alcohol and something slightly creamy added. It's still a spray and doesn't wear like skin creme or anything.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I have an old bottle of Caron Les Pois de Senteur Che Moi lotion. It wears like an EDT, almost like an EDP.

Helg speaks to the term a little in the comments section of her blog here: http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...fragrance.html
    How old is your bottle of Les Pois de Senteur Che Moi?

Thank you, BNers, for explaining this. I am trying to figure out if I want to spring for a vintage bottle of Je Reviens lotion and needed to get an idea about its relative strength as compared to the extrait.

Royall Lyme refers to what we would call colognes as lotions, and it seems like I read somewhere, maybe on their web site, that its sort of a geographical/cultural thing.

Quote Originally Posted by vbrown View Post
    Royall Lyme refers to what we would call colognes as lotions, and it seems like I read somewhere, maybe on their web site, that its sort of a geographical/cultural thing.
    Thanks for adding this information. I'll see what Royall Lyme has to say.

Thanks for the info, and for asking a question I had been wondering over Curly!

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    How old is your bottle of Les Pois de Senteur Che Moi?
    I don't know. If I were to guess, I'd say it was from the 1930s.

It was still wrapped in the original Caron paper when it arrived. The paper and also the box tends to crumble when handled no matter how careful I try to be. I managed to ruin the top of the box completely; it broke off at the folds. The lettering on the label is colored gold and black, alternating between the colors with each letter. The lettering on the box is the same - only in gray and yellow. I rec'd it and opened it in 2009. It continues to smell great but I've been giving it out decants of it as "extras" often in the belief that since it's so old, and now opened, it should be enjoyed before it starts to turn. There's about 2 ounces left from the original 5.75 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I don't know. If I were to guess, I'd say it was from the 1930s.

It was still wrapped in the original Caron paper when it arrived. The paper and also the box tends to crumble when handled no matter how careful I try to be. I managed to ruin the top of the box completely; it broke off at the folds. The lettering on the label is colored gold and black, alternating between the colors with each letter. The lettering on the box is the same - only in gray and yellow. I rec'd it and opened it in 2009. It continues to smell great but I've been giving it out decants of it as "extras" often in the belief that since it's so old, and now opened, it should be enjoyed before it starts to turn. There's about 2 ounces left from the original 5.75 oz.
    I enjoyed reading your description. What a treasure! Owning and wearing an old perfume is like taking part in an archaeological dig. Well, maybe not, but these perfumes do have historical significance and that is part of my attraction to the vintage fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Thanks for the info, and for asking a question I had been wondering over Curly!
    I felt like a dope, but I had to know.

I just learned today that lotion vegetale is actually a perfumed hair tonic.

I just learned today that lotion vegetale is actually a perfumed hair tonic.
    Sorry I'm late responding. Yes, I've seen that description, too. I wonder if my big bottle is actually hair tonic? Somehow I don't think so because it doesn't have an oily feel, but I could easily decant some and spray my hair with it.

The 'hair' link could be the answer. Spraying hair was 'de rigeur' for women years ago.

This one caught my eye.
    0.jpg

Hermes used to make very light oil versions of some of theirs which were probably stronger than the (then) EdT's & more suitable for 'after bath' than applying to hair, but some made something like ?'stilboide' which was for applying to hair.

See
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/278331-Stilboide-Fluid

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guerlain-LHe...-/220821782701

Which may indicate that Danieq's purchase is not a hair oil?
    Last edited by lpp; 21st January 2014 at 08:59 PM.

The research I've done indicated that Stilboide is considerably more oil than the lotion vegetale. Mine should be arriving today and I will report back when I have tried it.

I am curious to know what you discover about the stillboide. Did you get Hermes or Guerlain or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    This one caught my eye.
    0.jpg

Hermes used to make very light oil versions of some of theirs which were probably stronger than the (then) EdT's & more suitable for 'after bath' than applying to hair, but some made something like ?'stilboide' which was for applying to hair.

