Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Chanel no.22 used to be mimosa bomb, remember?

When I bought this (Chanel no.22) back in 1979, I remember it as a white-hot, powdery mimosa bomb. Does anyone else remember this former iteration? Now it is an incense/woody formula- completely different. I wonder when they changed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Chanel no.22 used to be mimosa bomb, remember?

Interesting, I am not familiar with vintage No 22. I have not usually seen it referred as mimosa bomb. Mimosa needs heliotropin, so, if that's the case, this could be yet another IFRA consequence.

cacio

Blog Entries

This was over 30 years ago. I actually liked it at first, bought an EDP but when I wore it, it gave me a headache and I had to return it. I kind of wonder if that's why they changed it. Maybe I wasn't the only one.

Smile Re: Chanel no.22 used to be mimosa bomb, remember?

Or... I'm almost convinced it's our noses that change

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    This was over 30 years ago. I actually liked it at first, bought an EDP but when I wore it, it gave me a headache and I had to return it. I kind of wonder if that's why they changed it. Maybe I wasn't the only one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyty View Post
    Or... I'm almost convinced it's our noses that change
    It must sound crazy, but I have a good scent memory.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    It must sound crazy, but I have a good scent memory.
    My money's on Kumquat's nose.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    My money's on Kumquat's nose.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. This smell is burned into my brain, I'll never forget that headache. I sprayed it on and sat through a movie. Ugh!

Sorry! I'm new here and was joking and didn't mean to offend anyone!

Basenotes Plus

Please don't worry, Tyty - our noses do mature but a lot of us do remember the oldies fairly well!

I was reluctant to respond, but I think I have to. Once again, mimosa for me and cacio comes from acacia family -- it starts blooming right now around the Mediterranean, a myriad of fluffy yellow dots on whimsical dark green sturdy leaves. Quite fresh, green and yellow smelling, captured perfectly in Bob Mackie Masquerade and L'Artisan Parfumeur Mimosa pour Moi, somewhat in Guerlain Champs Elysees and not so much in Patricia de Nicolai Mimosaique. It is also that unabashed floral that captured my attention in Ramon Monegal Impossible Iris, not iris, ironically. There is no mimosa for/on me in Caron Acaciosa.

There has never been any mimosa in No.22 on/for me. White flowers, incense, powdery pillowy clouds. Different flowers now, than back then.

Here in this country (due to some error back in the day???), mimosa is something entirely different: whimpy smelling, silky and white hairy blooms, not unpleasant yet very faint.

Blog Entries

http://www.nstperfume.com/2006/10/31...erfume-review/

I found these reviews. It seems the notes were actually, tuberose, ylang ylang and orange flower. And they do seem to verify my memory that the white flowers were stronger back then, so that part was probably true.

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...nel-no-22.html

http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...HANEL22DW.aspx
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th January 2014 at 01:52 AM.

Blog Entries

http://www.perfumeintelligence.co.uk...es/Chanel1.htm

Another link shows this perfume was re-launched in 1989. I guess that was when they must have changed to the strong incense it has now.
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th January 2014 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    There is no mimosa for/on me in Caron Acaciosa.
    Although it's OT, but, Wolfie, I think it is meant as an homage to the black locust. I found reference for the same misuse of the terms in French as in German. We refer to the black locust tree as 'Akazie', 'Acacia', although it's latin term is 'robinia pseudoacacia'.

I have a 100ml edt from what I thought was the 90s. I bought it in to the manageress of my local counter and she dated it from the 80s!!!! Lets say I was very very surprised. Now my one has developed into a sillage atom bomb of gorgeous, the colour is a deep amber.

I get lots of incense from it but also monster floral( I cannot pick out mimosa in the mix), a little powder but I would not call it a powdery fragrance.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Caron's Farnesiana is the yellow mimosa one?
    Referring to Acacia farnesiana.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID10210581.html

Robina pseudoacia is the white flowered 'black locust'.
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=R...rfumes&f=false
    robinia-2.jpeg
    Last edited by lpp; 17th January 2014 at 10:43 AM.

