Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default I think I need to split my collection seasonally...

so I don't grab another spring/summer scent in morning haste. I wore Bleu de Chanel today and it's just out of place. I think I will put away my fresh scents for the time being until spring arrives. I've never done this before, but it seems appealing to me.

I know many on here don't wear scents based upon seasons/weather but I always have. Tonight I will attempt the big split.

Fall/Winter:
    Bentley Intense
    TF Noir de Noir
    TF Italian Cypress
    Creed RO
    Creed OS
    LIDGE
    JV Vintage
    Spicebomb
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Frapin Caravelle Epicee
    Creed Himalaya
    Chanel Egoiste

Spring/Summer:
    Creed GIT
    Creed SMW
    Creed MI
    Gio Essenza
    Bleu de Chanel
    Bond No. 9 ILNY for Father's
    Creed OV
    Terre d'Hermes
    Follia di Aquarama d'Ulta
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Water
    Last edited by ChuckW; 25th January 2014 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I think I need to split my collection seasonally...

Like you, the weather plays a big role in my decision of what to wear for the day.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to let the weather lead my choices also but I don't split my collection.

I might do something similar to you, which is make certain fragrances exclusive for winter/colder fall wear.

The reason why is this example : Eau des Baux. I bought it late summer and wore in october when the weather was still mild, and everytime i wore it, it gave me a headache. I took breaks then came back to it after weeks, still same outcome. I was seriously considering giving it away.

Then today i decided to wear for the first time since the weather got colder and it was perfect. Finally i was enjoying every single whiff of it.

It's true that one should wear fragrances depending on mood, but sometimes weather plays a big role in my opinion....
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to organize my collection so that, from left to right, it looks like this: Daytime Casual, Daytime Formal, Versatile Fragrances (day/night), Night-time casual, Night-time Formal. I'm not really into the whole "seasons" thing as the "occasion" is what matters most to me.

You have it broken down pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Weather doesn't play a huge role in what I wear, but I definitely don't wear the citrus stuff in winter. It does seem out of place to me and almost a waste.

Last summer I wore 2 sprays of Tobacco Vanille. I thought I was going to die!

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could go seasonal but since it's 81 degrees here today the so-called winter fragrances don't make sense. The High End has a good breakdown.
    Last edited by Trilby Lark; 13th January 2014 at 08:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Would bump Terre D'Hermes to the Fall/Winter rotation. Although appropriate for Spring/Summer, seems to pop in coldish weather.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

I think one has to decide what works for him/her. Chuck, you seem to have found the right division that works well for you. It looks like it was well thought out IMO.

(2999)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Like you, the weather plays a big role in my decision of what to wear for the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    You have it broken down pretty good.
    This is what I would say. But you do have quite a few that could go in multiple categories.

Post Thanks / Like

I put away my warm weather scents this evening. I think I will enjoy this actually. My winter wardrobe will finally get a decent workout. I'll switch them out in April. That's when it warms up here.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW ChuckW, that's a nice looking collection you've got. How do you like TF Italian Cypress? I'm on a never-ending quest to find an alternative to the discontinued AdP Cipresso di Toscana (Tuscan Cypress)...

Nice Collection.

Be careful putting away your non - season frags, it may make you think you need to purchase more.

I also wear scents based on season, maybe I will look into shelving the out of season one's. Its a good idea, because you cannot grab the wrong one and also enables your scents to be stored correctly when not in use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    so I don't grab another spring/summer scent in morning haste. I wore Bleu de Chanel today and it's just out of place. I think I will put away my fresh scents for the time being until spring arrives. I've never done this before, but it seems appealing to me.

I know many on here don't wear scents based upon seasons/weather but I always have. Tonight I will attempt the big split.

Fall/Winter:
    Bentley Intense
    Armani Code
    TF Italian Cypress
    Creed RO
    Creed OS
    LIDGE
    JV Vintage
    Spicebomb

Spring/Summer:
    Creed GIT
    Creed SMW
    Creed MI
    Gio Essenza
    Bleu de Chanel
    Creed Himalaya

Bond No. 9 ILNY for Father's
    Creed OV
    Terre d'Hermes
    Follia di Aquarama d'Ulta
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Creed Aventus

I have a few more in my collection, but this is just off the top of my head. A few of these can go both ways.
    Interestingly, those Summer/Spring scents I've marked in your quote I prefer to wear in Autumn and Winter, and (when a had a decant) I was happy wearing Aventus at any time other than the coldest winter. That's not to say there aren't some scents I limit to certain seasons/weather/climates.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I'm finding as a measure of keeping certain fragrances off the spray-today list, is the weather. If it's really hot out, I am not going to wear a heavy fragrance. No dark moss. No thick leather. No syrupy oud.

Otherwise, I don't mind spraying on a lighter scent during winter months. It's just that heat of the summer... that's the time that really keeps certain fragrances at bay.

If some fragrances definitely feel relegated to certain times of the year for you, by all means there's nothing wrong with handling them in whatever way that suits you. But just because a season changes, I don't think it means you should banish some of your favorites because of it. Wear them whenever you feel like it, as long as the outside conditions are compatible.
    Last edited by cytherian; 14th January 2014 at 12:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Interestingly, those Summer/Spring scents I've marked in your quote I prefer to wear in Autumn and Winter, and (when a had a decant) I was happy wearing Aventus at any time other than the coldest winter. That's not to say there aren't some scents I limit to certain seasons/weather/climates.
    Yep. I moved YSL Rive Gauche and Himalaya to my current rotation. I also left out Calvin and Frapin Caravelle Epicee from my winter list.