See
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/278331-Stilboide-Fluid

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guerlain-LHe...-/220821782701

Which may indicate that Danieq's purchase is not a hair oil?
    Thanks for this, lpp. I've never heard of a stillboide. My iPad wants to correct the word into 'still oxide'.

Here is what I've found. What I purchased was a very old Guerlain Lotion Vegetale in L'Heure Bleue. (sorry Curly, I haven't purchased a Stilboide)

In the bottle, the liquid appears very light, somehow, it looks less substantial than typical perfumes and colognes. I think this is born out by the fact that this is mainly an alcohol product. The scent is true to L'Heure Bleue, no disintigration of top notes or anything of the kind. I decanted into an atomizer (it's a splash bottle) and sprayed very generously. The result is very light, very little sillage or projection.

I had wondered whether spraying this on the hair would result in a greasy look, but now I am sure it would not. Instead, you'd have very lightly scented hair. This will pair very nicely with an EdT, EdC, EdP or Parfum, but will not substitute for any of them. Consider this my public service. If you were looking for a body fragrance or mist, you could likely use this in that capacity as well.

Thanks for the info. danieq!

Stilboides do still come up for sale occasionally, Curly11 - possibly in the event of spell checks permitting!

From the previous threads, it appears that they may be stronger than danieq's lotion - it would be interesting if anyone here knows more?

Always something new to be learned here!

It's amazing what may sometimes be discovered reading threads here

'Cocaina en Flor' might not be particularly wonderful but the ad. campaign was interesting.

Last edited by lpp; 22nd January 2014 at 12:33 PM.

Quite interesting! Thanks for sharing Lpp.

(3271)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks, hednic - the history fascinated me.
    http://www.abc.es/20120928/archivo/a...209271806.html

That is very interesting LPP, thanks for sharing it.

As to the Lotion Vegetale and Stilboide fluids, there is very little info to be found and so I decided that the only way to know was to try it for myself. I'm no chemist so I'm not 100% certain that my assumptions are correct as to the content, but I'm pretty sure that my observations of how it worked on my skin are accurate, LOL.

Yes - thanks for being the guinea pig for us, danieq!

lpp, you never know what you'll turn up when searching the www. I couldn't tell if the perfume contained actual cocaine or not, but I enjoyed the images and the audio recording.

Here is what I've found. What I purchased was a very old Guerlain Lotion Vegetale in L'Heure Bleue. (sorry Curly, I haven't purchased a Stilboide)

In the bottle, the liquid appears very light, somehow, it looks less substantial than typical perfumes and colognes. I think this is born out by the fact that this is mainly an alcohol product. The scent is true to L'Heure Bleue, no disintigration of top notes or anything of the kind. I decanted into an atomizer (it's a splash bottle) and sprayed very generously. The result is very light, very little sillage or projection.

I had wondered whether spraying this on the hair would result in a greasy look, but now I am sure it would not. Instead, you'd have very lightly scented hair. This will pair very nicely with an EdT, EdC, EdP or Parfum, but will not substitute for any of them. Consider this my public service. If you were looking for a body fragrance or mist, you could likely use this in that capacity as well.
    You have performed an important service, danieq!

Glad to serve Perfumistas and Perfumistos where and when I can!

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    lpp, you never know what you'll turn up when searching the www. I couldn't tell if the perfume contained actual cocaine or not, but I enjoyed the images and the audio recording.
    It's more difficult now that 1000 Fragrances is no more, Curly11, but this seems to be the most informative source so far - it would be great to sniff this one but I'm reluctant to go for the lotion, particularly as we are now hit by much inflated customs charges/handling fees/taxes, etc. - if the stuff even arrives.
    I'd probably risk it for the perfume 'though.

lpp, thank you for including the delightfully disjointed translation of the article about Cocaine en flor. The image of the cannabis leaf at the very end was amusing.

Amazing what's out there, Curly11