Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Worst blind buy purchased.

I bought Kanon Norwegian Wood from TJMAXX recently. For only $10 It wasn't a complete waste, however I definitely do no and will not wear this fragrance. What is your most distasteful fragrance that you bought by a blind buy?

Default Re: Worst blind buy purchased.

Secretions Magnifiques by L'Etat Libre D'Orange was my least favorite smelling.

(3007)
    Last edited by hednic; 14th January 2014 at 04:27 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

My worst blind buy was Lomani Pour Homme. I promptly gave it to a friend at church that really enjoyed it.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

A*Men

Salvador Dali Pour Homme gift set.

EDT smells like death, but the body wash is delightful.

(Kanon Norwegian Wood for $10 is a great deal, IMHO.)
    "Flagrantly fragrant and they can't escape me. My perfume pursued them everywhere that they went.
    You don't want a loan, leave my cologne alone. It's a little too strong for you to be putting on".
    - Lupe Fiasco

A*Men + Joop! Homme. I sold both of them. I couldn't convince myself of keeping them, tried many times.

ungaro 3

Sound Scents

A three-way tie between these for sure:

Geir by Geir Ness
    Briar Rose by Ineke
    Nicolai pour Homme by PdN
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Guerlain Vetiver
    English Leather
    Dolce & Gabbana Ph
    Quorum

Dirty English, Declaration Bois Bleu, Drakkar Noir, Safari, Chrome, XS, Sex Pistols. Not because all of them stink, some just were terribly boring.

Bond No. 9 Harrods Oud

Lutens Serge Noir, Iceberg Homme, One Million, some others which ended in my gf wardrobe....

PdE Azemoure les Orangers

btw, a high quality scent , that is very nicely blended but not accommodating well on my olfactory !
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quite a few - like Gucci Guilty, Chanel Allure Homme sport, both being blind buys as part of a "lot" I bought.

While this wasnt a blind buy, the newest / 2013 Dior Fahrenheit is terrible too (whoever likes vtg Fahrenheit - stay away from this version - if u compare vintage Fahrenheit as espresso, current version is espresso with 2 litres water added to it - terribly diluted & useless - a shame that it has come to this point). Same with current Quorum, even though it's still quite potent, but a shadow of the vtg version.

Acqua di Selva.

"Blind buying" of decants is a whole other story.
    Last edited by insomniac; 14th January 2014 at 02:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Worst blind buy purchased.

Bulgari Black- smelled like a tire on fire.
    Cacharel- Noa ,strange coffee mixed with powdery notes- not for me.
    Guerlain- L'Instant, honey notes, not my thing either.

I love it that Hednic bought Sécrétions Magnifiques blind! You are a wild and crazy guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kumquat; 14th January 2014 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Bulgari Black- smelled like a tire on fire.
    Cacharel- Noa ,strange coffee mixed with powdery notes- not for me.
    Guerlain- L'Instant, honey notes, not my thing either.

I love it that Hednic bought Sécrétions Magnifiques blind! You are a wild and crazy guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bvlgari Black: I get nothing burning here. Just a rubbery vanilla leather.

So far none. I do blind buy but search out reviews and read carefully before deciding. So far I have had great success.
    DONNA

I want to smell Secretions Magnifique! All the stories make it quite intriguing.

I have yet to have a blind buy that was a complete disaster. I've had some I had to grow into. My first was Bal a Versailles and when I first got it, I thought I'd never wear it, however, as my taste have evolved, I find I do love it.

My least favorite is probably Gres Cabotine, but for $7, I don't consider it a big deal at all.

Kannon Norwegian Wood is not bad IMO. Light woody scent that is not cloying or offending. Now the projection and longevity, that's another story. There is a lot worse out there that cost a lot more.

Blog Entries

Danieq, maybe Hednic will send you some! ;-) Seriously, I seem to recall getting a sample. It stank to high heaven. This stuff is only fit for sabotage. It smelled like a latrine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    Bvlgari Black: I get nothing burning here. Just a rubbery vanilla leather.
    I guess my first impulse was wrong, this was more like tires laying down a patch on hot asphalt- that kind of burning rubber. Your mileage may vary. I just didn't like that smell paired with sweetness. It seemed very odd, and not at all like black tea as I'd read.

Six Scents 5 Jeremy Scott: Illicit Sex

It is said that he was trying to capture the scent of “Men’s gym locker rooms and Vaseline mixed with sweat, all whipped up with a warm towel
    I think he succeeded.

A particularly vile aquatic with harsh sour notes.

I can't remember why I bought this one; there were others in the Six Scents library that sounded better. In any case, the bottle was exiled to a shelf by itself, away from all the other perfumes, where it lay forgotten and covered by rags for years. I didn't rediscover it until a flood caused the necessity of removing damp items from the closet. After I had removed, washed and dried all the damp clothing and towels, the bottle was promptly buried again.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

My worst blind buy was Balmain - Ambre Gris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    My worst blind buy was Balmain - Ambre Gris
    Could you say why? I've thought about getting this but never got around to even trying a sample.

Must be the Immortelle which makes it overly sweet.
    I tried to like it for the spices and bezoin, but the Immortelle killed everything.

And it lasts and lasts ....

Moreover, I found the fragrance boring and unspectacular, very disappointing for a Balmain perfume.

The bottle I find extremely elegant, alas, I had to litter it! Out of sight, out of mind!

Blog Entries

Ah, immortelle is a problem for me, too. Thanks for the warning!

She Wood by D Squared. I couldn't wear it so I gave it away. The bottle was beautiful so I regretted that the scent was unbearable.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Mugler Pure Shot
    Polo Red
    Kiehl's Musk

Annick Goutal Heure Exquise. The fragrance that taught me I hate galbanum. I never got the iris, just bitter green.