I left out Creed Royal Water from the summer list.

Post Thanks / Like

Very simple heavy ones for fall/winter...light fresh ones for Spring/summer...obviously there is always some that transcend spectrum of seasons and are stars that shine at any time and moment Like per se Royal oud...peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents"

Post Thanks / Like

BTW ChuckW, that's a nice looking collection you've got. How do you like TF Italian Cypress? I'm on a never-ending quest to find an alternative to the discontinued AdP Cipresso di Toscana (Tuscan Cypress)...
    I love it and so does my wife. It really is a hybrid of vintage Halston Z-14 and Polo. Really nice old school vibe.

Post Thanks / Like

I have now updated the list to reflect where I have split them. The summer scents are now in my closet away from light and heat. Himalaya, Rive Gauche and Caravelle Epicee are year around for me and they will stay in the rotation.

This now represents my entire full-size bottle collection.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, my active rotation scents for winter are on my dresser in my bedroom, also away from light and heat.

Post Thanks / Like

used to believe in seasons (and still do)..then wore Giorgio for Men on a hot summer day.. and I saw THE TRUTH!

Good job on the list Chuck. Well-thought out and sensible. I'm a bit less organized, but I do give thought to the scent I'm wearing each day. However, I almost always go with what suits my mood or the occasion over the season. It just works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oproust View Post
    Good job on the list Chuck. Well-thought out and sensible. I'm a bit less organized, but I do give thought to the scent I'm wearing each day. However, I almost always go with what suits my mood or the occasion over the season. It just works for me.
    What works for you is always best! I just got tired of grabbing a good looking bottle and then regretting my decision. This reorganization takes the temptation away. I had read a few years ago about another fellow doing this, and I really like the concept. It made my process much simpler this AM. I need all the time savers I can get.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to echo some of the others here and suggest, if you haven't already done so, that you try TdH in the fall. to me, it works just as well in the cooler months as it does in spring or summer.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to echo some of the others here and suggest, if you haven't already done so, that you try TdH in the fall. to me, it works just as well in the cooler months as it does in spring or summer.
    I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks perfect, Chuck. I (mentally) divvy my scents by season as well, and although this may seem a bit odd, I find it builds up a certain amount of "anticipation." For instance, right now in the middle of winter, I look at all those bright, citrus-y frags and absolutely can't wait to drench myself in them come summertime.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to do this. Even with just 40 bottles I get overwhelmed trying to figure out what to grab.

Post Thanks / Like

This is working out great for me! I am actually wearing some scents twice a week now. I feel much better about my collection and I'm getting good use out of it now. I have 13 bottles in my active rotation and it makes my SOTD selection a more enjoyable process. For once, this is a decision that's working out perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    This is working out great for me! I am actually wearing some scents twice a week now. I feel much better about my collection and I'm getting good use out of it now. I have 13 bottles in my active rotation and it makes my SOTD selection a more enjoyable process. For once, this is a decision that's working out perfectly.

I'd probably do this too if I lived in a place that actually has seasons. Lol.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my collection. Then divide them into "mood" (dark, light, fresh, skanky, etc.)

Post Thanks / Like

very nice, I like it!
    I also tend to use TdH on spring/summer.

Post Thanks / Like

This feels like a very natural thing to do. It also shows me on a daily basis how many scents I own that cover this season, and the coming warmer months as well (when I peek at the "summer" tray in my closet).

The weird effect it is having is that I am a lot more satisfied with my current collection. I only have two scents on my wish list and my current drobe is down to about 26 in all, year around.

So all in all, I'm getting a lot more than I bargained for in a very positive way.

Post Thanks / Like

While certain frags lend themselves to certain seasons, It's not a big issue for me. I work in an air con office and drive to work.
    I may pay more attention to seasonality at the weekends.

Post Thanks / Like

I also like to split my fragrances by season, but there are several that are truly appropriate for all seasons. From your list, I would say BdC is good for fall/winter day and spring/summer evenings and both Himalaya and TdH work well during the fall/winter days and spring/summer days. I also find that splitting up my collection helps me not to get overwhelmed when picking out a fragrance. Sometimes when there are too many choices, it is easy just to grab the fist bottle in sight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thehighend View Post
    I tend to organize my collection so that, from left to right, it looks like this: Daytime Casual, Daytime Formal, Versatile Fragrances (day/night), Night-time casual, Night-time Formal. I'm not really into the whole "seasons" thing as the "occasion" is what matters most to me.
    +1. The same for me as my collection is pretty extensive. Then I also have a versatile group for minor meetings, grocery shopping, rehearsals, etc.
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Gucci II, Tuscan Leather, Reflection Man, Midnight In Paris, Geir Ness, Pure Havane, DHI, Costume National 21, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: Verdon Eau de Toilett

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    I also like to split my fragrances by season, but there are several that are truly appropriate for all seasons. From your list, I would say BdC is good for fall/winter day and spring/summer evenings and both Himalaya and TdH work well during the fall/winter days and spring/summer days. I also find that splitting up my collection helps me not to get overwhelmed when picking out a fragrance. Sometimes when there are too many choices, it is easy just to grab the fist bottle in sight.
    Eliminating that "overwhelming" feeling has been a major benefit of this wardrobe split. It was so easy to just grab Creed Royal Oud and know that it would be perfect for a cold day today. There's no tempation to grab what IMHO would be an out of season, out of place choice.