Yes! How could I forget? But mimosa there is noticeable only in the beginning. Farnesiana is a floral gourmand, almost edible -- light years before the genre existed! -- sweet vanilla bun of a scent. Wanna bite a piece of your wrist? LOL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I have a 100ml edt from what I thought was the 90s. I bought it in to the manageress of my local counter and she dated it from the 80s!!!! Lets say I was very very surprised. Now my one has developed into a sillage atom bomb of gorgeous, the colour is a deep amber.

I get lots of incense from it but also monster floral( I cannot pick out mimosa in the mix), a little powder but I would not call it a powdery fragrance.
    Ok, the white florals are probably what I'm remembering. I recall they were extremely powerful. I'm glad I found that 'Perfume Intelligence' piece that mentions it was re-worked in 1989. And TPC also says it was discontinued.
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th January 2014 at 04:37 PM.

I would believe kumquat if she finds it changed, I think a scent which makes a really strong impression on you is remembered correctly.
    I thought, years ago that my nose had changed when I didn't like my new bottle of my beloved Miss Balmain, actually couldn't wear it. When I came to basenotes I learned that they reformulated it. I still know how it should smell.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I have vintage, pre-exclusifs parfum and edft as well as the current edt of No22, and as far as I can tell the biggest differences are the amplified aldehydes in the top and the incense in the base of the new stuff, but the opulent floral heart seems relatively unchanged to my nose ...I never got any mimosa either, though ...jasmine, rose, ylang, orange blossom and iris, but no mimosa.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

I think the reason I was thinking of mimosa is because the effect was similar to that of Amirage. I don't want to mix apples and oranges and confuse the issue. But in my mind (1979, remember) the white flowers were super intense and there was very little incense, at least compared to the treatment it receives now. I suppose you could say it was creamy to a fault.

I never smelled it back then, but interesting that you smell incense now. I don't smell that at all, but creamy to a fault my accurately describe what I smell tonight! Well, and aldehydes.

Blog Entries

Well, I thought it was interesting; I found this old ad that seems to reinforce my memory of the powerful white floral here.

And those flowers are mimosa?
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

I doubt it. Just lots of white flowers. It looks like stephanotis and roses. Just for the photograph. There was a description with it that said it was 'an old fashioned floral perfume'.
    Last edited by kumquat; 20th January 2014 at 04:37 PM.

I see, I remember mimosa as small yellow balls. With a lovely smell! You can buy them at florists in the right time of year.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus

Yes - mimosa is the yellow stuff to us lot in Europe - but lots of people in the U.S.A. apparently refer to the white flowered & highly fragrant Robina pseudoacacia (Black Locust) as 'mimosa'.

Minor hijack alert:

I *adore* the smell of black locust flowers in the spring. None of the nurseries sell black locust trees around here because it's considered a "weed" tree -- you only see them here in the wild. And it's a shame -- the tree's spindly, crooked trunk and branches have a lot of character, and its leaves create a lovely dappled sunlight effect. But the smell of its flowers is unmatched by anything else native to Nebraska -- except perhaps the wild flowering plum. I walk around with my nose in the air from late April to early June, trying to catch whiffs of of them. I can't get enough. Too bad I can't abide Carons.

Oh, how interesting! I looked it up, beautiful! Now I want to smell it!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I love the smell of wild honeysuckle as i ride out in spring.
    In the Netherlands of course, I suppose that's over now :'(
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Minor hijack alert:

I *adore* the smell of black locust flowers in the spring. None of the nurseries sell black locust trees around here because it's considered a "weed" tree -- you only see them here in the wild. And it's a shame -- the tree's spindly, crooked trunk and branches have a lot of character, and its leaves create a lovely dappled sunlight effect. But the smell of its flowers is unmatched by anything else native to Nebraska -- except perhaps the wild flowering plum. I walk around with my nose in the air from late April to early June, trying to catch whiffs of of them. I can't get enough. Too bad I can't abide Carons.
    It's a seriously invasive alien over here as it not only seeds profusely, but throws loads of suckers!
    It's lovely when in bloom 'though.

Basenotes Plus

Not sure about the Netherlands, in the U.K. it's just starting to shoot rather too early....