Lutens Iris Silver Mist. I had plenty of expectations and I was sure I would have loved it judging from what I read... lipstick, carrot, lipstick and carrot. I was not even "disappointed", I was more on the sad side, thinking "well, everyone loves it, that must be me". Then I got over that - I still think it is me, perhaps I do not like iris as much as I thought.

Black XS. I don't mind "synthetic" scents at all. Actually, I welcome them, but I despised Black XS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Lutens Iris Silver Mist. I had plenty of expectations and I was sure I would have loved it judging from what I read... lipstick, carrot, lipstick and carrot. I was not even "disappointed", I was more on the sad side, thinking "well, everyone loves it, that must be me". Then I got over that - I still think it is me, perhaps I do not like iris as much as I thought.
    I had to try this at least 3 times before I fell for it. It's the Iris root, not the flower. (Maybe you've already heard that.) so it's a very earthy, dusky kind of thing, like something that was dug up out of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIceman View Post
    Black XS. I don't mind "synthetic" scents at all. Actually, I welcome them, but I despised Black XS.
    I don't blame you as it's one of the worst fragrances I've had the misfortune to smell. I mean no man should be proud of smelling like strawberries.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    She Wood by D Squared. I couldn't wear it so I gave it away. The bottle was beautiful so I regretted that the scent was unbearable.
    That's one of mine too. I don't actually want to smell really pungently of Parma Violets and nothing else.

Also Christian Lacroix Tumulte pour Homme. which makes my head hurt with the concentration of cedar.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    I had to try this at least 3 times before I fell for it. It's the Iris root, not the flower. (Maybe you've already heard that.) so it's a very earthy, dusky kind of thing, like something that was dug up out of the ground.
    ".....Lutens had commissioned an iris to end them all from Maurice Roucel. The story goes that Lutens pestered the perfumer to turn up the iris volume to the max, and Roucel in desperation decided to put in the formula every material on his database that had the iris descriptor attached to it, including a seldom-used, brutal iris nitrile called Irival....."

Blog Entries

Sorry to say, this was early on- the lure of the "cool" bottle. Blah!

The men's version is some stanky stuff.

Blog Entries

One thing I've learned- when stuff is cheap- there's usually a reason for it.

Here's one for me, I recently bought a vintage bottle of Gres Cabochard. I absolutely hate it, my husband hates it, it's just wayyy tooo something for my tastes.

Blog Entries

Either you hate galbanum, or the scent is spoiled and has gone off. Is the juice light gold or dark brownish?

It's light gold. I don't think it's gone off. Reminded me of Miss Balmain, which I tried recently and didn't care for. Hope I don't hate Galbanum since Vol de Nuit is full of it!

Blog Entries

It could be that you aren't liking leathery scents. And that could be a problem - I hope you do like VDN! Please allow a long dry down.

Ooooh, it's such a shame that I live in a country that doesn't like importing perfumes danieq, or I'd offer to buy your Cabochard off you.

I love Cabochard
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Actually, I adore leather. Leather has been huge on my list lately. I've been falling madly for Shalimar, Cuir de Lancome, Cuir Mauresque, Cuir de Russie, A Fleur de Peau. It's not the leather. Actually, I was confused that I didn't smell the leather in Cabochard.

Sfmedusa, I wish I could send it to you. I plan to try it again, as my tastes change quickly it seems. But it has something in it that I recall not liking from many years ago.

Grateful it never really happened so far-most, if not all blind buys were well-advised (therefore thanking to Basenotes).

Blog Entries

I bought a 'vintage' Cabochard one time. The trouble was, it wasn't very old. It was quite harsh and thin and heavy on the aldehydes.

I guess I am uncertain how to tell. I can tell you that it was still sealed with an extraordinarily ratty Grey ribbon tied to its neck. The ribbon was certainly old and there were no size markings on the bottle itself. Just the fragrance name.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Blog Entries

If it didn't come in a box, it's possible your Cabochard was exposed to light and thus ruined. As for your dislike of Miss Balmain- the only good ones I've found are the mini square parfum bottles. The EDTs don't hold up well at all.

Don't pay a lot for this. I've never spent much. Some are getting ridiculous!
    Last edited by kumquat; 26th August 2014 at 05:52 PM.

I would say Fleur du Male

24 platinum, really too rose smelling for my liking.

Just blind bought some Stella Rose Absolute. I like the original Stella very much and had heard that this was the same "only more so." But it's not. It's weirdly sour on me. Then again it might just be that it's not a good summer fragrance. I'll try it again in late autumn.

The mens version was given to me as a gift many years ago and looking back it was rather unpleasent. Royal Oud has a similar vibe to it but a way better scent.

Lalique niore... Two sprays and no more.. Still in the box

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Insurrection pure 2. Not very bad, just boring and generic. Tried after that Lomani Silver and found it the same. I haven't smell Aventus, and while I am sure it's better than both without a doubt, I guess it will be a pass for me.

Grey Flannel. Got it cheap and based on reviews I thought I would like it. God, what a mistake that was....
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

One thing I've learned- when stuff is cheap- there's usually a reason for it.
    I think I love you!

Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Plus

Ormonde Jayne's Ormonde Man and Nawab of Oudh. Good fragrances, they're just not my style.

Basenotes Plus

A couple of absolute horrors were Bijan and Rocawear X (which I received in a trade).

Several other fragrances I loved until the basenotes were: Royal English Leather, Bois du Portugal, Ambre Sultan, Pierre Cardin, and a few others. The basenotes were horribly skanky and fecal. I haven't been able to identify the note, but whatever it is only begins to fade after 3-4 days of vigorous scrubbing!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I think I love you!

Back at ya!